Resource USUM OU ULTRA Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
the following voting slate was posed to the entire council, which led to our discussion and voting on the following changes:
(just answer with keep/remove for the first and then the appropriate rank for the remainder -- if you have any questions, lmk)
Keep S- or remove S-:

Rises (initially the lower rank of the two, besides Heatran, which is currently S- -- i.e: Tornadus-Therian is currently A, but being nominated to go A+ and we are voting on if it stays or goes up)
Heatran S, S-, or A+:
Clefable S- or A+:
Tornadus-Therian A+ or A)
Latios-Mega A or A-:
Alakazam-Mega A- or B+:
Reuniclus A- or B+:
Tangrowth A- or B+:
Heracross-Mega B or B-:
Manaphy B- or C+:
Pyukumuku C- or UR:

Drops (initially the higher rank of the two -- i.e: Greninja-Ash is currently A+, but being nominated to go A and we are voting on if it stays or goes down)
Kartana S- or A+ (default A+ if remove S-):
Greninja-Ash A+ or A:
Volcarona A or A-:
Hoopa-Unbound A- or B+:
Zapdos A- or B+:
Rotom-Wash B+ or B:
Venusaur-Mega B+ or B:
Keldeo B+ or B:
Garchomp B or B-:
Garchomp-Mega C or C-:
Staraptor C- or UR:
Sharpedo-Mega C- or UR:

Overall changes:

S- is removed
Heatran from S- to S
Kartana from S- to A+
We decided that the state of the metagame no longer mandates this middleground sub-rank and we removed it to have a more accurate depiction of the viability of top tier threats. Heatran will now be S alongside Landorus-Therian as it is a top tier threat and one of the best utility Pokemon in the game. Kartana will drop down to A+ as it has seen less usage from some sets and is not as easy to throw onto teams in the modern day. However, it is still phenomenal in the metagame, as shown by it still residing in the A+ sub-rank. We will also have Clefable to S as a discussion point as many people feel that it may be worth rising, even with S- out of the equation (it would likely reside in S- if it existed).

Tornadus-T from A to A+
Greninja A to A+ (not initially on slate, but discussed)
Latios-Mega from A- to A
Alakazam-Mega from B+ to A-
Tangrowth from B+ to A-
Heracross-Mega from B- to B
Manaphy from C+ to B-
Pyukumuku from UR to C-
  • Tornadus-Therian has taken the metagame by storm as a top-notch Defog using Regenerator pivot with mixed attacking capabilities. Overall, standard structures have quickly taken advantage of and integrated it, making Tornadus-Therian a top-tier Pokemon and worthy of the A+ ranking. While there is a fine-line between A and A+ and we were not unanimous in this decision, we do feel the fact that both Z-Fly and Rocky Helmet have been seeing great usage and even cutting into Scarf Landorus-Therian usage is enough of a testament to at least justify this side of the argument, being for A+.
  • Greninja's Protean variants have been ridiculously threatening and increasing in popularity, to levels on par with the Ash variant. Both are among the most common and consistent offensive threats and belong in the A+ sub-rank.
  • Latios-Mega has rose from zero to hero and this is just a continuation of that. Amazing defensive utility combined with a unique, hard-to-counter offensive presence adds up to an A rank mega.
  • Tangrowth has shot back up as a great check to Waters, Kartana, Tapu Koko, and Zygarde, fitting onto many balance and bulky-offensive teams.
  • Heracross-Mega threatens the entire metagame and does not require a ton of support while having bulk to soft check things like Zygarde, thus making it bump up a little.
  • With the increase in the popularity of Screens HO, more people have noticed Manaphy and even applied it on to some balance and bulky-offensive teams, making a top threat of past generations -- even an Uber of generation 5 -- find itself back in the realm of relevance, even if it is somewhere in the depths of the outskirts, merely in B-.
  • Pyukumuku is a viable Unaware Pokemon on stall and it is ranked to reflect this.

Magearna from A+ to A (not initially on slate, but discussed)
Volcarona from A to A-
Hoopa-Unbound from A- to B+
Zapdos from A- to B+
Rotom-Wash from B+ to B
Venusaur-Mega from B+ to B
Keldeo from B+ to B
Garchomp from B to B-
Garchomp-Mega from C to C-
Staraptor from C- to UR
Sharpedo-Mega from C- to UR
  • Magearna has become much less common and threatening over the past few months. The SG CM Z-Fleur TBolt set still sees some use and AV is seen sporadically as well, but aside from that there is not much to be said. The versatile sweeping monster of the past has died down and AV does not fit onto as many teams due to the slower pace of the metagame, thus making a long-time S/A+ Pokemon in Magearna drop into the depths of A rank for the time being.
  • Hoopa-Unbound trended up for a while, but now it is back on the low and there really is not too much of it to be seen. Perhaps the need to lock into a move combined with poor speed and fragile nature overall just makes it too much to consider using consistently.
  • Zapdos has seen a slight fall from grace -- my post and Gmars's post a few pages back elaborate with more detail.
  • Rotom-Wash never caught on in SM, but it is finding a way to become even less relevant over time despite hardly being relevant to begin with, which is impressive.
  • Venusaur-Mega is always going to be solid overall, but there is not a ton of reason to use it and it does not fit onto a ton of teams, so a slight drop fits.
  • Keldeo sucks and it is reaching Blacephalon levels of bad.
  • Garchomp is just never really used anymore as the RH set never caught on this generation and sporadic Z sets simply are not enough to merit maintaining or rising it when it is as mediocre overall as it happens to be.
  • Garchomp-Mega never was particularly relevant competitively, but here it is especially falling off as it is slower and not many teams want to bother supporting it and building around it, which is essentially what it takes.
  • Sharpedo-Mega is literally not even a used Pokemon.

