1v1PL III - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1v1 PL III. What a crazy time. It's been over two months of hard-fought battle, laughter, not really tears, and friendships gained. I've been assured by Bale that I did indeed keep the bench sufficiently warm, although I had a week where I proved that, yes, you can actually win without skill. I think all of the heatrans scarified a lot for this team. Bale destroyed his computer and internet almost every week from pure skill, Joker sacrificed his unfeelingness and emotional distance to give team encouragement, and trace sacrificed at least 2 hours of possible anime time to watch our games or play us in chess. Although it didn't seem like much, I sacrificed a lot of irl time for this team too, whether it was trying to help teambuild instead of studying, dipping from prom dinner for a bit to ask about the landon/ryy match, or ruining my search history whilst trying to appease deg's catgirl kink. Although I think I spent an ungodly amount of time focusing on pokemon and probably disappointed my parents every single time they saw me on a pokemon simulator, cheering on people with names like "PrimalDaccinMegaShibaInu" or "CallmeJok3r", and just automatically assumed that they were either catfishing me or selling me drugs. Despite this, I didn't stop caring about pl. I prioritized pl matches over classwork. Twice, I forgot to write an essay for English because I was busy cyber-bullying our opponents (get rekt, Synonimous). But it was all worth it. Not for the win, obviously. I often reminded Heatrans of the good-old saying, "It's not about winning, it's about not losing" (sorry Escargots/Mega Rays). To be honest, I was surprised that I was drafted, and even more surprised it was by the Heatrans. I remember BaleBlaze saying something like this to all of us that weren't necessarily expected to get drafted: "I know that you guys want to prove yourself, and that's why I drafted you. People like that are going to work the hardest to do so". And yeah, we did work hard. We had successes and failures. We had happy and unhappy times. But at the end of this PL, it's not about who won, or who tried the hardest, or who cared the most. We play on a pokemon simulator. It's not about winning, and it's not about losing. It's about the friends that you make of the way. That being said, I have a little something to say to all of the Heatrans.

Landon: you were expected to be good. You were seeded as most powerful by osra (which is not a pure indication of skill, but it doesn't hurt), and you definitely didn't disappoint. Thanks for the raw displays of strength this pl, and I look forward to seeing you destroy some people in the next ones. % for landon.

Togli: I'd like to start this off by apologizing for calling you "toge" for far too long, especially since you corrected me quite a few times. Thanks for being our DPP man when bale was right to trust that I really am not as knowledgeable at DPP as I thought I was. You did some great work, and I'll see you around. Bon travail, mon ami.

alive: You were honestly a beast throughout this pl. An old player who could hang in just about every 1v1 gen, you brought a lot of experience to our team, and you helped us in more ways than just battles. Thanks for the clutches, and I'll toss you in OU sometime ;)

motogp: I initially knew you because I built against you for SSNL, but you must not have been trying, because I saw your matches in PL and there's no way I could compete with you. You were kinda bored playing in this PL, but you still got us some key wins and did some really great work for the team. Try not to get demoted like landon did.

Joker: Your teamwork in PL was characterized by pessimism and self-deprecation. You rooted against us more than the other team did, and rooted against yourself most of all. Regardless, I know that you did truly care about winning this tournament thingy, and really did work hard to make sure that it was possible for us. Thanks for the slight carry, and try to smile once in a while.

ima: My man, you were the hard carry of the team. You lost your undefeated record in semis, but you still went 8-2, which is crazy. You were incredibly consistent and almost always guaranteed us at least one win a week, and I'd rather have nobody else representing us in BW. Great work this pl, and try and shake your reputation for being only a BW player (if you can).

XSTATIC COLD: To be honest, I wasn't excited about being in a team with you. I thought that you'd be overbearing and yell at us for being bad. Not only was I wrong, but you were the opposite. You helped us when we were down and always carried the team on your back. You performed amazingly, and try not to get locked again.

london13: This has gotta be the greatest come-from-behind story in 1v1. Drafted for like 3.5k. Went 15-2. By far the best performance of any player this PL, and I'm sure that you would've been able to increase those wins if we had started you earlier. My only qualm is that you have a boat pfp. That's phiwing's thing.

