Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Best F(r)iends (2018) 6/10
The second half of this film seemed to lose a lot of steam over the first, but maybe that's because I had to wait 2 months between each half. And for no reason really. It's only 3 hours and 20 minutes combined. And they certainly could have cut a bit from the second half. Also, while the second half has a really good guest actor in it, there's a lack of chemistry with Greg Sestero that really proves just how weak an actor he really is. It's hard to rate this film, because I'd like to rewatch the first half, and maybe if I watch it all at once it would work better. But the second half was really weak.

Bound (1996) 7/10
My last Wachowski movie (probably the last one I'll ever see, sadly). Better than I would have thought. Tight budget and simple plot, but you could definitely make an argument for it being a masterpiece of simple film making. It feels like Twin Peaks directed by Quentin Tarantino. It's also incredibly sexy. I could count on one hand movies that I find really erotic, and Bound manages. Performances are great even from actresses not known for being good at all.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992) 5/10
John Carpenter was never appreciated in his time by critics. So what about a movie even people on IMDB don't seem to like? Well, it's better than a 5.9 would suggest (having a 5 on IMDB is very different from me giving a 5, on IDMB it's more like a 2/3). Memoirs has some problems, but it's a fun sci-fi B movie with a lot of good actors and some impressive visual effects. Worth watching.

Hereditary (2018) 9/10
No one in Firebot got the joke that the villain actually IS Piedmon
Hereditary is the most terrifying and uncomfortable horror movie I have ever seen, or at least it's pretty close to Martyrs. But it's also immaculately well crafted, with call backs to almost every innocuous thing that happens. It's not a movie worth seeing more than once, it's one that demands to be rewatched in order to understand every nuance.

The Broadway Melody (1929) 2/10
I hope you like the song "Broadway Melody", because you're going to hear it a lot. More grounded of a spectacle musical than The Great Ziegfeld was and in half the time, but this film is so so incredibly creepy in how it treats women.

Upgrade (2018) 8/10
Deus Ex with DBZ fights. I see a lot of people describe this as a B movie, but it has more of a message than any low budget action film has a right to. Action movie of the year, probably.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) 8/10
I caved but guys Darth Maul is in it, and Han shoots first, and there's a reference to Masters of Teras Kasi and that's awesome in how terrible it is. I didn't want to see this because I knew it wasn't going to be an artistic expression, and it's definitely not, but it's a fun enough action movie to be worth seeing and I think it has just a bit more genuine heart than Rogue One did.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Things I saw for a while and didn't get the chance to talk about:

Solo: like it was ok I guess. But at the same time, it was really good, and really _bland_. I went into this with the expecptation of a jumbled movie that couldn't find its footing and a terrible actor as solo. Man, the actor delivered on that promise, I guess, but it sort of actually worked? They clearly wanted to have han solo be a very naive character, and they pulled that off. Lando was completely spot on. The train was one of THE best star wars set pieces in the franchise history. It expanded the universe in great ways. And..........it also seemed to reduce it in others. Qi'ra double crosses solo so she can become the leader of the crime syndicate...lying to her new master, darth maul? Darth maul the crime syndicate leader? Seems a waste of the talents. Han Solo spawned THE REBELLION? With all those people you recognize from Rogue One? Yeah, don't buy it.

And...the kessel run. I really, really hated the kessel run. It went from an opportunity to make han solo a legendary character to "the computer told me there was a hole in the cloud". Wasn't he supposed to be outrunning a star destroyer through a minefield of black holes? Showing off nerves of steel in threading the needle between getting ripped apart by them? Not "dodge a few asteroids, here's a black hole sort of thing chilling next to this planet, fight this giant squid I guess?" It just felt flat.

Deadpool: I expected this to be a standard laugh action movie, just "more of the first one", but I think this totally surpassed the first film. I don't consider the first movie a "breath of fresh air" into the superhero universe, like I'd consider kingsman to the action movie, as it was sort of grounded and a bit monochromatic. Maybe it was because it was an origin story? But the second takes deadpool's schtick and turns it up. I thought that the situational comedy AND the oneliners were improved, the CGI and action was much more on point, it took us to better locales...what more is there to ask for?

