Playoffs Smogon Tour Season 27 Playoffs - Finals [Won by Luigi]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won against ro, ggs. brother.

Got very lucky in SM, got a bit unlucky in BW (although i got PW misses), but I misplayed too many turns in there. The ORAS game was a nailbitter and I felt out of the competition during the midgame. Always a pleasure to play these intense games against a friend, and sorry for the luck involved.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-442503
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-442509
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6ou-442515

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Lost vs SoulWind in an enjoyable series. Glad every games were close and open 'till the end. Definitely a few things here and there I could have done better. SM is where I felt I missed my opportunities the most.

Good luck in the rest of the tournament to you :)

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
16. Santu VS. 9. xray - Both players showed a great display of skill last round. Santu was the underdog last round, and it's no different in this one, on paper xray has the edge over the generation they both main, and he's also better in both SM and BW by a small margin, I feel. I expect no less than a decent battle on both sides, but giving the edge to my sweet Jonas for the reasons stated before.

2. Finchinator VS. .10 Luigi - Finchinator has been on a streak for quite a while, and he does seem to struggle no more during the qualifying phase, which displays how much he has matured as a player. As for Luigi, I feel he's a player people sleep on a lot; while he doesn't seem to make major strides within the tournament scene, it's his calm and poised playstyle what makes him scary, and should he harness that aspect of his, he'd undoubtedly be a threat. Finchinator's versatility is more overwhelming than that of his opponent, which gives him a clear advantage on the building field, while also being a pretty fearsome battler. All in all, I think Finchinator is more capable of taking these series.

4. SoulWind VS. 12. Gondra - Gondra, I love you, but you played like dogshit last round and somehow won LOL. My opinion on this match will be pretty bias as I know Gondra a lot, so I'm aware of what causes him to be a little shaky at times, nonetheless he's a pretty good and capable player, who's still learning and evolving, so don't be too quick to cast judgement upon him @smogondotcom users. SoulWind, we all know how good of a player he is, so any kind of flattery would be pointless. The only way I see Gondra winning this is if he steps up his play-style and shows what he truly is capable of, but as of now, SoulWind gets the obvious edge over his opponent.

14. BK VS. 11. ima - Bro Kappa is an odd player yet pretty good in his own right, wheras ima I haven't seen much of him, but that's mostly due to my idleness during these last months, so don't quote me on that. I know for a fact though that he's good. I think these are the closest series of the four, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be decided on who gets the edge on the building side. I'll give the edge to BK because he's been more prominent in tours over the years.

Rooting for xray, finch and winner of sw gondra for taking the pink :3c.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
16. Santu (BW) VS. 9. xray (SM, ORAS) - Wow, not a matchup I was expecting. Santu smacked ABR in BW with a really well executed dragmag, and then somehow won SM from a huge deficit, with the Tectonic Mew tech catching enemy Magearna by surprise. xray edged out KratosMana despite losing his best tier, and I wonder what would have happened if his opponent didn't bring one of the worst teams I've ever seen in SM. He also wasn't impressive in BW, winning more as a result of matchup than any particularly good play. However, xray still has the edge in terms of experience and consistency, and those factors should carry him through here. I'll give BW to Santu because he looked comparatively superior in it last week, but xray should have a significant edge in the other two. Fun fact: in 3 previous playoff appearances, xray has yet to make it past the round of 8, will he surpass his record here?

2. Finchinator (SM, BW) VS. 10. Luigi (ORAS) - Neither of these players faced much of a challenge last round. Finch walked all over Twixtry in a quick series, and Contrary to past seasons, Ruiners superstar Luigi kept a Calm Mind while his opponent made some highly questionable plays, forfeited, and vanished without a Trace. As such, it's difficult to predict the result here. Finch and Luigi are both on hot streaks and even have similar styles, but I think Finch has displayed a higher ceiling overall in his recent history, so I'll give it to him. Should be a close series if we get the best versions of both players though.

4. SoulWind (SM, ORAS, BW) VS. 12. Gondra - Yeah, where to start... SoulWind had a fantastic series against McMeghan where by no means did he play perfectly, but he definitely showcased his high points and proved he's a serious contender for the trophy while taking down the former champion. On the other hand, Gondra barely eked out a win in BW against BKC, despite having the absolute best possible matchup he could ask for including a Sub Mamo that just happened to 6-0, and then proceeded to get extraordinarily lucky in ORAS with well-timed crits and misses sealing the coffin for two-time winner BKC. There's no way to say Gondra played well, and yet he's the reason we don't get to see BKC vs SW, which I'm very sad about. SoulWind should be licking his lips at the prospect of Gondra, Santu, and Bro Kappa standing between him and his long-awaited trophy. One can only wonder how fate will conspire against him this time.

14. BK (BW) VS. 11. ima (SM, ORAS) - An underrated pairing, and my highlight match for this round. Bro Kappa had a nice display in BW where he showcased a creative Zapdos set that carried him to victory, although HSA kinda imploded halfway through the game. Then he brought CB Victini in SM and HSA had absolutely no answer for it. ima brought some very safe teams and slowly sucked the hope out of Eeveeto, but I'm not sure he'll be able to replicate that strategy here. The clash between BK's wild inventions and ima's steady hand will be an interesting one. I give BW to BK because it's where he'll have the most room to switch things up, and I could see ima having a hard time recovering from an early disadvantage, which is easy to create in a tier packed to the brim with threats. However, the Italian will need to unpack some truly stinky cheese to unseat ima from his comfort zones in SM and ORAS. Expect to see some unique matchups here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)