Metagame Partners in Crime

I haven't been been playing this tier for too long but I want to share my teams here, which peaked at top 30 and 20 along with a little tech I think could see more use.
To be clear these teams aren't quite pick-up-and-win as imo trick room teams are inherently volatile in this tier with such a huge damage output so you still need to outplay your opponents basically every game if they're good, especially in the first few turns of the game but I think these are still really fun teams that can win if you're playing well enough.
https://pokepast.es/1499179e05d653a0
View attachment 453071
Proof of peak ^
The gameplan is very simple, you get room up with the help with fake out/wide guard and do some damage, I usually lead stakataka perrserker for a more offensive lead but rillaboom/porygon can both lead as well. The sets here are quite self explanatory as well so I don't think I need to go in depth on them
(I'll probably not edit in replays here as this team just isn't as good and I forgot to save any while I was still using it)
https://pokepast.es/8d060e57a915cbba
View attachment 453073Proof of peak ^
This team, again, is relatively intuitive to use, you basically always lead hitmontop + hat/p2 depending on the matchup unless hitmontop in which case you have to adapt a bit but most of the time getting room up is relatively simple, and once you do you just position to get your sweepers in and sweep
:ss/porygon2:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Eerie Impulse
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
Porygon2 is an excellent trick room setter in pic because it has excess to download to buff sweepers while also having an excellent bulk and supporting moveset, along with an ability to still do good damage especially with a download buff
:ss/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Expanding Force
Hatterene is an offensive setter with the ability to do huge damage when paired with eruption while also providing magic bounce to counter taunt and spore, while also being immune to dragon spam and 4x resists fighting which is a huge weakness for the rest of the team. Expert belt here is a nice alternative to life orb to give hat more survivability.
:ss/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
Just your stock-standard torkoal, eruption for damage, heat wave when low health, along with solar beam for much needed coverage against the water types. Safety Goggles for spore/sleep powder though charcoal probably fits as well.
:ss/heatran:
Heatran @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume
Again, nothing special here, eruption for main damage and lava plume for flash fire activation along with earth power and flash cannon coverage.
:ss/pangoro:
Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat
- Protect
My favourite part of the team, pangoro provides mold breaker to help heatran wreck teams, going right through other heatrans' flash fire. CC and knock off also do good damage with lorb and provides some physical attacks on the team, while protect is a nice, simple defensive option you can always appreciate. Quick guard? Quick guard! It invalidates priorities like bullet punch or grassy glide along with fake out and triage, the latter two are way more important but also be mindful that it can only be used in room as it ties priorities with both at +3, which is incredible utility for a trick room team so you don't have to go on the defensive.
:ss/hitmontop:
Hitmontop (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Feint
Last but not least, hitmontop is surprisingly uncommon (and unranked?) mon but it provides great utility with fake out + wide guard + feint. Fake out and wide guard can help a bunch with setting room up while and feint will help you do some damage once it is up, most notably for wide guard breaking which is another strangely uncommon thing, in combination with intimidate which is obviously amazing.
(I will edit in replays here probably)
To be very clear, this is not exclusive to pic, nor am I the first one to discover it probably but I've kept this at the back of my mind for a long time now (like 2 years?) and I haven't seen anyone use it or mention it(ever, not just in this tier) so I want to share it here.
What is this little trick?
The concept of it is very simple, you use trick room with both your mons when trick room is up, reversing it then setting it again to reset turns.
What are the main use cases?
As you may have noticed, doing this takes up your entire turn, no attacks, no protection so the main way you'll get to utilize this is when you're predicting them protecting on both mons (or switching), you can also do this when you think/know they're not going to ko either one of your mons but that's more niche and unsafe
Why is this so much more potent in pic?
Set up for regular doubles:
you need to have 2 trick room setters up while also pressuring enough for them to protect on both (or switch) or you're very sure they can't ko you, for the sake of this I'll just focus on the former as it's way more practical. To be able to pull that off you would need either 2 trick room setters on the field which is rare or only one that can pressure both enough, for example necrozma or hat in psychic terrain, now even with this set up, which is already hard and niche to pull off they would also have to be sure they won't attack especially if they already protected the turn previous.
Set up for pic: you now only need one trick room setter on the field, which opens up much more opportunities, because you can have any trick room sweeper along with a bulky or offensive setter to pull this off as long as they can assert enough pressure on, for example for my team that could be heatran or torkoal with either hat or p2, or even hat and p2 in some cases.
Replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8partnersincrime-1662296616-jyffjj3yzm1asng78mwttli3cpbdd9apw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8partnersincrime-1662330563-pbx61w42bywfr5cf19nghdo75w3gt7cpw
(sorry if this is a bit messy or something but it's my first smogon post that isn't in or a winpost)
I've probably faced you. Because I have seen that Trick Room tech several times in this meta. It's jaw dropping to see in action for the first time, as, like you said, it depends on your opponent not double attacking.

