Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

That's an interesting thought BUUUUT I feel the amount of differences between the game to have such a harsh difference would be too big. Unless it's a very small time difference (in which case why even bother?) the areas and people would need to be completely different.
TO be more clear Im not saying we'll LITERALLY be in the past/future of each other, just that maybe in Scarlet the region has a heavier focus on its past, and is named as such, and is presented as a region that celebrates and embraces its past culture. While in Violet it has a focus on the future, taking the region and bringing it forward. Something like that.
And probably have a recurring theme in both that you can't just ignore the past or the future

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
BTW, this is the Venonat line’s first regional Dex since GSC.
It also bears mentioning that the Venonat family is one of relatively few evolutionary families to have remained "untouched" since Gen I - that is, it hasn't gained any evolutions, regional forms, or exclusive temporary power-ups (Mega Evolution, Gigantamax, or for that matter Z-moves). Assuming that these things will mostly revolve around Gen I 'mons in Gen IX as well, and that the general rule of "no do-overs" still holds (Meowth/Slowbro notwithstanding), the Venonat family is definitely a candidate for such shenanigans.

With the past/future motif I wonder if the reason they haven't revealed the name is because the region's name is different in each version to represent the past/future. Kind of like Hisui/Sinnoh but on a smaller scale. Could see Opelucid-style retheming of certain areas and stuff if they really want to go in with the theme.

E: TO be more clear Im not saying we'll LITERALLY be in the past/future of each other, just that maybe in Scarlet the region has a heavier focus on its past, and is named as such, and is presented as a region that celebrates and embraces its past culture. While in Violet it has a focus on moving to the future, taking the region and bringing it forward. Something like that.
This is a neat idea, I must say, but it would be impractical in so many ways. The naming of regional forms, for instance. Or marketing of the generation later down the line (as this is mostly related to the Pokémon's region of origin).

Then again, "later down the line" has never been a big concern of Game Freak, so why begin now ...

Last edited:
Theory: There is no evil gang. The game is about generation conflict with past/future theme. One game you play the past team and argue against the future, and the other is the contrary.
A theory I can see happening but also doubt would.

I can see it happening because in both gen 7 and 8, the "evil gang" was basically comic relief that ended up having nothing to do with the actual "bad guy" of the game.

However at same time... it's one of these things that have always been in games and I don't expect to be going. Sure they've been doing experiments and changing things around, but I don't think we're not getting an evil gang.

Unless they just ran out of names and couldn't actually think a new Team :psysly:

It also bears mentioning that the Venonat family is one of relatively few evolutionary families to have remained "untouched" since Gen I - that is, it hasn't gained any evolutions, regional forms, or exclusive temporary power-ups (Mega Evolution, Gigantamax, or for that matter Z-moves). Assuming that these things will mostly revolve around Gen I 'mons in Gen IX as well, the Venonat family is definitely a candidate for such shenanigans.
I cant wait for xxxxian Venomoth to be a fire/bug type with massive special attack and quiver danc--- what you mean that already exists?

It also bears mentioning that the Venonat family is one of relatively few evolutionary families to have remained "untouched" since Gen I - that is, it hasn't gained any evolutions, regional forms, or exclusive temporary power-ups (Mega Evolution, Gigantamax, or for that matter Z-moves). Assuming that these things will mostly revolve around Gen I 'mons in Gen IX as well, the Venonat family is definitely a candidate for such shenanigans.

This is a neat idea, I must say, but it would be impractical in so many ways. The naming of regional forms, for instance. Or marketing of the generation later down the line (as this is mostly related to the Pokémon's region of origin).

Then again, "later down the line" has never been a big concern of Game Freak, so why begin now ...
Option 1: Literally labeled "Pastia/Futuria" Form and "Pastia/Futuria" as the region.
Option 2: There is another, shared name of the region (PRESENTIA) and they go by that
Option 3: There are "Pastia" forms and "Futuria" forms and Pokemon home decides to have 3 entire sections dedicated to it.

-Draconic Legendaries
-Unova Pokemon making a sizable chunk of Galarian/Hisuian forms
-Swords of Justice and the Forces of Nature showing up in-region in Gen 8.
-Version differences highlighted by past and future.
-Gen 4 wrapping up its remakes.
-James Turner being trusted with more decisions in SwSh.

I'm hoping that they use the past vs future theme to have a good story that it creates a fun civil war between fans. Black and White also had conflicting themes with truth vs ideals, but since their games are just copy/pastes of each other, it was not even explored. S&V has potential for a good story line since The Pokémon Company is putting more focus on making both games feel distinct. However, knowing their recent story-telling issues I shouldn't expect too much.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

"The oil that comes out of its head has a very strong bitter taste, and it is not suitable for consumption."

Those sick bastards at Game Freak denying the people of their created world the delicious joy of olive oil.
Tbf that's pretty apt for me personally as I go through waves of "I love olives, I could eat a gajillion of them" to "omg olives are disgusting".

Smoliv reminds me a lot of a certain Digimon and I strongly dislike the name but Normal/Grass is a fun and unusual typing so I'm intrigued!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)