VGC VGC 2019 Ultra Series

Aight this is my latest team for the VGC 2019 Ultra Series.....I noticed a lot of people are running Groudon....I notice he is really hard to defeat if not handled right so i decided to try and make a counter team for the over used legendaries

Rayquaza @ Choice Specs
Ability: Air Lock
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Now i know a lot of people are telling me that Mega Ray is the best way to do it, BUT in this situation it can take out TWO meta used pokemon right now......Air Lock helps handle the "Harsh Sunlight" when Groudon comes out. Most of you are probably thinking "Why is this dude running Ray as a special", and here is why....Air lock with Surf and Choice Specs OHKO's a 252 Sp.Def EV/104 HP EV Groudon...Air Slash for the Flying STAB attack and chance to get a flinch...Next on the list Ice Beam to handle Amoongus when he comes into play and finally Dragon Pulse to one shot Mega Salamance..

Tapu Bulu @ Figy Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 36 Atk / 12 Def / 100 SpD / 116 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Now i know what you are thinking, why run Tapu Bulu on this team when Fini and Koko would fit better....Heres why, running my EVs the way I have it and with Grassy Surge can OHKO Primal Kyogre... Horn Leech for the extra health steal to keep it a-live....Superpower just because it's a super strong fighting type move and Stone Edge for the coverage that it's missing in this move-set.

Amoonguss @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Def / 188 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Grass Knot
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Rage Powder

Amoonguss one of the best supports right now to help out the team....Regenerator to keep him healthy when he's struggling to keep his health up....Grass Knot is for the heavier pokemon that it has to face since its based on heavier pokemon it faces (Note: it also increases on Grassy Surge)....Clear Smog to help reduce damage boosting moves that can ruin my team, Spore to put a monster to sleep and chunk it down with Grass Knot...Rage Powder, well lets be honest, everyone knows why we use this move, helps keep your sweepers safe from damaging moves that can danger it......

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 180 Def / 36 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn

Every since the start of Gen 7 and the first sign of Litten, i was always saying this starter is going to become an OU in the professional play and I was correct....With the ideal Physical damage out put it has you can make him anything you want...I went careful with Assault Vest so he can out sustain A LOT of damage being thrown his way, Fake Out to help out the first play of the game giving a threat a 100% flinch and letting your partner set up for next turn, Flare Blitz is his strongest STAB move he has as a fire-type, doing MASSIVE damage to those getting hit by him, Darkest Lariat is his BEST dark stab move he has, doing MASSIVE damage to those in his way, then U-turn to help get him out of situations that he can't be in but still doing damage to the enemy.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Another sweeper of the group.....Fairy Aura gives all the Fairy type moves so much power with the boost of Geomancy.....Geomancy increases its damage so it's best to try to set up for it once it comes out (the point of having Amoonguss)...Dazzling Gleam helps hit both enemies at the same time with A LOT of power behind it....MoonBlast is one of the strongest Stab moves it has and with the increase of power it will do MASSIVE on MASSIVE damage to anything in the way....Then finally protect to have it stall on what the enemy has on itself....

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind
- Taunt

Last but not least, Mega Gengar...not much i have to say about this beast......Ghost/Poison typing makes it a deadly combo for some of the Meta teams right now....Shadow Ball being the best Ghost stab move it knows will really scare an enemy in the way of it....Sludge Wave (or Sludge Bomb it doesnt matter) is his most powerful Stab move for Poison typing doing Massive damage....Icy Wind to help support those faster foes that gives my team a problem, then Taunt running this on pokes like Groudon that uses Sword Dance to set up its moves would be ideal to run on and then slowly chunk it down with shadowball/sludge wave..

This is my team i have set up myself with a little "investigating" on the teams being used right now in PVP.....I know i can add Tapu Fini in there as a support and could run someone like Mega Salamance instead of Mega Gengar to set up Tailwind, but the way I have Mega Gengar I think id be fine handling those...If you have an advice on what i should do or change or maybe a thought to making the team better let me know, i'm always looking to improve on everything

Last edited:
This is going to be by no means a rate, as I would have almost no idea what I'm talking about, but I have a few comments. First, the reason you don't see special Raquaza in Ultra series is probably due to Dragon Ascent being legal. Even if you plan on bringing M-Gengar to every match, it's doing more damage than Air Slash. Second, Surf is something you don't see in VGC, let alone GS cup. It does OHKO P-don, but what else does it accomplish? You guarantee a 2HKO with Earth Power, as well as wall most sets anyway.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance / Earth Power
- Protect

This is a more standard Ray. Try this and if you still struggle with P-don, swap Swords Dance or Earth Power for Surf. It is still an OHKO uninvested on all but the bulkiest P-don and at least you won't be choice locked or doing more unnecessary damage to your teammate. Also, you really don't lose anything by at least having the option to mega with ray, so you might as well go mixed.

The only other thing I can see is a lack of Z-moves and the fact that you have Bulu as well as Amoonguss. Amoonguss checks Xern, Ogre, as well as trick room, where as Bulu only checks Ogre. I think you said it best, Tapu Koko is a more natural fit to the team. An Electrium-Z set also nets an OHKO on Ogre and does so faster. It also has a chance to OHKO Assault Vest Yveltal, so there's that as well.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 180 HP / 116+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal in Electric Terrain: 200-236 (89.2 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Electric terrain does create an issue with Amoonguss, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)