I felt so good the first time I actually countered it. I think I used either imprison trick room, or just straight up killed one of the opponent's mons.

Edit: funnily enough, I just got served by this same tech while writing this and playing my latest game.

I've probably faced you. Because I have seen that Trick Room tech several times in this meta. It's jaw dropping to see in action for the first time, as, like you said, it depends on your opponent not double attacking.

I felt so good the first time I actually countered it. I think I used either imprison trick room, or just straight up killed one of the opponent's mons.

Edit: funnily enough, I just got served by this same tech while writing this and playing my latest game.
I don't quite recognize you but if you've played around 6-10pm gmt+7 in the last two days you've probably faced me before, and hopefully the word is spreading fast

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think I found a targeting bug / glitch

Possible cause: I think low memory (many open apps) or low storage space cause Showdown to behave erratically on Chrome Mobile
After recreating the scenario shown in your video with no issues at all, this is not a bug associated with Partners in Crime. Whatever you're using to play PS must have lagged and thus sent multiple inputs from (probably) tapping a few too many times (as substitute doesn't take a target, you've probably accidentally clicked coaching immediately after).

After recreating the scenario shown in your video with no issues at all, this is not a bug associated with Partners in Crime. Whatever you're using to play PS must have lagged and thus sent multiple inputs from (probably) tapping a few too many times (as substitute doesn't take a target, you've probably accidentally clicked coaching immediately after).
Thanks for the quick response!

In hindsight, this makes most sense. The irregularities I've found in several occasions (hitting my partner (like on the Extra Replay), hitting the opponent in front, having or not having the opportunity to choose my second move, etc) must be that the two "rapid fire" actions simply correspond to the same location on the touchscreen.

In other words, I could click a move and then instantly target my partner without me knowing, because both "buttons" are located on the same pixels I tapped. Even if I don't double tap the screen really fast.

It also makes sense, as I have the "show taps" debug option on my Android phone, and I have seen some odd stuff happen from time to time, such as seeing literally more than 10 different taps rapidly occuring on the screen edges.

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- U-Turn / Rock Slide / Knock Off
- Taunt / Quick Guard / Wide Guard / Protect

As others have observed, Inner Focus is a great ability to share with a partner, and my user of choice is Sash Mienshao. Since it's best used in the lead slot, a Sash reliably gives it another chance to move. I've seen Crobat mentioned as another IF user upthread, and while I see the appeal of a blazing-fast Tailwind on something that can't be Faked Out, it's a lot weaker than Mienshao, which means bleeding momentum as long as it's out.

Generally speaking, Intimidate's buff makes it tempting to rely on for tanking physical attacks, and sharing speed control moves with your partner makes them a lot more reliable to set up. An offensive lead that addresses both issues is invaluable on physically-oriented teams, and I personally feel Mienshao is criminally underrated in D-rank. Not a formal nomination though cuz I cbf to get replays.

