Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

LGPE had Alola forms, but not things like Sylveon. I suppose they might go that way. Gen 1-4 with variant? In. Evolution that arrived post Gen 4? Not in. My assumption anyways.
This is closer to ORAS.

Unfortunately, I also mean it in the "It pissed off the region fans" way too.

I don't see them not making it. Post-Game will be what makes or break the game for me.

Well, that and PkNX getting an update. Gotta remake the remake. :facepalm:

It's probably worth pointing out at this juncture that both ORAS & Let's Go, regardless of any other changes that were added to the games, tweaked trainer rosters and wild encounter tables. ORAS didn't do it in the way a lot of people wanted but it did do it; various routes had their levels tweaked, encounter rates changed, megas were added to key battles, various random trainers had their teams tweaked (and i'm ignoring the events post-climax for that statement!) in some fashion, they made certain triathletes version exclusive (for some reason??), etc.

BDSP is, like, really dedicated to Diamond & Pearl in this regard, far more than any remake before it. I do not think we have seen a single instance of a wild Pokemon (that isn't in the underground) or Trainer encounter that wasn't present in DP down to the level. We obviously won't have encounter rates until the games in our hands, but it really wouldn't surprise me if those were unchanged to.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Garchomp gets 2HKO by random shit like stab EQ and stab Surf ingame. It also cant do anything to Torterra but Outrage/Fire Fang (dont even remember if it had firefang) and gets stalled by leech seed, also ice shard does a fuck ton of damage

0 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 192-228 (53.7 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

that is coming from a weavile with 0 evs on atk, neutral atk nature and also 0 ivs con Atk, the worse weavile you can get, against a 31 def 31 hp ivs chomp. Basically, anything you can think of + ice shard rekts garchomp.
You make it sound like Garchomp isn't going to attack at all. Yes, eq and surf two shots it but Garchomp is faster than both Empoleon and Torterra and can two shot them as well. The only saving grace is that dragon rush has garbage accuracy so Torterra has some leeway

Yes, ice shard does a fuck ton of damage but do you really think Weavile will survive Garchomp's attacks especially if it doesn't have perfect ivs in defense?

Not only that, say you sacrifice your starter to put Garchomp into ice shard range. Now what? Weavile isn't gonna do too much to Cynthia's team especially Milotic and Lucario. It's why I'm not a huge fan of Weavile in playthrus. It just doesn't contribute too much to be worth it, at least if the move tutors aren't in the game

I know this is a really unpopular opinion but I honestly would prefer if the DP remakes goes only as far as the 493 Pokemon. (maybe add some of the evolutions like the PMD remake) The only theoretical benefit that a dex cut had back in SwSh had was that cutting out Pokemon, despite being clearly ready to be put into the game, allowed the developers to actually factor in things like power creep and make the generation actually fathomable. Unfortunately, Pokemon did an absolute terrible job with that and Generation 8 at its core feels more ridiculous and the fact that there is a 20 minute timer makes the game downright unplayable on console.

Having the power level toned down to DPP OU but with slight buffs and nerfs guarantees that the game will be enjoyable in-game and online. On top of it, I would prefer if the DP games were only compatible with themselves as it means that this game doesn't have to try and one up SwSh, a game that feels incredibly absurd at this point. The game overall becomes much more enjoyable at a casual level and it lets you actually play gen 4 with touch ups as opposed to gen 8 with every Pokemon being underpowered.

Last edited:
allowed the developers to actually factor in things like power creep and make the generation actually fathomable.
And then they added the likes of Landorus and Toxapex back. This whole idea got nuked pretty quick.

Having the power level toned down to DPP OU but with slight buffs and nerfs guarantees that the game will be enjoyable in-game and online.
Just a reminder, the main online game will still be SwSh for the likes of VGC and Ranked with Ranked outright stated to not be in BDSP.

Shame, DPP OU was a lot of fun, despite the stupid rocks.

You make it sound like Garchomp isn't going to attack at all. Yes, eq and surf two shots it but Garchomp is faster than both Empoleon and Torterra and can two shot them as well. The only saving grace is that dragon rush has garbage accuracy so Torterra has some leeway

Yes, ice shard does a fuck ton of damage but do you really think Weavile will survive Garchomp's attacks especially if it doesn't have perfect ivs in defense?

Not only that, say you sacrifice your starter to put Garchomp into ice shard range. Now what? Weavile isn't gonna do too much to Cynthia's team especially Milotic and Lucario. It's why I'm not a huge fan of Weavile in playthrus. It just doesn't contribute too much to be worth it, at least if the move tutors aren't in the game
Now what what?

You talk as if Cynthia herself is a problem. Dude, 98% of the individuals who are here now stomped Cynthia when we were 14.

