Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

My biggest remaining concerns/questions are the following:
Will they feature any Pokémon from Gen 5-8?
Will they even feature all the Pokémon from Gen 1-4? (I assume they will, but who knows?)
Will they have any brand new Pokémon/forms/regional variants? (As someone said earlier, every single main series game since R/S have had at least something new, even if is it just a minor form)
Will they feature things that have been introduced past the original Gen 4 games, like infinite TMs, the Fairy-type, new moves/abilities/items, and more?
How will the following Pokémon work, and will it be possible to turn it off?
Will they have HMs or something else? If they have HMs, will they work the same as in the original games or differently?
Will the Battle Tower be nerfed like the one in S/S, or will it function like the classic facilities from Gen 2-7?
If the latter, will it have upgrades which have been added to the facilities since then, like the split in normal and super lines, and the ability to battle for how long you want instead of being forced to battle in sets of 7?

None of these are deal-breakers for me though, there's still a chance I might get SP independent of the answers to these questions.

Other than that, I am very curious about how Pal Park and Amity Square will work, just like you.
Like Wukong, I would also like to know whether the Exp. Share can be turned off or not. It is not a deal-breaker for me as I can just do a rotating team if it can't be turned off, but it would be good to know about it nonetheless.
And like Siggu above, I also want to know if they will have a PC that can be used from anywhere, just like in S/S.
There are screenshots with Pokemon having their National Dex numbers so I think all the Gen 1-4 Pokemon will be in the game, unless they swap certain Pokemon with Gen 5-8 Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've heard Garchomp be called a lot of things. "Cute" was never one of them.

Not disagreeing with you since it's subjective. But yeah that's definitely a first lol.
Not a Garchomp, but what about this Gabite:
(So dreamy~~)

I don't plan my teams before playthroughs
Infernape is pretty much gonna be my starter of choice when I play BDSP.
If I do get Brilliant Diamond, while I don't plan out my team as Nickeljorn said and let my team naturally form, I may start out with Piplup. Original Diamond I picked Chimchar. I had a great time with Infernape, though that left room for me to easily add Manaphy to my team and they became pretty much my dynamic duo. Sure, I could purposely not have Manaphy on my team this time around, BUT what better way to ensure I don't than habing my Starter be the Water-type. It also changes things up for me as I usually pick Fire-type as my Starter for new games, good time to change things up would be for remakes & additional versions.
After looking at this list you should quickly realize the Kalos starters are conveniently the only ones not accounted for. Especially strange considering how one of 'em is Greninja who is, y'know, only the most popular Pokemon of the 21st century.

But of course, where can they possibly go? It's currently unclear if SWSH will get any more Pokemon updates, PLA seems laser-focused on its self-contained starter mix-and-match, and ofc BDSP can't be it cuz it's just the simple OG Sinnoh remake... right?

(Mentions Sycamore studied under Rowan)

...Hmm.
Would be nice. As discussed previous pages back, recent games have had dexes over 400 so, in addition to having all of the Pokemon from Gen I-IV (except maybe non-Gen IV Legendaries), would be nice to throw in some foreign region Pokemon (aside from the Regional Variants). Kalos Starters easily could be either from Rowan or even have a visiting Sycamore. How others will be available is up to debate...

WAIT! Of course! Mr. Backlot's Trophy Garden! In the original game it didn't feel that special because, sure while you only caught certain Pokemon from it, the species you caught weren't really that notable and didn't feel like something a rich person would gloat about having "my garden has this Pokemon which you can easily find in the neighboring region"! ~Ooh, how special.

BUT, if they move all the original Backlot Pokemon to the Underground to make them more readily available, they're going to need something to have Backlot gloat about having in his mansion. So why not Gen V-VIII Pokemon? Having those in his garden would feel special as those regions aren't next door, certainly gloat worthy. And it would make the fact his poor butlers and maids have to import these Pokemon in funnier.

