Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Well, unless a miracle happens, seems like for a number of months Diamond and Pearl are their own thing. If we get lucky maybe everyone can play together in the future.

If Sword and Shield get updates with the new Pokemon that would be great though. Remakes would just be for the story, Sword and Shield for the online experience.
GF stated that VGC will keep being on SwSh for time being.
So I wouldn't expect to ever be a crossplay between SwSh and BDSP.

It's also a lot of pointless tech work simply cause while it's a (moderately) safe assumption to think that SwSh will eventually get compatibility for gen 4 pokemon when Home compatibility launches, the other way around is pretty much not happening, so it'd require a very specific game mode to let the two games fight each other (differetly from XY / ORAS who both had the same mechanics, just XY didn't have access to some of the ORAS stuff directly in the game and needed them to be imported).
Moreso when you consider that by the time Home compatibility launches, it'll also be moderately close to gen 9 announcement or even release anyway.

EDIT: For my thoughts on compatability, it's true they've never mentioned anything but with the Union Room existing for specific BDSP communication I doubt there'll be any way for the two to connect, unless they actually put in the Y-comm and you can just access the union rooms from it as a button or something. I still think they could add a bunch of the post gen 4 mons into postgame though, like if the Poke Radar is still around that's a lot of mons to add randomly. I think Sylveon and regional forms have a better chance to be added overall though as they're connected to base mons that are already in the game, so if any mons beyond Gen 4 are added it'll be those before any others in my opinion.

Here's an unlisted video on Nintendo's channel, probably an ad of some sorts. There's footage we've already seen, but also some a few new shots. Shoutouts to pokeleaks for linking it.

1635874698316.png

This is the multi battle in Veilstone City, using the DP team as usual which I don't really mind for this case.
1635874919113.png
1635874928448.png

1635874781858.png

This is probably the Spear Pillar battle with Mars and Jupiter, still using the ambiguous Galactic background.

1635875197463.png

I think this is Lucario using Psychic so that's probably returning as a TM as it's always been. There's also Tangrowth and a Solar Beam shot that looks alright.

I know flint only having 2 fire types is a meme but I feel like it makes his fight harder than usual, since surf spam isn't as effective (rip for da steelix tho). Honestly if this game was pulling from platinum i would have wanted his og dp fight.

Volkner is miserable tho LOL

Yes. It's the new kids turn to get mad at the game at how a mere mortal shark completely dumpsters on the gods, Dialga and Palkia lmao

Not me. All the starters get mindfucked by Garchomp. If not Garchomp, then by her Milotic who just ice beams Torterra to death and forces Empoleon into a stalemate

I don't think Weavile would be of much help. The problem is how move tutors are handled. In pt, Weavile can only get ice punch thru move tutors or egg moves. If the rainy route move tutor is absent like it was in dp, Weavile is just completely worthless. Ice shard does not come close to kill Garchomp, like, at all and you're not gonna be breeding for a regular playthru, most of the time anyway. Icicle crash is also an egg move so unless they add in the tutors, I wouldn't really recommend using Weavile, at least until the updated movesets for the pokemon in the game are released

Oh and don't use Torterra outrage against Garchomp. That shit only does a little over half. Garchomp is ridiculously bulky that non stab dragon or fairy types just bounce off. Even if you have an adamant nature with max evs and perfect ivs, it's not guaranteed to kill unless Garchomp really has no defense ivs with a -def nature
Garchomp gets 2HKO by random shit like stab EQ and stab Surf ingame. It also cant do anything to Torterra but Outrage/Fire Fang (dont even remember if it had firefang) and gets stalled by leech seed, also ice shard does a fuck ton of damage

0 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 192-228 (53.7 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

that is coming from a weavile with 0 evs on atk, neutral atk nature and also 0 ivs con Atk, the worse weavile you can get, against a 31 def 31 hp ivs chomp. Basically, anything you can think of + ice shard rekts garchomp.

It's also a lot of pointless tech work simply cause while it's a (moderately) safe assumption to think that SwSh will eventually get compatibility for gen 4 pokemon when Home compatibility launches, the other way around is pretty much not happening, so it'd require a very specific game mode to let the two games fight each other (differetly from XY / ORAS who both had the same mechanics, just XY didn't have access to some of the ORAS stuff directly in the game and needed them to be imported).
So I'm taking it the remakes will play a good bit differently in battles? I'm assuming no Dynamax. Aside from that, are we assuming different move pools? The more I read, the more they seem like just a graphical overhaul. Omega Ruby/Sapphire were remakes but did bring all the updated move pools (although not much changed if I recall).

