UU Pyukumuku

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC 3/3: Hilomilo, Nuked, Martha
GP 2/2: Martha, Cake

[OVERVIEW]

Pyukumuku uses its good defensive stats, Water typing, and great ability in Unaware to become an effective wall to dangerous setup sweepers in UU such as Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria. It offers a different niche from the often more reliable Quagsire by having access to useful options such as Soak and Block. It also has a significant advantage in special bulk over Quagsire. Unfortunately, Pyukumuku struggles to become a mainstay in the UU metagame for a couple of reasons. It can only used on stall because it is far too passive for any other archetype, lacking any form of damage outside of Toxic and Counter. It also faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground typing that allows it to block Volt Switch and access to STAB attacks it can use to ward off frail attackers. Quagsire's access to Scald is especially important, threatening physical stallbreakers from directly switching in. Quagsire can also provide stall teams with a win condition in Curse, something greatly appreciated that Pyukumuku has no chance at doing. Taunt completely shuts down Pyukumuku, with Crobat and Gliscor being common users that could use free turns to remove entry hazards or recover health. Finally, Pyukumuku can fail to take hits well from certain stallbreakers if it hasn't already used Soak on them, such as Heracross and special Infernape.

name: Unaware Wall
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Soak
move 3: Recover
move 4: Block / Counter
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic is the only proactive method Pyukumuku has for dealing damage and as such is mandatory on any set, hitting some sweepers that might beat it like Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Togekiss. Soak is crucial for Pyukumuku, providing two major benefits. It removes a foe's Steel or Poison typing, allowing Pyukumuku to wear down Pokemon such as Tentacruel, Cobalion, and Mega Aggron. Soak also removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise struggle to beat, such as Latias and Choice Band Terrakion. Recover allows it to stay healthy and continuously check the setup sweepers it needs to. Block is used to trap opposing walls or other Pokemon that can't break Pyukumuku, and it can proceed to Toxic stall them. Counter gives Pyukumuku an option to be less passive versus U-turn users like Scizor and strong Choice Band users that can potentially break through its Recover spam. It can also nail KOs on setup sweepers Pyukumuku can't beat normally such as +1 Haxorus.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs maximize Pyukumuku's bulk. Most of the boosting sweepers Pyukumuku handles are physical, so 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature help it tank their hits. Leftovers gives Pyukumuku passive recovery to keep it healthy enough to take more strong attacks. Unaware allows it to ignore stat boosts from setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Scizor, Cobalion, and Terrakion, which is much more useful than doing a varying amount of damage with Innards Out.

Usage Tips
========

Pyukumuku's HP should be conserved so that it is healthy enough to check the dangerous sweepers it needs to stop, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Swords Dance Cobalion. Other members of the defensive teams Pyukumuku finds usage on are better equipped to take weaker hits and absorb chip damage. For example, versus a Choice Band Scizor, you would not want Pyukumuku to take its strong U-turns because this might weaken it to the point where it doesn't effectively check setup sweepers like Crawdaunt and Mega Altaria. Soak should be used as quickly as possible against strong wallbreakers so their STAB moves stop doing bonus damage to Pyukumuku and it can more easily Toxic stall them. If there are crucial targets to trap, revealing Block early is often not a good idea, as you can catch your opponent off guard by using it later in the match.

Team Options
========

Pyukumuku fits best on stall teams and as such should be paired with other defensive Pokemon. Poison-types such as Tentacruel, Alolan Muk, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku. Tentacruel and Nihilego can also set Toxic Spikes, which will aid Pyukumuku in outlasting opposing sweepers. Mega Steelix provides the Electric immunity that Pyukumuku doesn't, and Pyukumuku in return can handle strong Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-types that pressure Steelix like Cobalion, Infernape, and Krookodile. Other Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor are also great partners. Alomomola can allow Pyukumuku to pivot in more easily with Wish and can remove items from wallbreakers with Knock Off. Blissey can tank most of the Electric- and Grass-type moves that Pyukumuku struggles with, as well as other special attackers strong enough to break through Pyukumuku unboosted, such as Choice Specs users like Primarina, Chandelure, and Hydreigon. Due to Grass-types being incredibly prevalent in the metagame, Pyukumuku appreciates partners on defensive teams that can handle them. Moltres, Scizor, Togekiss, and Vileplume would all be good options to look for. Clerics are almost mandatory when using Pyukumuku, as Toxic poison prevents it from doing its job of checking dangerous sweepers. Common partners like Blissey, Sylveon, and Togekiss are all viable options with other benefits for Pyukumuku as well. Bulky Stealth Rock setters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Nihilego, and Mega Aggron all help chip sweepers that Pyukumuku walls, especially Stealth Rock-weak ones like Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyukumuku has a depressingly barren movepool, and most of these options should not be run over the standard set. Protect allows it to scout against Choice item users and then switch accordingly. It also lets Pyukumuku stall for Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage, but it makes it even more passive without Counter or Block. Gastro Acid lets Pyukumuku Toxic stall Gliscor effectively, and it also removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, Haxorus, and Reuniclus that make them so effective. However, it's often too situational to use a moveslot on. A PP stalling set with Spite instead of Soak eases the matchup against other stall teams but makes virtually every other matchup more difficult.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to use Volt Switch or try to hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before KOing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then pivot out with Volt Switch. Giving foes free momentum with Volt Switch can be very harmful for stall teams, which are forced play reactively by nature.

**Grass-types**: Many of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier are Grass-types, with Serperior being the main threat. Serperior even gets to boost for free so Pyukumuku's teammates will have to handle it at +2 or +4, and it can also use Substitute to avoid Toxic. Other offensive Grass-types like Celebi, Tsareena, and Mega Sceptile will have no issue taking Pyukumuku down either.

**Haxorus**: Haxorus has Mold Breaker, which allows it to freely boost its Attack and ignore Unaware. Pyukumuku's bulk is not enough to handle it at +2 or even +1, and it will break through with ease. Its only hope is to get a Counter off on a +1 non-Z-Move.

