SM OU The legendary Websveil (Peak #11)

1531755458512.png
1531755497109.png
1531755773193.png
1531755804665.png
1531755885350.png
1531755973354.png

Introduction

Hey guys, Lobster here with a team that I have used for months now, and is still as highly effective in the current meta as it was when it peaked. The idea of this team was pretty simple, I wanted to build a team based around sticky web + aurora veil with a bunch of mons to abuse it. I don't really have anything else I need to say about this team, so lets just get on with it.

#11.png

Teambilding process

• So I began with Araquanid + Ninetales-a, as they allow me to get webs + veil. I chose araquanid > shuckle as it actually has offensive presence which is important as it makes it harder to defog on. It also gives me an ash gren check.
  • From there, I added zygarde because it's broken it takes advantage of veil to the maximum and also benefits from webs as it allows me to need dragon dance less, which makes it easier to spam coil.
  • I then added SD Bulu for no particular reason other than it seemed like it took advantage of screens nicely.
  • Up next, I went for Bisharp as I needed a defog deterrent as this team is screwed over by defog. One of the most important members of the team, it allows me to force the opponent to defog with hazards, remove the fogger with bish and then get hazards back up.
  • Finally, I added kartana as it is by far the best webs abuser.
  • This variation struggled with steel types and getting wisped, so I trialed out some other stuff over bulu and came to the conclusion Heatran was the best mon for the job. It also gave me stealth rock, which the first variant lacked.
The Team

1531760555559.png

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat

Araquanid is here as it is by far the best web setter. I opted for leech life > hp fire as this team struggles with ash gren without the ability to bop it with araq, and it also allows it to soft check the latis, stopping them either defogging or just being annoying in general and stopping kartana sweeping. Unlike traditional webs teams, it is not usually the best idea to sack araquanid as its utility after webbing is very useful to this team. Exceptions to this include V mega diancie, as araq is the only thing that reliably beats it, and is one of the main reasons I use sash over another item.

1531760568762.png

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 116 HP / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

So, ninetales. This is here for veil, and the reason I have it over something like screens koko is it also has some offensive utility with this set. Moonblast allows it to beat non bullet punch mmedi and msab after hail (medi is a roll and can only do so if it uses fake out first), while the defensive EVs allow it to set veil on specs koko 100% of the time. Now that's less common there may be a better spread but I am yet to make one. Encore is really nice to allow me to force out defensive mons and stop things like mawile for setting up on me. Ninetales also gives me a favorable rain matchup, which is good as that is way too common on the ladder.

1531760576210.png

Zygarde @ Mago Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 140 Atk / 28 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

Zygarde is often the mon that wins me the game due to its insane bulk behind screens and ability to beat almost all of its checks. It also is vital when facing other screens teams, as they usually go down to the zyg V zyg. I opted for mago > iapapa because it has the same functionality while having a far better name. The EV spread allows me to outspeed the often troublesome lopunny after one dd or webs. Other than that its standard double dance as that is the far most effective set for this team. You can go sub > espeed if you want but then its harder to beat ash gren and bulu so I really wouldn't.

1531760583056.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock​

Most of the feedback I get from this team (other than ppl calling it bad cause they can't beat it) is "why is there a random tran on veil?". Well, that's so I have a much better matchup against celesteela, toxapex, skarm, and pretty much every bulky fogger. Taunt is extremely useful as it allows me to keep hazards up, while in general tran appreciates veil to retain some bulk to beat things like pex and remain useful afterwards. Getting rocks is also vital V teams with a zapdos for reasons I'll explain later.

1531760602151.png

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Bish is a vital member of the squad due to defiant. With this team relying so much on things that defog just gets rid of, I need bish as defog insurance. A lot of people wrongly think that Bish is supposed to sweep, it isn't. Its supposed to break the things this team struggles with, and it does fantastically at it. Jolly > adamant to outspeed bulky zap (ie the only good set) so I can remove it with +2 z-sucker (remember to use Z-sucker > Z-knock, guys). It also helps V clefable, which is always nice to be rid of (or at least weakened) to make zygs life easier.