Still on the fence about buying BDSM due to lack of BF
You don't need a BF to enjoy BDSM. :psysly:

EDIT: Shedinja'd... No I'm not removing it.

daily reminder that Queen Jynx was ROBBED and deserved a cross-gen evo along with electabuzz and magmar. misogyny and homophobia won once again I fear. :psycry:

View attachment 367319View attachment 367320
She deserves something, if Mr. Mime got a Regional Variant & Regional Evo than Jynx should get one too. Since Jynx is partially based on the valkyrie Brünnhilde's last scene in Wagner's opera cycle "Der Ring des Nibelungen" where she sings and leads into the finale (aka where the phrase "it ain't over till the fat lady sings" comes from), I think they should lean in on that and make her into a Valkyrie (would say Fighting/Psychic). But we're getting into wishlist territory so stopping there.

I completely stand by my post's message but if I came off as overly smug or condescending my apologies. The inspiration for making it was an online hangout largely unrelated to Smogon, which I should've gathered didn't apply to this forum. Truth be told I myself am rather disappointed the Frontier isn't back although it's not as severe for me as it is others, and if you're one of them I fully understand.
It's reasons like this why I started being more obvious with my moments of sarcasm. Not that I took any offense, though honestly I'm just tired of hearing about the Battle Frontier. Sad that it's gone? Yes. Is it something that people should make a big deal about needing either to "cope" or try to deny till the very end? No. With all the other issues about the decisions done for the remakes (and the silence about new info until just now) I have more bigger concerns that would result me not getting the game. Put this way: if they REALLY wanted to, Battle Frontier could be added to DLC. More modern-style graphics (for both character models & region), more in-depth story, more characterization, & character redesigns not so much; they had to come with the main package and they're not.

I agree that DP by itself has a decent post-game. What I often see is that people judge the post-game exclusively on the repeatable activities. Sure, a Battle Frontier or a whole new region (or both for HGSS) might be fun for some, but that doesn't mean an extra map or two (DP), half a region (BW, BW2), or an extra story chapter (XY onwards) is bad.
*Pokemon Contests cry in a corner*

Honestly Looker should just be in every game. I was quite disappointed he didn’t make an appearance in SwSh, I will be even more disappointed if he doesn’t show up in BDSP.
My theory is that these games are in the same place on the timeline as SwSh if Looker is in these games, and that will explain why he isn't in SwSh.
I more see if as there was nothing in Galar that set off red flags for the Interpol to send someone to check out. Other regions had their villain team grunts running around attracting attention (or Pokemon from other dimensions ripping open the sky and invading). In Galar the "villain" team running around were just sport fans trying to get in a way of a competition, that ain't Interpol's problem. Now, after Rose trying to cause the Darkest Day may have attracted Interpol's attention, but the games ended by the time Interpol had any chance to respond and send an agent over. Heck, Rose was already under arrest and Macro Cosmos likely being fully investigated so that's been taken care of. Interpol would probably be more interested in questioning Rose and what discoveries was dug up about Macro Cosmos than needing to send a field agent. I like Looker, but he had no real role in Galar.

Ehhh, I'm very wary about a Jynx evo. If they can somehow make it look decent and not very problematic then I'd let it slide, but I think Gamefreak wisened up and just tried to ignore Jynx's existence altogether

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Forget about just one Master Class, how about all five Master Class categories before post game. Lots of work to do there and lots of berry planting plus Poffin cooking to be done to get there. On a side note related to Contests, while I absolutely enjoy them one thing that is a minor shame is that it's unlikely Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina will be allowed in BDSP. Because those three are frankly made for the Contest stage imo, you can't deny it. But if somehow they do allow them to be used in BDSP they would be magnificent Contest mons imo.