**Substitute Users**: Due to Pyukumuku's inability to deal direct damage, Substitute users can come in for free on anything but Toxic and proceed to try and break through Pyukumuku or stall it out. Suicune and Kyurem are especially effective at this because of their access to Pressure.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users completely ignore anything Pyukumuku can do and take advantage of it for free turns. Crobat can Defog, Krookodile can set Stealth Rock, and Gliscor can do both. Switch immediately when facing one of these Pokemon.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
am check oo

Overview
  • Perhaps give examples for dangerous set up sweepers Pyukumuku stops?
  • Pyukumuku also has better Special bulk than Quagsire, so I think you should also mention it.
  • You could also mention that Quagsire gives stall teams a wincon with Curse, which is another big thing it has over Pyukumuku.

Moves
  • On Toxic line: I'd give targets that Toxic hits, such as Latias and Terrakion.
  • On Soak line: I'd give targets that Soak hits, such as Cobalion and Tentacruel.
  • On Recover line: I'd give set-up sweepers that Pyukumuku relies on Recover to beat, such as Crawdaunt and Azumarill.
  • On Counter line: I'd also mention that it may aid Pyukumuku to beat certain set up attackers that overpower it.
Set Details
  • I'd mention what are the set up attackers that Pyukumuku relies on Defense investment to beat.
  • Mention why Unaware is chosen over Innards Out.
Usage Tips
  • Again, what are those set-up sweepers that Pyukumuku stops?
  • I'd mention that sending out Pyukumuku on pivots, such as Choice Band Scizor, is not a good idea because then it might be weakened to the point an opposing set up sweeper might beat it.
Team Options
  • Mention Poison types, as they remove detrimental Toxic Spikes.
  • Mention Ground-types in general.
  • Mention entry hazard removers. Pyukumuku can get chipped if it is forced in on hazards multiple times.
  • Mention Toxic Spikes setters; they give Pyukumuku a much easier time beating set up sweepers.
  • Mention Pokemon that can take on Grass-types.
Other Option
  • Mention a PP stalling set with Spite, Block, Recover, and Toxic. It eases the matchup against opposing bulky teams.

Sage

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
am check oo

Overview
  • Perhaps give examples for dangerous set up sweepers Pyukumuku stops?
  • Pyukumuku also has better Special bulk than Quagsire, so I think you should also mention it.
  • You could also mention that Quagsire gives stall teams a wincon with Curse, which is another big thing it has over Pyukumuku.

Moves
  • On Toxic line: I'd give targets that Toxic hits, such as Latias and Terrakion.
  • On Soak line: I'd give targets that Soak hits, such as Cobalion and Tentacruel.
  • On Recover line: I'd give set-up sweepers that Pyukumuku relies on Recover to beat, such as Crawdaunt and Azumarill.
  • On Counter line: I'd also mention that it may aid Pyukumuku to beat certain set up attackers that overpower it.
Set Details
  • I'd mention what are the set up attackers that Pyukumuku relies on Defense investment to beat.
  • Mention why Unaware is chosen over Innards Out.
Usage Tips
  • Again, what are those set-up sweepers that Pyukumuku stops?
  • I'd mention that sending out Pyukumuku on pivots, such as Choice Band Scizor, is not a good idea because then it might be weakened to the point an opposing set up sweeper might beat it.
Team Options
  • Mention Poison types, as they remove detrimental Toxic Spikes.
  • Mention Ground-types in general.
  • Mention entry hazard removers. Pyukumuku can get chipped if it is forced in on hazards multiple times.
  • Mention Toxic Spikes setters; they give Pyukumuku a much easier time beating set up sweepers.
  • Mention Pokemon that can take on Grass-types.
Other Option
  • Mention a PP stalling set with Spite, Block, Recover, and Toxic. It eases the matchup against opposing bulky teams.
Implemented, thanks ^^

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* This looks really nice overall, though I'd make sure to note that Pyukumuku can at times fail to take strong neutral hits from a few powerful stallbreakers, like special Infernape and Heracross, if it hasn't yet hit them with Soak.

Moves
* Be sure to refrain from saying 'You' in this section and others. I'm not gonna annoy you by repeating that suggestion so just make sure to change up the wording anytime 'you' is used in a sentence throughout this analysis as a whole. This also applies to your use of words like 'we' and 'your.'
* Add another example of a Soak target. Celebi or Latias works.

Set Details
* It'd be nice to give examples of the predominantly physical setup sweepers that you say Pyukumuku usually is meant to handle. Swords Dance Scizor and Cobalion should both work.
* Instead of focusing on Unaware's usefulness versus Innards Out, I'd specifically state that ignoring stat boosts allows Pyukumuku to adequately check a lot of otherwise very threatening Pokemon to stall builds.

Team Options
* Make sure you're calling the Pokemon by its full name and not 'Pyuku.'
* Give examples of specific Pokemon Blissey can wall that you say Pyukumuku may struggle to tank hits from. Primarina and Choice Specs Chandelure both work.
* I'd add in some examples of sturdy checks to Grass-types here, considering that they're often big threats to Pyukumuku and the rest of its team even with Soak. Moltres, defensive Scizor, and Togekiss are good examples of mons that fit this criteria, though if you can come up with others feel free to add them in.
* Change your examples of Stealth Rock-weak stallbreakers to offensive Togekiss and Substitute Kyurem, as both are capable of either beating or stalling out Pyukumuku and are better examples than what you had previously.

Other Options
* Consider adding Gastro Acid here. Say that it allows Pyukumuku to adequately Toxic stall Gliscor while stripping Pokemon like Heracross and Togekiss of their abilities that can be crucial for stallbreaking, but that it is also too situationally useful compared to its other moves to often find room for.
* Remove the Reflect/Light Screen line, it's just too suboptimal an option to really ever see serious use.

Checks and Counters
* Add a section on Substitute users here, give some relevant examples, and say that in using Substitute your examples become capable of setting up on Pyukumuku for free due to it not having anything to break their Substitute. Give Kyurem and Suicune specific mentions here and say that with Pressure they can more quickly stall out Pyukumuku.

Good work, sorry for the wait. QC 1/3 when this is all implemented. Let me know if you disagree with something

Last edited:

Sage

Overview
* This looks really nice overall, though I'd make sure to note that Pyukumuku can at times fail to take strong neutral hits from a few powerful stallbreakers, like special Infernape and Heracross, if it hasn't yet hit them with Soak.

