Project USM TEAMBUILDING: Week 17: Golisopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 14: Kingler

This week's challenge mon is Kingler. USM gave Kingler access to liquidation, allowing it to use Sheer Force to gain an absurdly strong STAB attack coming of its base 130 attack stat. Kingler also has access to interesting setup moves, such as Agility and Swords Dance, which can make it threatening in conjunction with its usable base 75 speed stat. Kingler, however, has difficulty breaking through Milotic with its limited movepool, and is let down by its mediocre physical bulk and abysmal special defense. It will truly take this week's builders an effort that can allow Kingler to shine with the full power of its claw.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Kingler @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

no one would see this coming

252 Atk Sheer Force Kingler Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde-10%: 241-285 (96.7 - 114.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Superpower / Aqua Jet

Here's a Kingler set I believe might work out a bit better, I'm not sure.
Shut up pussy. As a wise man once said: "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people." Basically what he means by this is that a real man does not give any fucks. If ur going in, u better go in knee-deep, son. Which brings me to my godlike team:

1519504756421.png
1519504770705.png
1519504788770.png
1519504802487.png
1519504812211.png
1519504821823.png

So first up we got DD Kingler. The real DD, not the standard Gatr shit. We're talking the one that easily breaks Milo with a Jolly nature. Secondly i needed an equally bad mon to partner with KING DD, hence the one and only Mr. CB Ribombee was picked. U got that Trick and Stun Spore that u never click, bc all u ever do is U-Turn on M-Lix, but that's fine. Not like it gets any other physical moves anyway. Its purpose is just to let ya boi come in on steels anyway. Thirdly, since we have a mon that only ever U-Turns around, i figured we could use some more breakers that appreciates the support. So i picked a real mon for once, being SD Build-A-Bear. The 4th slot is free to use whatever u want in all honesty. Taunt breaks the only good playstyle ever invented, Sclaw hits the rare Hoopster/Missy/Deadblade, SP gets rolls DP misses out on. Now, U-Turn is fine and all, but we need to get that volt turn combo to truly bring out the power of Kingler. Miss Cutsherself fills the volt part just fine. For some reason she can also get rid of fog now, so now we also got that hazard control on deck. Clearly, this team isn't bad enough yet, so we gotta fit the one and only Dongzong. Normal/Flying/Fairy/Psychic resist, beats M-Lix, Queen, Swellow, Garde check, is passive as hell, yadda yadda. Just some good 'ol dong to give ya'll something to chew on. Lastly i noticed that this work of art lacked a cleaner, rkiller and fire resist, and most importantly, an extremely relevant Jurassic Park reference, hence your man Fashionable T Rex got to join the squad. Bet u wish u rocked that Scarf as fine as him.

Replays bc u need to see the squad in action to realize what humongous fighting prowess it is packing.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-709033271
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-709027898

Tha K I N G (Kingler) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Superpower

Mr Bee (Ribombee-Totem) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sweet Veil
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leech Life
- Stun Spore
- Trick

Build-A-Bear (Bewear) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Double-Edge
- Shadow Claw / Taunt / Superpower

MS. Cutsherself (Rotom-Mow) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leaf Storm

Dongzong (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Psywave
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Fashionable Rex (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~

Kingler @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Liquidation
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

I put the Darkinium Z because it helps me vs some pokemons that could potentially prevent my wallbreak like :

Doublade : +2 252+ Atk Kingler Black Hole Eclipse (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Doublade: 226-268 (70.1 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(normally Doublade can tank all Kingler moves even at +2,so this set can lure Doublade and kill him after some minuscules damage like spikes)

Araquanid: +2 252+ Atk Kingler Black Hole Eclipse (120 BP) vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 308-363 (102.3 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Milotic: +2 252+ Atk Kingler Black Hole Eclipse (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (I know it does the same damages than Superpower at +2 but it does the same damage without having the ATK drop due to the use of superpower.)

220 speed allows to outspeed the 60 bst like Incineroar and more ( i know he is not played but it's always helpful to outspeed him or others pokemons)

252 atk I do not need to explain I think.

36 hp I put the rest of the Evs in hp to improve its bulk and setup easily / more

Finally,I give you a good partner to this game and who benefits a lot who is:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Kingler can weaken all checks of Feraligatr like Milotic and Feraligatr can clean the game.
yes dude, you see the same thing as me.

Double water sweeper Core.