Cash: From the outside looking in, it doesn't look like you performed too great. But you were an insane help in teambuilding, and I'm absolutely convinced that we wouldn't have won without your help. Thanks for the advice with both pokemon and life, and making me feel better about having terrible anonymity by doing the same things. I'm gonna manage with you one day.

trace: I gotta be honest, I'm not sure what I expected from you. To be fair, you had some stuff going on and couldn't be there for a lot of the pl, but did try and help out when you could. Thanks for the chess games and anime talks, and I look forward to you playing at one point.

BaleBlaze: Where do I begin? I think you're the first person off of showdown that everyone seems to share a mutual like of. You're positive and kind and always seem to know the right thing to say to encourage the team. Your compassion and understanding is what has made me such a fan of 1v1, and you're truly a diamond in the rough. Thanks for being a really cool dude and a great manager, as well as a fantastic player in your own right. You cared about all of us and all of this more than anyone else, and thank you for believing in me. This win belongs to you. Great work, and I'd better be in a team with you again.

Fantastic work, Heatrans. Waylaid is proud of all of you.

Congrats to all the teams this PL for an awesome experience. I'll be here for the inevitable fourth one.

1v1 PL II​

When I opted to be manager, I was going in to have a good time rather than winning the whole thing, but when I drafted this absolute godsquad with trace, I knew we had a really good shot at this. Thanks to everyone involved in this pl, and making this probably my most enjoyable tour till date.
Shoutouts:
AmirAlexander Thank you for making the best logo to ever grace pokemon in our avi, even if we wouldn't have won the pl we'd certainly win the best avi
DEG yogi for hosting the tour. While you could have been slightly more efficient, couldn't have been easy with nearly 100 people screaming at you to update weeks.
DEG Lol. Yes you were not in our team but you did A lot of teambuilding for us for most of the early weeks in regards to backing up ima and taking hold of Oras for the most part. While you were unfortunately busy in the later stages, I know you did everything you could have short of actually leaking the sets (smh innocent nerd), props to you for helping our teambuild
Joker 1v1 Contrary to your belief, I actually didn't sign you just because you helped me fill in xsc and togli in my draft plan- which I do have to thank you for. I feel you're the kind of player that nobody knows what you're going to get, probably not even yourself, and that is an interesting trait to have in team tours like this. While I didn't need you to this time around, I knew I could have placed you in any slot to play in an emergency situation. You were determined to leave a mark, I just gave you the platform to do so. Also you egg giving me anxiety by giving me wrong information when our team won that's how trust issues start to arise in people -.-

UBERLandon21 I know people said you were out of form up/etc/etc but I never doubted your ability to perform when it really came down to it ,and when it really mattered you got the win in the finals with 2 games remaining and after the talk we had start of playoffs I have full confidence that you would have beaten IC too if you two had played. Keep innovating wild sets as you have done, and I hope to play with you again in the future :)

XSTATIC COLD Boi I'll be honest you did give me anxiety when i signed you Lol :P. but when I talked to you before the draft, I knew you were going to be a valuable asset to our team.You were surprisingly co-operative with your teammates, and your prep help in playoffs versus Panchams helped us stay in the game. Youalmost always scheduled matches straight away, miscommunication against dom and kaif excluded xd. I do believe you're one of the best coinflippers in the game right now, and you have improved quite a lot since i saw you two years ago. I apologize for not being able to help you in teambuilding right from the start but many times it seemed like you didn't even need it :P I hope you continue to keep your temper in check and have more fun playing 1v1 :)

motogp I know you were the most questioned draft pick, and arguably an overpay, but I have 0 regrets getting you. You may not main on every meta, may not have the best record in the team, but your help in teambuilding across tiers certain clutch situations were valuable in our route to win. Also that dusknoir in that BW match was quite hot. Not to mention you doing heavy lifting for 2v2 teambuilding, making life for london13 much easier. You also had alot to prove, and I'm glad you were able to.

