SM OU Ribombee Webs Offense

Introduction

I've been playing a lot of gen7 OU, and since I've seen so little of it, I wanted to make an offensive webs team centered around powerful wallbreakers like mega charizard y and specs koko. The team looks to set up webs to keep my cores faster than most of the meta game and then preferably one shot the enemy team after rocks. The team has performed fairly well so far, but I'd love some advise to optomize the movesets and composition of my team.

The Team

Ribombee (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Sticky Web
- Reflect

Ribombee serves as the fastest sticky web setter in the game, and was the inspiration behind the creation of this team. Since it does not appreciate taking rocks and has a decent matchup against a few common leads, this is usually the go-to sash lead of the team over excadrill. Shield dust allows you to ignore mega lopunnys fake out flinch and OHKO it if it has mega'd. Moonblast with 252 special attack investment allows for a respectable amount of damage before it dies, 2HKOing common leads like offensive landorous and notably OHKOing regular form greninja, which ribombee outspeeds. Using stun spore turn 1 against suspected scarf opponents or base faster pokemon allows you to outspeed next turn once your sash is used up to set up webs before dying, as well as letting the next mon you send in be able to outspeed as well to revenge kill. Sticky web, as explained earlier, is a great move on this mon considering nothing other than prankster thunderous will be able to taunt to prevent webs. The last slot is very flexible, and I have tried defog, quiver dance (also replacing stun spore with HP fire), trick, tailwind, and light screen over reflect. Ultimately the goal of whatever move you put in this slot is to help protect and support whatever's going to be coming in after ribombee, with reflect specifically being to help against , choice scarf Kartana, Mega Lopunny, bisharps, and other fast physical attackers who haven't switched into webs yet.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Charizard Y is a terrifying wallbreaker who becomes insanely hard to deal with for many teams once webs are up. Timid is preferred over modest since charizard will either 2HKO or OHKO anything its meant to go up against whether you're using modest or timid, and timid lets you outspeed things like scarf lele after webs. The moveset is fairly standard except for HP ice, which is there instead of roost to OHKO defensive landorous, Garchomp, and CB Zyguarde. Removing rocks is almost always mandatory however since roost isn't being used.

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Keldeo is on the team as a fast water type to help wallbreak against heatran and serve as a check against greninja. Calm mind and Waterium Z helps it get through general tanks which could threaten other members of the team like clefable or mew, with taunt to allow it to beat toxapex and Chansey, 2 particularly annoying walls against the team. HP poison could be run instead of taunt however for Tapu Bulu.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Specs Koko should be pretty familiar to most people who've played Gen 7 OU. Its role here is the same as it is in any team which runs it; hit insanely hard, volt switch around, and sweep once the ground type has been killed. On this team Koko is also a nice switch in to pokemon like thundurous or Tornadous that aren't affected by webs, whose stabs Koko can resist and kill the following turn. Koko also serves as a nice win conditions should you never be able to get up webs, since it doesn't need webs to outspeed the non-boosted OU metagame.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill helps form the duo sash core with ribombee, and can come in after it to set up rocks and spin away opponent hazards if they got them up while ribombee was out the first turn. Considering Charizard is being used, spinning is invaluable to this team. After using its sash it can then deal a respectable amount of damage with potential flinches using EQ or iron head. Excadrill also serves as the only ground type to stop enemy Kokos from sweeping, meaning it may be necessary to keep alive in some matchups.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

CB tyranitar is an excellent pursuit trapper/revenge killer for many Spdef heavy threats to this mostly special attacking team like Hoopa, latios, Z celebrate victini, or choice scarf blacephelon if it isn't caught in webs. Tyranitars bulk allows it to take a decent amount of hits, especially with a reflect up, making it the closest thing to a tank this team has when that is needed. The moveset is fairly standard, with EQ used over anything else for added insurance against heatran and toxapex.

Conclusion

I've enjoyed playing this team quite a lot, though I have noticed a few weaknesses that I hope you all can help me with, as well as whatever weaknesses you can find. If webs are removed in any way several sweepers like enemy Kokos or choice scarf Leles become huge problems. Chansey is nightmarish as well if keldeo or tyrantar are weakened, and mega venusaur as well if charizard goes down too early. Let me know what you all think and thank you!

Man, this is a pretty well-built team, but there are suggestions to make
1519152177657.png

Give Charizard Y Roost over Hidden Power Ice

Making this change helps bolster Charizard Y's longevity to make match-ups much more easy. Despite Hidden Power Ice looking appealing, there is only one relevant target for it (Zygarde who is pressured by teammates), as Landorus is dealt with Flamethrower, and most other dragons can either outspeed you or shrug off the hit. However Roost allows for you to keep yourself alive in key-matchups where a healthy Charizard wins, as well as, helps for you to shrug off some Stealth Rocks damage in case you couldn't clear rocks for some reason.

Edit:
I forgot to mention it, but you might want to think of giving Ribombee Trick over Reflect. Reflect is cool, but more than not, you'll probably use Stun Spore which is more useful than Reflect. Trick gives you the ability to screw over Chansey, who is a problem for thes team, by giving it a useless Focus Sash in exchange for its Eviolite. If you truly want to mess with enemy pokemon, give Ribombee a Choice Scarf to give setters like Ferrothorn and Landorus a very bad time. Doing that also solves the hazards problem, by giving hazard setters a Choice Scarf to help pressure them, but know it isn't a perfect solution.

Last edited:
Hey man, pretty solid team! There are definitely some tweaks I would want to make, though.

What is your team weak to?
  • Hawlucha could pose as a threat to your team once Tapu-Koko is chipped. The fact that Exca does not have the ability Sand Rush does not necessarily improve your Hawlucha match-up either.
  • Zapdos is a Pokémon that walls your Ribombee in every aspect and can invalidate your team by defogging the webs and at the same time get damage off on the Ribombee. You did cover that weakness as well as possible, however.
  • Hazard Setters such as Ferrothorn and Landorus-Therian can pose a huge nuisance to the team because your removal is not exactly the best, to be fair.
Other than that I gotta say you do not have any other screaming weaknesses to your team, mainly due to the fact that you use Stun Spore on your Rimbombee, which I have not seen yet and seems really nice, so props for that!

How can you improve your team?

Landorus-Therian > Excadrill: The issue I have with Excadrill, specfically the Sash set, is that it loses to any decent hazard setter, hence I actually included it as a weakness. Landorus-Therian provides both hazard removal and hazard setting, which I am going to make a hazard setter on this team.

Roost > Hidden Power [Ice]; Charizard-Y: I can not stress this enough: For you to beat stall effectively, you need to have your own form of sustainability, which is why Roost is mandatory on Charizard-Y. I decided to drop Hidden Power [Ice], because it was the most expendable move to replace.

Kartana > Keldeo: I feel like Keldeo is kind of deadweight to this team. Its Z-Move power halfs in sun, the most prominent setter of which you just seem to have on your team. Kartana, which I am going to give a Z-Crystal as well, is a great stand-alone wallbreaker with Swords Dance.

*NOTE: I could not really cover the hazard weakness at all. There is, however, the option of dropping U-Turn for Defog.

Anyway, I really hope I helped you out somewhat but this was quite the task to complete! :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)