Project OU Player of the Week #18: xray

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion

Welcome to OU Player of the Week! This project will feature interviews from some of the most accomplished and influential users in the tier so that we can learn more about them.
-------------

xray

most known for: Playing actively in the tournament community for around 4 years now. Having the most ORAS OU wins in SPL (22-13) and being pretty good at it.
favorite pokemon: Infernape, I think?
most used pokemon: In Gen 6 + 7 that would probably be Tornadus-T at the moment. Just a very good pivot (and defogger in Gen 7) and you have a large flexibility by adapting its moveset to what your team needs it to be.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
I am 20 years old and from Germany. I am currently studying Physical Education and English in order to become a teacher one day. I just started with college like half a year ago, but I have had a lots of fun till now already and I am very certain that I am going to stick with it. Overall I would say that I am a pretty communicative person and like to do lots of stuff with friends (sports and going out in the evenings especially), however I also enjoy having some time for myself and chilling @ home watching Netflix, playing Mons or bullying osgoode the whole day. I don't really play any other kinds of online games nowadays, but I used to play FIFA with friends till like 3-4 years ago. :D

Where did you get your name from?
Ahah, I'd lie if I say that I knew what an xray was back when I was like 12 and first chose the name. I really don't know to be quite honest. I think it was because the Administrator of the big german forums (was big back then) used to be called "ray" and I thought that sounded cool so I just put an "x" in front of it. Another thing I recognized is that my favorite pokemon back then was Luxray so this could have also been a reason. I can just tell you for sure that the name doesn't come from what you call an x-ray as it is called Rönthenstrahlen in Germany. Lmao.

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
I think it probably was around 2013 or 2014 when I started to play Wifi on the german forums. Hassi and CBprincess really helped me at getting involved with the community back then and I had a fun time but decided to quit after a bit more than a year because I did not like the idea of Gen 6 and Mega Pokemon. Then a friend of mine called iZocker always hit me up for test games and tried to convince me to come back so I came back but wanted to try out something new. My next step was joining Smogon where I made it to the playoffs of Smogon Tour and became known after only playing Mons for slightly more than half a year again. And here I am now...

What’s your favorite generation of OU and why?
My favorite generation of OU is obviously ORAS OU. Not because I think that it is the best gen, but because I feel the most comfortable playing it. I know the gen from the in and out and I am very satisfied with my building- and my playing skills there. Truth is that I am pretty lazy at trying to learn new gens and especially building in them. I also hate losing so I rather stick to where I win usually lmao. However I feel like my BW OU and especially my SM OU skills have increased since last WCOP/Snake, so you might see me starting in one of those tiers in the near future!

What’s your favorite playstyle to use and why?
The playstyle that I usually feel the most comfortable with when starting to play a new tier is usually Bulky Offense. Simply cause of the fact that I think Bulky Offense can have a large variety of Pokemon and strategies. Nevertheless my goal is to be comfortable with any pokemon or playstyle. I would use anything that allows me or my team a good chance to win and I always try to come up with cool and unusual sets.

What are your thoughts on the current metagame?
SM OU is pretty cool at the moment. I'd say that the Zygarde Ban has been healthy for the Metagame. There are many strong playstyles like Rain or Stall and Bulky Offense is as good as always. There is much space to be creative too. It is just very hard and nearly impossible to cover all the different play styles and variations all at once.

Right now I feel like ORAS OU is in a weird state. Many people used to run Bulky Offenses that were really weak to the standard HO stuff like Azu, Bish, Volc etc. According to this some Pokemon like Quagsire became a lot more viable again because they cover most of the HO stuff. I think people need to start using better HO counters on Bulky Offense and from then everything will go back to normal.

Are there any Pokemon that you believe are overrated/underrated in the current metagame. Why?
In SM I think that Azumarill is like really underrated. It can be insane on stuff like Rain or HO. In ORAS I would consider both Zards pretty underrated rn. Especially ZardX can be very threatening vs many HOs or BOs. I feel like Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny are also underrated as the Landorus-T usage dropped a lot and having a good revenger (Fake Out) is useful and Slowbro is not too hard to deal with. I think many players that are less experienced with ORAS have struggles with some common bulky setup stuff as Clefable, Gliscor or Mega Slowbro. Therefore I'd call them slightly overrated, although they are obviously fantastic. It is just that a really experienced player usually knows how to handle them right.