Discussion points:
  • Clefable from A+ to S
  • Latios-Mega from A to A+
  • Alakazam-Mega from A- to A
  • Gastrodon from B+ to B
Leo GMars TPP -- if one of you could edit the OP sometime in the near future, that would be great. I gotta goto sleep -> work, so ye mb. If not I can just do it later tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Felixx

I'm back.
  • Gastrodon from B+ to B : Disagree
This is going to be a hard disagree from me, Gastrodon is still a great glue Pokemon that is able to compress multiple defensive roles in one slot, such as checking both Ash and Protean Greninja, and checking Protean Gren is definitely something to boast about considering how annoying it can be for a lot of slower, bulkier Balance builds that don't have a 100% answer. Sure, Ferrothorn and Toxapex are some of most splashable checks to Protean Gren, but both can still get overwhelmed by surprise coverage moves/Z-moves. Celesteela is probably going to be the best blanket check to all types of Protean sets, but with a resurgence of Tangrowth, it will stuggle to keep itself healthy throughout a match. Another good point is how it can take on all Heatran sets besides Bloom Doom, which, while is a good set, is still somewhat overshadowed by the consistency and moveslot compression of Inferno Overdrive, since you have to dedicate a whole moveslot for Solar Beam, which could instead have a useful status move such as Toxic or Will-o-Wisp, or maybe even Lava Plume as an accurate Fire-type move. Also, checking M-Latios is incredibly useful, as Clefable isn't a good answer with Psychic having a 20% chance to 2HKO, and HP Fire variants can surprise Ferrothorn and M-Scizors that decide to switch-in. Draco and Ice Beam are both far from mandatory, so it leaves HP Fire as the most consistent and useful third attacking move for M-Latios. Last, but not the least, checking M-Alakazam is absolutely huge for many different types of teams, even Modest variants can't 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage, and it is very, very, unlikely that you have the space to run Energy Ball as a way to bypass it. Overall, Gastrodon can keep a lot of different Pokemon in check all in one teamslot, and that's why it shouldn't drop, so keep it in B+.

Last edited:
1531120568770.png

Tapu Koko A+ -> A.
Now here me out, koko is good, but not great, everything just hates it rn. As a offensive mon, more or less everything stops it, it can't use hp ice or dazzle on zygarde bc weakness policy, It can't use shuca or Meta Latis wall it, Bulu is back and can even use it as set up fodder, and gastro is big rn, everything seems to hate koko right now, and with at least one ground on every team due to how good gliscor, lando and zygarde are, it can't exactly just spam volt out of these bad MUs. The only real thing it has going for it is it's screens HO build. Besides, it's one defining characteristic, it's speed has now been demolished bc of zam. I just don't really see koko compareable with the rest of A+ atm.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
View attachment 126501
Tapu Koko A+ -> A.
Now here me out, koko is good, but not great, everything just hates it rn. As a offensive mon, more or less everything stops it, it can't use hp ice or dazzle on zygarde bc weakness policy, It can't use shuca or Meta Latis wall it, Bulu is back and can even use it as set up fodder, and gastro is big rn, everything seems to hate koko right now, and with at least one ground on every team due to how good gliscor, lando and zygarde are, it can't exactly just spam volt out of these bad MUs. The only real thing it has going for it is it's screens HO build. Besides, it's one defining characteristic, it's speed has now been demolished bc of zam. I just don't really see koko compareable with the rest of A+ atm.
Honestly then its just up to the teambuilder to patch up Koko’s weaknesses. It has incredible speed and utility, and if your team doesnt have ground checks you can always Z-bloom with it. This mon has basically the highest base unboosted unmega speed tier, amazing utility in defog/roost/CM/physical attacking/screens/shuca baiting/z move coverage, I cant imagine a world with it not being in A+ minimum. This isnt even bringing up its terrain, which allows it to be a fearsome wallbreaker and makes sleep tactics virtually useless, which is super underrated. Stay A+

Honestly then its just up to the teambuilder to patch up Koko’s weaknesses. It has incredible speed and utility, and if your team doesnt have ground checks you can always Z-bloom with it. This mon has basically the highest base unboosted unmega speed tier, amazing utility in defog/roost/CM/physical attacking/screens/shuca baiting/z move coverage, I cant imagine a world with it not being in A+ minimum. This isnt even bringing up its terrain, which allows it to be a fearsome wallbreaker and makes sleep tactics virtually useless, which is super underrated. Stay A+
You can use this argument for more or less anything, my blace gets walled by ttar, but that's ok because I have a Fighting type on my team, Blace for A+, as I mentioned, koko just isn't as good as it once was, every team can check it now due to not only how common it's checks are, it's how good they are as well, Zygarde is amazing, and with WP zygarde being the best set (imo) koko can't really even do shit to that, If you elect to run Shuca, Z move, Physical, Roost or defog, that means you are sacking the move in your last slot, which is dazzle, so you get walled by the Mlatis, it also doesn't help that Synth bulu is big rn and uses koko just for set up fodder, it's a bad offensive mon in the meta. All it has rn is speed and Screens, Speed is worthess when everything walls you and Mkazam outspeeds you anyways so it's defining feat isn't even worthwile atm. It does have screens but like, I honestly just don't think it should be A+ just bc of it's screens HO set. That being said, it is still good, but just because something is threatning doesn't mean it should be A+ alongside mons like Zygarde and kartana, we can see that with lele and volc, two very good mons who were in A+ but got kicked out bc the meta was against them, I don't see how koko is any different to lele atm, Move it down.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
you can’t compare tapu koko to blace because blace is a wallbreaker so its supposed to actually break walls whereas tapu koko is a pivot and doesn’t care if tangrowths usage is 100% or 0, it will get the job done either way as its been doing consistently since the beginning of sm regardless of any meta trend. gastro, a mon you brought up initially against koko, is not only dropping in usage but also gets chipped at and taken advantage of very easily thanks to u-turn so it’s far from a counter. you can’t bring up stuff like mega latis or bulky grasses or even gastro walling it as points in favor of it dropping when it literally doesn’t care at all as long as it can u-turn out and keep momentum while retaining defensive utility thanks to its typing + roost. i really don’t see a reason for it to drop atm