Moreso when you consider that by the time Home compatibility launches, it'll also be moderately close to gen 9 announcement or even release anyway.
That is kind of what disappoints me. I don't think we'll ever get a full Pokedex within Gen 8. It would've been nice if a Home & Sword/Shield update was released alongside the remakes, and then another Home & Sword/Shield update during the release of Legends to add in the last few missing ones.

But at best, looking like we'll get around half of the missing ones in mid 2022. Still a big if though.

So I'm taking it the remakes will play a good bit differently in battles? I'm assuming no Dynamax. Aside from that, are we assuming different move pools? The more I read, the more they seem like just a graphical overhaul. Omega Ruby/Sapphire were remakes but did bring all the updated move pools (although not much changed if I recall).
Movepools for existing mons are definitely being updated with Leafage and Growth seen on Turtwig, Water Gun on Piplup, Power-Up Punch on Chimchar, and Leaf Tornado on Roserade as new additions to the level up learnset or in general. It's also safe to assume modern/Gen 8 movesets + snapped moves are being used as basis for mons that it applies to since the Cyrus trailer showed Meteor Mash Lucario which was a USUM egg move and Gen 8 levelup move.

That is kind of what disappoints me. I don't think we'll ever get a full Pokedex within Gen 8. It would've been nice if a Home & Sword/Shield update was released alongside the remakes, and then another Home & Sword/Shield update during the release of Legends to add in the last few missing ones.
My very personal guess (so take it with a grain of salt) is that the last couple "VGC seasons" for gen 8 will be aimed at featuring entire pokedex.
This is just a personal guess based on the fact it's a good way to get people to buy the missing games (or purchase home/bank sub to move their gen 7 stuff over), with no actual basis, though.
The fact you can just learn it through the move reminder now is a big boon (unless they change it lol).
I honestly wish they pick up some consistency for the relearner... gen 7 had it able to relearn any move, even ones not yet learned, gen 8 moved move relearner to free and available right away, but removed the option to learn higher level moves (in an attempt to balance it, too bad they forgot stone evos kekw)

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I know flint only having 2 fire types is a meme but I feel like it makes his fight harder than usual, since surf spam isn't as effective (rip for da steelix tho). Honestly if this game was pulling from platinum i would have wanted his og dp fight.

Volkner is miserable tho LOL
Surf spam isn’t all that effective anyways given the fact that his lead Houndoom has sunny day and 3/5 members of his team are packing Electric coverage, Grass coverage, or maybe BOTH, in the case of his Magmortar. You needed something like Garchomp clicking Earthquake 5 times to really call flint easy. Pokemon like Gliscor are naturally slower and most players don’t vicariously speed invest so that they don’t get trashed by Sun Boosted Flare Blitzes, along wirh the fact that your water starter is likely fully evolved and rocking a not-so-cool at the moment fire neutrality. And given the fact that Flint would likely have sun up...

Surf spam isn’t all that effective anyways given the fact that his lead Houndoom has sunny day and 3/5 members of his team are packing Electric coverage, Grass coverage, or maybe BOTH, in the case of his Magmortar. You needed something like Garchomp clicking Earthquake 5 times to really call flint easy. Pokemon like Gliscor are naturally slower and most players don’t vicariously speed invest so that they don’t get trashed by Sun Boosted Flare Blitzes, along wirh the fact that your water starter is likely fully evolved and rocking a not-so-cool at the moment fire neutrality. And given the fact that Flint would likely have sun up...
Surf(or in this case Waterfall) spam is perfectly valid if the user is Floatzel. It outspeeds all of Flint's Pokemon, and the only one with Flame Body is Magmortar, which he usually saves for last.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Yo I got a question.
Do you think they will do anything to reference the surf glitch, where you could get 'backstage', go to Newmoon island and catch Deoxys and Shaymin?
If any game was going to do this it should have been FRLG or even LGPE with the Mew/Missingno glitches. Those glitches were far more iconic and they didn't reference them at all, so I'd say it's a certainty these won't.