Moves
* Be sure to refrain from saying 'You' in this section and others. I'm not gonna annoy you by repeating that suggestion so just make sure to change up the wording anytime 'you' is used in a sentence throughout this analysis as a whole. This also applies to your use of words like 'we' and 'your.'
* Add another example of a Soak target. Celebi or Latias works.

Set Details
* It'd be nice to give examples of the predominantly physical setup sweepers that you say Pyukumuku usually is meant to handle. Swords Dance Scizor and Cobalion should both work.
* Instead of focusing on Unaware's usefulness versus Innards Out, I'd specifically state that ignoring stat boosts allows Pyukumuku to adequately check a lot of otherwise very threatening Pokemon to stall builds.

Team Options
* Make sure you're calling the Pokemon by its full name and not 'Pyuku.'
* Give examples of specific Pokemon Blissey can wall that you say Pyukumuku may struggle to tank hits from. Primarina and Choice Specs Chandelure both work.
* I'd add in some examples of sturdy checks to Grass-types here, considering that they're often big threats to Pyukumuku and the rest of its team even with Soak. Moltres, defensive Scizor, and Togekiss are good examples of mons that fit this criteria, though if you can come up with others feel free to add them in.
* Change your examples of Stealth Rock-weak stallbreakers to offensive Togekiss and Substitute Kyurem, as both are capable of either beating or stalling out Pyukumuku and are better examples than what you had previously.

Other Options
* Consider adding Gastro Acid here. Say that it allows Pyukumuku to adequately Toxic stall Gliscor while stripping Pokemon like Heracross and Togekiss of their abilities that can be crucial for stallbreaking, but that it is also too situationally useful compared to its other moves to often find room for.
* Remove the Reflect/Light Screen line, it's just too suboptimal an option to really ever see serious use.

Checks and Counters
* Add a section on Substitute users here, give some relevant examples, and say that in using Substitute your examples become capable of setting up on Pyukumuku for free due to it not having anything to break their Substitute. Give Kyurem and Suicune specific mentions here and say that with Pressure they can more quickly stall out Pyukumuku.

Good work, sorry for the wait. QC 1/3 when this is all implemented. Let me know if you disagree with something
Implemented, I think in analyses I've written after this one I got out of the "you" habit (just a writing style from my non Smogon related things whoops). Ready for check #2 whenever

Looks nice overall, just a couple comments.

The first thing I noticed is no Taunt mentions anywhere in the analysis. I think it deserves a mention both in the Overview and Checks and Counters, seeing as Pyuku can do basically jack shit once it's Taunted. Make sure you list off some Taunt users as well; Crobat and Krookodile or Gliscor works.

In Team Options, mention that Pyuku needs clerics because it can't work without Heal Bell / Aromatherapy. Blissey and Sylveon work, if there's any more you wanna put go for it.

The first line in C&C Electric-types is complete filler, remove that for when GP comes.

In the Grass-type C&C line, mention that Serperior can also Substitute on it for free. Alternatively, you can mention this in the Substitute line. Up to you.

QC 2/3

Sage

Looks nice overall, just a couple comments.

The first thing I noticed is no Taunt mentions anywhere in the analysis. I think it deserves a mention both in the Overview and Checks and Counters, seeing as Pyuku can do basically jack shit once it's Taunted. Make sure you list off some Taunt users as well; Crobat and Krookodile or Gliscor works.

In Team Options, mention that Pyuku needs clerics because it can't work without Heal Bell / Aromatherapy. Blissey and Sylveon work, if there's any more you wanna put go for it.

The first line in C&C Electric-types is complete filler, remove that for when GP comes.

In the Grass-type C&C line, mention that Serperior can also Substitute on it for free. Alternatively, you can mention this in the Substitute line. Up to you.

QC 2/3
Done, will be in paragraphs later tonight.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
It also faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground-Type that allows it to block Volt Switch, as well as STAB attacks it can use to ward away frail attackers.
- Mention Scald here especially, because that can threaten a lot fo physical stallbreakers.

- Write up Set Details; it's still in bullets.

Poison Types such as Tentacruel, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku, a huge benefit. T
- Alolan Muk can also be mentioned; it works on some stall builds to provide some offensive presence, Knock Off support, and Pursuit for breakers like Latias.
Mega Steelix avoids stacking the Ground-types with Quagsire
- This isn't so clear, so reword it to say how Pyukumuku does not provide the Electric immunity of Quagsire, so Mega Steelix can block Volt Switch.
- You can also mention removal in Team Options so Pyukumuku doesn't have to take entry hazard chip when switching into strong breakers.

removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, and Reuniclus that make them so effective.
- Mention Haxorus too, because Mold Breaker goes through Unaware, which is why it beats Pyukumuk in the first place.

**Electric-Types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to Volt Switch or try and hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before killing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then Volt Switch out.
- Briefly mention how letting Manectric and both Rotom Volt Switch for free can give the opponent a lot of momentum.

QC 3/3 :fukyu::fukyu::fukyu:post in the gp queue

Sage

- Mention Scald here especially, because that can threaten a lot fo physical stallbreakers.

- Write up Set Details; it's still in bullets.

- Alolan Muk can also be mentioned; it works on some stall builds to provide some offensive presence, Knock Off support, and Pursuit for breakers like Latias.

- This isn't so clear, so reword it to say how Pyukumuku does not provide the Electric immunity of Quagsire, so Mega Steelix can block Volt Switch.
- You can also mention removal in Team Options so Pyukumuku doesn't have to take entry hazard chip when switching into strong breakers.

- Mention Haxorus too, because Mold Breaker goes through Unaware, which is why it beats Pyukumuk in the first place.

- Briefly mention how letting Manectric and both Rotom Volt Switch for free can give the opponent a lot of momentum.

QC 3/3:fukyu::fukyu::fukyu:post in the gp queue
done, GP ready (and posted in queue)

nice writing! the main non-grammar point I have to say is that you used "it" a lot to refer to pyukumuku and i changed a couple of these instances back to pyukumuku. IMO in an article about a specific pokemon, you're going to end up repeating that pokemon's name a lot regardless and i think for the sake of clarity it's ok to use the name a lot (using "it" there's a much higher risk that the reader will get lost and identify the wrong "it"). hopefully u can look through this, use what you want and consider some of the edits i highlighted. i feel like i made a good number of phrasing changes that perhaps weren't necessary so obv feel free to ignore stuff that you think messes with ur voice. any questions let me know!