As for the meta itself, no major complaints -- I've yet to encounter any mons or strategies that felt unreasonable to fight against, wins vs well-built teams are rarely free, and I'm having fun.

Last edited:
Is a core that abuses Rock Head good? Like Blacephalon and Steelix?
UPDATE: Mind Blown apparently doesnt count as a recoil move so it doesnt work.

Last edited:
Just here to signal that unburden isn't working right (in my opinion). Like grassy seed tapu bulu paired with (faster) unburden hawlucha not getting the boost. I don't know if it's a bug or I didn't understand how unburden is supposed to work here (had a team idea of grassy seed sweepers being supported by sub seed sceptile and bulu).

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Just here to signal that unburden isn't working right (in my opinion). Like grassy seed tapu bulu paired with (faster) unburden hawlucha not getting the boost. I don't know if it's a bug or I didn't understand how unburden is supposed to work here
do you have a replay? I can't confirm if it was a bug or not without one.

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
okay okay i'm back

:swsh/articuno-galar: UR(seriously how is this UR) --> C

Imprison Room
Articuno-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Imprison
- Trick Room
- Hurricane

Tailwind Support
Articuno-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect/Skill Swap
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Freezing Glare/Expanding Force

Galarian Articuno has recently reared its head as a unpredictable and sometimes devastating threat. It's competitive ability alongside good support moves in imprison, trick room, and tailwind allow it to support its teammates endlessly. It pairs well with many good Pokémon such as Incineroar, Landorus-Therian, Indeedee-F, Tapu Lele, and more. Physical attackers enjoy having it as it provides valuable speed control as well as a punish to Intimidate. Some Articuno have even been running Skill Swap to allow Intimidate teammates such as Incineroar and Landorus-T to switch the intimidate onto their opponent's Pokémon to give both of your Pokémon a +4 in special attack, making Articuno's attacks absolutely nuclear. When paired with a Special Attacker, Articuno can either gain access to actual coverage or be devastating under psychic terrain.

Last edited:

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
Galarian Articuno has recently reared its head as a unpredictable and sometimes devastating threat. It's competitive ability alongside good support moves in imprison, trick room, and tailwind allow it to support its teammates endlessly. It pairs well with many good Pokémon such as Incineroar, Landorus-Therian, Indeedee-F, Tapu Lele, and more. Physical attackers enjoy having it as it provides valuable speed control as well as a punish to Intimidate. Some Articuno have even been running Skill Swap to allow Intimidate teammates such as Incineroar and Landorus-T to switch the intimidate onto their opponent's Pokémon to give both of your Pokémon a +4 in special attack, making Articuno's attacks absolutely nuclear. When paired with a Special Attacker, Articuno can either gain access to actual coverage or be devastating under psychic terrain.
I just want to point out Articuno-Galar is a flying type, which means that it can never be under psychic terrain, and because of that, Expanding Force is essentially only there to pass to a buddy and nothing else. That crucial hindrance will probably make it D at best as from my perspective as its a lot easier to play around than similar mons who do the same thing but are grounded. It does work in some scenarios, but you're better off running something like Gothitelle or even Meowstic-F for a similar gimmick, because they can actually use Expanding Force.

I just want to point out Articuno-Galar is a flying type, which means that it can never be under psychic terrain, and because of that, Expanding Force is essentially only there to pass to a buddy and nothing else. That crucial hindrance will probably make it D at best as from my perspective as its a lot easier to play around than similar mons who do the same thing but are grounded. It does work in some scenarios, but you're better off running something like Gothitelle or even Meowstic-F for a similar gimmick, because they can actually use Expanding Force.
While I agree expanding force isn't that useful for itself, its flying typing, useful movepool (tailwind in particular), and much better stats including an incredible 125 SpA make it far better than Gothitelle or Meowstic. Losing out on double expanding force is a big downside, but everything else Articuno-G has to offer is a direct improvement over other psychic type competitive users, and it still has a strong single target expanding force.

