Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So out of nowhere this morning

I'll open this thread for the weekend for discussion of this (and if there is more news). Please so not post about possible leaks or Twitter drama here. If no more news is coming the thread will be closed Monday morning UK time.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there any more hype theme in gaming? Or the world really. If i ever end up going to the gym this has to be on the playlist.

Is there any more hype theme in gaming? Or the world really. If i ever end up going to the gym this has to be on the playlist.
Actually I kind of don't like it. Most of the pokemon main themes dont do thaaaat much for me, but this one in particular just sounds off to me. I think the sort of "marching "rhythm to it doesnt vibe with me

NealIRC

Banned deucer.
Man it sucks, the people on this forum are just like in SPP forum and Bulbagarden. (I am permanently banned from both.).

I decided to wait 3 days after this post before replying to see if anyone else would chime in. But this thread closed on the 3rd day so.

No? In gen 1 all the starters had 425 then gained their current BSTs from the Special Split.
  • Charizard's Special was 85 and became its Sp. Def.
  • Blastoise's Special was 85 and became its Sp. Atk.
  • Venusaur, meanwhile, just got its Special of 100 turned into both stats
Sigh.

Charizard = 78 + 84 + 78 + 85 (+85) + 100 = 510.
Blastoise = 79 + 83 + 100 + 85 (+85) + 78 = 510.
Venusaur = 80 + 82 + 83 + 100 (+100) + 80 = 525.

But this post is not just to the person I am replying to, but also all the people that reacted like to the post, minus the ones that also reacted like to my earlier reply.

So it looks like all the hypotheses about a trailer the second-to-last week of July fell through. I guess here are the remaining possibilities:
  • There's a trailer next week, to barely match the one-trailer-per-month 'pattern'. I recall people were speculating a trailer last week instead because this week was going to overlap with something else? (I forget what)
  • The pattern that's been around since Platinum is broken and there is no July trailer, but there's a trailer the first week of August to hype up preorders opening in Japan.
  • TPC/Nintendo make a(nother) bad business move and do not hype up preorders opening in Japan, or they consider this sheet music reveal to sufficiently count as a 'trailer'.

Man it sucks, the people on this forum are just like in SPP forum and Bulbagarden. (I am permanently banned from both.).

I decided to wait 3 days after this post before replying to see if anyone else would chime in. But this thread closed on the 3rd day so.

Sigh.

Charizard = 78 + 84 + 78 + 85 (+85) + 100 = 510.
Blastoise = 79 + 83 + 100 + 85 (+85) + 78 = 510.
Venusaur = 80 + 82 + 83 + 100 (+100) + 80 = 525.

But this post is not just to the person I am replying to, but also all the people that reacted like to the post, minus the ones that also reacted like to my earlier reply.
That's not how base stat totals work, Special isn't counted twice just because they later split into two stats.

NealIRC

Banned deucer.
That's not how base stat totals work, Special isn't counted twice just because they later split into two stats.
They're counted twice because they represent both Special Attack and Special Defense. Imo the current model we use is better.

-

I'm assuming Gen 9 will not have a lot of unique new pokemon, but I'm seeing a pattern that there will be a double-element that will be the most prolific. This pattern especially started with small gens.

For Gen6 it was Ghost/Grass, we had 2 new 2-stage of that, making it a total of 4, yet total new pokemon was 72.
For Gen7we had 2 2-stages of 1 being Water/Bug and the other Bug/Water. Also totaling 4. However, if counting fully-evolved pokemon, then there are more, as we had 2 Water/Fairy and 2 Grass/Fairy from the Tapus.
Gen8 and if we counted Galarian forms, then Psychic/Fairy was the winner.

Gen6 and Gen7's double-elemented winner were generally new type combos at the time, so. Hope Gen 9 brings in a winner for new double-elemented type combos.

So it looks like all the hypotheses about a trailer the second-to-last week of July fell through. I guess here are the remaining possibilities:
  • There's a trailer next week, to barely match the one-trailer-per-month 'pattern'. I recall people were speculating a trailer last week instead because this week was going to overlap with something else? (I forget what)
  • The pattern that's been around since Platinum is broken and there is no July trailer, but there's a trailer the first week of August to hype up preorders opening in Japan.
  • TPC/Nintendo make a(nother) bad business move and do not hype up preorders opening in Japan, or they consider this sheet music reveal to sufficiently count as a 'trailer'.
As much as I wish TPC would start marketing their games again, I'm not sure it's a bad business decision. They've probably just figured out that they can get away without frequent trailers and still print $$$. As an added bonus for them, by not putting out a trailer they don't have to listen to all the moaning and complaining about the newest unpolished tree or stutter in a mon's yet-to-be-polished animation.

As for the song, I found it kind of underwhelming that it was just the theme they played in the reveal trailer and not something new, but I liked the bit that was used in all the Sun/Moon reveal trailers (the golden age of trailer drops).

As much as I wish TPC would start marketing their games again, I'm not sure it's a bad business decision. They've probably just figured out that they can get away without frequent trailers and still print $$$. As an added bonus for them, by not putting out a trailer they don't have to listen to all the moaning and complaining about the newest unpolished tree or stutter in a mon's yet-to-be-polished animation.

As for the song, I found it kind of underwhelming that it was just the theme they played in the reveal trailer and not something new, but I liked the bit that was used in all the Sun/Moon reveal trailers (the golden age of trailer drops).
I think it's a bit of a different situation.