Alakazam-Mega from A- to A: Agree

Mega Alakazam is in a fantastic position right now. Trace lets it take advantage of so many different Pokemon and playstyles in general. Just like the Mega Latis, it's a great switchin to the newest S rank in Heatran and Mega Latios lacking Draco Meteor as Mega Alakazam Trace's Flash Fire and Levitate, respectively. It's also good against the bulky Regenerator cores that have become popular as of late such as Tornadus-T + Tangrowth/Amoonguss, and with Regenerator + Recover, something as conceptually frail as Mega Alakazam can become surprisingly difficult for these fat teams to take down at times. While weather teams have fallen off a bit, it's still great at exploiting them regardless since it can take Swift Swim and Sand Rush.

I think Mega Alakazam has some other unexplored techs that could help out its viability. Timid Hidden Power Ice could be a nice way of surprising Adamant DD Zygarde while Knock Off and/or Psyshock sounds great at bypassing Chansey and AV Magearna, while OHKOing AV Amoonguss to avoid taking any unnecessary damage.

Last edited:
4D8BF9B3-5BE8-4FFD-9DDF-4979DF987E67.png
Mega Latios from A to A+: Agree.
Mega Latios is arguably the best mega in the tier atm, and its ranking should show it. It’s one of the only offensive Heatran switchins, other than Zygarde and Swords Dance Gliscor. It can also check rising threats such as SD Bulu and SD Gliscor, which is extremely helpful for the balanced teams it finds itself on. On top of that, it is extremley difficult to switch into. Clefable isn’t a great switchin due to the fact it can be 2HKOed by Psychic with chip or high rolls. Its last slot is incredibly customizable. Ice Beam can be used for SD Gliscor, Draco Meteor if you want to maximize Latios wallbreaking potential, HP Fire if you need a lure, or even Defog. It’s overall an amazing glue for balance due to its ability to check threats to balance like Gliscor and Heatran while also being a great wallbreaker.
D7D0E4F1-603D-4E7B-9F6C-3775B0C39121.png
Clefable from A+ to S: Agree.
Clefable is honestly one of the best Pokémon in the tier atm and its ranking should reflect this. For one, it is arguably the best and most splashable Stealth Rock user in the tier. Wish is also great on many balance due to its ability to provide recovery for mons like Scarf Lando, Heatran, and Ferrothorn. Clefable is a key part in Balance’s success in the metagame atm, and it’s ranking should reflect this.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
My thoughts on current discussion points

Clefable from A+ to S Disagree
Sure, its a great rocker and is awesome on balance. However, here are some trends that are combatting clefable's rise
1. Tran being queen to the lando king and being on half of OU teams
2. Zygardes packing steel coverage on ~1/2 their sets
3. Taunt becoming more and more common amongst pokemon (Tornadus, Zam, Prot ninja, Gliscor etc)
4. Changing towards more offensive natures/sets on many common mons (Zam, Medicham, Bulu, Mamo, etc)
This is not to discredit clefable at what it does, but rather recognize that teams have adjusted to reduce its effectiveness to a point near or at the top of A+, rather than at the level of the S ranked behemoths Lando-T and Heatran (AKA its still fucking good just not S level lol).

Latios-Mega from A to A+ No opinion
It doesn't seem out of place in either tier. I'd rather push for Latias to go up to A first before A+ for Latios, but don't care either way neither is misrepresentative of Latios-M's current spot in our meta.

Alakazam-Mega from A- to A Agree
Man, I've been putting this monster so many of my teams recently and it just does so much work. Its expansive movepool, blistering speed and ability to beat heatran, 6-0 weather teams, lock magnezone and boost for free, and wallbreak like a bitch on psyspam make me inclined to call it the best Mega in our current meta, at least as good as M-Scizor and M-Medi. The only reason I'm not countering this nomination and saying it should go to A+ is because scarf lando is currently the most used and probably best lando set, and its a bitch for Zam to deal with on either its timid or modest natured form. So for that reason I'll agree with everyone else with M-Latios as the best current mega. Every other common mon, bar like kartana and zygarde (and the occasional Cele or Magearna teams) have such a hard time dealing with this mon.

Gastrodon from B+ to B Disagree
Sure, the metagame has caught up to it. That being said, the fact that Zapdos and Magearna went down a rank the fact that there was even a slate for Ash-Gren to go down should be a testament to how influential gastro has been in the meta. I cannot imagine a tier list with Gastro at B while its fellow special walls Pex, Magearna, Bulu, and Cele are all an entire rank+ higher when it often ends up putting more work in a game than these mons. It might be the worst of those bunch, but THAT much worse? Come on.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I’ll start off by saying thank god for this update! I was getting tired of seeing the same arguments brought up over and over again as we meaninglessly threw recycled ideas out there with no end in sight. That being said I’m happy with the new blood as well, especially my boy Eternam who has been a very influential builder the past few months, especially when it comes to fat balance. He’s earned this, and I’m happy to see him being rewarded. Pleasantries aside the new discussion slate is calling my name, and I just have to put my opinions out there.