Your main tier (ORAS OU) seems to get a bad rap in many tournament circles; why do you think that is?
I think that is because many people bring outdated teams and therefore turn it into a rock-paper-scissors game from preview on. You can't use Bulky Offenses that lose to HO right now. If you get a HO vs HO matchup the game turns into a guessing game and HO will struggle with some more defensive teams or other stuff. If people start to use good Bulky Offenses again everything will go back to normal kinda. During last summer everyone loved ORAS OU, the meta will improve again it is just a lot of cheese rn.

What were some of your favorite moments from SPL this season? Who has surprised you most with their performance?
My favorite moment probably was the game Ezrael vs SMB as I really felt we would make Play Offs being up 7-3 with 2 games in our favor left. Unfortunately we didn't end up making it, but I am proud of our insane second half of the season. :)

Ultraballz has picked up a new tier and performed insanely well in it and even built his own teams. I was very surprised of that and of his huge general understanding of the game despite being a new player.

Which of the official tournament formats do you enjoy the most? Why do you enjoy that format?
I really enjoy playing Smogon Tour a lot, as I still feel very excited to watch so many high level games at the same time. You also often see a good amount of newcomers performing well and I just think the overall format is pretty cool and the Play Offs are usually very stacked. SPL is a great tour too. Although I have never made it to Play Offs I am also always enthusiastic about SPL. It is an interesting tournament and you get to know many new people and share great experiences.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to break into the tournament setting?
Watch as many battles of proven tournament players as you can. Always think about what you could have done better in any game, no matter if you win or lose. And don't mind annoying proven players for advice or anything like that. We all started out as randoms at some point :P

Who are some of your favourite people in the Smogon community?
I am scared of forgetting people here but in general I'd prob say that the whole qf gang has been pretty important to me. Especially Triangles, crayon pop and Bedschibaer <3 Honorable mention also to the people who probably helped me the most at evolving into a tournament player and often stayed by my side: cosine180, Sweepage, Bloo and BKC. Besides that I got to meet many great people. Shoutouts to the MAGMA BIGs, the taipans, the den crew, all the germans and many other great people like BLUNDER SANTANA, jonfilch, Empo and other guys. Sorry I can't mention everyone rn but you know who you are ;p

Finally, can you provide us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

The team is a bulky ORAS team with a few mons that are considered rather bad right now. What I like best about it is that it has great ways to deal with the popular HO teams rn while still being pretty bulky and having ways to safely play around stuff. Mega Scizor isn't very popular right now because of many things like Magnezone and TankChomp walking around, but with this team you have many possibilities to play around it. The spread on Scizor ensures that you outspeed knocked Magnezone and can kill it with Superpower (the combination of Knock Off + Superpower kills). The team in general has great ways to deal with many popular threats right now. It has 3 priority moves and thus can manage HO with mons like Azumarill, Serperior or Volcarona very well. It has a very useful offensive breaker in Weavile and can beat most of the bulky stuff with the 3 setup mons. The Talon spread assures a great chance at 2hkoing Gliscor while still providing a good overall bulk.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in SPL that wasn't and who are you looking forward to seeing in WCoP - particularly for Team Germany?
Who do you think are the biggest up-and-coming SM & ORAS players rn?
What other metas are you interested in outside of the OUs you play?
What's your thought process with building?
Thoughts on the SM & ORAS pool this year?
What are your future plans with mons rn?

What advice would u give a newcomer trying to make it on the big stage?
What makes u unique from rest of the oras mains?
What is your fav tier besides oras ou? Have u tried oras ubers?
Nice spl performance bro :pimp:

Last edited:

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in SPL that wasn't and who are you looking forward to seeing in WCoP - particularly for Team Germany? Easy question: Mr.E and for the original auction Triangles too. Mr.E is pretty solid and good and by no means the teamcancer people always say he is. And I say that after teaming up with him for SPL twice. 3k Mr.E is a steal. Uhm for wcop I am probably very excited to see menci's performance in SM as he seems really into it rn, but I can't really tell what our line up will look like yet so idk.

Who do you think are the biggest up-and-coming SM & ORAS players rn?
There aren't many standout players in SM rn if you ask me. A pretty good newer player is FMG, he seems to have found his groove and played really well till now in SPL. I am pretty high on ultraballz too. Vulpix03 is definitely someone to watch out for in SM and ORAS too. And as many peoplw probably already recognized I had jonfilch helping me in ORAS in SPL so I def think that he is good as well.

What other metas are you interested in outside of the OUs you play?
I like UU quite a bit and I think Monotype looks fun, so I'll prob look into that some day.