[OVERVIEW]

Pyukumuku uses its good defensive stats, mono-(ah)Water typing, and great ability in Unaware to become an effectively wall to dangerous set(delete space)up sweepers in the UU metagame, such as Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria. It offers a different niche from the often more reliable Quagsire by having access to useful options, such as Soak and Block. (Imo “useful” does not adequately convey how pyukumuku offers a different niche. I like the adjective “obscure” but I’m not sure that’s really the word you’d be looking for. Just something to consider).ItPyukumuku also has a significant advantage in higher special bulk over Quagsire. Unfortunately, itPyukumuku struggles to become a mainstay in the UU metagame for a couple of reasons. It can only be used on stall teams, beingas it is way too passive to hold its weight on any other team archetype. It also lacks any means of doing damage other than through Toxic or Counter. It alsoFinally, Pyukumuku faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground-Type typing that allows it to block Volt Switch, as well as having STAB attacks ithat Quagsire can use to ward away frail attackers. Access to Scald is especially important for Quagsire, threateningwhich prevents physical stallbreakers from directly switching in. Quagsire can also provide stall teams with a win condition in Curse, something greatly appreciated that Pyukumuku has no chance atof doing. Taunt completely shuts down Pyukumuku,Pyukumuku's lack of attacking options means that Taunt users like Crobat and Gliscor being commocan abusers that could use it's free turns Pyukumuku to remove hazards or recover health. Finally, Pyukumuku can fail to take hits well from certain stallbreakers if it hasn't already used Soak on them, such as Sspecially offensive Infernape and Heracross. (i feel like this overview focuses a little too much on all the things that quagsire does better than pyukumuku to the point where i feel like i'm not reading about pyukumuku. I think you could probably remove the sentence regarding quagsire's access to scald, as i think you get the point across re: STAB moves in the previous sentence).

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic is the only proactive method Pyukumuku has for dealing damage, and as such is mandatory on any set, hitting some sweepers that otherwise might beat it like Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Togekiss. Soak is crucial for Pyukumuku, providing two major benefits. First, it allows it to remove a Steel /and Poison typings from opposing Pokemon letting it Toxic them. It can hit targets like Cobalion, Tentacruel, and Mega Aggron, allowing Pyukumuku to Toxic them. Secondly, it removes STABs from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise have trouble checking, likesuch as Choice Band Terrakion and Latias. Recover allows it to stay healthy and continuously check the set-up sweepers it needs to. Block is used to trap opposing walls or other Pokemon that can't break Pyukumuku, and it can proceed to Toxic stall them to death. Counter gives itPyukumuku an option to be less passive versus U-turn users like Scizor and strong Choice Band users that can potentially break through Recover spam. It can also nail KOs on setup sweepers Pyukumuku can't beat normally such as +1 Haxorus.
Set Details
========

252 HP EVs provide maximum bulk to tank both physical and special hits. Most of the boosting sweepers Pyukumuku is asked to handle are physical, so 252 Defense EVs with a Bold Nnature helps it tank their hits. Leftovers gives passive recovery to keep itPyukumuku healthy enough to take more strong attacks. Unaware allows it to ignore stat boosts, which is much more useful than doing a varying amount of damage with Innards Out. You can use Unaware to check threatening setup sweepers like SD Scizor, Terrakion, and Cobalion.

Usage Tips
========

Pyukumuku's HP should be conserved so that it is healthy enough to check the dangerous sweepers it needs to stop, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Double Dance Cobalion. Other members of the defensive teams Pyukumuku finds usage on are better equipped to take weaker hits and absorb chip damage. For example, versus a Choice Band Scizor, you would not want Pyukumuku to takeabsorb its strong U-turns, because this might weaken it to the point where it doeswon't be able to effectively check setup sweepers like Crawdaunt or Mega Altaria. Soak should be used as quickly as possible against strong wallbreakers, so their STAB moves stop doing bonus damage to Pyukumuku and it can more easily Toxic stall them. If there are crucial targets to trap, revealing Block early is often not a good idea, as you can catch your opponent off guard by using it later in the match.

Team Options
========

Pyukumuku fits best on Sstall teams, and as such should be paired with other defensive Pokemon as a result. Poison T-types that fit on defensive teams, such as Tentacruel, Alolan Muk, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams, can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku, a huge benefit. Tentacruel and Nihilego can also set Toxic Spikes, which will aid Pyukumuku in outlasting the opposing sweepers. (Throw in a sentence here maybe detailing why ground types are good partners for pyukumuku) Mega Steelix is one of Pyukumuku's favorite partners. Mega Steelix because it provides thean Electric-type immunity that Pyukumuku doesn't, andlacks. In return, Pyukumuku in return can handle the strong Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-types that pressure Steelix like Infernape, Krookodile, and Cobalion. Other Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor are also great partners (not clear why – I assume it’s because of their electric immunity. See my previous comment). Alomomola can allow Pyukumuku to pivot in more easily with Wish, and can remove items from wallbreakers with Knock Off. Blissey can tank attacks from most of the Electric- and Grass-types that Pyukumuku struggles with, as well as other special boosters that are strong enough to break through Pyukumuku unboosted (“special boosters” is not clear to me in this context. Do you mean “special attackers”?), such as Choice Specs Uusers like Primarina, Chandelure, and Hydreigon. Due to Grass-types being incredibly present in the meta, Pyukumuku appreciates partners on defensive teams that can handle them. Moltres, Scizor, Togekiss, and Vileplume would all be good options to look foconsider. Clerics are almost Mmandatory when using Pyukumuku, as Toxic prevents it from doing it's job of checking dangerous sweepers. Common partners like Blissey, Sylveon, and Togekiss are all viable options with other benefits fthat support Pyukumuku as well. Bulky Stealth Rock setters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Nihilego, and Mega Aggron all help chip sweepers that Pyukumuku walls, especially Stealth Rock weak ones like Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyukumuku has a depressingly barren movepool, andso most of these options should not be run over the standard set. Protect allows itPyukumuku to scout against Choice item users and then switch accordingly. It also lets you stall for Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage, but it makes you even more passive without Counter or Block. Gastro Acid lets Pyukumuku Toxic stall Gliscor effectively, and also removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, Haxorus, and Reuniclus that make them so effective. However, it's often too situational to use a moveslot on. A PP stalling set with Spite instead of Soak eases the matchup against other Stall teams, but makes virtually every other matchup more difficult.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-Types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to Volt Switch or try and hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before killing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then Volt Switch out. Giving opponents free momentum with Volt Switch can be very harmful for stall teams, which are forced play reactively by nature.

