Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

So it's character trait pretty much just comes down to: thick fur which store electricity. Yet despite that it doesn't get Thick Fur, instead it gets Natural Cure? How odd
Do you mean Fur Coat? Just because a Pokemon's fur is thick doesn't necessarily mean it has the specific defensive properties associated with Fur Coat. In general I think we really need to get past the idea that a Pokemon not having the most immediately obvious typing/moves/abilities/stats counts as some kind of failure or oversight.

• Finally bottom right looks like... like... a very curly shoe... looks it's late and I'm tired. It honestly just looks like a fancy letter to me.
That symbol actually reminds me of the astrological signs for Jupiter and Saturn. IDK how that’ll play into anything but I suppose we’re gonna find out.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
For those interested, this is the list of evolution lines from Generation 1 without any of a new evolution or pre-evolution in a later generation, regional variant, Mega Evolution or Gigantamax (Mew is also excluded as it got a signature Z-crystal):

- Fearow
- Arbok
- Nidoqueen/Nidoking
- Parasect
- Venomoth
- Golduck
- Primeape
- Victreebel
- Tentacruel
- Dewgong
- Cloyster
- Hypno
- Starmie
- Tauros
- Omastar
- Kabutops
- Dragonite

Therefore if subsequent trailers reveal a lot of these Pokemon coming in, it's likely that the same formula of 'Focus on Gen 1 and new Pokemon to get the new gimmick, don't usually do it to ones that got one before' is being used. I'm quite surprised Dragonite has still not had any of the new gimmicks yet...

For those interested, this is the list of evolution lines from Generation 1 without any of a new evolution or pre-evolution in a later generation, regional variant, Mega Evolution or Gigantamax (Mew is also excluded as it got a signature Z-crystal):

- Fearow
- Arbok
- Nidoqueen/Nidoking
- Parasect
- Venomoth
- Golduck
- Primeape
- Victreebel
- Tentacruel
- Dewgong
- Cloyster
- Hypno
- Starmie
- Tauros
- Omastar
- Kabutops
- Dragonite

Therefore if subsequent trailers reveal a lot of these Pokemon coming in, it's likely that the same formula of 'Focus on Gen 1 and new Pokemon to get the new gimmick, don't usually do it to ones that got one before' is being used. I'm quite surprised Dragonite has still not had any of the new gimmicks yet...
For Tauros, it's this gen or never lol

Also my boi Parasect deserves it.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I am also very curious about how they will tackle the Past vs Future storyline. Gen 7 had Innovation vs Tradition as a big part of its plot, being the main driving conflict between Kukui's and Guzma's mindsets (And is also somewhat reflected in that game lacking Gyms and introducing Regional Variants).

So I wonder how that'll come into play here - We obviously already have the two characters whose temes would probably center around this, but I think its interesting to ponder on what game design choices would come from this theme in more ways than just aesthetics

I've noticed that they turned away from legendaries being Literal Gods since Gen 7. Solgaleo and Lunala turn out to have nothing to do with the sun and moon besides their aesthetics, while Zacian and Zamazenta are basically King Arthur. The Tapus are explicitly called deities, but they're more like local guardians than all-powerful.
Since Gen 5, really. Or better yet, Gen 4 is the odd one out in having godlike legendaries:

- Reshiram and Zekrom are simply powerful mons that came from space but don't really have any deity-like control over anything.
- Xerneas has the power of granting eternal life and Yveltal has the power of draining life force, but neither of them have absolute control over life and death (A common misconception for this duo actually)
- Solgaleo and Lunala don't have any godlike powers either as you noted, they're moreso related to the Sun and the Moon by association (Solgaleo being dubbed "The Beast That Devours The Sun" and Lunala being dubbed "The Beast That Calls The Moon". You could only really make a case for The Blinding One's original form being a God
- Zacian and Zama are some dogs with weapons but nothing really too crazy about them

Even if we take Gen 2 and Gen 3, nothing really compares to Palkia and Dialga, where lore-wise they are absolutely necessary for space and time to flow/time flowing depends on Dialga's heart beating and space flowing depends on Palkia breathing

All this to say - I think it's very likely that Koraidon and Miraidon will also fall under the category of "Strong mon, probably deified by some culture, but not a God"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The future of third versions is unclear, but third legendaries have been going strong since Hoenn. Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde, Necrozma, Eternatus...

