SM RU To the Beat of Your Own Drum - USUM Hyper-Offense Team

Introduction

Hello ladies and gentlemen! I bring to you a powerful and very fun. While I was lurking in the RU chat room on Showdown, someone mentioned the Double Drum playstyle--running two Belly Drum sweepers (Linoone and Slurpuff). Intrigued, I threw this team together, took it to Showdown, and was immediately wrecking shop with it. Without further ado, here's the team!

Teambuilding Process

A suicide lead is mandatory for hyper-offense, and access to both Taunt and Stealth Rocks makes Archeops a perfect fit.

With access to dual screen and Yawn as well as the ability Prankster, Meowstic is perfect for creating set-up opportunities for the others.

Linoone is the first of two Belly Drum sweepers. It pairs nicely with Slurpuff, as it beats Pokemon it can struggle with like Bronzong.

The second Belly Drum sweeper, Slurpuff can deal with threats that Linoone may struggle with like Umbreon.

I needed something to deal with stall. Someone suggest Taunt + Nasty Plot Salazzle, so the role of stallbreaker is given to it.

Lastly, speed control was a must, and Raikou provides that in conjunction with Volt Switch making it a good pivot.

The Team

Kirishima (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Endeavor​

The suicide lead of the team. It's pretty self-explanatory. Taunt prevents opposing leads from getting up their Stealth Rocks. Head Smash is used as an attacking move, and it dents pretty much everything. It's the main reason I choose to run max Attack instead of max health; the extra HP doesn't help much anyways, and I might as well hit everything for as much damage as possible. The recoil damage also helps with preventing opposing Pokemon from Spinning or Defogging away my Stealth Rocks. Endeavor brings opposing Pokemon down to 1 HP once my Focus Sash activates, which makes them easy picking for later on. Overall, its a solid lead.

Uraraka (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Yawn
- Mean Look​

This is basically my mini-wincon. Dual screens gives my sweepers an easier time setting up. Yawn puts the opponent to sleep, allowing for even easier set-up. It also pairs quite nicely with Mean Look, which prevents the opponent from switching and guarantees sleep. In the best-case scenario, I set up one screen, Mean Look, Yawn, set up the other screen, and then switch out to let my sweepers set up (bonus points if Meowstic dies, guaranteeing that the opponent will stay asleep while I set up). I wasn't sure about what to run for defensive EVs, so I went with physically defensive so I can try and stop sweepers like Dragon Dance Flygon and Zygarde as well as Shell Smash Cloyster and Barbaracle. It's definitely a star player on the team.

Gran Torino (Linoone) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb​

Belly Drum User #1. The set is pretty standard fair. Throat Chop is used over Stomping Tantrum so I can beat Bronzong more easily. It also lets me beat Tsareena when coupled with the Speed investment. Seed Bomb lets me beat Milotic, Rhyperior, and 2HKO Quagsire. Out of the two sweepers, this is the one I send out if the opposing team has a Quagsire, Metagross, or Bronzong.

Sato (Slurpuff) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch​

Belly Drum User #2. Again, the set is fairly standard. Drain Punch heals it while letting it nail Steel-Types, and Return is used since its physical movepool is trash (it's also my move of choice against most targets since I refuse to chance a Play Rough miss unless absolutely necessary). If the opposing side has a Registeel or Umbreon, this is the one I send out to deal with them. With the absence of Doublade and Mega Steelix, Slurpuff can easily run through teams.

Midnight (Salazzle) @ Firium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
As things stood, this team folded to stall quite easily, so an offensive stallbreaker was needed. Someone had suggest Taunt + Nasty Plot Salazzle, and so I decided to give it a shot. Taunt lets it shut down stall's defensive antics, and Nasty Plot lets it boost up and break through the opposing team. Firium Z acts as a nuke that's used to melt through defensive Pokemon. I chose to go double STAB, but there might be a move better suited for the occassion. Overall, I haven't gotten much mileage out of this Pokemon (then again, its pretty hard to do much of anything when your main competition is two Belly Drum sweepers). Out of all the Pokemon, this is probably the one most subject to change.