alive I do think that my moniker of you being the goatslayer holds true, beating the likes of dom,whaleeeeee, cp2, and cbb is not an easy task, and while they weren't the cleanest of wins a win is still a win. Your heavy team building support of ddp with togli was amazing. Both Trace and Joker suggested to buy you, and it's not hard to see why, and getting you for only 6.5k. You caught hold of any metagame asked to play of you and I'm really happy we got you in our team, a true team player.

ima 8-2 holy shit do I need to go any further? Always there to cheer us on, getting you for 7.5k was surely one the biggest steal in this tour imo, if not the biggest. Loved your anime talks in our chat(hmu with a new one btw) and your positivity was amazing to have. You're going to be a real nightmare to prep for in wc, esp with dom's support. Personal Opinion here but I do believe you were the best player for bw in this tour, and our spearhead winning this tournament.

TogliBabineBoeuf our ddp anchor for the most of the tournament, I apologize for butchering your name many times throughout the course of the tournament! Always a team player and ready to do play what was best for our team, It was really relieving knowing that you'd be there to anchor out our last game for the first two weeks when we were the last ones left. Hope you had fun playing this pl, and hope you play more 1v1 in the furure :)

Waylaid The heart and soul of our discord, our bench and our hearts, I absolutely love the fact that i bought you, tournament records aside. You're an amazingly chill person to hang around with and you still have a better tour record than I did when I had my first team tour debut. Really hope we keep in touch fam :)

I'm actually Cash The secret heavy-lifter of our scouting and sm teambuilding help, I knew you'd also be a steal when we got you for 3.5k. Glad to see you back in Showdown after all this while, and hope you stay around longer than you did last time :D . UsEast are going to enjoy having you!

London13 Full disclosure here, I know you were really chill from other places but I didn't realize that we specifically bought you until week 2 or 3, and that this was trace's sharp eye. You caught on a new format on the fly and did really well, even going rogue at one point and still winning which was really something to watch lmao

trace Thanks for co-managing this with me. You were an absolute beast in auction, and while we bidtogether many times I'm glad we communicated well en route to drafting in my opinion the best 1v1pl squad in this tour. Your eye for players like london13 and alive really helped to solidify our non sm/oras sections, and while you were busy for the first few weeks you quite fast to see us through the whole tour. Amazing co manager 10/10, thanks for helping with everything.

I have a feeling I'm still forgetting so many people but here I go

GL Volkner we will surely play on the same team one day
martha awesome user
Chickenpie2 WhalemanCheng and the rest of @PlayfulPanchams Amazing users. well played for the managers on leading your team to semis, we won with the skin of our teeth against you guys, any other day this was your pl to win. for what it's worth I think you guys had a pretty solid PL for the most part
Osra for managing replays and having enough brain cells to update scores regularly, and being quite the opponent to build against.
Kaif SolarflareRo Playfulpanchams 9y/o core that shit-talked their opponents into not being in a mental state to play, also bullied my smogon pfp for quite a while. Was fun shittalking against you two.
Freddy Kyogre lost heros thanks for support during the finals! thanks for polishing up some of the teams that we used.
ggopw double tag, but my match vs you was really nerve-racking and came down to a 50/50 with crustle/dnite. You've been ridiculously consistent in 1v1 tours since the last lt as far as I remember, hope you keep going on the run you're on!
Kowasabii carrying discord voice calls on your back Thanks <3 hope you're doing fine fam
Close WailJesus TonyFlygon SoulWind TheShadowClaw ggopw MaceMaster Elo Bandit dom for the most part I think you guys had a really solid tournament, really well done on that! ALSO ELO BANDIT DID THE SNUBBULL THING AAA
Whaleeeee for someone who came back after such a hiatus, you looked like you had barely any rust at all. Really well played capt' lets win the big one with asia next :D
ryyjyywyy you were quite the naughty boi in discord but always funny af. Also highkey scary prepping against personally, glad it was lando that faced you
Synonimous simimlar to ryy but u posted really awesum doggo pics u cool.
Iron Crusher Blazikin God tier users, bad sometimes tho
Rumplestiltskin pls be undead gen 8 is nearly here
Silvers_R shoutout for always believing in me even when you're not here, come back so we can finally win wc with asia!