Importable of a team with them

Steelix and Roserade are there for sr/spikes
Mandibuzz brings momentum,it can defog if it's necessary and covers grass weakness
Finally,Cresselia covers the fight weakness

Last edited:

KINGLARF (Kingler) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

WIGGLYGARF (Wigglytuff) @ Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 92 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast

GARFABRA (Kadabra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Counter
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Grass Knot

KLINKFIELD (Klinklang) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Magnet Rise
- Wild Charge

GARFILLUXE (Vanilluxe) @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Taunt

GARPHAROS (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

ok so agility kinglarf is imo the only set that isnt an outright worse feraligarf since it does get a higher attack stat and the difference in the speed tier doesnt rlly make much of an impact. i had no clue what to run on it though so that set is probably shit lmao. anyways, wigglygarf is there bc it beats defog mandifield and some other stuff like garfbreon and it hits kinda hard after a competitive boost. good mon. scarfers are for pussies and i already had a mega so i couldnt fit mega garfette so i went for the best next thing (xd), garfabra. it beats all the common threats a scarfer is supposed to revenge, and countersash comes in handy lots of times. psychic hits garfazzle and and the next 2 moves are fillers lol. nature is to take more damage from foul play so u counter it back (it kos garfbreon!) klinkfield forms an offensive core with kinglarf and it appreciates the teams ability to deal with mega steelfield and stuff like that. good mon too. decided to use 2 real mons on the last slots, garfilluxe and garpharos deal with fat balances u tend to find really nicely and they can open the way for a klinkfield/kinglarf sweep.

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Webs Cookie Cookie Offense

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat
- Toxic

Nidoqueen @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Kingler @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

This is a sticky web offense team with Kingler. Kingler has middling speed stat so sticky web solves that issue and it also allows it to use swords dance + 3 attack set which has better coverage all around compared with Double dance set. For sticky web support I added Araquanid since it not only provides webs support but it also has decent offensive presence with its strong STAB in Liquidation which can do some good damage early on in the game.
Next I decided to add Nidoqueen for stealth rock support. Gave it taunt to stop opposing Defog users and cripple walls. Shuca berry allows it to lure Pokemon such as flygon, Rhyperior and Mega steelix ( shout out to Alpha Rabbit for this). Roserade was added as it take out milotic and do well vs the common Lix+ Milo cores. It has sleep powder to potentially allow kingler to set up easier.
Then I added scarf Flygon as it has a great speed tier and it acts as a pseudo Salazzle check which is a threat to offensive teams. Scarf flygon functions well even without webs support so that's good for the team. Lastly honchkrow was added to wallbreak and to clean up late game while providing the team with a priority move in sucker punch.

why am I taking a Kingler teambuilding challenge so seriously.

Unconventional mon dictates an unconventional team
Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt

Kingler @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Agility
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Psychic

Tsareena @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Aerial Ace

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Roost
To begin with I think Kingler kind of received a bad rep for being useless pre USM because it had no stab to work with Sheer Force then being ignored after said problem was fixed. Does that make it not outclassed in RU? probably not but at the very least it boasts the strongest water attack in the tier in 130 base attack Sheer Force Liquidation.

Contrary to popular(?) belief, Kingler does not struggle breaking past Milo at all or many walls for that matter after an SD (even does 82 min to standard bold Cress) and being fast enough to outspeed most common scarfers after an Agility also enables it to be a great cleaner. Unfortunately due to minor lack of coverage and being a double dance set, there are two issues that must be addressed through the rest of the team; defensive checks it definitely needs help with bypassing (grasses in particular) and setup opportunities with mediocre bulk. First, the boring stuff: Tsareena was selected as the hazard removal because due to the frail offensive nature of the team (thanks Kingler) and using slow ass zong as my rocker/bs check, it can get awkward to finesse keeping rocks up (which are extremely important for KO benchmarks) while using defoggers and stacking even more weaknesses with stoise as a spinner didn't sound too appealing. Knocking off items from typical switch ins like Gligar/Doub/Ches is pretty decent for helping Kingler/Barb sweep and u-turning on similary bulky or passive mons like Zong/Regi (or even Lix if healthy) provides rare setup opportunities for Kingler. It's also a nice zydoge check and additional ground resist (we'll get into that later). This thing's hella effing strong as well for some reason like being able to 2HKO Virizion with Power Whip strong. Third team so far itt and all three have had Moltres in them with a different set since this thing's damn good. It handles the many grass types that get in the way of Kingler such as Ches, Rose, HP rock-less Shaymin, healthy Rotom-M, even damn Toxicroak as even forcing them out just to take another round of SR damage can be the difference while in general it's just a major threat to anything slower due to LO. U-turn lets it help provide setup opportunities against the likes of switch ins such as, non-CB lax and scared rock types like rhyp or Diancie. It's also a way to check dangerous threats to this team like escav, sun, and believe it or not, SD Doub.