**Grass-Types**: Many of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier are Grass-types, with Breloom and Serperior being the twoa main threats. Bojor th can break it with their strong STABs,t. Serperior even gets to boost for free so your teammates will have to handle it at +2 or +4. It also can get free Substitutes. Other offensive Grass-types like Celebi, Tsareena, and Mega Sceptile will have no issue taking Pyukumuku down either. (breloom is banned i think so it should be replaced in the section and the focus should be shifted to either a different grass or just on serperior)

**Haxorus**: Haxorus has Mold Breaker, which allows it to freely boost its Attack and ignore Unaware. Pyukumuku's bulk is not enough to handle it at +2 or even +1, and it will break through with ease. Its only hope is to get a Counter off on a +1 nonHaxorus lacking a Z-mMove.

**Substitute Users**: Due to Pyukumuku's inability to deal direct damage, Substitute users can come in for free on anything but Toxic, and proceed to try and break through Pyukumuku or stall it out. Suicune and Kyurem are especially effective at this because of Pressure.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users completely ignore anything Pyukumuku can do, and take advantage of it for free turns. Crobat can Defog, Krookodile can set Rocks, and Gliscor couldan do both. Switch immediately when facing one of these Pokemon.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
literally gonna check this so i can use :fukyu: on your post again
this is relevant

the main non-grammar point I have to say is that you used "it" a lot to refer to pyukumuku and i changed a couple of these instances back to pyukumuku.
this is 100% fine in gp. in fact, it's appreciated. an analysis does use said pokemon's name multiple times but using it as a substitute removes some of that repetitive nature. most of the changed instances here would have been better as it. additionally, the point i made on ou koko about the formatting still stands, but here it's even more prominent so due to clarity it'll be a lot easier to format my own check as separate. if you want me to go through this, message me on discord martha#8795 but from what i'm reading, most of your other changes are solid.

GP 1/2:fukyu:
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Pyukumuku uses its good defensive stats, mono Water typing, and great ability in Unaware to become an effective wall to dangerous set up setup sweepers in UU such as Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria. It offers a different niche from the often more reliable Quagsire by having access to useful options such as Soak and Block. It also has a significant advantage in special bulk over Quagsire. Unfortunately, it Pyukumuku struggles to become a mainstay in the UU metagame for a couple of reasons. It can only used on stall teams, being way too passive to hold its weight on any other archetype. It lacks any means of damage other Toxic or Counter. because it is far too passive for any other archetype, lacking any form of damage outside of Toxic and Counter. It also faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground-Type Ground typing that allows it to block Volt Switch, as well as Switch and access to STAB attacks it can use to ward away off frail attackers. Access to Scald is especially important, threatening physical stallbreakers from directly switching in. Quagsire can also provide stall teams with a win condition in Curse, something greatly appreciated that Pyukumuku has no chance at doing. Taunt completely shuts down Pyukumuku, with Crobat and Gliscor being common users that could use it's free turns to remove hazards or recover health. Finally, Pyukumuku can fail to take hits well from certain stallbreakers if it hasn't already used Soak on them, such as Special Infernape and Heracross and special Infernape.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic is the only proactive method Pyukumuku has for dealing damage, (RC) and as such is mandatory on any set, hitting some sweepers that might beat it like Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Togekiss. Soak is crucial for Pyukumuku, providing two major benefits. First, it allows it to remove a Steel / Poison typing from opposing Pokemon letting it Toxic them. It can hit targets like Cobalion, Tentacruel, and Mega Aggron. Secondly, it removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise have trouble checking, like Choice Band Terrakion and Latias. It removes a foe's Steel or Poison typing, allowing Pyukumuku to wear down Pokemon such as Tentacruel, Cobalion, and Mega Aggron. Soak also removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise struggle to beat, such as Latias and Choice Band Terrakion. Recover allows it to stay healthy and continuously check the set-up setup sweepers it needs to. Block is used to trap opposing walls or other Pokemon that can't break Pyukumuku, and it can proceed to Toxic stall them to death. Counter gives it Pyukumuku an option to be less passive versus U-turn users like Scizor and strong Choice Band users that can potentially break through Recover spam. It can also nail KOs on set up setup sweepers Pyukumuku can't beat normally such as +1 Haxorus.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs maximize Pyukumuku's bulk provide maximum bulk on both physical and special hits. Most of the boosting sweepers Pyukumuku is asked to handles are physical, so 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature helps help it tank their hits. Leftovers gives Pyukumuku passive recovery to keep it healthy enough to take more strong attacks. Unaware allows it to ignore stat boosts from setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Scizor, Cobalion, and Terrakion, which is much more useful than doing a varying amount of damage with Innards Out. You can use Unaware to check threatening set up sweepers like SD Scizor, Terrakion, and Cobalion.

Usage Tips
========

Pyukumuku's HP should be conserved so that it is healthy enough to check the dangerous sweepers it needs to stop, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Double Dance Cobalion. Other members of the defensive teams Pyukumuku finds usage on are better equipped to take weaker hits and absorb chip damage. For example, versus a Choice Band Scizor, you would not want Pyukumuku to take its strong U-turns, (RC) because this might weaken it to the point where it doesn't effectively check set up setup sweepers like Crawdaunt or and Mega Altaria. Soak should be used as quickly as possible against strong wallbreakers so their STAB moves stop doing bonus damage to Pyukumuku and it can more easily Toxic stall them. If there are crucial targets to trap, revealing Block early is often not a good idea, as you can catch your opponent off guard by using it later in the match.