While I agree expanding force isn't that useful for itself, its flying typing, useful movepool (tailwind in particular), and much better stats including an incredible 125 SpA make it far better than Gothitelle or Meowstic. Losing out on double expanding force is a big downside, but everything else Articuno-G has to offer is a direct improvement over other psychic type competitive users, and it still has a strong single target expanding force.
Actually because of difference in BP and Psychic Terrain, Gothitelle does more
252 SpA Articuno-Galar Expanding Force vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 56-66 (19.9 - 23.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Gothitelle Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele in Psychic Terrain: 90-107 (32 - 38%) -- 95.4% chance to 3HKO
Articuno does have Roost, slightly better bulk, and secondary STAB.
If you want to use Garticuno you should use Freezing Glare at least since it’s something Gothitelle doesn’t have and paired with Serene Grace can almost be uncompetitive.

Actually because of difference in BP and Psychic Terrain, Gothitelle does more
252 SpA Articuno-Galar Expanding Force vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 56-66 (19.9 - 23.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Gothitelle Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele in Psychic Terrain: 90-107 (32 - 38%) -- 95.4% chance to 3HKO
Articuno does have Roost, slightly better bulk, and secondary STAB.
If you want to use Garticuno you should use Freezing Glare at least since it’s something Gothitelle doesn’t have and paired with Serene Grace can almost be uncompetitive.
My point isn't that expanding force on Articuno-Galar is stronger, it's that everything else is better AND you still have a strong single target move.

Let's talk about one of my favourite strategies in Partners in Crime: Skill Swap.

A lot of already good doubles pokémon, particularly support pokémon, learn skill swap naturally and may have a free moveslot. A lot of Partners in Crime is taking advantage of your partner's shared ability to make your moves stronger, or spam spread moves without affecting your ally. Strategies like lightningrod discharge, soundproof boomburst, storm drain surf, etc. You can also steal abilities and cycle abiltiies like intimidate safely, or give away your useless ability (e.g. Mew) in exchange for your opponent's useful one. Taking a look at the sample teams, most of them having ability stacking which will suddenly have the tides turned by stealing the central ability (e.g. Chlorophyll, Surge Surfer, Sand Rush, Contrary, Swift Swim) without having to resort to countering each team style specifically. The beauty of Partners in Crime is that the skill swap users don't have to be the abusers: You can give Clefairy skill swap and have your Kartana steal Flash Fire from the eruption Heatran, completely nullifying it.

TL:DR Skill swap is great for disrupting ability based strategies while allowing you to cycle your own abilities.

My point isn't that expanding force on Articuno-Galar is stronger, it's that everything else is better AND you still have a strong single target move.
It is, but only for coverage moves. If you want to use a Pokemon with Competitive+Trick Room+Imprison+Abuses Psychic Terrain, you would use Gothitelle instead even though its coverage is weaker because it can abuse Psychic Terrain. Like sure Articuno has STAB Hurricane, but that’s only really useful against Dark types and possibly opposing Psychic types. Gothitelle being slower can also be benefitical too since it’s Slow enough to be useful in Trick Room and fast enough to outspeed common trickroom Pokemon outside of Trickroom. So you can Imprison Trick Room against opposing Trick Room teams and Trick Room against non-Trick Room teams.

There is still some merit to Articuno, in that Gothitelle doesn’t learn Recover, but that really isn’t such a big deal since anything now has reliable recovery.