1531760611183.png

Kartana @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance​

Finally, Kartana. You will have noticed that I'm psychium, and that serves a very important purpose: beating everything kart normally can't, from zapdos after SR to mvenu, amoongus, buzzwole, and random "unmons" like kommo-o or breloom. I went for psychium > z-giga as psycho cut can be useful after z, for example taking out mvenu + buzzwole, or a hawlucha that thinks its safe to SD then finishing off a weakened zapdos. If zyg doesn't sweep, then kart's usually the one doing it.

For those of you who'll complain about double z: This team needs the ability to use the z on both kart and bish. If it can't, then it limits me to taking out things like zap with only the one with the z, which is stupid as I need to be +2 with the thing that takes it out, and neither set up on zap safely. If you're that bothered and want to use the team, you can try LO bish but warning: you won't like it when your screwed by the chip damage (most close games come down to a low health bish cleaning with sucker).

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 116 HP / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

Zygarde @ Mago Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 140 Atk / 28 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Kartana @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance

Threatlist

Like every team, this team has some weaknesses, some more than others. Here is a list of what to watch out for with a colour coded threat level.

• Diancie-mega: you have to take this out with araq, leaving you webless in that matchup. If they don't lead with it, get veil up ASAP as you can take a hit from it with veil up.
  • Tyranitar: Mega DD is a near unwinnable matchup, while others are annoying as they prevent veil. You can go hail > encore on tales to soften this matchup, but honestly it isn't worth it cause its still a bad matchup and you're also worse V any slow setup mon.

• Tangrowth: zyg can't beat it, kart struggles, a lot of games V tang teams force me to break with bish. Tran and araq help out a lot, but beware of magma misses. Also the more anything you take out the better as it prevents it from getting easy regen boosts.
  • Pyukumuku: This walls zyg and bish, so its a pain. Try to either magic coat a toxic onto it with araq, trap + kill it with tran, or get yourself to a point where kart sweeps.
  • Torn-T: Superpower variants are the most threatening as you can't mindlessly swap bish in to prevent fog. It's best to remove this if you can, if not sweeping with kart is impossible so try to win with zyg.
  • Breloom: This irrelevant mon is a bit of a cteam, ideally you want veil up so you can beat it with kart while not taking a ton from mach punch. Fortunately, almost no one uses this competently so you should be ok.
  • Tapu Koko: This is only a problem if you can't guess the variant. Taunt is annoying since it stops veil, elec z moreso as it kills tales.
  • Hawlucha: To win this, you basically need veil up. Zyg can beat it by coiling twice into 1k arrows then espeed if you do. Catching SDing luchas with kart helps but it's risky. Otherwise, pray for the hjk miss. This should probably be in red tbh but its here now.

• Serperior: Play tran safely and you should be ok barring hax. Araq can help with leech life if it's healthy.
  • Tapu Fini: Only a problem cause it fogs relatively easily. Try to stop it by taunting it with tran or using bish to take it out.
  • Rotom-w: See above except this is easier to beat, be careful of wisp tho.
  • Zygarde: Lowkey a problem for every team, try to win it in the Zyg V Zyg or even better check it with tales if its healthy and veil is up.
  • Kartana: If they lead with SD kart try to chip it and go for the tie. Otherwise use common sense.
  • Slowbro-mega: Be warned kart only does about half at +0. If you are aware of how stupid it's def is and play accordingly, you shouldn't worry bout this too much.

That's all, thanks for reading, shoutout to the OU room, drop a like if you feel so inclined, and enjoy the team.​

Last edited:
I like your team very much, but I would change 2 things:
1. I would run Leftovers over sash on araquanid, because the match-up vs m-diancie is way too rare and the lefties work nice with its bulk

2. well, you are right, having the opportunity to use a Zmove on both, kartana and bisharp is nice, but in my opinion its not worth wasting an item slot for it. so I would run LO > Darkinium Z on bisharp. kartana need the Z move more, because it gives him a safer kill and then it has anyway more attack (beast boost). but bisharp misses the damage after using the Z move, so in my opinion LO is better.

But apart from these little things I really like your team.

I like your team very much, but I would change 2 things:
1. I would run Leftovers over sash on araquanid, because the match-up vs m-diancie is way too rare and the lefties work nice with its bulk

2. well, you are right, having the opportunity to use a Zmove on both, kartana and bisharp is nice, but in my opinion its not worth wasting an item slot for it. so I would run LO > Darkinium Z on bisharp. kartana need the Z move more, because it gives him a safer kill and then it has anyway more attack (beast boost). but bisharp misses the damage after using the Z move, so in my opinion LO is better.