Brahm Stoker's Dracula: I first wanted to see this because of the pinball machine that I've been playing near me recently, and after I saw the opening monologue I was hooked. I'm really impressed that francis ford coppola managed to do the ENTIRE movie without computer aid, even in editing. Fade-in scenes were literally shot on the same rolls of film, not spliced together. This was an artistic choice to pay homage to Nosferatu and the origin of filmmaking, and I think it paid off in a big way. I expected a lot of great memes to come out of the lines (and there definitely were those with Keaneu Fucking Reeves and anthony hopkins acting next to each other), but I didn't expect a solid period piece that had some really great scenes. Gary Oldman deserved an oscar for the first five minutes alone. Oh, and the pinball machine rocks, so that's marks in its favor.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Things I saw for a while and didn't get the chance to talk about:

Solo: like it was ok I guess. But at the same time, it was really good, and really _bland_. I went into this with the expecptation of a jumbled movie that couldn't find its footing and a terrible actor as solo. Man, the actor delivered on that promise, I guess, but it sort of actually worked? They clearly wanted to have han solo be a very naive character, and they pulled that off. Lando was completely spot on. The train was one of THE best star wars set pieces in the franchise history. It expanded the universe in great ways. And..........it also seemed to reduce it in others. Qi'ra double crosses solo so she can become the leader of the crime syndicate...lying to her new master, darth maul? Darth maul the crime syndicate leader? Seems a waste of the talents. Han Solo spawned THE REBELLION? With all those people you recognize from Rogue One? Yeah, don't buy it.

And...the kessel run. I really, really hated the kessel run. It went from an opportunity to make han solo a legendary character to "the computer told me there was a hole in the cloud". Wasn't he supposed to be outrunning a star destroyer through a minefield of black holes? Showing off nerves of steel in threading the needle between getting ripped apart by them? Not "dodge a few asteroids, here's a black hole sort of thing chilling next to this planet, fight this giant squid I guess?" It just felt flat.
Felt like the opposite, going in I expected Donald Glover to not seem like Lando at all, and I was right. The times he tried to copy Lando's accent just fell completely flat and took me out of the movie. I never thought Donald Glover could play this role anyway, he's in so many films and TV shows now he's a little overexposed. The whole time, all I could see was Donald Glover in a costume. Donald Glover works, but only as a specific kind of "playing himself" character; I don't think he has a lot of range. Alden Ehrenreich at least was an unknown, though he didn't seem like Han Solo at all either. I think Alden gave a very good performance and was very likeable.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the movie, because I actually did a lot. As I told Gato, I was just going to go in pretending that these are all new characters and try to enjoy it. And it was a ton of fun. Donald and Alden were really good in it, just not believable as their respective characters. I don't think anyone could play these characters though, so it's totally understandable. Only recastings that worked in Star Wars, in my opinion, were Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan and Genevieve O'Reilly as Mon Mothma. For Obi-Wan, there was like a 35 year age difference, and Mon Mothma was hardly even a character to begin with. But enough about that.

Chewbacca was actually really cool in the movie too. I always felt like he was never a full character in the original trilogy, he was just an extension of Han. In the sequels especially with Han dead, Chewie just seems like he has to be there but has nothing to do. But this film really made Chewie seem like his own person, at least for the first half. He couldn't just be an extension of Han, since he and Han didn't know each other yet. So through them getting to know each other, we finally got to know Chewie better. Thought that was one of the best parts of the movie, when Han reveals that he knows some Wookiee and they play fight and don't get along at first. And their team takes them as equals, not as Han Solo feat. Chewbacca, since they're both strangers really. I thought their relationship was very heartfelt, and hilarious when Chewie got in the shower with him lol.

The whole movie overall didn't seem much like an origin story to me. He starts off as an adult and a rebel already, and his character doesn't change much. But I don't have an issue with that, I'm fine with it just being "Han's greatest hits: the movie". I think it was clever how they sneaked in some things though, like showing he had some sympathy in his heart for the rebels to begin with. Makes his turn in A New Hope a little more earned, if only slightly.

I liked the Sabaac game, kinda predicted he would lose the first time, and it was a nice twist subverting expectations. The music cue kinda gave it away though lol.

Woody Harrelson is always good too, as was his crew. Jon Favreau brought a lot of warmth to his monkey character. It was remarkable how much Beckett practiced what he preached lol, like his crew died, including his lover, and he got over it pretty quickly. They mentioned he killed Aurra Sing though too? That's kind of a sad anticlimactic end for her, but I guess she had to be dead since she never appeared in the original trilogy. Always like when they can factor in the prequels one way or another, and maybe they'll show that incident in his eventual spin-off comic, lol.

On that same note, Darth Maul teaser was very strange for a standalone film. What was that supposed to set up? Anyone who only watches the movies will have no idea he's still alive, and anyone who watches the shows knows he's canonically killed (again) by Obi-Wan in like a year so what's the point? And what was that supposed to set up? Is there gonna be a sequel?