Soo…this mon is in a really odd spot. I get the feeling it’s on its way out of the meta, as far as being a blanket check thrown on an insane number of teams. Grass types are on the rise, and Gastro, Clef, Torn teams have become so standard that most competent teams are well equipped to take it on. That being said Gastro can still be very effective, this WCOP replay is a great example of that:

Empo uses the presence of Gastrodon on his team masterfully. Using it to check Tapu Koko, while also using it to deter water type moves from his opponent using Rain. I would say from a Gastrodon perspective the replay is good through turn 56 where a Curse Scizor was begins. That said not all games play out like this one where a player is almost afraid of losing momentum vs Gastrodon. This replay of FV vs FLCL shows a common trend of things Gastrodon is supposed to check fighting back:

Be it a Bloom Doom Tran like this replay or be it something like Magearna or Reuniclus carrying Energy Ball to try and catch it by surprise. Moving forward Gastrodon is on thin ice. Helping check threats like Koko, Ash Greninja, and M-Latios keep it B+ for the time being in my eyes. However, the way things are going I could see this topic being reconsidered in a few months as things change. Honestly as long as Clef + Torn teams still manage to fit Gastro on a consistent basis, and Clef + Torn + Tang + different Ground doesn’t push it out I would have a hard time dropping it. A few weeks ago I said this thing has peaked as people tried to nom it for A-. Still think I was right, and I guess dropping Gastrodon comes down to how progressive you want to be. Either drop it now, or wait 2 months for when I feel it will have fallen out of the meta.

I believe M-Latios is currently the best mega in this balance infested metagame we find ourselves in. Solid bulk, Mamoswine coverage possibilities, the ability to run HP Fire if its team needs it, a strong Psychic, the less common nuke in Draco Meteor, solid recovery, and a good speed tier sets this thing up for success. It really has all the tools to be great, the only things that can potentially get in this things way is the growing use of Pursuit users and its sister fighting it for a slot by providing more bulk to a team. I would think this decision comes down to whether or not the council is confident in M-Latios standing alone as the quote un quote best mega as it sits in A+ while mons like M-Medi, M-Scizor, and potentially M-Zam sit in A. I personally believe it’s ready to ascend the group due to its versatility. When fat balance loses its vice grip on the meta we can talk, but for now I’m confident in this nomination.

Uggh I hated talking about this things potential rise enough when S- existed, but now a hard discussion where the only options are A+ and S ensues. Just a recap of the things it does; best rocker, best Wish passer, solid CM user, extremely hard to kill once it gets going – way too many teams just lose to this blob. I was all aboard the S- train for this mon, but I’m not entirely convinced it belongs in S. It does so much so well, but I still find myself unconvinced. With mons like Hetran, Gliscor, and Iron Tail Zygarde being so prevalent I have troubles with this mon rising. I know 3 checks shouldn’t be enough to keep a mon from jumping to S. It’s the fact I feel most teams are naturally fitting a couple checks that either deny it rocks, or pressure it enough that it can’t properly CM up/heal others. That being said teams only carry that many checks since Clefairy is glue for so many balance builds. I feel this boils down to how meta defining is Clef balance? If you feel it's overwhelming then raise it, but if you feel it hasn't hit that super elite level where balance without Clef is just crippling yourself I wouldn't give it the prestigious S nom. This is the nomination I probably have the least conviction on, but I would keep it A+.

I love this Pokemon, and I’m all for it rising up to A. Recover Zam on balance has opened up a new door for this thing. For a bulk of the generation people kept it tied to Lele thinking it would help, but we’ve started to see it can do fine on its own. Has been used a lot in WCOP, and continues to excel even as it becomes a common choice. Honestly the ability to serve as a switch in vs kings like Heatran and M-Lati while providing an amazing speed tier for a balance team is really hard to overlook. Also if you’re playing on the ladder, and even tours to a certain degree Rain is still fairly common, so tracing Swift Swim to help check mons like Pert and Kingdra is a huge boon. Overall I feel M-Zam up to A is an easy call, and honestly can’t think of any reason for it to not rise besides Pursuit users potentially, who still need to dodge a Focus Blast or in Weavile’s case get the 50/50 right on whether to Shard or Suit (Unless you’re running something like Muk, then just remove Zam and go on with your life running Muk). I could honestly talk about this mon all day, but I’ll draw this to a close to keep it from dragging.

Glad to see some progress in this thread, and look forward to seeing the 2 new people hopefully interact with the thread moving forward. As always I’ll say thanks for reading, and apologize if it got boring.

Mega Latios from A to A+: Disagree

I think the hype is a bit much at the moment with this one, and I don't think that it's so competitive as to be a rank higher than M-Scizor, M-Medicham, or M-Zam (I'm assuming it goes to A), all of whom are great mega picks in their own right.

I think M-Latios is similar to Gastrodon, who rocketed up to B+ a couple of months ago, only to become better-checked as the metagame has adapted to its presence. Like Gastrodon, M-Latios arose in part due to Heatran's and Clefable's continued dominance, and now has begun to deal with the ramifications of how the meta has adapted to it.

M-Latios has to deal with the consequences of effectively being able to run 3 moves. Ice Beam weakens its matchup against Gastrodon, M-Scizor, Celesteela, Mantine, Greninja, Weavile, and M-Alakazam. HP Fire leaves Gastrodon, Greninja, Mantine and even Celesteela relatively in the clear and also lets Tyranitar come in and spook Latios more easily. Draco Meteor is also a solid choice, but gives M-Scizor and Celesteela a better chance at checking it and quickly limits Latios's damage output as it will no longer be able to break through Wish Clefable, Gliscor, Torn-T, or other strong sweepers after one use. It also gives Lele and the other Tapus a chance to switch in, though none of them are extremely reliable against M-Latios and are checks at best. All of M-Latios' moves are only reasonably effective against Tangrowth and Gastrodon (who pair well with Celesteela), and on top of all this there's still Mantine, Chansey, and M-Sableye, who are far less common outside of stall but remain rock-solid checks to everything Latios can throw at them.