But apart from these little things I really like your team.
Yeah lefties (and metronome, which is personally what I'd go for if I dropped sash) are good options on araq if you don't mind autolosing the diancie matchup and being unable to take out ttar at the price of webs. As for the bish thing that is a preference change as I mentioned, although I definitely prefer double z.
Thanks for your input, I'm glad you're enjoying the team!

I also really like the team, but I think bisharp isnt a very good idea honestly. You have 3x fighting weakness and only 1 resistance, so this team will face problems against mega medicham, mega loppuny, hawlucha and pretty much most, if not all, fighting type sweepers in the tier. Bisharp is also pretty much checked by Magnezone, since you have no way of switching it out. Personally, I think you would be better off with Thundurus (if you really hate defog that much) or, what I'd go for, Tornadus-T, which helps counter fighting types. Give it Defog to remove enemy hazards, since this team is otherwise very weak to opposing sticky webs, U-Turn for momentum, Hurricane for a nice STAB and so you arent force to use U-Turn to attack and for the last move use either Taunt, if you want to help prevent opposing setup/status/hazards or Knock Off to weaken enemy Chanseys (or any tanks honestly), Toxic Orb Gliscor and Choice Pokemon. Tornadus can also be your answer to opposing Lando-T and Skarmory, should you run taunt, because it outspeeds both of them. I also like to give it Flyinium Z which deals good damage to many things and could pick up a KO without the opponent expecting it (and don't complain about double Z-Move, you were using it already xD).

I also really like the team, but I think bisharp isnt a very good idea honestly. You have 3x fighting weakness and only 1 resistance, so this team will face problems against mega medicham, mega loppuny, hawlucha and pretty much most, if not all, fighting type sweepers in the tier. Bisharp is also pretty much checked by Magnezone, since you have no way of switching it out. Personally, I think you would be better off with Thundurus (if you really hate defog that much) or, what I'd go for, Tornadus-T, which helps counter fighting types. Give it Defog to remove enemy hazards, since this team is otherwise very weak to opposing sticky webs, U-Turn for momentum, Hurricane for a nice STAB and so you arent force to use U-Turn to attack and for the last move use either Taunt, if you want to help prevent opposing setup/status/hazards or Knock Off to weaken enemy Chanseys (or any tanks honestly), Toxic Orb Gliscor and Choice Pokemon. Tornadus can also be your answer to opposing Lando-T and Skarmory, should you run taunt, because it outspeeds both of them. I also like to give it Flyinium Z which deals good damage to many things and could pick up a KO without the opponent expecting it (and don't complain about double Z-Move, you were using it already xD).
While you are correct fightings are somewhat problematic, I'm not too sure removing the only thing that takes advantage of defog is a good idea. Bish also gives me a reasonable matchup V webs, as I can get up my own webs so the lowered speed is not an issue and have a +2 mon in the back with priority. Also zone isn't much of a check as bish can take a hit from scarf and do a lot back with knock and can sucker if weakened. Thundurus is a cool suggestion though as it also has defiant, so I will most likely test that out as it does help with a good chunk of the unfavorable matchups like lucha. Thanks for your suggestions!

I like how I wrote so many things about Torn T, but you chose to go with Thund because of defiant xD. If you want to run Defiant Thundurus, use a mixed set with Thunderbolt, Knock Off, Superpower and HP Ice and use a life orb or a choice band, if you dont mind being locked onto 1 move. It also gives you the element of surprise, since I'm pretty sure most Thundurus run Prankster, but I could be wrong.

I used the team a bit and you dont have problems against magnezone or fighting types. And bisharp is nice against web or defog because its the best defiant user I think. once I switched into webs vs clef which moonblasted me, spatt drop and I am +4. bisharp works really well on the team, but the LO chip is pretty annoying and sometimes you really want the Z move. Maybe I will try double Z move

I used to have a DarkiumZ Bisharp as well but it didn’t fit well on my team. And LO isn’t your only option, with Dread Plate I have been able to OHKO some of my counters and with webs up you can abuse Bish with more attack.
Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)