Announcement You can't fire me, I quit.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, honestly didn't think I'd be writing this post for a long time (or ever, my dream has always been to be activity demoted) but the time has come for me to step down as Tier Leader. A few of you may have seen this coming, but I'm sure this is surprising to most. There's a lot of factors at play, but for the most part I just don't feel like I'm what's best for this tier or this community anymore and I don't want to be holding it back.

I feel out of touch with the community and the tournament playerbase. I used to feel like I knew everyone who even touched the tier by name and I always felt like I could compete at the highest level, I'd be joking if I said I still thought I was one of NU's top players. I find myself leaning more and more on others than trusting my own instincts when it comes to tough decisions, and I think that if I'm starting to doubt myself there's something off there. Long gone are the days of voicing joke alts, trolling the room trolls, and venom. Sometimes I wonder if all the policy and red tape we've put up aren't hurting the community more than helping it. I'm not gonna say things were perfect back in the day, we definitely did some shitty things that we probably shouldn't have, but I always felt like everyone who played this tier was a community member, and I would have called every room regular a friend even if I disagreed with them about a the metagame or their opinion about a suspect test. I think the biggest reason I'm stepping down is a common sentiment among those who quit, Smogon has started to feel more like a job than a hobby. When I log on I'm not browsing sub forum threads to add my opinions or offer up cool sets I've been trying, I'm often times just catching up on policy discussion or forcing myself to try and build competitive teams and play at a high level again. The responsibilities I've gathered are the direct results of the contributions I'd put in when I was having fun, but recently they've only reminded me of better times and made me dread logging onto this site. It's hard to believe I've been TL for just a little over 2 years, it certainly seems to me that my time has passed...

Eternally is going to be taking my place as Tier Leader. He's an extremely passionate contributor with his hands in pretty much everything NU and he's the obvious choice to lead this community. Best of luck Eternally, you're now #NotMyTL

Thanks for everything guys, it's been a fun ride. I'll be around still, just with less responsibilities, and hopefully a lot more fun.

I don't think I can understate how much you've done for NU kiyo. Coming up from some shitty voice who couldn't even get driver then shooting up to RO and TL and proving to everyone that new kiyo could be a thing, even if only in theory. I've really enjoyed getting to know you more recently and its a shame to see you leave as TL. I'm sure Eternally is going to do an amazing job, but you'll always be our #NotMyTL .

I’m sad to see you leave TL Kiyo. I have not been around the NU scene very long at all, but the conversations I’ve been a part of and the calls I’ve been in have made me grow to like ya. I know what it’s like to feel as though the site is becoming more of a job than a hobby, so I know 100% where you’re coming from. It’s hard to enjoy your time when you’re forced to do certain things to remain “relevant“. I hope to keep seeing you, even if you’re not TL. Take it easy for a while, because overworking yourself in a place like this really makes your time completely unfun.

Long gone are the days of voicing joke alts
:psynervous:
its super weird seeing the last domino fall for the original group from xy, the group's kinda been apart for a while w/ tenny being who he is now + richard qol ajb and ryan all gone / in-and-out but fsr this is the blow that really makes it sink in. also congrats eternally youre a great friend and gonna do an awesome job as tl

e: IM SORRY GOOMY AS WELL

Last edited:

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Congrats Eternally! Kiyo, thanks for your efforts and I hope you'll enjoy this more in the future.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
:psynervous:
its super weird seeing the last domino fall for the original group from xy, the group's kinda been apart for a while w/ tenny being who he is now + richard qol ajb and ryan all gone / in-and-out but fsr this is the blow that really makes it sink in. also congrats eternally youre a great friend and gonna do an awesome job as tl
When you don't even get mentioned. :pirate:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)