The fact that the very things that M-Latios is made to beat put a dent in its viability. Toxic/Protect is a super viable Heatran set that abuses Tapu Bulu's terrain effectively, while punching a big hole in M-Latios's otherwise awesome bulk. Latios also finds itself in the awkward position of risking Scald burns from Toxapex and Gastrodon (or Wisp from Rotom-W), and having to fight Bulu's Grassy Terrain in general - all of which nullify EQ's effectiveness at breaking common walls. Even a stray Discharge from Zapdos can greatly reduce M-Latios's long-term viability, as it will be unable to force M-Medicham, Kyurem-B, fast Lando, Mamoswine, Hoopa-U, or Megazard out of battle.

When I compare M-Latios to other A+ mons, I just don't see a comparison in terms of offensive or defensive presence. I just listed a half dozen trends that make you think twice about running M-Latios. Compare that to Ash-Gren, who can outright steamroll teams, even with the proper checks, by setting up Spikes and forcing a flinch on Pex, Ferrothorn, or Gastrodon. Compare it to normal Gren, who can run any set in the book, Taunt, break walls, set up hazards, U-Turn, and surprise you with Z-moves. Compare M-Latios to Tapu Koko, who can similarly run mixed sets and nuke common cores, while also functioning as a bulky pivot with Roost, or setting Screens for teammates, or busting out a suprise Z-move to break a weakened wall. Kartana can use any number of sets to abuse opponents, be it Scarf to clean, Band to tear through defensive cores, or SD to run through pretty much any wall in the tier. Compare M-Latios to Ferro/Pex, who remain both ubiquitous and fundamental elements of balance cores across the board. And then there's Zygarde, who is far and away the best pokemon in A+ and should probably be S. M-Latios just isn't on that level, where you need to bring a specific something that hard checks it and even when you do you can get surprised nuked. Even on teams where I don't specifically prepare for M-Latios, I can always find a way to keep it from going full Ash-Gren or Zygarde on my team.

Compare M-Latios to other A/A- mons (particularly megas), and you'll see it fits in with their characteristics much better. All of the A mons enjoy solid niches like M-Latios, but don't have to be prepared for it outright, unlike with Tapu Koko, Ferrothorn, Toxapex, or Ash-Gren (among others). By preparing for Ash-Gren or Koko with Ferrothorn, you check 2/3 or the M-Latios sets. By preparing for Zapdos or Chansey with Tyranitar, you get a free check on M-Latios (if you can avoid EQ). By running Bulu, you automatically limit Latios' EQ power. By running Lava Tran or Pex, you get a 30% chance of weakening Latios's EQ to the point of being irrelevant. M-Latios, like M-Alakazam and M-Medicham, exploits a hole in the meta where Heatran/Ferro/Pex/Clefable balance can be hard to break by conventional means because of how hard it is to switch into Heatran and Pex. However, like all of them, it is limited by its lack of an item, its incomplete coverage, and its performance against extreme forms of offense or defense.

That's a lot of ranting, so my TL;DR is that M-Latios is a mon who's in the middle stages of meta-adaptation. It came out hard a month or two ago and has continued to prove itself as a threat. But, as it has become a likely pick, mons like Tangrowth, Ferropex, Gastrodon, Celesteela, M-Scizor have come up to stop it on the defensive side, while others like M-Alakazam, Greninja, Tapu Koko, Weavile, Scarf Tyranitar, normal Tyranitar, Mamoswine and Tapu Lele can pressure M-Latios from the offensive side.

A+ -> S
Might be a controversial nom but...

If you've been watching tour games recently or playing this tier much at all you know exactly what Clefable does. Clefable is one of the best, arguably the best Stealth Rocker in the tier right now, and it's the reason this tier has gravitated so much toward fatter balance teams lately. Between passing off Wishes to teammates or just Calm Minding up after setting Stealth Rock, Clefable is one of the best Pokemon in SM OU and I think it should be recognized as such. Its utility in the current metagame cannot be understated, between checking Zygarde, Landorus-T, etc. It's stupidly hard to deal with long term and a large majority of teams in the current metagame end up only having Heatran as a long-term check anyway. Magic Guard lets it pivot in on virtually every bulky Pokemon in this meta from Toxapex to Ferrothorn. Clefable + Scarf Landorus-T and Clefable + Gliscor are some of the best cores this meta has to offer, too. Immunity to Spikes is godly and lets you smash opposing fat teams by just trading Spikes against Toxapex + Ferrothorn and switching around.

Move this thing up.
This pokemon also bullies Stall out of the metagame by itself. Clefable is ALWAYS (unless u catch it with some Block lure) a huge nuisance to deal with for Stall no matter the set. It is able to set up Stealth Rock more often than not, especially if it has Calm Mind, can Wish pass to the breaker you just chiped 3 turns ago who will start wrecking havoc again as well as clean during the lategame with Calm Mind on its own. In addition to all of that it offers an enormous amount of ressources due to Magic Guard + Leftovers. Paired with a Regenerator Pokemon and the ability to keep Stealth Rock up, that might just be enough to beat certain Stall builds on its own (since u can switch endlessly while they cant).

A -> A+
Celesteela has always been a great mixed defensive Pokemon in OU. The ability to Leech Seed/Protect chip at everything while destroying Grass Types due to the quagdruple resist + access to fire moves (Flamethrower, usually) is very appreciated against offensive builds and can even annoy bulkier ones since it can pressure Clefable and Ferrothorn. Recently Mega-Latios & Mega-Alakazam started rising to popularity as answers to metagame powerhouses such as Heatran and Toxapex and Celesteela is a good answer to those as well as incredibly powerful breaker such as Tapu Lele and Mega-Pinsir. Recent tournaments have shown just how effective Celesteela + Grass-type (preferably Tangrowth, usually) can be and I believe it should get a rise alongside Tangrowth because of that.