It is not at all bold to assume there will be an as-yet unrevealed legendary with some connection to Koraidon and Miraidon that is important to the lore and maybe plot.
True, though I'll also point out that those last 2, Necrozma & Eternatus, sort of broke the mold of a traditional "third member" to the Mascot Legendaries (and in a small way, so did Zygarde and even Kyurem), to a point they're considered by most to be their own Legendaries tangentially connected to the Mascot Legendaries.

Now they could obviously decide to make the "third member" just like the initial two, a draconic motorbike which represents a period of time (present, alternate timelines, no time), but on terms of that theme I think Koraidon and Miraidon got it covered. Infact I'll be more willing to bet it has more to do with all the crystal stuff we've been seeing (thus likely a connection to the super gimmick of this gen, just like how Necrozma and Eternatus was connected to Z-Moves and Dynamax, respectively).

everyone talkin about if spirigatito will be on fours, or on two legs, but real question is if fuecoco will be on fours or on two legs
I don't know, with how big and round it is (and it being based on the croc), I'd be more willing to guess as it evolves it'll get more obese until its final evo has it lying on its big belly with its little arms and legs lying limply by its side:

(You may not think it but this is what a peak body molded by million of years of evolution looks like)

Can't be putting the idea in kids' heads that your teacher might be evil.

"That's right kids, you can always trust us teachers; now don't go running in the hall, don't stay up late, and especially don't go checking my offices for any secret entrances to a hidden lab. Because obviously you won't find any. So don't do it! Good. I am such an evil genius..."

I am more on the line of thinking it's just going to be something akin to what they did with the version-specific gyms in SwSh: the other professor will still be there but will have a supporting or minor role in the plot instead.
Not that good of an example, I don't recall SwSh ever mentioning the Minor League or showing any until the DLC brought in a representation from the Poison and Psychic Gym, once again version exclusive. If you're playing Sword than Allister, Melony, and Avery might not as well exist, and same with Shield players for Bea, Gordie, and Klara. It's one aspect of SwSh really dropped the ball.

I think a better example would be the Ultra Recon Squad. All four did appear in each game, just you have two running around in Alola while the other two stayed behind to watch over Ultra Megalopolis.\

Do you mean Fur Coat? Just because a Pokemon's fur is thick doesn't necessarily mean it has the specific defensive properties associated with Fur Coat. In general I think we really need to get past the idea that a Pokemon not having the most immediately obvious typing/moves/abilities/stats counts as some kind of failure or oversight.
Fix'd.

Did I say it was a failure for not having Fur Coat? Also I don't think it's unreasonable, like what special trait does a Pokemon need to have Fur Coat in addition to having thick fur? It's not mentioned Furfrou or Alolan Persian had any special fur, they're just very furry. Because the idea of Fur Coat is just that the Pokemon has thick fur which theoretically would absorbs kinetic energy, that's it. What furry Pokemon gets Fur Coat isn't based on any design philosophy but rather on the whims of GF for the vision of that Pokemon.

Maybe you're thinking of Fluffy that requires some additional trait? Because of Fluffy adding a Fire weakness, the Pokemon that gets Fluffy needs something special about their fluffiness that'll make them defensive but also flammable. Stufful family is because their biology is similar to that of a stuffed animal toy and Wooloo family is because their wool is very durable.

