Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

so my roommates and i have had this weird tradition where every semester we pick a weekend to make the burger from that one spongebob scene (on a raft, 4x4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim)

all i can really say is that bubble bass really knows what makes a kickass sandwich because it's probably the tastiest one i've ever eaten in my life, check out binging with babish's video if you want to try it out yourself because i strongly recommend it it's really that good

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Was actually pretty happy about the outcome of this thing. Original recipe found here (in swedish). It's a shortcrust cake with sourcream/cream cheese filling, (compared to the original, I exchanged the curd for cream cheese, and added raspberries as well). Against my better judgement I also tried converting the measurements, just to give you an idea of proportions and not necessarily the exact amounts.

Shortcrust

500 gram butter (~1 pound) (room temperature, cut in pieces, not melted)
10 dl flour (~4 cups)
4 dl granulated sugar (~1.5 cups)
4 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder

Just mix it well until all of it becomes moist, soft crumbs.

Filling

Raspberries (unsure how much I used, 4 dl / 1.5 cups?)
200 grams cream cheese (~0.5 pounds)
5 dl sourcream (~2 cups)
4 eggs
3 dl granulated sugar (~1.25 cups)
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

Raspberries are added later, mix all the other ingredients together until there are no clumps. It WILL look very runny but those eggs won't make that a problem.

Assembly

Take a roasting pan (mine was 30 x 40 cm, soooo 12x16 inches?) with high edges, cover it with a parching paper. Put half of the shortcrust on the paper, press and flatten it so that it covers the pan's space. Add the liquid filling, sprinkle the raspberries evenly, and then sprinkle the other half of the shortcrust on top. Bake the whole thing for 30 minutes in 200 Celcius (~390 Fahrenheit), let it cool off, and then it should be stable enough to grab a slice. I'm on a diet, unsure why I made this, but it tasted great.

For health reasons I had to recently cut out red meat as well as most things from my diet so I went completely pescatarian and decided to actually buy wild caught salmon from whole foods. First time actually cooking salmon and it was pretty easy! Just salt & pepper and parsley, and then just baby romaine lettuce mix to make a salad. I made the dressing which was just garlic, a tiny bit of salt, vinegar, and virgin olive oil. Turned out pretty good!​

I made some smoked bacon wrapped jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed chicken thighs the other day. Probably one of the dishes I'm most proud of. It also had some sweet jalapeno bbq sauce coating them.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What type of flour mixture did you use for this? And can you talk about yeast? I honestly wanted to try making bread on my own but I've been pretty afraid because I've heard it's hard.
I used 600g white bread flour to 75g wholemeal bread flour, though for a smaller loaf I’ve used 425g white to 75 wholemeal. I don’t rlly know much about yeast but the packet I used says easy bake on it—doubt there’s much difference between it and any other. Make sure to leave it in the fridge until the moment you measure it out and then put it back straight away.

The only advice I can give you is to just follow the instructions of a recipe diligently until you’re comfortable with the process. This loaf was made in a bread machine, which removes most of the “hard” bit of baking bread, but I sometimes hand made dough when I was a kid and what I always remember is how long I had to stand there kneading the dough once I’d made it lol. Don’t let the difficultly put you off though—all cooking is hard at first and just gets easier the more you make one particular type of food, and in the case of bread you probably won’t want to go back to eating gross supermarket bread afterwards lol.

I used 600g white bread flour to 75g wholemeal bread flour, though for a smaller loaf I’ve used 425g white to 75 wholemeal. I don’t rlly know much about yeast but the packet I used says easy bake on it—doubt there’s much difference between it and any other. Make sure to leave it in the fridge until the moment you measure it out and then put it back straight away.

The only advice I can give you is to just follow the instructions of a recipe diligently until you’re comfortable with the process. This loaf was made in a bread machine, which removes most of the “hard” bit of baking bread, but I sometimes hand made dough when I was a kid and what I always remember is how long I had to stand there kneading the dough once I’d made it lol. Don’t let the difficultly put you off though—all cooking is hard at first and just gets easier the more you make one particular type of food, and in the case of bread you probably won’t want to go back to eating gross supermarket bread afterwards lol.
Thank you for the advice! I've always liked cooking, but I really wanted to try and make my own. Bread has just always been kind of intimidating for me to tackle. I'll give it a shot sometime!

I made BBQ Pork fried rice! Marinated the pork for two days with soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, black pepper, and small red chilies. I used jasmine rice and mixed it with sauteed vegetables (onions, shallots, carrots), chopped egg and bean sprouts. I used the same marinade to add flavour to the rice.

This is a very simple and delicious dish that is great for meal prep, since it's easy to store for lunch during the week. :)

BBQ Pork.jpg

Last edited:
bought a bread maker and made two loaves today, one basic white and one olive + tomato focaccia. its easy as fuck you just put the ingredients in then 4 hours later you've got a fresh loaf. magic
I need to get a bread maker! Which one did you get?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)