Now to start off the heatah fajita less standard sets is Scarf Medicham, one of the most destructive scarfers in the tier. It may be uncommon but it's capable of 2HKO'ing nearly every even somewhat used mon in RU with the appropriate move outside of a few outliers likw cress or doub (and tricking an eviolite away from dub is a win for this team anyways). The speed tier is also good enough to be able to revenge DD Gatr which HJK does min 82 to btw and it can flat out clean late game after Kingler/Barb finish punching holes in the opposing teams or even vice versa and help them clean such as by bypassing a pyuk or something. Again, this benefits off U-turn support on some of the bulky stuff that molt/tsar attract or slower offensive mons (like croak, non-scarf rose, lazzle, etc) as medi doesn't have much bulk to switch in too many times itself. Zong is the rocker and anti bs check of the team which covers all kinds of shit like obama, Swellow, garde, venu, almost any non-fire special attacker. But wait, suddenly with heatproof it does cover said fire threats to the team like lazzle or molt which could otherwise claim a kill if coming in on over half the team. Everybody will treat heatproof zong as levitate until it is revealed which often means checking it with those said fire types only to be hit by toxic/psychic (which does min 86% to lazzle and allows zong to be a pretty good lazzle lure/check ironically) while they fail to do more than 38% to Zong. It's also not as passive as other fats like Regi since Gyro Ball does actually threaten offensive mons to a degree. This is also where Tsar and Molt being ground resist/immunities comes in. Despite the teched out zong, Scarf Moltres as a set in particular is still an issue as it still outspeeds and 2hkos the rest of the team while zong has to pretty much use all its health to check it. This is partly where the last mon on this team comes in. Barbaracle will punish a choiced moltres locked into one of its stabs like no other, getting a Shell Smash up and threatening the rest of the opposing team. Outside of just Molt tho, Barb increases the pool of mons of which this team's setup sweepers can setup on. While both Kingler and Barb share some similar setup fodder like extremely passive Regi/Curselax, Kingler tends to setup better against slow fat mons and Barb finds more opportunities against faster offensive mons that fail to OHKO it such as choiced mons locked in non-se moves (Swellow, molt, rose, garde, etc). This diversity of setup fodder coupled with the fact that the two share the same checks and have similarly destructive power (like 80% min to Cress with +2 CC) with Barb actually having a way of dealing with things that stop Kingler like Ches and Shaymin with Aerial Ace make for a potent wallbreaking and sweeping duo.

Please excuse my poor play, just imagine how much more effective this team would be with a better pilot

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-709763860
Barb decimates half a team, Kingler should've clean sweeped the rest after lix got rocks instead of attacking by SDing (big misplay). Even if lix did attack however, no rocks meant Molt could handle Garde and Medi would still be alive. At worst Zong has a coinflip chance of tanking 2 unboosted lazzle fire blasts at 60%.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-709765700
Threw away molt for no reason cuz I'm bad but didn't need it. Kingler destroys a milo then does 37% to weakened ches after medi does over 50 to it with hjk and 76% to lix unboosted, two things that Gatr can't do. Medi easily cleans the rest.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-709770067
Shows how a team of 6 B or higher mons (5 A- or higher) with good synergy gets 5-0'd by Barb as soon as one check is removed and choiced Molt locks into a stab. Also shows Zong not being as passive as popularly believed as it's actually capable 1v1ing half that team. Also queen clearly thought it couldn't hit zong by playing around levitate and there was nothing that would reveal heatproof besides intentionally taking a molt attack.

Last edited:
Week 15: Lycanrock- Dusk

Lycanrock sports a great speed tier, Attack Stat, ability in Tough Claws, and a high powered Z and priority move. On the downside, it is incredibly frail, and its coverage lacks the proper tools to break past Rock and Steel-types, making a Swords Dance sweep challenging to pull off. How can this week;s builders utilize Lycanrock to to its full potential by building teams designed to support it?

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Virizion @ Grassium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

This is a solid team built around lycanrock-dusk. Blastoise-mega removes hazards so moltres can wallbreak also for lycarock-dusk by getting rid of bulky steel types like bronzong. bronzong sets rocks while also checking nidoqueen and other threats for the team. virizion completes the FWG core and has great offensive synergy with lycanrock-dusk because they both threaten each others checks. flygon provides speed control, is a salazzle check and can clean late game. milotic can be annoying but the team can handle it with a well played virizion or you can opt to use lum on virizion and lycanium z on lycanrock-dusk. feraligatr is also a big threat but if you weaken it using blastoise-mega and flygon enough, you can pick it off with accelerock.

teachable

Banned deucer.

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Heat Wave

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Hi, this mon struggled with M-lix so I decided to just pair it with magnemite because this is the amount of effort I was willing to put in here. Anyways, paired it with another Pokemon that likes M-lix gon, a Pokemon that could take advantage of Regi if trapped, and just a generic defensive core. Enjoy friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)