Overall, I liked this movie. Thought it was nice, heartfelt, family fun. Definitely surpassed my expectations, though I don't really plan to see it again.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Sometimes in a movie they do this weird thing where the mention a thing and it’s not a set up for a later movie. It’s a really foreign concept for a lot of people I know but truly it happens.

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sometimes in a movie they do this weird thing where the mention a thing and it’s not a set up for a later movie. It’s a really foreign concept for a lot of people I know but truly it happens.
Lol yeah, that's actually what I mean. I don't think it's a set up, but it was done like one.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They must be in a fantasy world if anybody working on this film thinks Disney will green light a sequel, lol

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Eagle vs Shark (2007) 5/10
One of my favorite directors right now, Taika Waititi definitely improved a lot with each film. His first (and the last I had to see) is definitely funny in Waititi's subversive, quirky, New Zealand redneck style, but unlike it's follow-up, Boy, it really lacks a clear message. I guess it's advocating codependency, but I'm not sure the film knows that. At one point I thought the female love interest was montage training in order to beat up the male love interest in a street fight, and the film didn't go that way, but it's pretty bad that that's the film I wish I had seen.

Hotel Artemis (2018) 7/10
It's abundantly apparent that they wanted to call this movie Hotel California and couldn't get the rights. When you think about the film through the context of that song, there's some interesting thematic connections between the most important characters. But then some characters are fairly pointless. Hotel Artemis sets up a cool environment and has good performances from its actors, but loose ends make it feel like a bit less than the sum of its parts.

Ocean's 8 (2018) 5/10
Serviceable heist film. Everything is too easy for the characters, the twists are obvious, and there's a lot of fridge logic in the last act.

Tag (2018) 7/10
Has probably one of the funniest jokes of the year. In a crowded theater I think only one other person was laughing at the joke, but we laughed for about two minutes. A lot of great comedy and action in this movie. It's mostly really fun, except when it goes to really unfun places. I guess this was for the sake of character development, but the attempt was poorly fitted to a movie about a game of tag.
"I lost a long legal battle with Joann's Fabrics"

Wings (1927) 6/10
My last Oscar film, and as can be seen, a surprise in terms of quality. It's a silent film with some amazing shots, stunning special effects, and an amazing soundtrack. They seriously just dropped bombs on shit and crashed planes into each other midair. Or if they didn't, they fooled me. Some of the fire is fake, but it's an artistic fake that's bright orange against the sepia tone and it looks really good during midair battles. The story is very simple but has a surprising turn at the end. It's just for a movie you're mostly watching for visuals and sound, 150 minutes is overlong.

Pom Poko (1994) 8/10
I had low expectations going into the silly tanuki testacle movie, but what I got was a film that, while not quite as pretty as Miyazaki's, actually manages to beat the best of them in terms of animation creativity. And I mean, obviously, it's a film about shapeshifters. There's so much potential there and Pomo Poko about tapped it out. Also, it's a doggo movie. You'll laugh. You'll cry. Your balls will swell.

The Muppets Movie (1979) 5/10
There are a lot of movies that are just a list of rotating cameos and they always get reviled. I guess The Muppets get a pass because celebrity participating was always a big part of their success. I just don't have much nostalgia for The Muppets that I think this movie requires. It's a bit funny. Kermit is a good character, though he's the only one as far as the movie goes. There are so many Muppets, so it's probably hard for them all to shine in a 90 minute film.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Incredibles 2 (2018) 8/10
Both CG animation and superheroes have improved a lot since the first Incredibles. As I just rewatched that film, I can attest that the sequel is a major improvement. The timing in scenes is just much more on point. The story progresses in a rational way. There's more Frozone. And I thought Jack-Jack would be really annoying, but he's consistently hilarious and kind of awesome. The best scene involves a fight between Jack-Jack and Rocket Raccoon, who has fallen on very hard times since Infinity War.

The Peanuts Movie (2015) 5/10
I really have to strongly express my appreciation for what this film isn't. It isn't a fart joke meme-filled movie set in the modern real world. It isn't even an animated film full of Hollywood A-listers with no voice acting experience. There's one or modern songs in it. I didn't like them, but they were no Shut Up and Drive. Speaking of, The Emoji Movie 2 trailer looks absolutely horrendous. But can I be appreciative of what this film is? It's a nostalgia grab for a franchise I'm not terribly nostalgic for, and if I was, I think I'd rather rewatch the old specials than sit through a complete retread. Great execution, but not much point in existing.