Anyway, on to one thing: a little thing this game has going for it over the originals imo is that because it's on the Switch, you can use alt accounts on Switch to technically create multiple save files, which is something all Switch Pokemon games have the ability to do so far because while you only have one save per account, each save file is attached to the account so you can use an alt to do a fresh save without destroying the one attached to your main. This will make BDSP even nicer to replay than the original DP and even Platinum since if I want to do repeated fresh playthroughs of the game again I can just use my two alt accounts without ever having to delete my original playthrough because it's forever attached to my main Switch account. And when I delete my alt playthroughs to play again I can just use HOME (I'm using the Basic Plan) to transfer my teams to my main save so I can keep those mons forever. It's a nice little thing I like about the Switch games that makes them nicer to replay than past games because I no longer have to deal with the psychological threshold of having to destroy my original save to do a fresh playthrough of the game.

Anyway, on to one thing: a little thing this game has going for it over the originals imo is that because it's on the Switch, you can use alt accounts on Switch to technically create multiple save files, which is something all Switch Pokemon games have the ability to do so far because while you only have one save per account, each save file is attached to the account so you can use an alt to do a fresh save without destroying the one attached to your main. This will make BDSP even nicer to replay than the original DP and even Platinum since if I want to do repeated fresh playthroughs of the game again I can just use my two alt accounts without ever having to delete my original playthrough because it's forever attached to my main Switch account. And when I delete my alt playthroughs to play again I can just use HOME (I'm using the Basic Plan) to transfer my teams to my main save so I can keep those mons forever. It's a nice little thing I like about the Switch games that makes them nicer to replay than past games because I no longer have to deal with the psychological threshold of having to destroy my original save to do a fresh playthrough of the game.
This! I get pretty attached to my save files in Pokemon and almost never delete them, and I'm happy SwSh allowed for multiple save files so I can try stuff like nuzlockes and monotype runs.

We saw that one Shaymin lady I think in the first trailer but I'm not too knowledgable about it
Off the top of my head I think that (which they need for Shaymin anyway) and the oreburgh mining conveyor belts moving (which .. probably should have been moving in DP to begin with) are about all we've seen thus far.

There's no snow piles, all the aesthetics that got reworked for Platinum follow their DP aesthetics instead, dont have things like the croagunk board, everything at the Battle Island is rooted in DP's stylings, etc.

There's no snow piles, all the aesthetics that got reworked for Platinum follow their DP aesthetics instead, dont have things like the croagunk board, everything at the Battle Island is rooted in DP's stylings, etc.
Wait so the Battle Zone isn't tropical like it was in Platinum? Just generic routes like in DP? If so that's actually a big negative for me, I'm sorry. The Battle Zone in Platinum is one of my favorite areas in Pokémon. It was beautiful precisely because it represented a stark contrast from the cold, mountainous main region of Sinnoh. It felt like an earned vacation for having won the championship.

I'm getting less and less optimistic frankly.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Due to using Pastoria's DP map, the Croagunk cut-out is now gone.

Folks it's pretty subtle but I think platinum's overworld changes are not in this game!
BTW the Villa is gone too.

Hey everyone, I did an overview of the map and noted a few interesting things, I suggest checking it out (spoilers, there's really no spoilers cause its Sinnoh... unless you were hoping for Platinum stuff...).

Wait so the Battle Zone isn't tropical like it was in Platinum? Just generic routes like in DP? If so that's actually a big negative for me, I'm sorry. The Battle Zone in Platinum is one of my favorite areas in Pokémon. It was beautiful precisely because it represented a stark contrast from the cold, mountainous main region of Sinnoh. It felt like an earned vacation for having won the championship.

I'm getting less and less optimistic frankly.

In terms of the tropics it's possible the map jsut doesnt' reflect it. Platinum's doesn't either, as you can see.

Though I was more thinking of stuff like the Villa.

In terms of the tropics it's possible the map jsut doesnt' reflect it. Platinum's doesn't either, as you can see.

Though I was more thinking of stuff like the Villa.
I didn't expect them to keep the Villa to be honest. I love that feature but GF probably decided it wasn't worth the effort, though it doesn't seem like it would be a lot of development effort.