Meanwhile, Natural Cure has also been more selective usually being given to Pokemon who have healing powers or regeneration of some kind (or a nature guardian in Celebi and Phantump's family case). Though we do out outliers like the Roselia family and Swablu family, though even those I can sort of see having it. So what about Pawmi, whose thing it is just stores electricity in its (thick) fur and rubs it to release a discharge, gives it this selective Ability?

And in general no one is saying a Pokemon not having the obvious typing/moves/abilities/stats is a failing/oversight; a lot of the time we're just pointing it out as an oddity. Because it is, hence the "obvious". Now, Pokemon usually provides some explanation why this is the case or we can pick up context clues either in design, concept, or basis why it is. However, we do have things which go unexplained and, while still not a failure/oversight, I don't think its wrong to point it out and ponder on it.

That symbol actually reminds me of the astrological signs for Jupiter and Saturn. IDK how that’ll play into anything but I suppose we’re gonna find out.
You know I think that's what it reminds me of most, thank you!

Also my boi Parasect deserves it.
After all the trouble it and Paras gave me in Legends: Arceus, no it doesn't, unless its a Regional Variant where it calms the f*** down (joking aside, I think it would be neat if they had a Regional Variant Paras family where, instead of being taken over by the mushroom, they get the upperhand and learn to cultivate it, using their backs like a mobile garden).

Reshiram & Zekrom didn't come from space. The Meteor that created the giant chasm is separate from Kyurem (not even the original dragon, just straight up Kyurem), the lacunosa people just associated one with the other because of when Bad Things started happening.

Also strictly speaking if we're going to put a big thing of "these are just super strong pokemon and not literal gods" then Dialga & Palkia (& the lake spirits) don't count either. Cynthia has an entire conversation about how these two are possibly just really strong Pokemon that the ancient peoples of Sinnoh saw and deified. They are said to need the heart beating and the breath flowing to maintain time/space but are not expressly shown to needing to do so. It's just like how Xerneas & Yveltal aren't actual gods of life & death, though as you'd imagine they're still basically reverred as such because of their powers.

Arceus is probably the only god-like legendary who is expressly god-like considering the things we've seen on display from them, especially in Legends Arceus.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Meanwhile, Natural Cure has also been more selective usually being given to Pokemon who have healing powers or regeneration of some kind (or a nature guardian in Celebi and Phantump's family case). Though we do out outliers like the Roselia family and Swablu family, though even those I can sort of see having it. So what about Pawmi, whose thing it is just stores electricity in its (thick) fur and rubs it to release a discharge, gives it this selective Ability?

And in general no one is saying a Pokemon not having the obvious typing/moves/abilities/stats is a failing/oversight; a lot of the time we're just pointing it out as an oddity. Because it is, hence the "obvious". Now, Pokemon usually provides some explanation why this is the case or we can pick up context clues either in design, concept, or basis why it is. However, we do have things which go unexplained and, while still not a failure/oversight, I don't think its wrong to point it out and ponder on it.

" In addition to the electric sacs in its cheeks, Pawmi has electricity-discharging organs on its forepaws."

Pawmi has natural cure because its a walking defibrilator. I get why at a glance it would sound odd but it's not that hard to figue it out

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Reshiram & Zekrom didn't come from space. The Meteor that created the giant chasm is separate from Kyurem (not even the original dragon, just straight up Kyurem), the lacunosa people just associated one with the other because of when Bad Things started happening.
From what I recall they never really went into what the meteor was that created Giant Chasm. In my headcanon it wasn't actually a meteor, rather it was Kyurem after the Original Dragon, struggling between choosing what brother to follow, flew high up so it could split itself in two, leaving what remained of the original dragon (Kyurem, still alive though now void of energy, making it a sort of frozen zombie dragon) to crash back down onto the planet.

" In addition to the electric sacs in its cheeks, Pawmi has electricity-discharging organs on its forepaws."

