SM OU Get your boost out of here (First team in USUM)

Hi guys! This is my first post in this forum, so I hope Im doing the things right xD

During the time of ORAS, I used to play very frequently competitive battles, but since then almost nothing of that. Now, after a little over a month since I finished US, I want to return to the competitive world. So I build my first team in USUM metagame.

Please tell me what do you think! I'll appreciate every suggestion or comment.

Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

I decided to use M- Aggron because I needed a Steel type for the core Dragon-Steel-Feary of my team. Aggron it's gonna be usually the lead and he gonna be the SR settler of the team, and one of the 2 boosters preventers. Stealth Rock are always helpfull, and in Aggron's case it would make me opponent to think twince in order to send a fire type mon in front of him. EQuacke for coverage. Heavy Slam my only Stabb move (also because M-Aggron is really heave), and Roar in order to prevent the booster. He enter, resist the hit, and then make them go out.

Dragonite (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is the second piece of my Dragon-Steel-Feary core and also he gives me the covarage for ground time (that otherwise would leave M-Aggron more voulnerable). So I decide that he would be my physical attacker and Z-move mon in the team. DD to make him faster and stronger, Fly to use the Z-move + stabb, EQuacke for coverage to steel types, and Extreme Speed to revenge killing.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

I choose Rotom-W because he can be very usefull in a lot of ways, and also gives me immunity to earth make him a only one weakness Pokémon. He's the physical defensive mon of the team and the defoger that would have Dragonite to preserve his ability. Has Hydro Pump to hit hard with a stabb move, VS to hit and run, WoW to cripple physicall atackers, and Defog to take out all the stuff and my opponent set in the field.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Greninja gives a lot to my team. He can hit very hard in both ways with 3 Sp attacks and Gunk shot to hit fearys that would be sent it to stop him. Also he has the role to make my opponent uncomfortable for not knowing what kind of Greninja he is, so he has to guess and gamble. My Greninja has a standar set, with Scald, Dark Pulse and Ice Beam to hit in the Special side, and Gunk Shot to hit in the physical one. Also protean gonna let me play with Greninja's type in order to predict my opponent's attacks.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

I choose Amoongus thinking a way to stop Koko, beacuse my Greninja isnt the Ash one, and for now it has Life Orb and not Choice Scarf. His role are, first, be the Sp Defensive pokemon of the team, second, use some spore in any situation that I need it, and third, prevent booster with clear smog. Gigadrain also to restore health (plus his ability), Sludge Bomb to hit fearys, and, as I said before, spore to get some momentum and Clear Smog to reset boosters (and for the steel ones I have Aggron).

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

Finally, Clefable complete the core Dragon-Steel-Feary. She has the role to be the bulky mon that with one or two boost on her can be also a very powerfull Special attacker. Moonblast would be his only but very strong stabb move, Soft-Boiled (+ leftovers) to help her to stand longly in the field, flamethrower to hit the steel types in front of her, and Calm Mind to help her to be indestructible in the Special side and become also a very strong special attacker.

So... What do you think?

I have doubts in Dragonite set (because onces I use the z-move I lost my stabb moves), in Greninja's item (Life Orb gives me extra power and let me change the move, but Choice Scarf let me suprass Koko's speed, altought I already have Amoongus to stop him), and Clefable set (I would like to add Heal Bell, but the current moves are very usefull too).
I've been testing the team since last night (but not a lot), and my current strike is 10-3.

Thanks a lot guys!!

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

IB edit: Reopened

Last edited by a moderator:
Please guys.
I would really appreciate any comment about the team before keep testing it!

Btw, current strike 13-3, already above 1300 in OU

Last edited:
Ask and ye shall receive, here are my comments on the team

1. Give Clefable Heal Bell over Flamethrower.

The purupose of Flamethower on Clefable's set is moot, because Clefable can't ohko any of the steels with Flamethrower. Heal Bell provides you with the chance to heal any pokemon of their status ailments, which is very helpful, especially if any of your mons get Toxic'd or burned.