You play with a team. 2 or 3 hits of 2 Pokémon and Garchomo is down, end of the story. It wont steamroll your team like KarensnDoom or Iris haxorus. Also no, garchomp doensnt get the clean ko on weav unless factoring ivs too.

You can literally laugh at Garchomp just using torterra 5 turns with 2 hyper potions. Like idk, maybe we are coming from different worlds. Do you want me to record the first battle agaisnt Cynthia when the remakes come out to show you how effortesly and freestyle can i destroy Garchomp with 990 different combinations that id play on the go and with a team i dont even know what will be?

I mean the meme is funny until you reach a certain point. Then you remember that back in the 2007s every kid had Pokémon diamond or pearl and everyone was the Pokémon champion. Like what is this, an alternate universe where DP was Abu Simbel Profanation?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Now what what?

You talk as if Cynthia herself is a problem. Dude, 98% of the individuals who are here now stomped Cynthia when we were 14.

You play with a team. 2 or 3 hits of 2 Pokémon and Garchomo is down, end of the story. It wont steamroll your team like KarensnDoom or Iris haxorus. Also no, garchomp doensnt get the clean ko on weav unless factoring ivs too.

You can literally laugh at Garchomp just using torterra 5 turns with 2 hyper potions. Like idk, maybe we are coming from different worlds. Do you want me to record the first battle agaisnt Cynthia when the remakes come out to show you how effortesly and freestyle can i destroy Garchomp with 990 different combinations that id play on the go and with a team i dont even know what will be?

I mean the meme is funny until you reach a certain point. Then you remember that back in the 2007s every kid had Pokémon diamond or pearl and everyone was the Pokémon champion. Like what is this, an alternate universe where DP was Abu Simbel Profanation?
Well duh, of course you're gonna stomp Cynthia if you play the remakes. Everyone here already knows who she is and how to beat her. In case you misread, all I said was that Weavile doesn't contribute too much and that the starters don't really have the best matchup against one pokemon which is why I said 'now what'. Against the rest of her team, the starters have a pretty fair matchup while Weavile doesn't. I never said anything that she would be a problem

Also, yes Garchomp can one shot Weavile regardless of ivs. DP Garchomp has brick break on its moveset which is a clean kill even if Garchomp has 0 ivs with -def nature so if the remakes use the dp moveset instead of pt, then Weavile won't win in a fair fight

And you're saying you spam hyper potions which is just being cheesy and I didn't count those when I made that post. Those are options in the game but to make this game slightly harder, I don't use potions during battle, only after. Cynthia can spam her full restores as much as she wants but I don't stoop that low just to win because that takes the fun out of the battle

And you're saying you spam hyper potions which is just being cheesy and I didn't count those when I made that post. Those are options in the game but to make this game slightly harder, I don't use potions during battle, only after. Cynthia can spam her full restores as much as she wants but I don't stoop that low just to win because that takes the fun out of the battle
Out of curiosity, which part of actually using game mechanics is cheesy?
You're telling me you didn't spam potions / revives when playing a pokemon game the first time? ...

Sure if you're playing a self imposed challenge go ahead, but in any Pokemon game there's nothing preventing you from just... healing up with items at any point, thus any enemy pokemon that doesn't have a clean 1hko on your entire team is pretty much usable as "revive fodder" or "heal fodder".

Quite sure something all of us have done at some point before becoming obsessed with trying to make a kid's game hard for no reason other than personal challenge.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Out of curiosity, which part of actually using game mechanics is cheesy?
You're telling me you didn't spam potions / revives when playing a pokemon game the first time? ...

Sure if you're playing a self imposed challenge go ahead, but in any Pokemon game there's nothing preventing you from just... healing up with items at any point, thus any enemy pokemon that doesn't have a clean 1hko on your entire team is pretty much usable as "revive fodder" or "heal fodder".

Quite sure something all of us have done at some point before becoming obsessed with trying to make a kid's game hard for no reason other than personal challenge.
Nope. I always found potions pointless. Yes, I can heal my pokemon but at the same time, the ai is just gonna attack again and undo all that healing so I never bothered and when I first played pokemon, I didn't know revives existed. It wasn't until I played pt a couple months later that I finally decided to take a look at what else was in a pokemon game. The only time I ever used potions was after a battle

What I find cheesy are switch mode and the in game items. It just makes the game easy

Well duh, of course you're gonna stomp Cynthia if you play the remakes. Everyone here already knows who she is and how to beat her. In case you misread, all I said was that Weavile doesn't contribute too much and that the starters don't really have the best matchup against one pokemon which is why I said 'now what'. Against the rest of her team, the starters have a pretty fair matchup while Weavile doesn't. I never said anything that she would be a problem

Also, yes Garchomp can one shot Weavile regardless of ivs. DP Garchomp has brick break on its moveset which is a clean kill even if Garchomp has 0 ivs with -def nature so if the remakes use the dp moveset instead of pt, then Weavile won't win in a fair fight

Go back a few message and read one in which i addressed this topic fully.