These aren't deal breakers (Exp. All is though) but this keeps widening the gap between BDSP and Platinum for me. I don't understand why they didn't use Platinum as the template for these games when it's objectively so much better than Diamond and Pearl. There isn't a wider gap between a third version and its pair than Platinum and DP. Even little things like Lucas and Dawn have better outfits in Platinum both aesthetically and suitability wise for Sinnoh's climate.

Oh well. Here's hoping I'm wrong about the Battle Zone tropical aesthetic, though based on Pikachu315111's map analysis that isn't looking likely.

What lovely cover artwork.
From the explainer on the website (translated thanks to DeepL) it will have concept art for BDSP as well as the original DP. That'll be fun.

Also that's not just a different cover the two books are literally Pokemon-ing this: each book will have "slightly different" art in it

didn't expect them to keep the Villa to be honest. I love that feature but GF probably decided it wasn't worth the effort, though it doesn't seem like it would be a lot of development effort.

These aren't deal breakers (Exp. All is though) but this keeps widening the gap between BDSP and Platinum for me. I don't understand why they didn't use Platinum as the template for these games when it's objectively so much better than Diamond and Pearl. There isn't a wider gap between a third version and its pair than Platinum and DP. Even little things like Lucas and Dawn have better outfits in Platinum both aesthetically and suitability wise for Sinnoh's climate.

Oh well. Here's hoping I'm wrong about the Battle Zone tropical aesthetic, though based on Pikachu315111's map analysis that isn't looking likely.
I think the map difference is because Diamond and Pearl sold far more than Platinum, so people would recognize how Sinnoh looked in the original two games more. People would probably question why the map looks different than they remember if they only played DP. The snowier aesthetic and other map changes would seem out of place since it is not how the game actually looked. For BDSP, people would probably notice something is off if they are calling it a remake of one set of game, but have the region otherwise look like a different game.

Its kinda how Kanto in Gen 2 looks a little off when compared how Kanto in Red and Blue looks, because they did not use Kanto from Red and Blue! They used Kanto from Red and Green instead, with the tilesets being changes slightly for Red and Blue, so to people who only have seen Red and Blue, Kanto in Gen 2 looks different than the Kanto you have always seen. Is it a big deal, no, but it took me over a decade to realize why i always thought Gen 2 Kanto looked off.

BDSP is in a weird situation if they were to take Platinum's map instead, because there are enough visual differences between the two making it more obvious that there is something different going on.

I genuinely think most people who didn't know about the Platinum changes would just chock it up to visually updating the game alongside everything else.
Assuing they even remembered "hmmmst wait the DP hearthome was a lighter shade, what on earth is going on here, hope someone got fired for that blunder" - like 10 people probably

Likely it's just a similar reason to ORAS: they for whatever reason what to triple underline bold THESE ARE SPECIFICALLY REMAKES OF THESE, NOT THAT, ergo they take everything from the original pair and almost nothing from the enhanced version, even though they'd be perfectly fine grabbing a few things without incident.

The reason of not using the third version as a base is pretty simple to me: the original pair already has all the relevant version differences.

HGSS didn't have this problem because the only relevant differences between Gold and Silver were Pokémon distribution, so they could just pick Crystal for the Suicune subplot, but Ruby and Sapphire, and to a lesser extent Diamond and Pearl have version differences in the plot (although in DP it's basically just the legendary and whether they keep parroting about space or time).

It's less work for them.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The reason of not using the third version as a base is pretty simple to me: the original pair already has all the relevant version differences.

HGSS didn't have this problem because the only relevant differences between Gold and Silver were Pokémon distribution, so they could just pick Crystal for the Suicune subplot, but Ruby and Sapphire, and to a lesser extent Diamond and Pearl have version differences in the plot (although in DP it's basically just the legendary and whether they keep parroting about space or time).

It's less work for them.
I mean to be fair this isn't really relevant to map design and such. If they wanted to I don't see why they couldn't rip the Platinum maps and then just go "alrighty Dialga/Palkia climax here"

Why people are hating the chibi style?
I think it's cute. It's a game for 12 yo children... We can't expect Infernape to start bleeding if attacked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)