Kaminari (Raikou) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

The obligatory speed control Pokemon. I primarily use it for Volt Switch, allowing me to pivot around Pokemon and bring my Meowstic in to set up screens. Shadow Ball hits Psychic-types, most notably the common Choice-Scarf Gardevoir. Hidden Power Ice gives it pseudo Bolt-Beam coverage. Not a star player, but it puts in consistent performances.

Problem Pokemon

Mega Bannette
Taunt shuts down Meowstic, and it can take down one of my sweepers with Destiny Bond. It won't run through my team, but it's a nuisance to play around.

Defog
Not only does Defog get rid of my hazards, it also removes my screens as well. Mantine is especially problematic, since it can Haze away my boosts and burn my sweepers with Scald. Mandibuzz can also use Foul Play to off Linoone or Slurpuff.

Dark-types
Due to the Prankster nerfs, all Meowstic can do against them is set up Screens. Slurpuff also struggles to use them as set-up fodder: Drapion has a Poison STAB, Umbreon and Mandibuzz have Foul Play, and Pangoro has Gunk Shot

Quagsire
Seed Bomb from Linoone is only a 2HKO. Other than that, it completely walls my team. I have nothing to deal with it.

Conclusion

This team can win games extremely quickly, the wincon is pretty easy to set up, and the team is extremely fun to play with. It's somewhat linear, however, and like most HO teams, it requires some good prediction, but once the ball gets rolling, its very difficult to stop. Let me know what you think!

Kirishima (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Endeavor

Uraraka (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Yawn
- Mean Look

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch

Midnight (Salazzle) @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Kaminari (Raikou) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Attachments

Dumb Sir

Banned deucer.
Heyo

First of all, let me say: Hyper Offense is probably my favorite team style, so that's a boon on its own, but other than that, I love the concept of this team. Double Belly Drum is a fearsome comp that seems like an absolute blast to play with, but I do want to give a few pointers that I've noticed while analyzing this unit of a team.

Here, I just want to bring up some changes that could be made to your team and their reasonings.
Archeops for Aerodactyl
-->

Don't get me wrong, Prehistoric-Bird-From-Gen-Five is awesome to see, but when it comes to effectiveness, Aerodactyl outclasses it. Endeavour is a cool niche, but a team with 2 Belly Drummers doesn't really need low health opponents except for maybe Slurpuff against some bulky mons like the aforementioned Quagsire. Toxic can be used as a bait for bulkier builds in order to break through (unless it's the Stupid Fairy Flower).
Meowstic for Uxie
-->

Other than it's Anti-Taunt niche, Meowstic should never really be run over Uxie. Uxie offers more bulk and utility in Memento and U-Turn. Memento in particular could give the Belly Drummers an easier time setting up.

These are just minor changes to moves and their explanations.
Taunt --> Hidden Power Grass
Because Aerodactyl/Archeops already has taunt, there is no real reason for it other than to predict switch-ins from special defensive mons. Hidden Power Grass acts as coverage against the Water/Grounds that like to switch into it, such as Seismitoad, Gastrodon, and of course, Quagsire. Hidden Power Grass also allows Salazzle to hit rock types for an OHKO at +2 or a bit of chip on mons like Rhyperior, Gigalith, and Lycanroc-Dusk.

Throat Chop
--> Stomping Tantrum
I understand the reasoning behind running Throat Chop over Stomping Tantrum, but because Linoone functions as a late-game cleaner and you already have Salazzle and Shadow Ball on Raikou for Bronzong coverage, I decided that addition coverage against Drapion and Registeel could be beneficial.

RU isn't my favorite tier, but for building Hyper Offense, it definitely is. I hope that this was able to give you some pointers on how your team could improve and I wish you the best of luck in the future. :>

Last edited:
hi! i realize im a bit late for this, but i wanna give my thoughts on this team cause double drum is a really threatening playstyle atm. also im gonna assume you implemented Dumb Sir's ideas for the purposes of this rate.

>
>

while archeops is usually the premier rocks suicide lead in ru, i feel like your team benefits far more from the spikes damage that forry offers rather than just bringing one mon down to 1 hp, which, if your opponent is any decent, is easy to play around by making the least useful team member kill archeops. aero's only niche as a suicide lead is outspeeding espeon, which isnt a particularly important target. spikes help you wear down mons like tyrantrum, metagross, and escavalier, all of which you struggle against.