Pawmi has natural cure because its a walking defibrilator. I get why at a glance it would sound odd but it's not that hard to figue it out
*Waves hand* Eh... does it use its paws as a defibrillator? I feel that's a weak argument (not to mention Natural Cure is a move that cures the user, not an ally), but it's better than nothing.

• Also should we be expecting Pokemon based on an Orange and Grapes? I mean, the schools need a mascot.
Wild mass guessing: Smoliv has a split evolution based on version.
  • So a nice shot of the "wild area" we'll call for now. The game is open world so I'm going to assume we'll be able to explore this area. There's a few notable things I already see: bottom left there looks to be remains of a building/structure, in the middle on the beach area there's a tower (possibly a lighthouse?), and in the far back is a mountain with a waterfall (which we see the Legendaries standing atop of at the end of the video).
...Wait. You're not quite right, but you're close, and that fixes something I had considered and discarded. That mountain with the split in it is what we fly through to see the legendaries. And that mountain is likely Gibraltar, at the southern tip of Spain, which is the usual location of the northern Pillar of Hercules of Greek myth. Now, I'd ignored that because the shape of the rock pillar under the Legendaries is completely different from Gibraltar, so I figured the pillar wasn't the Pillar. But if they have Gibraltar as part of the map, it would make perfect sense that you transition from there to the place where you catch the Legend(which is what we see in the trailer). And you can then use the southern Pillar as an event location for the alt version legend if needed.
Poke Gibraltar.png
Rock_of_Gibraltar_northwest.jpg
It's not a perfect shape match, but it's close enough given the fog and the limitations of the medium.

The real question is whether the game will be allowed to release in the UK if it gives Gibraltar entirely to PokeSpain.
  • Alright, not showing only the 4-player co-op but also some customization options (hey GF, can we have more skin color options that just white, tannish, and just dark enough to be considered black? Like maybe have a slider of 10 hues between white and black). Also looks like we have slight variations of the school uniform: normal shirt, shirt with suspenders, shorts, pants, and a whole batch of hats (and hair styles).
Saints Row Skin.png
That's the skin options from a game released in 2011. I realize GF has different priorities, and there are practical differences between the games and genres, but the whole "Pick from 3 preset male and 3 preset female options, you can eventually change your hair and makeup" is just sad compared to what other people in the industry have been doing for over a decade.

Attachments

That's the skin options from a game released in 2011. I realize GF has different priorities, and there are practical differences between the games and genres, but the whole "Pick from 3 preset male and 3 preset female options, you can eventually change your hair and makeup" is just sad compared to what other people in the industry have been doing for over a decade.
I don't get this hyperfixation on trainer customization a lot of people have?

All it does is cause the protagonists to be more same-y in appearance in order to be easily customizable. Like aside from the clothes Callem and Elio look damn near the same, Victor at least has a different default hair style (and color if your using the default skin tone) and while Selene has a different face shape Serena and Gloria could look exactly the same if Serena's default hairstyle was in SwSh.

Aside from Serena (because of the anime) and Gloria (because memes) none of the player characters from the past 3 generations are particularly recognizable because of the focus on customization.

All it does is cause the protagonists to be more same-y in appearance in order to be easily customizable. Like aside from the clothes Callem and Elio look damn near the same, Victor at least has a different default hairstyle (and color if your using the default skin tone) and while Selene has a different face shape Serena and Gloria could look exactly the same if Serena's default hairstyle was in SwSh.

Aside from Serena (because of the anime) and Gloria (because memes) none of the player characters from the past 3 generations are particularly recognizable because of the focus on customization.
the protags being recognizable and unique isn't something really important, is the deal. Their main appearance beyond the games is a bad manga, and some animated shorts. They get like 3 pieces of merch at most, and even then it takes years.

Plus, it's nice to be able to see yourself in a game, and the skin tones and hair options in pokemon games have been extremely lacking, especially dark skin and black hair styles. This games seems to have better hair options, but skin tones is still up for air i think

All it does is cause the protagonists to be more same-y in appearance in order to be easily customizable. Like aside from the clothes Callem and Elio look damn near the same, Victor at least has a different default hair style (and color if your using the default skin tone) and while Selene has a different face shape Serena and Gloria could look exactly the same if Serena's default hairstyle was in SwSh.