Following (1998) 6/10
Another really admirable low budget first film, this time from Christopher Nolan. Definitely a product of the era when he made confusing and ambitious films, but it's a bit unpolished compared to Memento. I guess a $6,000 budget can do that. Very impressive stuff though and worth watching.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) 2/10
I almost gave this a three, because if you turn your brain off, I'm sure it's fun at times. But if you try to follow it, it's constantly annoying. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen. And in action scenes, characters constantly just stand around and do nothing as danger approaches.

So the film starts with Jeff Goldblum talking to a senate hearing about how they shouldn't rescue these dinosaurs. "First we had nuclear power and look at that. Now we have genetic power". The senator asks him to elaborate. "We have genetic power now". It's like he was pulled over a DUI and he's trying explain himself to the cops. It's one of the worst written scenes I have ever witnessed. You could have replaced him with Tommy Wiseau, and you might as well have, because he's out of the movie now.

So Claire (she's the female protagonist) really wants to save dinosaurs and she drives out to the Resident Evil mansion of James Cromwell, the business partner of Hammond that we've never been told about before. This is the primary setting of the film where the characters interact with really only one dinosaur. There she meets Cromwell's granddaughter, whose mom died before she was born and it's a massive plot point that she's really sad that no one will let her see what her mom looked like. This was when I said the plot twist out loud in the theater. I'm too lazy to use hide tags, but if you haven't caught on, you're a fucking idiot.

They are hired by villainous badman to go rescue the velociraptor from the island. They take Chris Pratt, not Aubrey Plaza, and a random IT guy for comic relief. There's no reason for the IT guy to come. He doesn't want to be there, like, he REALLY doesn't want to be there. And he says out loud multiple times he doesn't know why he's there. Ha ha. Bazinga. Anyway everyone is like, don't tranq the raptor, because that could kill it, so they shoot it with bullets. Oh wow, Buffalo Bill is a villain too. He tranqs Chris Pratt and then tries to leave everyone to die for no real reason, as they aren't exactly breaking laws by going to this island and retrieving someone's private property.

Now I've seen a lot of composite volcanoes (pyroclastic flow) portrayed as shield volcanoes (magma). But I've never seen a shield volcano portrayed as a composite volcano, let alone both at the same time. Now in this scene, our heroes encounter one of those bubble cars from the first movie. Then a dinosaur shows up. So two of them get in the bubble. And Chris Pratt just stands there. I guess because dinosaurs don't see you if you don't move. But the bubble car exists so dinosaurs can't attack you. Then the door just shuts on him. Womp womp.

Everyone gets off the island and is taken to the resident evil mansion. Now an auction is going to be held for the dinosaurs. It's led by Toby Jones, whose first scene is also a gem. "4 million dollars" "You're wasting my clients time. The auction is off!" "100 million dollars" hand grubbing intensifies. They introduce the only dinosaur in the film, the t-rex velociraptor. It's a weaponized velociraptor. If you point a gun at someone, the t-rex velociraptor will kill that person. That's literally how it works. So then Chris Pratt escapes with a single Shieldon and the two of them storm the auction hall, where they easily kill two mercenaries, because the other 48 were taking a smoke break for the rest of the film.

Here's a sequence of events. Buffalo Bill finds the cage with the t-rex velociraptor. He tranqs it twice, then opens the cage. He dies. The rest of the film is t-rex raptor chasing the main characters through the mansion.

I'm probably just scratching the surface. It's the worst Jurassic Park movie. And that's saying a lot.

GatoDelFuego

Incredibles 2 (2018) 8/10
Both CG animation and superheroes have improved a lot since the first Incredibles. As I just rewatched that film, I can attest that the sequel is a major improvement. The timing in scenes is just much more on point. The story progresses in a rational way. There's more Frozone. And I thought Jack-Jack would be really annoying, but he's consistently hilarious and kind of awesome. The best scene involves a fight between Jack-Jack and Rocket Raccoon, who has fallen on very hard times since Infinity War.

The Peanuts Movie (2015) 5/10
I really have to strongly express my appreciation for what this film isn't. It isn't a fart joke meme-filled movie set in the modern real world. It isn't even an animated film full of Hollywood A-listers with no voice acting experience. There's one or modern songs in it. I didn't like them, but they were no Shut Up and Drive. Speaking of, The Emoji Movie 2 trailer looks absolutely horrendous. But can I be appreciative of what this film is? It's a nostalgia grab for a franchise I'm not terribly nostalgic for, and if I was, I think I'd rather rewatch the old specials than sit through a complete retread. Great execution, but not much point in existing.

