I know :/. I don't even own a 3DS, but it looks like I'll have to get one now. Well played, Nintendo!
I might still import it mainly just so I can get the Japanese-exclusive Wi-Fi events. My plan is to wait until we know everything about the games (which shouldn't take long at all) and decide if having all that a few months earlier is worth it, and also see if any cool/useful new events are revealed.