SM UU Mega Altaria Offense

Hello everyone!
I tried, after a very long time, build another team. This is what I have. Please, help me fix flaws in this team, thank you!

TEAM PREVIEW

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I wanted to have Mega Altaria in my team because she's one of my favorite pokémons and it's pretty good pokémon in battles. She has amazing typing and is just overall good.

Mega Altaria loves being paired with steel types. I tried some other steel types pokémons, but Magnezone came off as the best one. Its ability to kill Scizor, one the pokémons Mega Altaria feares, is just amazing.

I needed a pokémon that can eat some hits pretty easily. I had some experience with Hippowdon so I put her on my team and it's been good so far. Hippowdon is also good Stealth Rock user in my opinion.

Moltres is my ground type immunity. It has a very good special attack, Fire Blast and Hurricane is just amazing with it.

I really needed a Rapid Spin user. At first, I had Tentacruel on my team, but it wasn't that good so I put Starmie in instead. I think it just fits more to this team.

I had to put in my team a really good attacker. I heard about Choice Banded Terrakion and I wanted to try him out. He's absolutely amazing! He hits so hard it's not possible.

Altaria-Mega (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return / Facade ?
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

I think that this is a pretty standard set for Mega Altaria. I don't know which move should I run, Return or Facade. It depends on the situation, right? What do you recommend? Earthquake is there for Steel-types and other pokémons weak to it. Dragon Dance as the set-up move and Roost for recovery.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

As I said, Mega Altaria needs a steel type in the team. I think Magnezone is the best of them. Its ability to kill Scizor and other Steel-types are just amazing. I tried to run Choice Scarf, but Choice Specs is, in my opinion, better because with it kills Scizor 100%. Other moves don't need an explanation, right?

Hippowdon (F)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Hippowdon's role in the team is a wall. It can eat some hits and recover from them. Earthquake is obvious STAB. Toxic is constantly lowering opponent's pokémon HP. Stealth Rocks are just needed... Slack Off is for recovery. I've won some games just thanks to her.

Moltres
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Moltres is just a very big hitter. Its special attack is pretty high. I think Fire Blast and Hurricane are two only moves that matter. U-Turn is for escaping and Roost for recovery. Flyinium Z based on Hurricane can just nuke something. I had on my mind trying Hidden Power Grass, what do you think, guys?

Starmie
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic / Psyshock ?
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam ?
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is my Rapid Spin user. Its fast and and I haven't had any problem with Stealth Rocks so far. I don't know about the moveset though. Can you help me there as well, please?

Terrakion
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Terrakion is a big monster with Choice Band. His moveset is standard. Quick Attack is for revenge killing.

Thank you for reading!
Have a nice day!

Hey Matyas13, honestly diggin' this team quite a bit already but I feel like it could use a little bit of help. So I want to start by addressing the mon you seem to be building around, Mega Altaria.
I wanted to have Mega Altaria in my team because she's one of my favorite pokémons and it's pretty good pokémon in battles. She has amazing typing and is just overall good.

Mega Altaria is really good, and for basically the same reason you just provided --- an incredible typing, with access to an incredible ability in Pixilate. You surrounded Mega-Altaria decently well, with a common partners in Moltres and Magneton. Overall, this team isn't bad at all. I want to give you options though, and I hope that by the end of this RMT you walk away with another route to explore.

This time around I'll start by providing the team first and walk through the reasons why I made the changes that I made. So, the first thing I noticed about the original team is that it was fairly weak to M-Aero and had no real speed control, but it was naturally a lil fast with some good speed tiers in Terrak, Starmie, and Moltres (kind of). So, really I wanted to go about getting some sort of consistent speed control while keeping the team naturally speedy to an extent.

So, these two really improve the Lati MU and provide you with removal plus speed control and pursuit support, which is good for this build. It's really a no nonsense core, tried and true to boot. [Note: Tect on Emp to scout for Choiced Fighting types, Terrak and the not-as-common Infernape]

Tsar is a means of beating like, Suicune and Slowbro and shit that can plague the team when Empoleon's pressured. It provides you with a means of unboosted damage output outside of Terrak and Moltres, so the team is honestly stacked in that regard. It also provides you with more answers for Sciz (to an extent) and Bisharp when it comes down to it.

Let's talk about the Altaria set. Since you got Queenly Tsar, Moltres and Emp on deck, your opponent is gonna be more tempted to click U-Turn than BP more often than not. I thought it best that the team had the option to lure Sciz as well as Amoonguss (iirc Blast with this spread is a 2hko, with or without rocks up). Don't ask me what the rest of that shit does because idk, I was given this spread by the lovely vivalospride and Accelgor.

Terrakion is your functioning rocker here because it beats shit like Rotom-Heat and Empoleon with ease, and with CONT CRUSH it levels defog Gligar as well. It's just... really good at beating removal and hole punching in general. Dangerous 'mon dude, dangerous 'mon.

-----------------------------​

So, overall the initial team isn't a bad take on Mega Altaria in the slightest, if you do decide to try the edit out I hope you enjoy it. Mega Altaria is a threat in the current metagame, and it's not a one dimensional threat either. This edit showcases what it can do outside of DD as a mixed attacker. Have a good day dude, happy holidays! (oh and s/o Darksafadao i think ull like the name)

[click for importable]

Last edited:
Yo Matyas13 cool squad you got here. I think Magneton works really well even if it isn't as popular as it used to be. Seeing as this is the core you went with I intend to stick with it and fix any issues I spotted. So the biggest issue I see is our lack of Speed control which can make your match-up when it comes to RK much harder. I also think your Latias match-up is pretty shaky as you are pretty much reliant only on Malt as Mag just drops to a +1 Devastating Drake.