2. Give Rotom Wash Leftovers over the Iapapa Berry,
Usually Iapapa is useful when the pokemon using it has some over form of recovery, because of how situational the berry is. That is why Iapapa is good on Toxapex, but not on Rotom Wash as Rotom doesn't have any healing moves or abilities. Leftovers provides more passive healing, which is more useful in the long run than the Iapapa Berry.

3. Give Greninja a Choice Scarf and replace Scald with Hydro Pump
Life Orb Greninja is nice to pick up a random unexpected K.O, but it is pretty unreliable against most Greninja ( Ash and Protean) counters barring Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth. Your team also somewhat struggles against Choice Scarf Kartana, as Clefable is the only check ( I guess Flamethrower surprises Kartana, but if Clefable is even somewhat weakened, it can't reliably stop Kartana. Giving Greninja Choice Scarf solves this issue, as Greninja can revenge Kartana, as well as give the team the necessary speed control to check other fast threats. You also should consider Extrasensory to lure Toxapex

4. Give Dragonite Roost over Extreme Speed.
Though Dragonite can sometimes use Extreme Speed to good effect, Roost allows you to wall out some mons thanks to Multiscale, and aid the Setup process with Dragon Dance, which is more useful in the long run.

Also here's the team with changes
Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind

Last edited:
Ask and ye shall receive, here are my comments on the team

1. Give Clefable Heal Bell over Flamethrower.

The purupose of Flamethower on Clefable's set is moot, because Clefable can't ohko any of the steels with Flamethrower. Heal Bell provides you with the chance to heal any pokemon of their status ailments, which is very helpful, especially if any of your mons get Toxic'd or burned.

2. Give Rotom Wash Leftovers over the Iapapa Berry,
Usually Iapapa is useful when the pokemon using it has some over form of recovery, because of how situational the berry is. That is why Iapapa is good on Toxapex, but not on Rotom Wash as Rotom doesn't have any healing moves or abilities. Leftovers provides more passive healing, which is more useful in the long run than the Iapapa Berry.

3. Give Greninja a Choice Scarf and replace Scald with Hydro Pump
Life Orb Greninja is nice to pick up a random unexpected K.O, but it is pretty unreliable against most Greninja ( Ash and Protean) counters barring Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth. Your team also somewhat struggles against Choice Scarf Kartana, as Clefable is the only check ( I guess Flamethrower surprises Kartana, but if Clefable is even somewhat weakened, it can't reliably stop Kartana. Giving Greninja Choice Scarf solves this issue, as Greninja can revenge Kartana, as well as give the team the necessary speed control to check other fast threats. You also should consider Extrasensory to lure Toxapex

4. Give Dragonite Roost over Extreme Speed.
Though Dragonite can sometimes use Extreme Speed to good effect, Roost allows you to wall out some mons thanks to Multiscale, and aid the Setup process with Dragon Dance, which is more useful in the long run.

Also here's the team with changes
Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind
Thanks man!

I didnt think in Kartana to be honest, I was so focus on Koko that totally forgot him xD

I think that I would change flamethrower in Clefable and replace it with Heal Bell as you said. I really need that move. I also would try Dragonite with roost. Altought the priority of Extreme Speed is useful, it's true that in some battles I wished to have my ab again after some SR, so I guess I cant try it.

About Greninja scarf, I will try it too. Life Orb gives some benefits, but it's true that in today's metagame are many threats that are very fast or normaly use Scarf, and they suprass Greninja's speed, so yes, I would try it to.

And it's also true that Toxapex it's a treath to my team, specially if M-Aggron is already defeated or it's burned with toxapex's slcad. So I guess I must give Greninja extrasensory to stop toxapex.

Thank you very much man!

I'll appreciate any other comment or suggestion that you guys have about my team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)