A- -> A &
A -> stay A
I'm going to adress both of these at once since I believe they have risen in popularity due to them being answers to similar prominent threats. Back in my day when Toxapex was statusing everybody and chipping away at recovery-less toxic spikes weak Pokemon people have one day decided that they werent gonna have any more of that and started running Psychic- and Electric-types with Recover/Roost (and Gliscor). The facts that Mega-Latios is Toxic Spikes immune & Mega-Alakazam has Magic Guard pre-evolution as well as Regenerator due to Trace against Toxapex were only increasing everybody's desire to run these Pokemon. In addition to that both of them were able to (and still are) switch into the most popular of Heatran sets, an almost impossible task. Their great defensive utility, speed tiers and offensive pressence enabled them to function nicely against a plethora of OverUsed Pokemon, allowing them to go from anti-meta calls to two of the most powerful and commonly seen mega Pokemon.

Knowing all of this I believe they should be ranked in the same sub-rank. While Mega-Latios (the currently higher-ranked Pokemon) has better defensive utility due to its Dragon-typing and superior HP/physdef, Mega-Alakazam has a better speed tier, is slightly more powerful and gets more oppertunities to be cute with Trace copying little goodies like regenerator, protean, swift swim, levitate, beast boost etc.

B -> B+
I actually agree with Tangrowth being more desireable in most cases, as it has a less momentum-draining recovery because of Regenerator and is very hard to chip. I also agree with Mega-Venu always being solid, the only point I disagree with is that there is no real reason to use it over Tangrowth. Since Clefable is extremely good right now & Celesteela has also become more desireable due to a lot of trends such as no Gravity/Smack Down Landorus-Therian, Mega-Alakazam, Mega-Latios... the Mega-Venusaur+Clefable+Celesteela core is as potent as ever. Mega-Venusaur is more desireable than Tangrowth on this type of team because it is more self sufficient and momentum, while not irrelevant, does not outvalue the added resistances and bonus pressure Mega-Venusaur brings to the table.

B+ -> stay B+
Slug is still quite relevant, as it is the best special electric & water switch-in in the tier and able to take on multiple other special attacker such as Mega-Latios, Heatran, Magearna, Mega-Alakazam etc. It's pressence is so big Energy Ball went from meme to a viable option on Pokemon like Magearna & Mega-Alakazam and while its not on the level of forcing people to run Grassium-Z Tapu Koko anymore I think B+ is representing it's spot in the metagame really well. It also pairs nicely with the good Pokemon Celesteela as a Grass-type replacement.

A -> Shadow Realm B+
Hawlucha is no longer the trap card no one knows the effect of and lost a lot of its charm because of that. Clefable on every single team means you have to EV yourself so you survive a Moonblast from full, not take any chip damage the entire game (not even Stealth Rock) and get a free Swords Dance somehow. If you can by some miracle do all of the above you are able to trade one for one because of the Mega-Scizor (or Zygarde, Ash-Gren etc) in the back, omedetou!

Seriously, I dont really get how relatively competent battlers (exposing Eternam btw) were on the ban Hawlucha train a few months ago... surely it was more viable then than now but it has never been even remotely close to being suspect worthy. And god beware you run into a Zapdos because you are playing that game 5v6 (unless you have Stone Edge over Roost in which case what are you even doing). Even on cheesy HO builds Hawlucha is starting to get replaced due to how little benefits it actually brings over other sweepers.

UR -> A+
After playing around with this newly released powerhouse for a really long time and testing many different builds against the most competent battlers I know I've come to the realization that this set is completely nuts and should probably be ranked around A+. Any other set is unviable, sadly :pikuh:

Last edited:
Let’s stop discussing Avalugg. We will vote on it next slate ...
Also, could we get some justification for the Volcarona drop? Not saying I disagree, it's just that every other 'mon got a reasoning for rising/dropping, and seeiing how a lot of people feel strongly about its ranking...

Regarding some of the nominations:
M-latios is indeed pretty amazing right now, but I don't feel like it's better than M-sciz and it would fit nicely alongside it and M-zam, which I do believe should rise.

I also think Zygarde is more than ready for S. It's just an incredibly meta-defining 'mon that you always have to think about when building, and the sheer amount of sets it can utilize or the way it never stopped being relevant through innovation should be enough to sit there with Lando and Heatran

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Might be a controversial nom but...

Clefable A+ -> S-

If you've been watching tour games recently or playing this tier much at all you know exactly what Clefable does. Clefable is one of the best, arguably the best Stealth Rocker in the tier right now, and it's the reason this tier has gravitated so much toward fatter balance teams lately. Between passing off Wishes to teammates or just Calm Minding up after setting Stealth Rock, Clefable is one of the best Pokemon in SM OU and I think it should be recognized as such. Its utility in the current metagame cannot be understated, between checking Zygarde, Landorus-T, etc. It's stupidly hard to deal with long term and a large majority of teams in the current metagame end up only having Heatran as a long-term check anyway. Magic Guard lets it pivot in on virtually every bulky Pokemon in this meta from Toxapex to Ferrothorn. Clefable + Scarf Landorus-T and Clefable + Gliscor are some of the best cores this meta has to offer, too. Immunity to Spikes is godly and lets you smash opposing fat teams by just trading Spikes against Toxapex + Ferrothorn and switching around.

Move this thing up.
Even though S- is gone, I think Clefable should go to S. I think Zygarde should go to S alongside it. There have been plenty of posts about Zygarde to S already, some exaggerating it's capabilities, so I'm not going to focus on the nitty-gritty of that; instead I'm going to discuss why I think there should be 4 S-Rank Pokemon in this metagame.