Major Changes:

- So I decided to add Scarf Krook because the team needed some speed which this provides. It compresses a lot into one role such as a Pursuit trapper which eases your match-up against Lati and gengar.

- I then added Empoleon because you needed a SR user. Empoleon gives you a flying resist mainly to opposing Moltres to an extent while patching up your match-up against Prima. It also gives you a decent Latias switch-in especially if Malt hasn't evolved. Very standard set here and the final slot is up to you but Protect is usally most effective for scouting moves and netting extra recovery.

Minor Changes:

- So I helped fix your Starmie set by fixing the moves and ability. Analytic is really nice for the extra damage boost as Natural Cure is usually common on bulkier variants. So I went for the coverage of Hydro Pump, Ice Beam and T-bolt. Hydro lets it muscle through a lot of steel types which is important when things like Lucario are pretty scary. Boltbeam then provides good coverage in general.

- With Terrakion I made it Sub SD with Rockium-Z to increase your breaking potential but it also alleviates pressure Scizor has if you haven't yet trapped it with Magneton. It also breaks stuff a lot easier and utilizes the Z-move which is now free.

- I went for a Refresh DD Malt to alleviate your stall match-up. Borrowed the ev spread from Moutemoute. Explanation of the Malt set is here

<Click Sprites for importable>
I hope these changes help you out and the Scizor match-up is pretty scary for this team tho Empoleon + Starmie are there. So playing around with doubles on turns you expect Sciz is good to trap it with Magneton. Let me know if you have any questions ^_^

Last edited:
'sei. Here is the explanation of the Malt set. It was something I made a while back so this should also help Matyas13 understand what it was for ^_^

So the ev spread does several things which I'll explain. The HP and Def investment is used so you can live a Bullet Punch from a CB Scizor after SR. The Atk investment lets me reach 3 benchmarks I felt were important, one being to guarantee the OHKO with Body Slam on Latias after SR. The second was to guarantee 2OHKO Specs Primarina with Body Slam (Assuming you get the para on switch-in) and the third to 2OHKO Tentacruel with Earthquake (based on the Smogon ev set not the one on the calculator). The 4 SpA investment with a Relaxed nature means you guarantee 2OHKO Z-move Celebi. The SpD investment means you can eat a Sludge Wave from non Life Orb / Expert Belt Nihilego after rocks as well as always survive a Corkscrew Crash from Hydreigon from full. The speed investment just lets me hit 180 Speed.

Hello Matyas13 I see that some of my friends beat me to it but glad you made another team! I haven't seen a Magneton in a while so it's refreshing to see someone build with it! Yeah I do see the problems with your team that have already been addressed such as the Mega Aero and Latias matchup so I'll also fix up these issues with this RMT! I also stayed true to the initial idea of M-Alt+Mag so let's hope you enjoy this iteration!

My Changes:
  • So what made this an interesting team to change up is because I wanted to find a way to make Magneton shine and by doing so I'd have to pack slightly flimsier answers to Scizor that could still at least get it removed. By doing so I replaced Moltres and added Amoonguss who is often a soft check to Scizor. It also is able to blanket check a plethora of threats such as Mega Aero, Coba, Heattom, etc. I gave it an Eject Button as well since it pairs really nicely with Magneton. Due to Magneton's fragility you really don't want it to manually switch-in to Scizor or anything in that regard especially since the Scizor will probably U-turn out as you bring your Mag in or worse, it clicks Superpower. Eject Button support from Amoongus is the easiest and safest way to bring in your Magneton as you pivot your Amoongus on your opponent's Scizor to ensure that you get Magneton in.
  • Next up was switching Hipowdown out for Gligar and Starmie for Empoleon. This is a much bulkier approach to your original idea and Gligar and Empoleon are a really solid Balance core as the two mons handle each other's checks significantly well. Also since I removed Moltres, Gligar being the replacement of a floating mon was fine enough. Now you might be curious why this one has Curse and it is because SD Rockium Terrakion breaks through Gligar and otherwise would completely decimate the rest of this team so I have Curse on this set to prevent Terrakion from destroying Gligar (courtesy goes to Moutemoute since they indirectly gave me this idea). Gligar also replaces Hippowdown as your rocks setter obviously. Next up I have Empoleon over Starmie since Magneton teams desperately need a bulkier secondary Steel-type and you have a sturdier answer to Latias. I have Toxic+Protect on this set as you can stall out mons through Toxic chip and it also allows you to scout choiced mons like Banded Terrakion, whatever choice item opposing Nape is carrying, Banded Daunt, etc.
I kept the Mega Altaria without Façade because I felt like you had good enough answers against bulky Waters such as Toxic stalling with Emp and Clear Smog Amoonguss. However, if really dont like bulky Waters I suggest switching Protect out for Roar to phase them out and remove their boosts but Toxic+Tect is usually better to stall out turns against offensive mons.

That's everything! It was interesting to build something bulkier to the original team and to also make Magneton shine on this team. While this team doesn't have speed control, its bulk eases plenty of matchups on its own! If you have any questions feel free to ask! Happy Holidays to you as well!

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Curse

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)