Last but not least, these are my personal highlights. For some it may be good,bad,funny, unfunny, memorable,shocking,etc. So I'm just going to name it 1v1 PL Moments, and I know I've missed so many others these are just the ones I managed to note on my phone.
uop hustle counter miss,
uop bringing corpish and fly celesteela, uop breaking lost heros in his battle vs ic, uop using tentacruel and monowater,
all of stable prince predicts. actually everyone's predicts except lost heros'
ic hax vs lancer+ 2-3, and then going 2-3 for 2 weeks after that too
xsc epic comeback from 3-1 to 3-4 vs uop
scheduling channel which we can't talk about here
voice calls which we can't talk here about, but one which included betrayals and a plot twist.
many possible ghosting
rhyp vs jumpluff altercation cussfest
ryy being banned twice and returning and being close to being banned again
attitude wishes fc dissappearing-pazza being chosen as one of the replacements.PAZZA.
6-2 fa vs panchams, osra 0-4'd
Elobandit going 10-0 till week 3, pluffs having half their team 3-0 in series including sw(9-0)
ima going 7-0 before finally losing to solarflareRO
activity decisions deciding results in weeks

three greninjas, three zards teams in oras Matches.
kaif confidently shit talking through terrible results
Blaze turning 1v1pl into doggos discord/football talk now and then
pictures being temp banned in disc >.<
return of pictures! :D
Togli vs neomon series including that Togli vs neomon g1 match
panchams destroying the godly run of pluffs in surprising fashion, followed by Heatrans doing the same for last weeks
waylaid vs jyt series, esp g3
Dom getting alcohol poisoning and miraculously recovering successfully for his match vs Elo!!

~~Deg and Yogi regularly updating the week by bolding~ ~@ kaif,dom, lostheros, Synonimous, ToppyTopic, Alice, and ggopw making spreadsheet, osra updating regular ones and bossing replay/weekly stats

waylaid vs stable prince series entire series
joker winning with 3 dittos, going on to win the series too. 3 dittos. 3 DITTOS, breaking Blastblaze in the process

togli not using endure on slaking
ima, 3-0 sw subsequent ima 0-3 sw in finals

everyone subbing everyone week 7 oml

rps losing to bottom place Mrays in brutally surprising fashion

unnecessary posts by some people on Smogon
70% all Smogon posts

endure Heatran by ryy
endure heracross by blaze

Kaif edging out xsc from3-2 to 3-4 in one of the most unbelievable upsets in recent memories, Solar beating the previously unbeaten I'ma to record 7-1 himself- somewhere in the universe the balance of power has shifted because of the 9year old duo's seismic events

[redacted] hitting on kaif on PS and sending kaif [redacted]
the sheer number of rng events that happened in joker vs wmc series, whether they mattered or not
hosts being more interested in pl discord in Apex than said pl

blaze getting same mons vs *osra* and expecting different results[i.e: see meaning of insanity]
ima and London13 cleaning up 3-0s the tb following heavy shittalkin from both sides
Lando xsc and Blaze beating ryy,ggopw, and dom, something which had never happened till finals.
The entirety of Heatrans Vs Jumpluffs Finals.
Honestly thank you everyone for making this such an enjoyable PL. Hope we keep having tours like this!

Last edited:
So I wanted to write a little something about this PL, sorry if it might be really long but I think it should be said.

So I wont go through everyone on my team and in the tour but a huge shout out to the whole Heatrans Team. You guys were absolutely amazing and even if we had lost I had a great time just hanging out in discord with everyone. That was the most fun I have ever had in a team tour and I have played quite a few. This was my second PL and my second win (draft me, I never lose) but I have to say this one meant a lot more to me than the first.