Firstly, 4 S-Rank Pokemon is not unreasonable; the DPP and BW Viability Rankings have four S-Ranks in each metagame, and even ORAS was recently updated to place Keldeo, Mega Metagross, and Gliscor in S-Rank, giving it 4 S-Ranks too. Even GSC, where Snorlax is a cut above the rest of the metagame, still places Raikou / Zapdos in S-Rank. There is no fear of "devaluing S-Rank" by placing 4 Pokemon in S-Rank.

More importantly, I think Landorus-T is no longer a cut above the rest of the metagame. Landorus-T's only truly dominant set at the moment is defensive Scarf, which is more of a glue mon than an enormous threat. The other sets are simply not omnipresent enough, and take a backseat to Heatran or Zygarde when players think about their team's weaknesses as they teambuild.

I think the viability rankings should reflect that this metagame is jointly dominated by Landorus-T, Heatran, Clefable, and Zygarde; as such, I believe all four belong in S-Rank.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Reacting to the new VR:

(I still think S- should not have been removed because Clefable and Zygarde are a clear cut ahead of the rest in A+ but whatever)

Latios-Mega and Zam-Mega>>>A+and A respectively
Agree
Latios and Zam have implemented themself as the best mega's in the tier for obvious qualities and the ranking should reflect that. But I think Latias-mega should rise to A if Latios rises, because there isn't an overwhelming reason to use Latios over Latias. While it still is better, Latias is an amazing wincon, lures Heatran too with Surf and doesn't give Alakazam a free switch.
+1 0 SpA Latias-Mega Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 248-292 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Also, Heatran is quite often run with Tapu Bulu/Ground-Immune-Pokemon, which halves Latios' EQ/don't take EQ damage, which causes mindgames, a problem Latias doesn't have. It is prone to Ttar more than Latios though.

Gastrodon>>>B
Disagree
Still does what it does. Changes aren't significant enough to drop it. Still walls the Ninja's, Koko, Mage etc.

Clefable>>>S
Clefable is absolutely stunning. Premier rocker, amazing splashability, checks mons of the highest echelons in the tier. Yet I'm hesitant to put it alongside Lando and Tran. It doesn't dominate the tier to that extent. S- would have been perfect. A+ however seems really out of place for this mon so I'm leaning to an agree but hmmm...

I also noticed Volcarona dropped. Why? It sets up on the rising Tangrowth, Toxapex has lost its dominance (freeing up HP Ground), it 1v1s the Eon-Duo, Zam and Zygarde, demolishes Clefable, Lando and Heatran with one boost, Torn-T is an extremely good Defogger and Scarfers aren't very prominent in the balanced meta.

Latios-Mega from A to A+: Agree. This thing is really solid atm and provides a reliable Heatran check which is really hard to find on more offensive builds and with heatran being better than ever is so important. It also has great utility, I've been using defog on this over ice beam/draco, which has worked really well so far.

Alakazam-Mega from A- to A: Agree. Like latios it's a really great tran check and functions brilliantly rn.

Gastrodon from B+ to B: Disagree. The slug still does what it's supposed to do, counter koko and ash gren. I don't think counterplay such as grass knot on either of them or uturn on koko is common enough (outside of screens koko ofc, but that's not the set gastro is used for) to make gastro worse at its role, and even though the meta is more balance shifted atm these offense threats are potent enough for gastro to still be good. It is a cycle mon, but I think there's enough life in its cycle for it to hold on to B+ for a little while longer.
Edit: Forgot to mention Hawlucha. I think it is simply too much of a threat to drop below A- despite the meta being against it due to being more balanced orientated. Yes balance in general is a problem due to clef/zap being issues, however it is still really threatening to any team that doesn't carry one of these 2 mons (and also puts pressure on the opp to play these mons more safely than they might have to otherwise), still sets up on one of the best mons in the tier in lando, and can carry stone edge to lure zap. I think it should be A-.

Leo edit: edited out the zeraora bit

Mega Latias ---> A- to A

I think its current rank is underselling M-Latias and its performance in many balanced teams in the metagame. It can check many of OU's top tier threats like Landorus-T, Heatran and Zygarde depending on the set. Also, it can check rising threats like SD Gliscor, Bloom Doom Heatran and its brother, M-Latios lacking Draco Meteor.
Also, a thing that differentiates it from M-Latios is the CM set with Reflect Type, with this, it can't be Pursuit trapped easily by Tyranitar and even by Weavile, it can shit on many Heatran set as it can tank easily Magma Storm, can't be hit by Earth Power and can't be Toxiced, so a CM sweep is really possible if you can get ride Dark-type mons.
Furthermore, it pairs really well with Clefable and the aforementioned Heatran, making a solid core the three mons.
I think it deserve A rank and M-Latios must go to A+.

Last edited:
Amoonguss B --> B+
Anyone else feel Amoonguss might be ripe for a rise? AV Amoonguss is pretty cool. If nothing else, it's usually superior to Venusaur. It's a reasonable Tangrowth/Bulu alternative and while I wouldn't argue it's better than either of them, it has a niche and definitely fits better on certain teams. Even with Latios and Zam trending up (relevant bc psychic weakness) Amoonguss is still a great check to a lot of stuff. With AV it's so bulky you can straight leave it on Heatran, eat magma and kill with stomping tantrum. Not the best mon, but certainly better than some stuff in B (cough Keldeo.)

Hawlucha --> B+
I agree with Charmflash 's sentiment about Hawlucha, (s)he pretty much got everything, so I won't drag on here. The metagame has adapted around it, and I think it's inaccurate to put it next to Bulu, Ttar, Celesteela, etc. It doesn't break stall and balance is a lot different than 6 months ago or whenever Hawlucha came up, it's really not as effective.

Keldeo --> lower
Keldeo should be like C+ at this point I think. The scarf set is really niche (it's a shitty ash gren check, I guess), and specs is pretty much outclassed by Gren who can break Latis, Pex. Spamming specs Scald is cool, I guess, but if you want to spam scald just use pex /s. Z + Taunt is unique, but kind of mediocre, it eats up a Z-move to be a *decent* wallbreaker, which is kind of hard to justify.