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
1663520464273.png

Hello, I recently hit #1 on the Partners in Crime ladder. I used a standard screens BO, emphasis on the bulky. I made the team to deal with MU's I considered annoying, i.e., status spamming, Intimidate spam, Volt Absorb/Water Absorb spread moves, etc. The core of the team revolves around Zygarde. The team is designed to make sure Zygarde stays around for as long as possible and is as annoying as possible. Thousand Arrows is just an insane move, and Glare paired with Prankster is a complete nuisance to a lot of teams. It may seem weird to have Glare on a team with Tapu Fini, but I found it to be a lot less of a problem than I originally thought given how much terrain spam there is + how little I actually had Zygarde and Fini on the field together. Levitate being fairly common also means that you can Glare while ignoring Misty Terrain, assuming you haven't knocked them down with TA yet. Speaking of which, Tapu Fini is there for Misty Terrain, but it is also a threat under dual screens. Scald is for Wide Guard, as well as helps versus the Rillaboom MU. Incineroar doesn't require much explanation; Knock Off is for Eviolite mainly. You could replace it. Milotic is there to deter Intimidate for your Zygarde, and it also gives Tapu Fini and Kyurem-Black insane SpAtk boosts. It's also very good into common Intimidate mons like Lando-T and Incineroar as well. Coil is primarily so that Muddy Water is 100% accurate, but the ability to boost your Defense is amazing. It also helps that just about every mon on the team can utilize it to some degree, especially Zygarde. Last mon is Kyurem-Black, which I put on for Teravolt to ignore immunities. It is primarily a special attacker so that it can synergize with Tapu Fini and/or Milotic. Ice/Ground coverage is pretty insane, so I wanted to leverage that as much as possible.

https://pokepast.es/c9f2939bfafbd46b

Last edited:

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
Jigglypuff didn't get its partner's soundproof on turn 9. Perish song is not supposed to affect soundproof Pokemon, including the user. I've used such sets in STABmons and AAA before where soundproof works as expected, protecting the user from its own perish song, so why didn't it protect jigglypuff here? Seems to be a bug.
Not a bug, a mechanics change made it so Soundproof mons aren't immune to their own sound move. So uh, RIP your strat.

Well, it didn't take me that long, but new levels of torture has been achieved!

The Durant Dilemma

:ss/Dugtrio: :ss/Diglett: :ss/Durant: :ss/meowstic:

Using Arena Trap and the newly acquired Skill Swap from a Pokemon such as Meowstic, you can essentially collect free turns for setup as both mons are stuck in a state of Truant. It is currently legal, but luckily there are ways get around it, Flying-types and Levitate being especially useful since it cancels out Arena Trap. You can also attack your own mons, if the trapper doesn't carry heal pulse that is. However, once you are in it is going to be a struggle to get out. Good luck!
Here is my attempt at using this: https://pokepast.es/75c67223d6807549
:Zygarde::Weezing::Dugtrio::Tapu Lele::Durant::Meowstic:

The whole game plan is to do whatever you can to give your opponent truant and trap them. Opponents will have to play around your attempts to set up. It's possible to win without the strat, but usually wins seem to come from pulling it off.

:SM/zygarde: Provides thousand arrows which allows dugtrio to trap, thousand waves which can trap two mons at once, and coil as a set up move. It doesnt need an ability so it is not really affected by neutralizing gas.

:SM/Tapu Lele: Is there to prevent Fake Out. It has calm mind just in case it's the mon you end up setting up with.

:SM/Weezing: Helps to control abilities like stopping your own truant, prevent intimidate from activating, and preventing some ability based strats. Haze helps a lot to stop set up.

Are you tired of tricky strategies?

Do you want to just do brain dead moves?

And finally do you love trolling people?

Well say no more for I have formulated a solution:

download.png

Victini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- V-create
- Protect
- Substitute
- Final Gambit

download (1).png

Accelgor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sticky Hold
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Substitute
- Protect
- Final Gambit

Basically these two are your cores don't let them die no matter what because they hold the power(Final Gambit).

download.jpeg

Regidrago @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Timid Nature
- Dragon Claw
download (2).png

Wailord @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
- Water Spout
download (4).png

Drifblim @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
Timid Nature
- Shadowball
download (3).png

Blissey (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Soft-Boiled

Basically these 4 guys right here are you pawns doesn't need any moves you can just select them randomly they're gonna faint anyways.

Well that's all have fun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)