Depends on what you mean by "recognizable". Because 1, I don't necessarily agree*. 2, I don't care if the generic starter image is recognizable. I care if the character I actually play as is recognizable. And more customization options means I can get the char looking much closer to what I have in my head.

*These designs don't seem more or less complicated as time goes on IMO.
Pokemon Protags.png

Apologies for the potato quality, Bulbapedia's images are down and I had trouble finding a site with the 7 and 8 protags in the same image as 1-6.

I feel like the real comparison point to Pokemon's customization should probably be to Nintendo's other customization games since hypothetically they'd be in the same wheel house if just for skin tone: Animal Crossing & Splatoon.

Which both have about 8 skin tone options from pale white to dark black. Splatoon 3 seems to even be adding more, with a few more "pinker" whites and a few more midpoints on the darker spectrum.

I don't really care about the fashion part of this segment because that seems to just be an after thought (& lord knows the games can barely handle it with their release cycles) but it seems comparatively trivial so I dunno why they leave it like they do. I'm pretty sure across the past several generations there's characters who clearly have skin tones that you can't have so its not like its a lighting engine concern or anything.

I feel like the real comparison point to Pokemon's customization should probably be to Nintendo's other customization games since hypothetically they'd be in the same wheel house if just for skin tone: Animal Crossing & Splatoon.

Which both have about 8 skin tone options from pale white to dark black. Splatoon 3 seems to even be adding more, with a few more "pinker" whites and a few more midpoints on the darker spectrum.

I don't really care about the fashion part of this segment because that seems to just be an after thought (& lord knows the games can barely handle it with their release cycles) but it seems comparatively trivial so I dunno why they leave it like they do. I'm pretty sure across the past several generations there's characters who clearly have skin tones that you can't have so its not like its a lighting engine concern or anything.
In gen 6 and 7 (don't know about 8) the characters arms are part of the shirt model, so every shirt that doesn't cover all the way down to the wrists needed a separate either model or texture (given the weird crap GF's done internally for some things means I can't tell which) for each skin tone, same goes for every pair of pants or shorts or skirts that shows any amount of skin and some of the hairstyles and hats as well. Even if its just textures with all the different clothes in SwSh that's a lot of cartridge space wasted on something relatively minor. In Splatoon and Animal Crossing that's mostly not the case because the arms/legs are completely separate from the clothes (it's likely why the sleeves/legs are so poofy, baggy, and generally oversized).

Last edited:
I was wondering... I suposse there'll be some kind of alussion to Spain culture in different forms (be it in regional forms, like Tauros new form or Unown-Ñ, or characters/Pokémon having new forms/names/something aluding historical figures from this side of the world.

So, would we live long enough to see, finally, the regional form of Pikachu and portray of one of Spain most important and influential artists, Pablo Picasso, in the form of Pikasso?

Also strictly speaking if we're going to put a big thing of "these are just super strong pokemon and not literal gods" then Dialga & Palkia (& the lake spirits) don't count either. Cynthia has an entire conversation about how these two are possibly just really strong Pokemon that the ancient peoples of Sinnoh saw and deified. They are said to need the heart beating and the breath flowing to maintain time/space but are not expressly shown to needing to do so. It's just like how Xerneas & Yveltal aren't actual gods of life & death, though as you'd imagine they're still basically reverred as such because of their powers.

Arceus is probably the only god-like legendary who is expressly god-like considering the things we've seen on display from them, especially in Legends Arceus.
If it is worshiped it is a god. All a god is something worshiped and claimed to have supernatural powers. Like, hell, a fucking random sock could be considered a god if you get a group of people believing that it created all the earth and is all knowing even if it is just a sock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)