What's your thought process with building?
Hmmm, pretty hard to some this up... I usually just go with a cool idea I have and try to support it offensively or defensively. So I think of some interesting strategies and once I have a core I am happy with I usually just start fixing weaks and watch out for specific threats.

Thoughts on the SM & ORAS pool this year?
Like I said I think that in the SM pool rn there weren't too many outstanding players and almost anyone can beat anyone. No one can beat lit af blunder though. The ORAS pool was a bit weird if you ask me. Like more than half of the teams had to switch their ORAS and many teams had some little struggles with their ORAS slot in general. Hoping for a stronger pool next year again ;p
What are your future plans with mons rn?
Well, I just REALLY started playing it again. Not gonna lie after my frustrating SPL 7 and my best friend cosine quitting the game my motivation was kinda down and I only played the big team tours to still keep it up a bit. However since last Smogon Tour I feel like I really wanna try harder again and I'll definitely try my luck in Smogon Tour, WCOP and OLT at least.

why do you always lose to i attract e girls aka bratt pid on the oras ou ladder?
a) that's not even true b) I am like probably 10-0 vs that guy c) he always steals my teams or cores after I beat his ass

you've been keen to how threatening pokemon like mega pinsir, bisharp, azumarill, thundurus, etc. are in ORAS OU for awhile now. why do you think people seemingly ignored them for almost a year now? also, do you think increased usage of these mons contributes to a "cheesier" metagame, or is it just a healthy response to the fatspam we saw for a long while?

thoughts on zmoves? a lot of non SM mains find them difficult to adapt to and/or broken... do you think they're an unhealthy element, or do they add another (positive) layer to play?

you mentioned in the OP that even though ORAS OU is your favorite, you don't think it's the best. what elements of ORAS OU do you find problematic? which meta do you think is best?

congrats on the amazing season. great to see definitive ORAS "mains" do well in the tier, as it definitely increases the level of competition (:

xray

how u doin'?
World Defender
thin crust or deep dish for pizza
thin crust

Favorite experience while playing tournaments?
Winning a Smogon Tour after I lost in finals around 7 times.

If you had to change one thing about oras rn what would it be?
If I could change the mechanics then I'd give Defog to some mons as the tier has great hazard setters but BAD removal.

What advice would u give a newcomer trying to make it on the big stage?
I already answered that above.

What makes u unique from rest of the oras mains?
I'd say that the wide range of mons I use it what makes me unique. I never really care whether people call a mon I use bad or not. Also well, the huge amount of experiences I have in the tier by still playing ladder on a very regular basis.

What is your fav tier besides oras ou? Have u tried oras ubers?
God, any kind of Ubers is the worst tier if you ask me. I am never going to play Ubers. Like I said I like some other OUs relatively well too and I am getting a little into RBY and GSC as well. And besides that UU is cool and Monotype looks interesting.

Nice spl performance bro.
Thanks!

moin wilhelm

What's your favorite Julian & Tom moment?
Which is your favorite beer?
Whats your favourite song by Wolfgang Petry?
Who is your German pokemon idol from the past?
Do you think I will have a similar breakthrough in ROAPL and OUPL as pasy_g had last year?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are your three favorite SPL/WCOP/Snake/STour PO games you have been a part of and why?
What are your three favorite SPL/WCOP/Snake/STour PO games you have spectated and why?
How the fuck do you prepare for BD Azumarill in ORAS? Fuck that thing man.
FMK: Ferrothorn/Cloyster/Rhyperior

What is your favorite ORAS team you've made of all time and why?

What is your favorite ORAS team someone else's made of all time and why?

What are your favorite little intricacies of ORAS play and why?

Most infuriating tournament game you've ever played?

What innovation(s) of yours are you most proud of?

Name an instance of a set you saw someone else use and had an instant eureka "I gotta use this, this is amazing" moment about its ingenuinity.

Dumbest set you've ever seen work? When did it take place?

What are your favorite BW strategies?

Top 5 best competitive Pokemon memories?

Top 5 tournament regrets and why?

Any hopes for SS?

Speaking of Regenerator, it's an oft-reviled ability in the last two generations. Unaware isn't quite as universally despised but also gets some scorn thrown at it when people decry stall. Do you think that defense needs boosts too as offense gets stronger and stronger?

Top 5 favorite childhood Pokemon memories?

Why is Luxray no longer your favorite Pokemon? It's the best.