The advertising of the games has been through a bit of up and downs since gen 6. They had gens of far too much advertising (7 mainly) where people have complained that basically there was nothing left to find in the games when they released, to SwSh which had extremely limited advertising and the whole dexit shitstorm.

It's possible they're just trying out another cadence, not as dry as for SwSh but also not as full as SM had.

I hope they have Pikachu in this game!
Not sure if trolling or serious, but Pikachu is the one pokemon that you're 100% guaranteed to see in every game. Eevee being probably the other one.
Being the mascots of the company, they're unlikely to ever miss the regional dex. (iirc, in fact Eevee only missed a single one before becoming a mascot, and Pikachu still appears in every game)

The advertising of the games has been through a bit of up and downs since gen 6. They had gens of far too much advertising (7 mainly) where people have complained that basically there was nothing left to find in the games when they released, to SwSh which had extremely limited advertising and the whole dexit shitstorm.

It's possible they're just trying out another cadence, not as dry as for SwSh but also not as full as SM had.

Not sure if trolling or serious, but Pikachu is the one pokemon that you're 100% guaranteed to see in every game. Eevee being probably the other one.
Being the mascots of the company, they're unlikely to ever miss the regional dex. (iirc, in fact Eevee only missed a single one before becoming a mascot, and Pikachu still appears in every game)
Except Gen 5.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Incidentally, wasnt also that the only generation lacking Eevee?

Though then again, it was also the only generation where the regional dex was actually full new pokemon with 0 old ones if I'm not mistaken (which I may be, feel free to correct me)
Original BW have their Pokédex with only new Pokémon, absolutely no new returning Pokémon until post-game, not even Pikachu.

B2W2 have an expended Unova dex that included several Pokémon from previous Pokédex that can be found before the post-game, increasing divserity.

Straight up BDSP, LA & SV have all felt dryer than SWSH

SWSH's probablem was it was a dripfeed, these games its banging the cantine for months hoping for a single drop

I don't mind too much because I have other things to look forward to, but it's funny how games like Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 had their entire prerelease cycles in the time it took for ScarVi to get two updates. There are some caveats like the latter originally being planned for September and SV being announced early for the sake of Pokémon Day, but it's still funny to think about.

Though XC3 is still a week away, so there's still time for ScarVi to get a third update. Make it happen TPC!

Sun and Moon probably had the most exciting prerelease period in my experience, but I kind of stopped paying attention near the end and I understand why people think they showed too much. Heck, we have eight new Pokémon revealed already, that's probably 10% of the new ones!

To be fair, color mine as somewhat unpopular opinion but... do we "really" need more informations on the game already?

Don't get me wrong, I myself am still curious on a few parts (like, which/if regional forms will happen, non rumour-from legendary types and abilities, the region name, what/if the super mechanic is, etc), but it's all things we'll get to know eventually, and to echo on Lightchao42 there's also a decent chunk of new games releasing anyway right now to catch my attention (rip my wallet QQ).

Pokemon games are at a point where they don't "really" need spam of advertising to hype the audience anyway, and with how many terrifying PR failures they've made in the last years, honestly the less they do the better.

I may also be somewhat biased because another company I stan for has this awful habit of spamming trailers for the games they release almost every day (*sighs at Atlus*) to the point where I stop following their yt channel because it just becomes boring to know 90% of the creatures present in game as well as 90% of the main cast before it even releases.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
To be fair, color mine as somewhat unpopular opinion but... do we "really" need more informations on the game already?

I mean, I'd definitely like to know what the region is called so I don't have to keep refering to it as "Pokespain" until release lmao

I feel like specially with this being the first fully open world Pokémon game, a few more trailers to explain how the game is going to work would be nice. Some trailers to explain further how open is the game, how the Gyms are going to work since you can (presumably) go to them at any point in time, how wild Pokémon level works. Also clarifying what mechanics from Legends Arceus are returning (Namely curious about Overworld Catching, Move Relearning, Rides and manual Evolving)

I'm gonna assume this gen also has its Mega/Z-Move/Max equivalent so that's definitely something they should at least explain to us before release

also the official site has descriptions and lore details about the Pokémon that the games themselves often don't mention so if anything, getting more mons revealed so we can see the official site info about them would be nice but i'm probably on the minority in this end

Don't get me wrong, I myself am still curious on a few parts (like, which/if regional forms will happen, non rumour-from legendary types and abilities, the region name, what/if the super mechanic is, etc), but it's all things we'll get to know eventually, and to echo on Lightchao42 there's also a decent chunk of new games releasing anyway right now to catch my attention (rip my wallet QQ).

Pokemon games are at a point where they don't "really" need spam of advertising to hype the audience anyway, and with how many terrifying PR failures they've made in the last years, honestly the less they do the better.

I may also be somewhat biased because another company I stan for has this awful habit of spamming trailers for the games they release almost every day (*sighs at Atlus*) to the point where I stop following their yt channel because it just becomes boring to know 90% of the creatures present in game as well as 90% of the main cast before it even releases.
I think its nice to get consistent monthly updates on games, yeah. Like there's ways to show things off without feeling the need to show everything off. Hell the real problem with gen 7 was the pokemon being shown off almost entirely in full, it handled the game's plot & characters totally fine in comparison.

It's nice to see new footage and screenshots in addition to features and Pokemon in a recurring time schedule. Remind you it exists. Something to look forward to. Show things to make you go "oh thats nice" or "oh thats cool" or oh thats really bad why did you do that instead of just stewing in the little we have for 2-3 months at a time.

we don't even have the region's name!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)