I dont really care about your subjective oppinion of being cheese is. Imagine if the games are easy af, that the very concept of using basic healing items is considered detrimental to the core difficulty. Imagine an arcade so, so easy, or to put the example upon some comtemporanies, a dark souls so easy, that the very action of using an estus, which is a basic healing item integrated on the mechanics of the game, is considered detrimental to the impact of the difficulty.

Im always talking about general playthroughs, and in general playthroughs theres no such thing as set mode or non-healing items. If you really want that, do a hardlocke in kaizo emerald or nuzlocke revengeance platinum (which i did recently), but dont use the non-healing thing as a standard to determine a Pokémon difficulty, because if thats the case, I'll start to use arbitrary rules like playing with the controller upside down, blindfolded or non getting hit in every game as a standard.

Cynthia is a capable trainer. Thats all. You can oc lose to her, but she is not a point that will redefine your essence as a player and make you question your decissions in life or learn everything theres to be learnt about Pokémon before facing her. And in a normal playthrough, one where a kid ends up with 2-3 Pokémon strong enough to rekt the entire Pokémon League with little support of Revives and Hyper Potion, theres nothing to her. Now, if you play with permadeath, non healing items, set mode, level cap, only moves below 30 BP, only NFE mons, no held items, no joycons on the Switch, no backlighting on the console, outside while raining, chased by a lion, while running a marathon, then yea, the experience may differ.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Guys what did I say like one page ago.

Chill out.

Absolutely pointless talking about strats to deal with Garchomp in this thread. We haven't even got the games in our hands. Knock it off. There have already been significant changes in regards to XP etc so the game will 100% play differently.

At this rate we will lock the thread and you'll have to sit on your hands till launch. Please keep to established released adverts/information etc for discussion.

I’m thinking/hoping that and Gen 5+ Pokémon still missing will be post-game, probably either in the Battle Zone or the Grand Underground underneath.
Hmmm ! It the first gen and 4th gen for the transfert only, because i wachted in differents website and it's confirmed. Sorry for undespair... :(

There is a Polish version of the Italian commercial that differs in that it keeps a bunch of the original sound effects like walking through grass and snow, and also Fire Spin hitting Snover has much faster HP drain than the Italian video, so I'm more confident HP speed will be its own option or tied to text speed as brought up before.

Also now that we can see the full damage on this Snover, just for fun I'm guessing this default Chimchar is probably like level 50.
Lvl 50 0 SpA Chimchar Fire Spin vs. Lvl 38 0 HP / 0 SpD Snover: 100-124 (95.2 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
I will never understand why they're so adverse to showing off the fully evolved forms of starters in these trailers

I mean it makes sense for Legends, cause there's a small chance of new forms for the starters there, but there's essentially nothing new relating to the Sinnoh starters. Why not show them off?

I will never understand why they're so adverse to showing off the fully evolved forms of starters in these trailers

I mean it makes sense for Legends, cause there's a small chance of new forms for the starters there, but there's essentially nothing new relating to the Sinnoh starters. Why not show them off?
I think there's a chance of their being shown in a final trailer showing the E4 or postgame content, since the middle stages were all shown in the recent one against the admins, though time will tell if it happens or drops before we start getting leaks as copies arrive in stores. As for the commercials I guess they just want to play it safe and stick to what's being advertised consistently, though they do show a bunch of other mons in these too.

Pretty simple: they don't want to spoil it for people who don't know yet, especially the kids which will have this as their first pokemon game

how effective this is when even just googling turtwig will show you torterra is debatable, but after gen 7, they seem to be playing the last evos of starters as a surprise to people, even in remakes.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
There is a Polish version of the Italian commercial that differs in that it keeps a bunch of the original sound effects like walking through grass and snow, and also Fire Spin hitting Snover has much faster HP drain than the Italian video, so I'm more confident HP speed will be its own option or tied to text speed as brought up before.
Commercials showing inconsistent stuff was weird but understandable before, but it's baffling when the HP drain is being shown at a different rate when there's just over 2 Weeks left until the games come out... Too bad they were consistent with the Ice Gym's Snover though, not that I expected it to be different. :( *sighs and beats Volkner's and Flint's dead horses yet again*

It would actually be hilarious if they did in fact have an HP speed option and one of the choices was "retro speed" that made it as slow as DPPt for the meme
It should be the way gen 4's meters actually are and decrease by one point per frame while capping the game at 30 FPS for maximum faithfulness.
This would make getting Brilliant Diamond just to use a Blissey kind of tempting... I'm not sure what that says about me. I want to say it makes me a bad person, but I don't have any friends to make suffer... :/

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In game related discussion, does anybody here try to have their starter be the Pokemon that faces the Champions ace?