Following (1998) 6/10
Another really admirable low budget first film, this time from Christopher Nolan. Definitely a product of the era when he made confusing and ambitious films, but it's a bit unpolished compared to Memento. I guess a $6,000 budget can do that. Very impressive stuff though and worth watching.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) 2/10
I almost gave this a three, because if you turn your brain off, I'm sure it's fun at times. But if you try to follow it, it's constantly annoying. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen. And in action scenes, characters constantly just stand around and do nothing as danger approaches.

So the film starts with Jeff Goldblum talking to a senate hearing about how they shouldn't rescue these dinosaurs. "First we had nuclear power and look at that. Now we have genetic power". The senator asks him to elaborate. "We have genetic power now". It's like he was pulled over a DUI and he's trying explain himself to the cops. It's one of the worst written scenes I have ever witnessed. You could have replaced him with Tommy Wiseau, and you might as well have, because he's out of the movie now.

So Claire (she's the female protagonist) really wants to save dinosaurs and she drives out to the Resident Evil mansion of James Cromwell, the business partner of Hammond that we've never been told about before. This is the primary setting of the film where the characters interact with really only one dinosaur. There she meets Cromwell's granddaughter, whose mom died before she was born and it's a massive plot point that she's really sad that no one will let her see what her mom looked like. This was when I said the plot twist out loud in the theater. I'm too lazy to use hide tags, but if you haven't caught on, you're a fucking idiot.

They are hired by villainous badman to go rescue the velociraptor from the island. They take Chris Pratt, not Aubrey Plaza, and a random IT guy for comic relief. There's no reason for the IT guy to come. He doesn't want to be there, like, he REALLY doesn't want to be there. And he says out loud multiple times he doesn't know why he's there. Ha ha. Bazinga. Anyway everyone is like, don't tranq the raptor, because that could kill it, so they shoot it with bullets. Oh wow, Buffalo Bill is a villain too. He tranqs Chris Pratt and then tries to leave everyone to die for no real reason, as they aren't exactly breaking laws by going to this island and retrieving someone's private property.

Now I've seen a lot of composite volcanoes (pyroclastic flow) portrayed as shield volcanoes (magma). But I've never seen a shield volcano portrayed as a composite volcano, let alone both at the same time. Now in this scene, our heroes encounter one of those bubble cars from the first movie. Then a dinosaur shows up. So two of them get in the bubble. And Chris Pratt just stands there. I guess because dinosaurs don't see you if you don't move. But the bubble car exists so dinosaurs can't attack you. Then the door just shuts on him. Womp womp.

Everyone gets off the island and is taken to the resident evil mansion. Now an auction is going to be held for the dinosaurs. It's led by Toby Jones, whose first scene is also a gem. "4 million dollars" "You're wasting my clients time. The auction is off!" "100 million dollars" hand grubbing intensifies. They introduce the only dinosaur in the film, the t-rex velociraptor. It's a weaponized velociraptor. If you point a gun at someone, the t-rex velociraptor will kill that person. That's literally how it works. So then Chris Pratt escapes with a single Shieldon and the two of them storm the auction hall, where they easily kill two mercenaries, because the other 48 were taking a smoke break for the rest of the film.

Here's a sequence of events. Buffalo Bill finds the cage with the t-rex velociraptor. He tranqs it twice, then opens the cage. He dies. The rest of the film is t-rex raptor chasing the main characters through the mansion.

I'm probably just scratching the surface. It's the worst Jurassic Park movie. And that's saying a lot.
You only make me want to see Jurassic World MORE now

Hulavuta

Incredibles 2 was definitely good, but I think I'd like it a lot more if it came out a few years after the first, rather than 14. As it is, I don't feel like it pushed the whole thing ahead very much.

It's significantly less gritty than the first film, which had a ton of on-screen deaths (and a really powerful implied death sequence with the Kronos computer), skeletons, attempted suicides, etc. On the other hand, I don't think anyone actually dies in this one. But that's somewhat to be expected; I think most directors, as they get older, tend to be less casual about violence.

I found the villain frustrating in this one for the same reason I found Syndrome frustrating, in that they are both so good. But I felt they both got removed from the story pretty prematurely. They both bring up extremely good questions that the films never really care to answer. Evelyn strongly feels that superheroes prevent people from improving and taking care of their own problems, and she really does have a point. She also has a point about people being chained to media and not going out and getting genuine experiences. People are complacent, they don't care. They let other people take care of their problems for them. But then she's just arrested and then that plotline is over. Her brother doesn't even really lament her betrayal much. They never really take a moment to really consider if she was right or wrong. Black Panther I think did this perfectly, in realizing the villain had a point but going about the solution differently.

I mean, her motivation is basically the same as Lex Luthor's, who is one of the most enduring villains of all time. And the answer to that is generally "Superman should inspire people to go out and do good". And that would actually create remarkable continuity with Syndrome who was inspired, just in a more negative way.