Team Options
========

Pyukumuku fits best on stall teams, (RC) and as such should be paired with other defensive Pokemon. Poison Types Poison-types such as Tentacruel, Alolan Muk, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku, a huge benefit. Tentacruel and Nihilego can also set Toxic Spikes, which will aid Pyukumuku in outlasting the opposing sweepers. Mega Steelix is one of Pyukumuku's favorite partners. Mega Steelix provides the Electric-immunity Electric immunity that Pyukumuku doesn't, and Pyukumuku in return can handle strong Fighting-(AH), Fire-(AH), and Ground-types that pressure Steelix like Infernape, Krookodile, and Cobalion Cobalion, Infernape, and Krookodile. Other Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor are also great partners. Alomomola can allow Pyukumuku to pivot in more easily with Wish, (RC) and can remove items from wallbreakers with Knock Off. Blissey can tank most of the Electric and Grass types Electric- and Grass-type moves that Pyukumuku struggles with, as well as other special boosters strong enough to break through Pyukumuku unboosted, such as Choice Specs users like Primarina, Chandelure, and Hydreigon. Due to Grass-types being incredibly present in the metagame, Pyukumuku appreciates partners on defensive teams that can handle them. Moltres, Scizor, Togekiss, and Vileplume would all be good options to look for. Clerics are almost mandatory when using Pyukumuku, Toxic prevents it from doing it's its job of checking dangerous sweepers. Common partners like Blissey, Sylveon, and Togekiss are all viable options with other benefits for Pyukumuku as well. Bulky Stealth Rock setters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Nihilego, and Mega Aggron all help chip sweepers that Pyukumuku walls, especially Stealth Rock-(AH)weak ones like Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyukumuku has a depressingly barren movepool, and most of these options should not be run over the standard set. Protect allows it to scout against Choice item users and then switch accordingly. It also lets you Pyukumuku stall for Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage, but it makes you it even more passive without Counter or Block. Gastro Acid lets Pyukumuku Toxic stall Gliscor effectively, and it also removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, Haxorus, and Reuniclus that make them so effective. However, it's often too situational to use a moveslot on. A PP stalling set with Spite instead of Soak eases the matchup against other stall teams, (RC) but makes virtually every other matchup more difficult.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to use Volt Switch or try to and hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before killing KOing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then Volt Switch out. Giving opponents foes free momentum with Volt Switch can be very harmful for stall teams, which are forced play reactively by nature.

**Grass-types**: Many of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier are Grass-types, with Breloom and Serperior being the two main threats. Both can break it with their strong STABs, Serperior even gets to boost for free so your Pyukumuku's teammates will have to handle it at +2 or +4. It also can get set up free Substitutes. Other offensive Grasses Grass-types like Celebi, Tsareena, and Mega Sceptile will have no issue taking Pyukumuku down either.

**Haxorus**: Haxorus has Mold Breaker, which allows it to freely boost its Attack and ignore Unaware. Pyukumuku's bulk is not enough to handle it at +2 or even +1, and it will break through with ease. Its only hope is to get a Counter off on a +1 non Z-move non-Z-Move.

**Substitute Users**: Due to Pyukumuku's inability to deal direct damage, Substitute users can come in for free on anything but Toxic, (RC) and proceed to try and break through Pyukumuku or stall it out. Suicune and Kyurem are especially effective at this because of their access to Pressure.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users completely ignore anything Pyukumuku can do, (RC) and take advantage of it for free turns. Crobat can Defog, Krookodile can set Rocks up Stealth Rock, and Gliscor could can do both. Switch immediately when facing one of these Pokemon.

Sage

this is relevant

this is 100% fine in gp. in fact, it's appreciated. an analysis does use said pokemon's name multiple times but using it as a substitute removes some of that repetitive nature. most of the changed instances here would have been better as it. additionally, the point i made on ou koko about the formatting still stands, but here it's even more prominent so due to clarity it'll be a lot easier to format my own check as separate. if you want me to go through this, message me on discord martha#8795 but from what i'm reading, most of your other changes are solid.

GP 1/2:fukyu:
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Pyukumuku uses its good defensive stats, mono Water typing, and great ability in Unaware to become an effective wall to dangerous set up setup sweepers in UU such as Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria. It offers a different niche from the often more reliable Quagsire by having access to useful options such as Soak and Block. It also has a significant advantage in special bulk over Quagsire. Unfortunately, it Pyukumuku struggles to become a mainstay in the UU metagame for a couple of reasons. It can only used on stall teams, being way too passive to hold its weight on any other archetype. It lacks any means of damage other Toxic or Counter. because it is far too passive for any other archetype, lacking any form of damage outside of Toxic and Counter. It also faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground-Type Ground typing that allows it to block Volt Switch, as well as Switch and access to STAB attacks it can use to ward away off frail attackers. Access to Scald is especially important, threatening physical stallbreakers from directly switching in. Quagsire can also provide stall teams with a win condition in Curse, something greatly appreciated that Pyukumuku has no chance at doing. Taunt completely shuts down Pyukumuku, with Crobat and Gliscor being common users that could use it's free turns to remove hazards or recover health. Finally, Pyukumuku can fail to take hits well from certain stallbreakers if it hasn't already used Soak on them, such as Special Infernape and Heracross and special Infernape.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic is the only proactive method Pyukumuku has for dealing damage, (RC) and as such is mandatory on any set, hitting some sweepers that might beat it like Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Togekiss. Soak is crucial for Pyukumuku, providing two major benefits. First, it allows it to remove a Steel / Poison typing from opposing Pokemon letting it Toxic them. It can hit targets like Cobalion, Tentacruel, and Mega Aggron. Secondly, it removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise have trouble checking, like Choice Band Terrakion and Latias. It removes a foe's Steel or Poison typing, allowing Pyukumuku to wear down Pokemon such as Tentacruel, Cobalion, and Mega Aggron. Soak also removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise struggle to beat, such as Latias and Choice Band Terrakion. Recover allows it to stay healthy and continuously check the set-up setup sweepers it needs to. Block is used to trap opposing walls or other Pokemon that can't break Pyukumuku, and it can proceed to Toxic stall them to death. Counter gives it Pyukumuku an option to be less passive versus U-turn users like Scizor and strong Choice Band users that can potentially break through Recover spam. It can also nail KOs on set up setup sweepers Pyukumuku can't beat normally such as +1 Haxorus.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs maximize Pyukumuku's bulk provide maximum bulk on both physical and special hits. Most of the boosting sweepers Pyukumuku is asked to handles are physical, so 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature helps help it tank their hits. Leftovers gives Pyukumuku passive recovery to keep it healthy enough to take more strong attacks. Unaware allows it to ignore stat boosts from setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Scizor, Cobalion, and Terrakion, which is much more useful than doing a varying amount of damage with Innards Out. You can use Unaware to check threatening set up sweepers like SD Scizor, Terrakion, and Cobalion.

