CaP 25 W Prevo - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP Update

I've redesigned my middle stage. I've tweaked the head twirl into two backwards tear / rain drops. I think this is more natural and unique. I've also smoothed a lot of the lines on the sort of membrane-y cloak, legs and torso. I've also made the shell more clearly Pink as a way to suggest its lack of maturity in relation to Snaelstrom, whereby the rocky-browns and coral are a result of the shell hardening perhaps.

I might try and do some more shading, but I'm pretty happy with it in its quite minimalist form at the moment.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Water-1
Not primarily based on any particular sea slug/snail. It has a little coral tail which is what slowly grows into the shell that Snaelstrom has. For now, it just sort of takes care of it like a little plant.

Water-2
Since Stage 2 is where the bug type is introduced, I wanted to give it something that would help make it understandable that the Pokemon itself changed. In this case, having the coral tail evolve into a set of large coral wings is what I think helps it understandable that the Pokemon is now bug type. I decided on this winged approach since I don't really like the idea of having a shell evolving into just a bigger shell, and a shell would predominately make the viewer/player think it gained rock type. I have dabbled on giving it a snail shell though, as an alternative, but for now I think this is mostly a settled thing on my end. I also made the tentacles shorter and stockier, just so that it doesn't take too much of the focal.

Supporting Art:
Water-1 with other Starters
Water-2 with other Starters

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

My base stage is inspired by a combination of a slug, bubbles and a baby's blanket. I wanted to emphasise that it is a pure Water type and not a Bug type by keeping its design away from the limbs and shell that are associated with the final design. Rather than a pair of antennae a single appendage on its head in the shape of a bubble gives a hint to its helmet-crown while also being more reminiscent of a Water type Pokemon. The slime membrane on its back is draped around its shoulder with a high collar, and aims to bring to mind sea foam as well as a baby's blanket, it can also give the impression of it having small arms, and potentially be moved around in a similar manner. Thanks to Sunfished and others on Discord for feedback about it, I have made it taller, shortened the blanket and rounded out its body more since the WIP design.

The middle stage acts as a bridge between the base stage and Snaelstrom. To show its new Bug typing it gains a snail shell as well as six visible limbs, four of which are strong sturdy legs like Snaelstrom's. Like the base stage its slime cloak is draped over its back leading to the lip of a collar. It also acts as its de-facto arms, giving the impression of distinct limbs underneath it which leads to its folded shape. This transitions nicely into Snaelstrom's arms which are located between two separate layers of the slime membrane. The bubble appendage from the base stage has been transformed into two antennae that look like angled water droplets, that then rotate forward to create Snaelstrom's unique antennae. The absence of a crown is deliberate, and makes Snaelstrom's a cornerstone of its design symbolising its regal nature as final stage Pokemon. Finally, the shell on the middle stage's back is a more traditional conch shape to differentiate it from Snaelstrom's triton, and is covered with red spots that visually signal the transition towards the coral growths that will later appear upon evolution. The shell itself is pink to once again differentiate it from Snaelstrom's more rocky shell and helmet, to make it appear more juvenile. Thanks again to Sunfished, and then to Quanyails in particular, for their detailed feedback and suggestions. It has moved a long way since the WIP design.

This is my first art submission so apologies if the shading and outlining aren't as clean as you may be accustomed to, and doesn't impact on the reception to the design itself.

Supporting Art:
Snaelstrom Line
Base Stage Water Starters
Mid Stage Water Starters

Last edited:
Final Submission

I'm about to leave the country for two weeks, so this is my final submission unless the thread happens to still be open when I get back. Only thing I didn't get to was adding some shading to the starter. Otherwise, enjoy my starters: a cuddly nudibranch and sea slug royalty.

Final Submission

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

And last but certainly not least, here are my Water starter pre-evos! The basis is on several kinds of marine molluscs, with a bit of a royalty theme to them as well. Snaelstorm is after all based on the Triton's conch, and a few other entries had a royalty theme as well, so why not mine?