I remember when you came out of nowhere and killed people with your MegaZam team. Your ORAS enthusiasm is beautiful. Keep it up man.

xray

how u doin'?
World Defender
you've been keen to how threatening pokemon like mega pinsir, bisharp, azumarill, thundurus, etc. are in ORAS OU for awhile now. why do you think people seemingly ignored them for almost a year now? also, do you think increased usage of these mons contributes to a "cheesier" metagame, or is it just a healthy response to the fatspam we saw for a long while?
I think people mostly ignored them because they weren't as present as they are now. It needed the trend that we have rn to make people realize they have to prep for them. It is probably a bit more cheesy rn than usual but once people start finding counters for stuff like that and use Bulky Offenses that aren't weak to HO any longer it will be fine again oo

thoughts on zmoves? a lot of non SM mains find them difficult to adapt to and/or broken... do you think they're an unhealthy element, or do they add another (positive) layer to play?
I don't know if I find them positive or negative, they are simply interesting. I like that they give space for innovation and new sets.

you mentioned in the OP that even though ORAS OU is your favorite, you don't think it's the best. what elements of ORAS OU do you find problematic? which meta do you think is best?
I just think that there is no "best tier" and if I call ORAS the best tier it is very subjective. As I said earlier already I think that one issue with ORAS is that it has many pretty good hazard setters but the hazard removal is really bad. So yeah, that's it. You are either forced to fit one of the few weird defoggers on your team or you'll always have one of the same three mons on your squad.

congrats on the amazing season. great to see definitive ORAS "mains" do well in the tier, as it definitely increases the level of competition (:
Haha thx, I'll keep it up

fav style of music and what would be a cool feature that you want on pokemon showdown? I don't have like a favorite style in particular cause I listen to lots of stuff, but I especially like music from the 80s and 90s. I'll probably answer that other question later, gotta think about it :x

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
oh hey its the guy who smashed me in ost r1 last year

even though you have definitely proved yourself in spl, do you still feel like you need to keep improving at the game? if so, how do you do it?

what are the best thing and the worst thing about competitive mons?

what do you think makes a metagame good or bad?

do you think there's potential for new innovation in oras ou, or do you think that the metagame will mostly remain as is?

are there any playstyles that you usually don't use? if so, why not?

xray

how u doin'?
World Defender
What's your favorite Julian & Tom moment?
"Boah alter geil ey unnormal ey"

Which is your favorite beer?
Out of the more known brands that would probably be Jever.

Whats your favourite song by Wolfgang Petry?
WAHNSINN

Who is your German pokemon idol from the past?
Sebixxl has helped me a lot in my beginnings and I am grateful for that.

Do you think I will have a similar breakthrough in ROAPL and OUPL as pasy_g had last year?
Hopefully oo

What are your three favorite SPL/WCOP/Snake/STour PO games you have been a part of and why?
I am proud of my first two ever SPL games simply because I brought lots of innovative sets (Tang wasnt used back then) and played insanely well imo. I'll only link the second game vs TDK as I think I played slightly better in that one. I'll also go with my ORAS game vs. Steve A as I think I played super aggro that game and it worked out rlly well. I think I played my best "official" sm game vs FMG in STour play offs so I am proud of that as well as I played a p tight game.

Second SPL game vs. TDK:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-38807
SPL 7. vs. Steve Angello:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-117254
STour Play Offs vs. FMG: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-410004

What are your three favorite SPL/WCOP/Snake/STour PO games you have spectated and why?
Uh... hard question.
Ciele vs cosine was simply played amazingly by Ciele, I have rarely seen such a performance. And Ben gay vs Stath inspired me a lot from the teams being used and simply because I thought it was a real cool game and it rly made me wanna start in SPL too. There was another game from Masterclass that I found really awesome where he managed to get his weakened Heatran (I think around 30-40%) back to full just because of many impressive double switches (I couldn't find the replay though).

Ciele vs cosine BW Stour Play Offs finals:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-168835
Ben gay vs Stathakis SPL 6:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-32950
How the fuck do you prepare for BD Azumarill in ORAS? Fuck that thing man.
I don't, yeah fuck that thing. (In general priority moves and keeping ur fast jet resists or fast and bulky mons healthy helps)

FMK: Ferrothorn/Cloyster/Rhyperior
F: Rhyperior cuz he's a chad
M: Ferrothorn cause that thing is so reliable
K: Cloyster

I'll probably answer to the rest tomorrow or so :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)