That's why I wanted to make this post. I am about to turn 26 this week and I have been playing on showdown since I was 18. Even though I have taken some long breaks because of school, or sports, or girls or whatever, I have always loved this site. I dont know if anyone remembers when we used to just have lobby and it was like 150 users on because everyone still played PokemonOnline but I remember it. Just playing random battles because I had no idea how to build or what the tiers even were. I literally never even typed because I really didn't have much to say but as the years went on I made a lot of really great friends here.

No matter how hectic my life has gotten as I got older, with getting a job, moving states away and living on my own, Showdown has always that little escape. Where I can talk to my old friends that I used to ladder with until 3 am everyday in the summers but now they have their own lives and jobs too. It's actually insane to think back on how things were and look at how structured things are today (I remember DEG when he was a lowly regular user and I was auth LOL)

That being said, Showdown has given me so much over the years and I always wanted to give something back. I'm sure many of you know but I was the one who came up with/pitched the idea of making 1v1 have team preview with three mons. At first when they changed it I got flamed a lot. A ton of people gave me a hard time saying that I ruined 1v1 and all stuff like that. But now to come back and get to see what 1v1 has become and see how big the community is, it means a lot to me.

So a special shoutout to Baleblaze for drafting me and giving me the chance to participate even though he knew I'm old and washed and had absolutely 0 idea about any of the metas. It serious meant a lot to me just to get to be part of the team and hang out.

My second shoutout goes to Waylaid and basically every other younger guy/girl who played in this, or plays in any tour. Enjoy them. Win or lose just have fun, in the end it's just a game. Whether you play Showdown for a few months, 5 years, 10 years. Just enjoy the game and enjoy the memories and the friends you make.

So that's all, thank you everyone who took part in this PL and I hope you all had at least some fun.

Last edited:
So I wanted to write a little something about this PL, sorry if it might be really long but I think it should be said.

So I wont go through everyone on my team and in the tour but a huge shout out to the whole Heatrans Team. You guys were absolutely amazing and even if we had lost I had a great time just hanging out in discord with everyone. That was the most fun I have ever had in a team tour and I have played quite a few. This was my second PL and my second win (draft me, I never lose) but I have to say this one meant a lot more to me than the first.

That's why I wanted to make this post. I am about to turn 26 this week and I have been playing on showdown since I was 18. Even though I have taken some long breaks because of school, or sports, or girls or whatever, I have always loved this site. I dont know if anyone remembers when we used to just have lobby and it was like 150 users on because everyone still played PokemonOnline but I remember it. Just playing random battles because I had no idea how to build or what the tiers even were. I literally never even typed because I really didn't have much to say but as the years went on I made a lot of really great friends here.

No matter how hectic my life has gotten as I got older, with getting a job, moving states away and living on my own, Showdown has always that little escape. Where I can talk to my old friends that I used to ladder with until 3 am everyday in the summers but now they have their own lives and jobs too. It's actually insane to think back on how things were and look at how structured things are today (I remember DEG when he was a lowly regular user and I was auth LOL)

That being said, Showdown has given me so much over the years and I always wanted to give something back. I'm sure many of you know but I was the one who came up with/pitched the idea of making 1v1 have team preview with three mons. At first when they changed it I got flamed a lot. A ton of people gave me a hard time saying that I ruined 1v1 and all stuff like that. But now to come back and get to see what 1v1 has become and see how big the community is, it means a lot to me.

So a special shoutout to Baleblaze for drafting me and giving me the chance to participate even though he knew I'm old and washed and had absolutely 0 idea about any of the metas. It serious meant a lot to me just to get to be part of the team and hang out.

My second shoutout goes to Waylaid and basically every other younger guy/girl who played in this, or plays in any tour. Enjoy them. Win or lose just have fun, in the end it's just a game. Whether you play Showdown for a few months, 5 years, 10 years. Just enjoy the game and enjoy the memories and the friends you make.

So that's all, thank you everyone who took part in this PL and I hope you all had at least some fun.

Love how I'm not thanked for giving you my spot so you could play... <3 ya cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)