Stage 1 is based on the Atlantic blue dragon slug, Glaucus atlanticus. It seemed like the most obvious choice, seeing as this sea slug species absorbs and concentrates poison from feeding on venomous jellyfish, perfect for Poison Heal. It was originally gonna have just the two flipper arms but I added the remaining appendages as well to foreshadow the legs of the remaining stages. Stage 2 combines aspects of a Spanish dancer nudibranch, a sea butterfly for the collar (because Bug-type), and a princess hat mixed with an orthocone shell. The last one also foreshadows the shell on the final stage, seeing as sea slugs do retain shells sometimes.

Hope you like 'em!

WIP Update

I've redesigned my middle stage. I've tweaked the head twirl into two backwards tear / rain drops. I think this is more natural and unique. I've also smoothed a lot of the lines on the sort of membrane-y cloak, legs and torso. I've also made the shell more clearly Pink as a way to suggest its lack of maturity in relation to Snaelstrom, whereby the rocky-browns and coral are a result of the shell hardening perhaps.

I might try and do some more shading, but I'm pretty happy with it in its quite minimalist form at the moment.
I am really down with this one. Love it.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Stage 1

Stage 2

I've had a slug in mind for the pure-Water first-stage 'mon, as the lack of a shell makes it harder to tie down to bugs. I gave it odango hair because the buns remind me of a baby's bonnet and are vaguely princess-y, and they tie well into Snaelstrom's ears.

I styled the second-stage 'mon after a "warrior princess". It has a ponytail, as those are associated with feminine yet tough figures. Its heel-shaped feet also evoke femininity. Its pose suggests it flaunts itself and has a prissy personality. It has an upside-down heart shape on its head because it breaks hearts or something. :P According to CAP Discord feedback, it apparently looks like a belly dancer, so I guess that ties into Snaelstrom's Pokedex entries about it inspiring belly dancers despite being a poor dancer itself.
Thank you to Darquezze, Mova, StephXPM, and warren685 for their feedback!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

Consider this your just under 48 hours remaining post! All the designs for all the starters look ace so far!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Still WIP (especially the first evo) regarding the colors mostly (thinking of heightening the charmeleon-esk darker vibe for the second) and shading. Probs gonna ditch the stripes on the shell since they don't carry through to the final stage.
WIP

These are my designs for the CaP25W, Snaelstrom, pre evolutions.
The first one is a little hungry snail, who like to eat a lot in order to "practice" his poison heal. I inspire myself in the clown fish, who rub themselves on anemones to become immune to the poison. I also draw more red algae, to function as a camouflage when they are in the parents shell, like snails do.
The second one is bigger but not bulky as the final evolution. They have less camouflage, a little bit of the rock armor in his body.
WIP

UPDATE

Edit:
I tried to mix the versions that I made, to get the best out of it
So, I kinda redo the second stage to be more unique. I give a little coral scarf, some freckles and stuff :)
WIP

Here is another sketch changing stuff with some feedback I got.
Hey, any of y'all plan to finish up your great designs in time for the due date?

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Final Submission
Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Here are my submissions for Water!

The base stage is a sea butterfly fairy-critter. Since this one is pure water, I decided to try and make it more pixie-like (think Manaphy), while still basing it off of an actual gastropod. Snaelstrom happens to be in the Fairy egg group, too, so I thought this was as good of an excuse as ever to go ahead with this idea. This mischievous Pokemon creates sticky pearls out of mucous secretions, and if left to its own devices, will relentlessly decorate everything in sight with them.

My middle stage is a fairy-'snaele' princess. Thinking very highly of itself, it tends to boss other Pokemon around. Its shell has begun to lose its luster, and it has resorted to decorating itself with corals it finds to counteract this.

As I mentioned in my Fire submission, a new process I tried for this CAP was making very rough 3D puppets for my entries. This helped me figure out what looked good in 3D, and what I could change if it didn't. I gave them pretty simple rigs as well, which allowed me to mess around with poses. This helped immensely with my final renders!

Supporting Art:

Base Stage Reference Sheet
Midstage Reference Sheet

Base Stage Puppet + Animation! (Over 500 kB)
Midstage Puppet
I'm a huge fan of this design to be honest. It looks extremely clean and I love how different the first stage looks then the last stage. The first Evo line that comes to mind when look at this is Goodra's. Very nice work overall m8!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)