If any game was going to do this it should have been FRLG or even LGPE with the Mew/Missingno glitches. Those glitches were far more iconic and they didn't reference them at all, so I'd say it's a certainty these won't.
MissingNO. was a lot harder to encounter in the Japanese versions of Gen I, so it is almost completely unknown to the Japanese fanbase, and likely Game Freak themselves since they are a Japanese company and had no direct hand in the localization of the Gen I Pokemon games, which was less of a localization and more of a romhack to turn the Japanese Blue(Which had enhanced graphics and less glitches compared to Red and Green)into the Japanese Red and Green(with the latter renamed Blue), which ended up creating a whole host of new bugs and glitches that never existed in Japan.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
MissingNO. was a lot harder to encounter in the Japanese versions of Gen I, so it is almost completely unknown to the Japanese fanbase, and likely Game Freak themselves since they are a Japanese company and had no direct hand in the localization of the Gen I Pokemon games, which was less of a localization and more of a romhack to turn the Japanese Blue(Which had enhanced graphics and less glitches compared to Red and Green)into the Japanese Red and Green(with the latter renamed Blue), which ended up creating a whole host of new bugs and glitches that never existed in Japan.
Fair enough. I wasn't actually saying that any game should start referencing glitches, by the by. Just that Missingno is by far the most well-known glitch (even without the Japanese audience) and the Mew glitch has been an urban legend pretty much all my life. Compared to those, the Surf glitch is extremely obscure to most people.

Movepools for existing mons are definitely being updated with Leafage and Growth seen on Turtwig, Water Gun on Piplup, Power-Up Punch on Chimchar, and Leaf Tornado on Roserade as new additions to the level up learnset or in general. It's also safe to assume modern/Gen 8 movesets + snapped moves are being used as basis for mons that it applies to since the Cyrus trailer showed Meteor Mash Lucario which was a USUM egg move and Gen 8 levelup move.
Very interesting! Suppose I'll mainly be playing for the story then.

So what are the chances of evolutions like Sylveon (evolution of gen 1 but introduced post gen 4)? Or Alola regional variants? The different move sets make it seem like this will be its own thing. Considering the move changes, I'm not seeing post gen 4 Pokes being present. I can't see them doing all Pokemon while Sword and Shield doesn't get them all. Seems like they're going almost exactly for the original experience, which is probably why the graphic design looks more classical. With some updates move sets, I assume to make the battles more interesting due to a relative lack of Pokemon.

So what are the chances of evolutions like Sylveon (evolution of gen 1 but introduced post gen 4)? Or Alola regional variants? The different move sets make it seem like this will be its own thing. Considering the move changes, I'm not seeing post gen 4 Pokes being present. I can't see them doing all Pokemon while Sword and Shield doesn't get them all. Seems like they're going almost exactly for the original experience, which is probably why the graphic design looks more classical. With some updates move sets, I assume to make the battles more interesting due to a relative lack of Pokemon.
Seeing as Let's Go had every single Gen I move still coded in the game(and any that weren't TMs or already part of a Kanto Pokemon's level-up move pool was handed out to at least one line, like Farfetch'd learning Cut and Machop learning Strength via level-up) with some latter gen moves to enhance movepools, I imagine the same will happen with BDSP where all Gen I-IV moves are present(And making sure each move can be learned by at least one Pokemon coded into the game) with some Gen V-VIII moves being added to make movepools better.

FRLG had a lava cookie where you were supposed to get a mew, but I see your point.
I still stand that it should've been a Ragecandybar.

So what are the chances of evolutions like Sylveon (evolution of gen 1 but introduced post gen 4)? Or Alola regional variants?
Alola mons and the old versions of new regional forms are in-game trades ever since their introduction.

Cross-gen evos have been a thing in all games after their introductions outside of FRLG, which required the Nat. Dex and was dumb as a sack of rocks. LGPE iirc did something similarly stupid, but... Well, it was LGPE. That game is weird.

Wait, I just remembered something, Shards are still in the underground, I've seen a green one in one of the trailers.

Sure, they could still be tied to the Hail TM like in OG DP, (You needed TEN green shards for it.) but I wonder if that's how we're getting tutors in BDSP...

There's also the IoA moves, I don't think they're outright cutting those.

Compatibility might be hella messy. Legends is confirmed to have Home support, right? So you gotta be able to send these mons somewhere, right?

I still stand that it should've been a Ragecandybar.

Alola mons and the old versions of new regional forms are in-game trades ever since their introduction.

Cross-gen evos have been a thing in all games after their introductions outside of FRLG, which required the Nat. Dex and was dumb as a sack of rocks. LGPE iirc did something similarly stupid, but... Well, it was LGPE. That game is weird.

Wait, I just remembered something, Shards are still in the underground, I've seen a green one in one of the trailers.

Sure, they could still be tied to the Hail TM like in OG DP, (You needed TEN green shards for it.) but I wonder if that's how we're getting tutors in BDSP...

There's also the IoA moves, I don't think they're outright cutting those.

Compatibility might be hella messy. Legends is confirmed to have Home support, right? So you gotta be able to send these mons somewhere, right?
LGPE had Alola forms, but not things like Sylveon. I suppose they might go that way. Gen 1-4 with variant? In. Evolution that arrived post Gen 4? Not in. My assumption anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)