Usage Tips
========

Pyukumuku's HP should be conserved so that it is healthy enough to check the dangerous sweepers it needs to stop, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Double Dance Cobalion. Other members of the defensive teams Pyukumuku finds usage on are better equipped to take weaker hits and absorb chip damage. For example, versus a Choice Band Scizor, you would not want Pyukumuku to take its strong U-turns, (RC) because this might weaken it to the point where it doesn't effectively check set up setup sweepers like Crawdaunt or and Mega Altaria. Soak should be used as quickly as possible against strong wallbreakers so their STAB moves stop doing bonus damage to Pyukumuku and it can more easily Toxic stall them. If there are crucial targets to trap, revealing Block early is often not a good idea, as you can catch your opponent off guard by using it later in the match.

Team Options
========

Pyukumuku fits best on stall teams, (RC) and as such should be paired with other defensive Pokemon. Poison Types Poison-types such as Tentacruel, Alolan Muk, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku, a huge benefit. Tentacruel and Nihilego can also set Toxic Spikes, which will aid Pyukumuku in outlasting the opposing sweepers. Mega Steelix is one of Pyukumuku's favorite partners. Mega Steelix provides the Electric-immunity Electric immunity that Pyukumuku doesn't, and Pyukumuku in return can handle strong Fighting-(AH), Fire-(AH), and Ground-types that pressure Steelix like Infernape, Krookodile, and Cobalion Cobalion, Infernape, and Krookodile. Other Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor are also great partners. Alomomola can allow Pyukumuku to pivot in more easily with Wish, (RC) and can remove items from wallbreakers with Knock Off. Blissey can tank most of the Electric and Grass types Electric- and Grass-type moves that Pyukumuku struggles with, as well as other special boosters strong enough to break through Pyukumuku unboosted, such as Choice Specs users like Primarina, Chandelure, and Hydreigon. Due to Grass-types being incredibly present in the metagame, Pyukumuku appreciates partners on defensive teams that can handle them. Moltres, Scizor, Togekiss, and Vileplume would all be good options to look for. Clerics are almost mandatory when using Pyukumuku, Toxic prevents it from doing it's its job of checking dangerous sweepers. Common partners like Blissey, Sylveon, and Togekiss are all viable options with other benefits for Pyukumuku as well. Bulky Stealth Rock setters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Nihilego, and Mega Aggron all help chip sweepers that Pyukumuku walls, especially Stealth Rock-(AH)weak ones like Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyukumuku has a depressingly barren movepool, and most of these options should not be run over the standard set. Protect allows it to scout against Choice item users and then switch accordingly. It also lets you Pyukumuku stall for Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage, but it makes you it even more passive without Counter or Block. Gastro Acid lets Pyukumuku Toxic stall Gliscor effectively, and it also removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, Haxorus, and Reuniclus that make them so effective. However, it's often too situational to use a moveslot on. A PP stalling set with Spite instead of Soak eases the matchup against other stall teams, (RC) but makes virtually every other matchup more difficult.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to use Volt Switch or try to and hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before killing KOing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then Volt Switch out. Giving opponents foes free momentum with Volt Switch can be very harmful for stall teams, which are forced play reactively by nature.

**Grass-types**: Many of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier are Grass-types, with Breloom and Serperior being the two main threats. Both can break it with their strong STABs, Serperior even gets to boost for free so your Pyukumuku's teammates will have to handle it at +2 or +4. It also can get set up free Substitutes. Other offensive Grasses Grass-types like Celebi, Tsareena, and Mega Sceptile will have no issue taking Pyukumuku down either.

**Haxorus**: Haxorus has Mold Breaker, which allows it to freely boost its Attack and ignore Unaware. Pyukumuku's bulk is not enough to handle it at +2 or even +1, and it will break through with ease. Its only hope is to get a Counter off on a +1 non Z-move non-Z-Move.

**Substitute Users**: Due to Pyukumuku's inability to deal direct damage, Substitute users can come in for free on anything but Toxic, (RC) and proceed to try and break through Pyukumuku or stall it out. Suicune and Kyurem are especially effective at this because of their access to Pressure.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users completely ignore anything Pyukumuku can do, (RC) and take advantage of it for free turns. Crobat can Defog, Krookodile can set Rocks up Stealth Rock, and Gliscor could can do both. Switch immediately when facing one of these Pokemon.

did :fukyu:

That's fair, I find that I tend to err on the side of clarity in terms of choosing to use the Pokemon's name over being overly repetitive. My thinking has been that "it" is an imperceptible character that can be interpreted differently by the author versus the reader, and so if there is any doubt, it's better to be clear as to who "it" is referring to. That said, I suppose because an analysis is about a specific Pokemon, you can get away with using "it" more because each paragraph of writing is grounded in the fact that it's talking about an overarching Pokemon. I'll do my best to keep that impulse in check.