And did Dash strike anyone as just kind of an asshole in this? In the first movie he was an asshole yeah, but he was kind of acting out because he had a chip on his shoulder. He felt like he was talented but repressed like his gifts were going to waste. He put a tack on his teacher's chair just to prove that he was fast enough to do it. But that was kinda resolved by the ending race with him not needing to prove anything anymore, and allowing himself to lose on purpose. Maybe I'm just projecting because I hate children lol.

Complaints aside, I did like this movie a lot, and I even saw it twice. Loved the family aspects of this; Mr. Incredible adjusting to being a stay-at-home dad was very touching, and it was handled with a lot of care. They could have so easily gone the cheesy sitcom/cartoon route where the dad is always incompetent and the mom has to do everything. Nope. He struggles, he doesn't get the kids at first, but in the end he is able to figure it out for himself. In fact, it's Elastigirl who is the one who ends up failing on her own. And more of Frozone is awesome, I'm glad they didn't try to redo the super suit scene if they knew they couldn't top it. They just put a little nod (and relief when the suit is there) and that's all we needed.

As an execution, in terms of animation, action, pacing, etc. it's probably technically flawless. I'm just kind of sad that it doesn't reach the same depths that I felt the first did, because there was so much potential here. The conclusion and denouement is basically what was implied would happen already by the first. It even ends with them suiting up to chase down a villain, just like the first. I strongly hope there's a third film.

Reactions: BKC

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
It's been a bit but I've been busy and wouldn't have had much to post.

FIRST OF ALL
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maquia+showtimes

Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms (2018) 10/10
One critic said of this 100% fresh film, "We don't even realize how deep the storytelling dagger is buried until it's ripped out of us." That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard about a movie, and having seen it, it's also the most accurate way to describe the film. In my theater, 50 year old man ran behind the partition so that no one would see him cry (but we did). Maquia is a true epic. The titular Maquia is basically an elf who is destined to outlive all humans. When she's driven out of her home, she finds an orphaned human baby and decides to raise him. The film spans a century, involves multiple nations in conflict, and every character has some sort of importance to the narrative themes of the film. Everything builds and builds until it explodes in the final scenes. And in spite of being a fantasy movie, it's very grounded in true to life concepts such as motherhood and grief. I'm watching it again tonight, but I'm already prepared to call it my second favorite movie.

If you don't see this film while it's in theaters, you are screwing yourself. And your last opportunity may be tonight.

The Man From Nowhere (2010) 7/10
Very obvious inspiration for John Wick. Much grittier, but less action overall.

When Marnie Was There (2014) 4/10
Everything about this Ghibli film is fine, but as a package it just doesn't end being anything I gave a shit about. I really don't know why. It's not as flawed as some anime movies I've seen, but I just got nothing from it.

Mamma Mia! (2008) 5/10
Better than I expected. The plot is decent. The movie looks absolutely awful. Like it was made for television. It's very distracting. It seems like they had a lot of fun making this dancing to ABBA songs. How much you like ABBA will probably determine how much you like this film. I think both are just fine.

Insomnia (2002) 4/10
My last Christopher Nolan film to watch. Ho-boy. Not following a pattern here. While Following was super-Nolan, you wouldn't watch Insomnia blind and guess who directed it. But this was a job. A low-budget film got people's attention. Then he needed to do a dumb, bland remake before Hollywood would trust him to make his more compelling films. Starring nobody he would ever work with again.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) 4/10
Up until now, every Frank Capra I saw was at least rewatchable. This one is just confusing, and more so, confusingly mean-spirited for Capra. The main character's actions never make sense, because he's insane? But then plot twist, he's not?

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) 8/10
Much more than a simple fairytale, Kaguya is actually a quite complex look at gender roles in feudal Japan, and perhaps even beyond. Stunningly well animated.

The Running Man (1987) 6/10
Stupid 80s fun.

Dirty Dancing (1987) 8/10
I did not expect this to be the 80s dancing movie to top all others. I certainly didn't expect a movie called Dirty Dancing to be an actual romantic film where the characters are attracted to each other out of much more than lust. This is actually a film about classism, fighting for what's right, standing up for others and yourself, all wrapped in the pretense of a simple relationship. And that's the sort of storytelling I just really get off on.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Cars 2 (2011) 4/10
I really didn't expect Cars 2 to be so much better than the first one, which is generally its reputation. But I think Cars was a bad movie while a lot of people who saw it as a kid gave it a pass. But Cars 2 has a much less generic plot, cars with guns and spy gadgets, and some of the action is actually fun and creative. It made me smile a bit. It's still a stupid kids movie, and it's score is lowered a lot by starring Larry the Cable Guy, who is just awful.