I didn't do it in Pokemon Shield because I was bad and dumb and Cinderace kept dying to anything Leon's Charizard did, so I gave him a panic attack with Eternatus.
Sometimes. Like I know I at least defeated Blue & Hau with my Starter. I also defeated Leon with my Starter which was also a Cinderace, I just kept kicking Pyro Balls into its face until it fainted if I recall correctly.

Wish we could go back to HGSS berry farm, but the classic RSE/DPP system is still much better than SWSH rng trees.
Honestly I'm okay with the XY style of just having one farm/greenhouse you can plant a bunch of Berries on. No running around the region remembering where they are so you can water them & which is what Berry, they're all in one spot making watering them easier and can plan out which ones you want to grow a lot of more easily.

Idk, I like that Flint's team is "heat / hot" themed instead of just being Fire. Means I might actually have to switch Pokémon instead of bulldozing his entire party with Surf like I would Blaine. Also Lopunny being "hot" is hilarious and I can't imagine that not being an intentional choice.
If I had to guess a reason for the non-Fire-types they picked:

Steelix: Says to have formed under intense HEAT and pressure.
Drifblim: Is based on a HOT air balloon.
Lopunny: Lopunny's fur is said to provide excellent WARMTH.

Though, oddly, while his Rapidash and Infernape has Water & Rock counters, his other Pokemon don't. Infact they don't really provide much coverage at all outside of their STAB. If they didn't want to give it Thunder Punch since it already had Fire Punch, they could have taught Lopunny Thunderbolt or Grass Knot as a surprise; maybe Drain Punch or Rock Smash. Steelix could have also been given Thunder Fang and Earthquake. Finally Drifblim learned Thunderbolt, maybe throw on a Psychic for good measure.

I'm sure there's a fan game or mod or whatever out there that has a champion like this. Maybe they even use a >600 Legendary as their ace
Not a Champion but certainly a final boss.

it's a (moderately) safe assumption to think that SwSh will eventually get compatibility for gen 4 pokemon when Home compatibility launches
Hm, I wouldn't be too sure on that. If there's going to be no direct trading or no official competitions using BDSP then GF have no reason to add the missing BDSP Pokemon to SwSh. Like, I doubt we'll have the new Legends: Arceus added to SwSh. After Legends: Arcues (heck, probably even when now developing it) there eyes are focused on setting up to do Gen 9.

Also Volkner's team is more egregious to me than Flint's. Ambipom and Octillery... What am I missing?
If I had to guess:

Octillery: Based on a cannon. Like with the previous two Electric-type Gym Leaders, for some reason GF kept having them dressed in military clothes. Also could do with Volkner's interest in engineering. It also has the Ability Sniper.
Ambipom: This is a hard one. Maybe going back to the engineering hobby Ambipom helps him out with construction having not only a normal pair of hands but also a pair of hand tails? It also has the Ability Technician.

Garchomp gets 2HKO by random shit like stab EQ and stab Surf ingame. It also cant do anything to Torterra but Outrage/Fire Fang (dont even remember if it had firefang) and gets stalled by leech seed, also ice shard does a fuck ton of damage
I defeated Cynthia's Garchomp via Ice Beam Manaphy, so that's an option too.

I call dibs on Shell Smash Torterra. Set up on Cynthia's Spiritomb and watch out.
Spiritomb used Double Team. Can't OHKO if you can't hit it.

So what are the chances of evolutions like Sylveon (evolution of gen 1 but introduced post gen 4)? Or Alola regional variants? The different move sets make it seem like this will be its own thing. Considering the move changes, I'm not seeing post gen 4 Pokes being present. I can't see them doing all Pokemon while Sword and Shield doesn't get them all. Seems like they're going almost exactly for the original experience, which is probably why the graphic design looks more classical. With some updates move sets, I assume to make the battles more interesting due to a relative lack of Pokemon.
I know you're excited, but here's the problem: unless they specifically state it, the answer is we don't know. These games are an enigma at the moment. They are 99% 1:1 remakes... but they also have some new stuff thrown in here and there. However the new stuff don't really seem to effect anything concerning the story and the one which affects main game the most is just providing a wider range of Pokemon, all of whom are from Gen I through IV.

So unless they make an announcement which is doubtful at this point, you're just going to have to wait until the games come out.

Same reason they just don't say Cynthia is the Champion or why they are only showing two Gym Leaders at a time instead of all of them in one video. They're treating this like they treated previous core game titles, I guess following the idea that this would be a batch of players first time playing Gen IV (completely ignoring all the other instances these trainers appeared such as in B2W2 and Masters)?

Kinda? For remakes they showed off the hoenn starters final evo, and they also did it with gen 7. It used to be tradition, they tried something new in the marketing of oras and sumo and seen to have gone back to the traditions
It's easy to fall back to tradition when you got nothing new to show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)