I asked you a q regarding the formatting in the other post so I won't repeat myself here.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Pyukumuku uses its good defensive stats, mono Water typing, and great ability in Unaware to become an effective wall to dangerous setup sweepers in UU such as Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria. It offers a different niche from the often more reliable Quagsire by having access to useful options such as Soak and Block. It also has a significant advantage in special bulk over Quagsire. Unfortunately, Pyukumuku struggles to become a mainstay in the UU metagame for a couple of reasons. It can only used on stall because it is far too passive for any other archetype, lacking any form of damage outside of Toxic and Counter. It also faces major competition from Quagsire, which has a useful secondary Ground typing that allows it to block Volt Switch and access to STAB attacks it can use to ward off frail attackers. Access Quagsire's access to Scald is especially important, threatening physical stallbreakers from directly switching in. Quagsire can also provide stall teams with a win condition in Curse, something greatly appreciated that Pyukumuku has no chance at doing. Taunt completely shuts down Pyukumuku, with Crobat and Gliscor being common users that could use free turns to remove entry hazards or recover health. Finally, Pyukumuku can fail to take hits well from certain stallbreakers if it hasn't already used Soak on them, such as Heracross and special Infernape.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic is the only proactive method Pyukumuku has for dealing damage and as such is mandatory on any set, hitting some sweepers that might beat it like Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Togekiss. Soak is crucial for Pyukumuku, providing two major benefits. It removes a foe's Steel or Poison typing, allowing Pyukumuku to wear down Pokemon such as Tentacruel, Cobalion, and Mega Aggron. Soak also removes STAB from strong attackers that Pyukumuku would otherwise struggle to beat, such as Latias and Choice Band Terrakion. Recover allows it to stay healthy and continuously check the setup sweepers it needs to. Block is used to trap opposing walls or other Pokemon that can't break Pyukumuku, and it can proceed to Toxic stall them. Counter gives Pyukumuku an option to be less passive versus U-turn users like Scizor and strong Choice Band users that can potentially break through its Recover spam. It can also nail KOs on setup sweepers Pyukumuku can't beat normally such as +1 Haxorus.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs maximize Pyukumuku's bulk. Most of the boosting sweepers Pyukumuku handles are physical, so 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature help it tank their hits. Leftovers gives Pyukumuku passive recovery to keep it healthy enough to take more strong attacks. Unaware allows it to ignore stat boosts from setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Scizor, Cobalion, and Terrakion, which is much more useful than doing a varying amount of damage with Innards Out.

Usage Tips
========

Pyukumuku's HP should be conserved so that it is healthy enough to check the dangerous sweepers it needs to stop, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Double Dance Cobalion. (Stall teams don't really care whether cobalion has rock polish or not; consider just "Swords Dance"?) Other members of the defensive teams Pyukumuku finds usage on are better equipped to take weaker hits and absorb chip damage. For example, versus a Choice Band Scizor, you would not want Pyukumuku to take its strong U-turns because this might weaken it to the point where it doesn't effectively check setup sweepers like Crawdaunt and Mega Altaria. Soak should be used as quickly as possible against strong wallbreakers so their STAB moves stop doing bonus damage to Pyukumuku and it can more easily Toxic stall them. If there are crucial targets to trap, revealing Block early is often not a good idea, as you can catch your opponent off guard by using it later in the match.

Team Options
========

Pyukumuku fits best on stall teams and as such should be paired with other defensive Pokemon. Poison-types such as Tentacruel, Alolan Muk, Nihilego, and Vileplume that fit on defensive teams can remove Toxic Spikes for Pyukumuku, (RC) a huge benefit. (fluff+the way it is now it describes pyuku as a huge benefit) Tentacruel and Nihilego can also set Toxic Spikes, which will aid Pyukumuku in outlasting opposing sweepers. Mega Steelix provides the Electric immunity that Pyukumuku doesn't, and Pyukumuku in return can handle strong Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-types that pressure Steelix like Cobalion, Infernape, and Krookodile. Other Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor are also great partners. Alomomola can allow Pyukumuku to pivot in more easily with Wish and can remove items from wallbreakers with Knock Off. Blissey can tank most of the Electric- and Grass-type moves that Pyukumuku struggles with, as well as other special boosters attackers strong enough to break through Pyukumuku unboosted, such as Choice Specs users like Primarina, Chandelure, and Hydreigon. Due to Grass-types being incredibly present prevalent in the metagame, Pyukumuku appreciates partners on defensive teams that can handle them. Moltres, Scizor, Togekiss, and Vileplume would all be good options to look for. Clerics are almost mandatory when using Pyukumuku, as Toxic poison prevents it from doing its job of checking dangerous sweepers. Common partners like Blissey, Sylveon, and Togekiss are all viable options with other benefits for Pyukumuku as well. Bulky Stealth Rock setters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Nihilego, and Mega Aggron all help chip sweepers that Pyukumuku walls, especially Stealth Rock-weak ones like Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Pyukumuku has a depressingly barren movepool, and most of these options should not be run over the standard set. Protect allows it to scout against Choice item users and then switch accordingly. It also lets Pyukumuku stall for Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage, but it makes it even more passive without Counter or Block. Gastro Acid lets Pyukumuku Toxic stall Gliscor effectively, and it also removes abilities from stallbreakers such as Heracross, Togekiss, Haxorus, and Reuniclus that make them so effective. However, it's often too situational to use a moveslot on. A PP stalling set with Spite instead of Soak eases the matchup against other stall teams but makes virtually every other matchup more difficult.

Checks and Counters
===================
(linebreak)
**Electric-types**: Mega Manectric gets free chances to use Volt Switch or try to hit Pyukumuku's other team members with coverage, while Raikou can even set up a Calm Mind before KOing Pyukumuku. Both Rotom-C and Rotom-H can also come in to Defog and then Volt Switch pivot out with Volt Switch. Giving foes free momentum with Volt Switch can be very harmful for stall teams, which are forced play reactively by nature.

**Grass-types**: Many of the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier are Grass-types, with Serperior being the main threat. Serperior even gets to boost for free so Pyukumuku's teammates will have to handle it at +2 or +4. (RP) It also can set up free Substitutes, (AC) and it can also use Substitute to avoid Toxic. Other offensive Grass-types like Celebi, Tsareena, and Mega Sceptile will have no issue taking Pyukumuku down either.

**Haxorus**: Haxorus has Mold Breaker, which allows it to freely boost its Attack and ignore Unaware. Pyukumuku's bulk is not enough to handle it at +2 or even +1, and it will break through with ease. Its only hope is to get a Counter off on a +1 non-Z-Move.

**Substitute Users**: Due to Pyukumuku's inability to deal direct damage, Substitute users can come in for free on anything but Toxic and proceed to try and break through Pyukumuku or stall it out. Suicune and Kyurem are especially effective at this because of their access to Pressure.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users completely ignore anything Pyukumuku can do and take advantage of it for free turns. Crobat can Defog, Krookodile can set up Stealth Rock, and Gliscor can do both. Switch immediately when facing one of these Pokemon.

2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)