Cars 3 (2017) 2/10
And back to another generic Owen Wilson wow-fest. The great thing about Lightning McQueen is that he insults his opponents all the time, but when they insult him, he gets super butthurt and the music gets menacing so we know who the villain is. A pretty piss-poor attempt to send off the series like Toy Story 3.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 6/10
While most old crime movies feel outdated by modern crime TV standards, this one feels a lot more like a long episode of Law & Order. In spite of a few twists, Anatomy of a Murder feels like a pretty accurate portrayal of a courtroom trial, even mentioning that lie detectors are inadmissible for being bullshit. It's also pretty bold in how it stars a defense attorney defending essentially a guilty man. And I'm not sure in the end if the jury's decision was right or not.

My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) 5/10
My last Isao Takahata movie and his worst, but you gotta really respect the guy, because he always made whatever movie he wanted without giving a shit. This one has its moments, but as an adaptation of a comic strip, it's literally just that: a bunch of moments.

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018) 6/10
Better than it has a right to be. Sometimes very funny. There's also a lot of creativity you wouldn't see in a more serious Teen Titans show, like Beast Boy turning into a dragon, Cyborg turning into cannons on that dragon, and Robin riding the whole thing. But you also wouldn't see that in Teen Titans Go! because it's not an action show. The whole point of the movie's plot is that the Teen Titans are just a bunch of annoying retards if they aren't saving the world and defeating big bad guys, and like, YEAH. That's why people hate the show! Maybe this is a step in the right direction. Also, the Titans as characters are lame. Robin has a character arc, but everyone else just acts the same way all the time. Cyborg if pretty much the same, but Beast Boy has this hideous ebonics things going on. He's a white character played by a white actor. It's annoying as fuck. The Starfire is the largely the same except for her the terrible speech gimmick. And Raven has no gimmick but acts the same as everyone else. It's so fucking lame and strange.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007) 6/10
I got mad respect for this movie, especially the large portion of the movie that takes place in first person. But it's not nearly as entertaining as The Intouchables, the other French quadriplegic true story movie I've seen.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) 8/10
Dials everything about Mission Impossible up to 11. The real stunt action is absolutely nuts and there are intrigues within intrigues, without much in the way of plot holes. There is a major theme about hard choices, so its great that the film actually presents a lot of hard choices for the characters. Very fun film.

Millennium Actress (2001) 6/10
Very interesting film. I really respect the way Satoshi Kon uses animation to tell his stories. I just wish the stories themselves were a bit more interesting. It seems like there is so much going on here, but the story never actually progresses at all.

On another note, anyone see the trailer for Godzilla King of Monsters? It looks absolutely amazing.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
saw eighth grade last night. really enjoyed it, had a bit of a nostalgic coming of age story feel to it. sort of like a modern freaks and geeks, highly recommend it

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The Cat Returns (2002) 7/10
Pretty cute film. The only Ghibli sequel, you'd think it'd be low effort, and that's sort of true, but even a nobody director here was pretty good at just making a fun film.

The Conversation (1974) 5/10
A crime movie that seems more in line with Roman Polanski's early horror films than anything. Quite interesting in terms of sound design, but also pretty slow.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) 3/10
Critics and audiences scored this film higher than the original, even though it just reuses everything from the original, has no plot of its own, and nobody seems to be having fun except for Lily James. Lily James is immensely hot and this film makes great use of her sex appeal, otherwise I would have given it a two.

Monsters University (2013) 4/10
My last Pixar film. Who fucking cares.

Tales from Earthsea (2006) 3/10
Hayao Miyazaki famously ass blasted his son for making this film, and now it's easy to see why. I've seen a lot of people blame the fact that they tried to adapt four books at once, but that seems strange to me given that nothing happens in this film. Also, the film opens with the protagonist killing his father. We don't find out why until an hour in, and spoiler warning, turns out he's a cunt.

BlacKkKlansman (2018) 8/10
A very interesting true story, but also a very good example of postmodernism in film. You forget that it's the 70s when the problems are framed in a way to be so relevant now. Here is one delightful exchange (paraphrased) that shows what I'm talking about:

"David Duke isn't about violence anymore. He's about politics. Bigotry stopped being hip with Archie Bunker. Now it's easier to hide racism under issues. Immigration. Crime. Affirmative action. David Duke wants to help elect a man that embodies those ideals."

I always get tired of movies trying to use old racism to combat new racism. But not only does this film work in that regard, it's very entertaining.

