Tournament Random Battles Team Tour - Finals (Winners: Team Hoopa)

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
ggs to Team Hoopa and A Cake Wearing A Hat for a tournament well won! It is a little disappointing to make it this far and then lose in a pretty lopsided week, but it's undeniable that Hoopas are a very strong team and fully earned their (second in a row) win. I'm looking forward to seeing the custom avi you guys cook up!

RBTT II is that weird intersection between casual players, hardcore ladderers, and actual real-life SPL players. It was not apparent to me which group out of those 3 would perform well + win at the start of the tour. I actually thought Diancie had a very good shot at winning it all right after the draft (they had a mix of SPL/tournament players along with some ladderers) and Diancie's performance for the first 3 weeks was phenomenal and gave me no reason to think otherwise. Things did go downhill for them after W4, though, when yvelts clutched out a win against them.

I think that and the composition of the teams that made poffs makes one thing clear: playing ability in tiers doesn't necessarily 100% translate to playing ability in rands.
  • Odd Della Robbia
  • Panty&Stockings
  • Irpachuza
  • TheFranklin
  • DarkFlames64
  • Perish Song
  • A Cake Wearing A Hat
  • Jacked
  • Decem
  • Roginald
  • TJ
  • RealMiwa

• Legendary
  • Pokeblade101
  • SnowyTheGlaceon
  • Lutra
  • Fitzy72
  • Betathunder
  • PlatinumCheesecake
  • LandFrogg
  • Kalalokki
  • Lycanium Z
  • Spunkjockey
  • bike waffles

• Sharpclaw
  • Mannie
  • PILZ
  • Anthonyy23
  • ihasdisname
  • sparksblade
  • TheCoastsOfToast
  • Theron
  • Cleo
  • a fruitshop owner
  • trace
  • Mitsuki
  • GaryAjax
  • DurzaOffTopic
  • Eltigras
  • Yay
  • Bloodstained Vuyj
  • Tenshi Nagae
  • WeepingDevil
  • Hijasu
  • lvl100blaziken
  • LL
  • Micaiah
  • Faisal
In general, these aren't big Smogon tournament names in the same way Diancie had Sage, Hikari, lax, etc. The way I see it, it's mostly comprised of ladderers. The only exceptions are the people in the Battle Factory slot, which makes sense given that BF is the closest thing to tiers that's currently available in RBTT II.

Of course, this is only the first time an intersection like this has happened. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out next year in RBTT III.

I said this before on the Week 7 thread, but this is my first experience in a team tour setting ever, and if you don't count the times where I didn't qualify for playoffs in RBLT and the time I lost R1 in UUbers tour, this is my first experience in a tournament in general. It's a very big honor to have made it this far in my first try and I have to thank my team for making it a pretty easy job.

And it was a pretty easy job, ngl. Most of that's down to having a great team that mostly handled scheduling and playing on their own, only requiring me to step in and talk to other managers a scant few number of times. To put it into perspective, I spent more time on the Celebi meme than I did sorting out scheduling issues throughout the entire season.

I'd say 95% of my job was completed at the draft. I'd spent a lot of time in the weeks leading up to it preparing a team that covered all bases, and it obviously paid off. That said, though, there's always room for improvement. One of my shortcomings as manager was that the only resources I could really provide were helping sort out scheduling and pointing my players to information (replay archive, stats, mechanics of their formats, etc). I'm not particularly strong in any format other than Gen 7 Rands, so practicing with my players was something that was out of the question. I think, if manager signups are opened up to the general public next year instead of solely being randbats auth, that should be a factor looked into.

I'm very proud of how Yvelts performed in RBTT II, and even if we came up short in the finals, we had a great run leading up to it! grats again hoopa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)