>

stored power espy patches up your inability to deal with stall, and takes advantage of defog users to keep your screens up, making setting up against stuff like non-haze mantine and even mandibuzz an easy task. a scarf user isnt necessarily a staple on screen offenses such as this, as it can potentially sap your momentum away, even with volt switch, and screens make sure you dont always need to outspeed to revenge kill faster threats.

uxie should definitely be running screens - you dont need double stealth rock, and psyshock isnt particularly necessary considering you dont actually want this to stay around for a while, u just need it to memento out after setting screens.

fire z lazzle isnt that great outside of dedicated sun builds; sure, you hit neutral targets like cress and mandi for more damage, but it leaves you way more vulnerable to fire resists such as milotic. poison z helps patch up this issue.

i think throat chop is a lot more useful here than stomping tantrum even despite lazzle cause otherwise youre really metagross weak. hitting bronzong is a nice plus, too. forgoing seed bomb is an option cause of hp grass lazzle and espy, which also beats quag, although youd be a bit more vulnerable to bewear and rhyperior, so up to you, really.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Yawn

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch

Midnight (Salazzle) @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Espeon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

good luck with the team and hope i helped! :toast:

hi! i realize im a bit late for this, but i wanna give my thoughts on this team cause double drum is a really threatening playstyle atm. also im gonna assume you implemented Dumb Sir's ideas for the purposes of this rate.

>
>

while archeops is usually the premier rocks suicide lead in ru, i feel like your team benefits far more from the spikes damage that forry offers rather than just bringing one mon down to 1 hp, which, if your opponent is any decent, is easy to play around by making the least useful team member kill archeops. aero's only niche as a suicide lead is outspeeding espeon, which isnt a particularly important target. spikes help you wear down mons like tyrantrum, metagross, and escavalier, all of which you struggle against.

>

stored power espy patches up your inability to deal with stall, and takes advantage of defog users to keep your screens up, making setting up against stuff like non-haze mantine and even mandibuzz an easy task. a scarf user isnt necessarily a staple on screen offenses such as this, as it can potentially sap your momentum away, even with volt switch, and screens make sure you dont always need to outspeed to revenge kill faster threats.

uxie should definitely be running screens - you dont need double stealth rock, and psyshock isnt particularly necessary considering you dont actually want this to stay around for a while, u just need it to memento out after setting screens.

fire z lazzle isnt that great outside of dedicated sun builds; sure, you hit neutral targets like cress and mandi for more damage, but it leaves you way more vulnerable to fire resists such as milotic. poison z helps patch up this issue.

i think throat chop is a lot more useful here than stomping tantrum even despite lazzle cause otherwise youre really metagross weak. hitting bronzong is a nice plus, too. forgoing seed bomb is an option cause of hp grass lazzle and espy, which also beats quag, although youd be a bit more vulnerable to bewear and rhyperior, so up to you, really.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Yawn

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Throat Chop
- Seed Bomb

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch

Midnight (Salazzle) @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Espeon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

good luck with the team and hope i helped! :toast:
I guess I should probably give an update on the team as a whole. I did end up making some changes to it.

-->

I ended up swapping out Salazzle for Mismagius earlier. Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt with Ghostium Z were about all it needed. I opted for Substitue in the last slot to help it dodge status and ease prediction vs. Sucker Punch users (though Energy Ball might be better to cover my Quagsire Weakness). It can function as a decent stallbreaker and a secondary sweeper. I've messed around with both Ghostium Z and Electrium Z, but I haven't quite decided which one I like better yet.

As for your suggestions, Forrestress with Spikes seems like it will be a good option. Escalvalier and Shuca/Colbur Berry Metagross are solid checks, so the extra chip damage will be very helpful. Throat Chop over Stomping Tantrum does help me beat Bronzong much easier. While I am somewhat hesitant to switch out Meowstic (it's worked wonders in the games I've used it in), Uxie is definitely a solid pick.

Your point about forgoing a Scarfer makes a good deal of sense, though I don't know about adding Espeon since it stacks Ghost and Dark weaknesses (though what's the point of running HO without some risk?). Shaymin or Rotom-Mow (though I'm leaning towards the latter) might be a better fit, though I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thank you for your input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)