Bottle Rocket (1996) 6/10
Wes Anderson's first movie and surprisingly different from his others. It's actually much more subtle in its humor. Usually Wes Anderson amplifies absurd behaviors in the real world by making his characters and scenarios over the top and ridiculous. But in this movie everything seems normal, it's merely shot and edited in a way that highlights the absurdity.

Alpha (2018) 4/10
Movie opens with a really stupid scene. A bunch of hunters are charging at a herd of bisons, who are also charging at them. Then they throw all of their spears, and miss with all of them. But it's okay, because they were just supposed to scare the bison so that they then all run off a very convenient cliff. How would they hunt without that cliff? Anyway, there are some really dumb things in this movie but a lot of it is actually well done. Mixed bag.

The Secret World of Arriety (2010) 7/10
Utterly delightful film. No idea why this director made such mediocre follow ups. The Secret World is an apt name, as the film portrays one house from the point of view of a tiny person as being so rich and extravagant. It makes me want to explore an RPG game based on the same concept. Would absolutely have loved to see a follow up to this film.

Crazy Rich Asians (2018) 10/10
A triumph. Would have been an important movie even if it sucked. Thankfully, I enjoyed every second of it. The comedy, the romance, the acting, the music, it's all top notch. Everything just works. And the production design is so ostentatiously lavish you'd think the film was a musical or a sci-fi, but nope, it's a rom-com.

Eighth Grade (2018) 7/10
At first you think Bo Burnham made a movie that was nothing but cringe as a joke, but then it gets startlingly real. People who enjoy Rick and Morty are in for a real treat. Guuci :mehowth:

Dog Days (2018) 4/10
Cons:
-Awful jokes
-Bad characters
-Bad acting
-What plot

Pros:
-It has dogs in it

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I've seen lots of Bergmans. I have a Bergman in my top 100. Logan is in my top 50. "Only one kind of boring, old, black and white film can be great." Yeah, when I was gushing over Logan, I was secretly an industry shill. This is the sort of pretentious bullshit that is making the oscars irrelevant.

GatoDelFuego

Ethan hawke--acclaimed superstar of the cinematic masterpiece Gattaca, which was kept from being a box office success by Big Business scared of making too much money from it

Really you could take "superhero" and replace it with any other genre and "people in tights" with any other genre steteotype and his statement would be the exact same :psyduck:

Really you could take "superhero" and replace it with any other genre and "people in tights" with any other genre steteotype and his statement would be the exact same :psyduck:
Now we have a problem that they tell us Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is a great movie. Well, it's a great Shakespearean movie. It still involves people in period costume talking in iambic pentameter. It's not Bresson. It's not Bergman. But they talk about it like it is. I went to see Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing cause everyone was like, "This is a great movie" and I was like, "Really? No, this is a fine Shakespearean movie." There's a difference but big business doesn't think there's a difference. Big business wants you to think that this is a great film because they wanna make money off of it.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
watching a movie a day until i go insane will keep this thread spammed with posts for a while. started yesterday and did 2 films today. will be keeping a list up to date here https://letterboxd.com/coconutstorm/films/

Tron - way ahead of its time. but also maybe made like 3 years too early because people still had a very rudimentary knowledge of tech. the world of tron is really shitty/cool looking at the same time. jeff bridges is in this, that was a weird thing to find out. this movie was really fun, but also really dumb and the climax / ending sucked. 6/10

The Fugitive - this movie is shockingly boring considering its about tommy lee jones hunting down harrison ford. theres only liek a single good action set piece in this entire movie. tommy lee jones fucking kills it in this movie though, as usual. 5.5/10

Men in Black - oh, now this is epic. will smith at the height of his coolness. tommy lee jones being his normal, badass self but given a ton of funny lines to deadpan. oh hell yes. this movie is extremely sharply written, tons of good jokes that you will miss unless youre really paying attention. amazing worldbuilding too considering this movie is only 90 mins long. the villain is legit gross and creepy too so thats another win. 9/10

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Ghost in the Shell (2017) - I have never seen the original anime and I intended to go into this movie completely blind. which i did. this movie was shockingly good, I had only heard bad things about it going in. I cant fathom how anyone could dislike this movie without being a diehard gits purist. the acting was all super well done, the visuals were fucking outstanding, and i really loved the gradual reveal of everything about the major. really truly enjoyed this. beat takeshi is a badass motherfucker too. my only real gripes is how stilted some of the dialogue is (mostly early on in the movie, it gets better as it goes on) and the ending which is pretty abrupt, i feel like hollywood isnt good at making a very satisfying ending idk. 7.5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)