Rotom-W --> lower
I know it just got bumped down, but Rotom-W is hot asscheese (for anyone that played enough BW/ORAS, this is a very good thing). Every Rotom-W team I ever see looks like somebody tried to build around Rotom-W and ended up with some wack subpar squad as a result. The fact it can't break pex bc volt switch bounces off alone kind of disqualifies it from being a threat with waterium Z "wallbreaker", it's also super easy to stall it out of hydro pump because it only has 8, which is really ~6 given accuracy. I would honestly move it to like C/C-, but any downward shift is a positive in my mind. Prominent physical attackers aren't really conducive to traditional defensive Rotom being effective either: Kartana, Zygarde, Bulu, Banded Ttar, etc. don't care about Rotom's defensive typing. Same on the special side, it gets toxiced by Heatran, and even if not one turn of residual magma damage negates lefties from switch in turn + hpump on switch. Gren can beat rotom fairly easily.. it does help with Tornadus and Pinsir, I guess, but doesn't like anything they throw out and getting knocked by Tornadus is really bad..

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
fwiw Ice Beam Mega Latios still does annoy M-Latias. Anyway, here's something that's a bit out there but actually is kinda lowkey good and GMars approved. (GMars edit: I don't remember actually approving this)

Barb for C-

GOREHOWL (Barbaracle) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Cross Chop

With the fall of most scarfers in the modern era, Barbaracle steps in and rips a new hole in Balance with its key traits. Shell Smash and its passable speed with Jolly Nature let it outpace the likes of Timid Mage and Modest Heatran, and after the boost, Scarf Lando and everything else unboosted. Adamant can be used for more power and better rolls vs things. I think a big part of why Barb should be considered is how it can setup vs threats like Tornadus-T, Clefable, and how most try to pivot into their Bulky Grass only to get destroyed. +2 Cont Crush smashes AV Tang and p much every grass except ferro which dies to cross chop, even on min roll jolly. Things like Gastro fail to check you after some chip as well. Not to mention, most Scarf Gren variants cant even touch you outside of the uncommon Hydro Pump or Low Kick. You're also resistant to espeed and qa which is nice.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773025618
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-769529897
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-769556581
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-769081126
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773021350

(Also twave clef w a diff rocker or over wish is actually lowkey good bc it punishes the best mon in the tier)

It's unfortunate that Buzzwole is unranked while even Uxie has a C rank. Buzzwole is arguably one of the best physical walls in the tier. It has impressive 109/139 physical bulk, and has access to reliable recovery in the form of roost, as well as deterrent to boosters with Bulk Up. Offensively, it possesses an immense 139 base attack and a large movepool, enabling it to threaten common switch-ins even while uninvested.

Buzzwole is capable of walling and defeating, Landorus-T (Non Z-Fly), Kartana, Zygarde, Scizor-M, Tyranitar, SD Gliscor, M-Gyarados, M-Lopunny, Tapu Bulu, M-Swampert, Weavile, Excadrill, Heracross-M, Mamoswine, Garchomp (Mega), Bisharp, CB Zeraora etc. Thus I would recommend,

UR -> C

I forgot to save a lot of good replays (especially rain matchups) cos I'm an idiot, but here are a few:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774213956 (Buzzwole Defeats SD Bisharp and WP Zygarde with ease)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-772548065 (Buzzwole takes on Z-Move Zygarde, CB Weavile and M-Lopunny)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-772551704 (Buzzwole takes on CB Zygarde, Kartana, M-Gyarados)

I would recommend this set for maximum effectiveness. http://pokepast.es/efa3df1c25fc3f7f

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that Buzzwole is unranked while even Uxie has a C rank. Buzzwole is arguably one of the best physical walls in the tier. It has impressive 109/139 physical bulk, and has access to reliable recovery in the form of roost, as well as deterrent to boosters with Bulk Up. Offensively, it possesses an immense 139 base attack and a large movepool, enabling it to threaten common switch-ins even while uninvested.

Buzzwole is capable of walling and defeating, Landorus-T (Non Z-Fly), Kartana, Zygarde, Scizor-M, Tyranitar, SD Gliscor, M-Gyarados, M-Lopunny, Tapu Bulu, M-Swampert, Weavile, Excadrill, Heracross-M, Mamoswine, Garchomp (Mega), Bisharp, CB Zeraora etc. Thus I would recommend,

UR -> C

I forgot to save a lot of good replays (especially rain matchups) cos I'm an idiot, but here are a few:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774213956 (Buzzwole Defeats SD Bisharp and WP Zygarde with ease)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-772548065 (Buzzwole takes on Z-Move Zygarde, CB Weavile and M-Lopunny)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-772551704 (Buzzwole takes on CB Zygarde, Kartana, M-Gyarados)

I would recommend this set for maximum effectiveness. http://pokepast.es/efa3df1c25fc3f7f

doesn't helmet tang do exactly the same thing? like i guess it loses to weavile but on the flip side it deters stuff like torn and clef from coming in with knock and sleep powder. plus weavile and mamo aren't common enough to warrant a teamslot dedicated to them imo. or mega scizor? it beats a majority of your list with hp ice or hp fire and offers defog to boot. even if you don't run hidden power, u turn is enough to pressure its switch ins. meanwhile your buzzwole set loses to arguably the best stealth rocker in the tier right now, clefable while also letting hazards go up from gren and pex. seems like the only reason you got to your peak with buzzwole is not because of buzzwole itself but a decent fat core and the fact that ou ladder cannot break stall for shit and the only reason you're using buzzwole is not because buzzwole offers anything better but because of a novelty thing.

convince me otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)