Tournament PUPL V General Discussion Thread

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Apparently some people thought that the way I drafted was relatively mean so I will continue my streak of villainy by giving my honest power rankings and making everybody mad at me in the process.

Dedennes: HJAD, Tricking, Rexus, Charmflash, Teddeh, Finchinator, Triangles, dibs, Jarii, mael, poh, DurzaOffTopic

The Dedennes are the most competitive team in the game and probably the team to beat. Several of these players could be volatile but I think HJAD put some thought into team synergy to minimize potential friction. If any problems arise on this team it will be in the older gens, Durza can cover BW or DPP but is unproven in a PU tournament setting, Triangles is similarly a relative unknown within the PU community, and otherwise not many people here could fill these slots too well to my knowledge, at least not without taking someone out of SM. That said, both Durza and Triangles have the potential to do well or at least decently enough. ORAS is currently covered by Teddeh who is highly esteemed but does come out of two consecutive disappointing editions of PUPL, in addition he is known for some exploitable building tendencies so we'll see how this turns out. As far as SM is concerned HJAD has a solid roster of two Tricking slots and a few other tour players who can generally be expected to be reliable. A couple solid builders on the bench round out the team fairly well, assuming the Dedennes' oldgens don't crash and burn this team should be the one to beat this edition of PUPL.

Haunters: TJ, Ktütverde, Kushalos, Rodriblutar, lockjaw, Sam I Yam, Specs, KW, GeneralAnnoyance, Raseri

Voted #1 most likely to lose weeks due to activity problems, TJ's team finds itself near the bottom of the rankings not because of a lack of quality on an individual basis but moreso because it's not likely to work as a team. Having only 2 subs could be justifiable if it weren't for the fact that multiple of these players could end up being unreliable. ktüt and Rodri may have to be convinced to try their best, Sam works so much and has so little free time he's bound to be subbed out at least twice, and Kush has indicated he'll be less active. Kush and Rodri on the same team is sorta weird since both are most effectively utilized in ORAS, and their BW could go either way with KW being a bit of a wildcard and Raseri being less than impressive as a player. DPP and SM look solid, but with the latter the question again remains whether or not people can consistently get their games done. If TJ can overcome the aforementioned issues, we're looking at a team with potential, but it is equally likely that the team will more or less fall apart within a few weeks.

Octilleries: Taskr, Chloe, Drud, tondas, Xiri, jonago, Akir, yedla, tlenit1, Gunner Rohan, Chrisloud1, Luthier, RawMelon

It seems to be a trend that every LTPL has at least one so-called "mainer team" and here is this PUPL's edition. This is the kind of team I would personally deem perfectly average in most ways, full of people who are perfectly capable of holding their own but who probably will struggle to set some really impressive records. Taskr is the obvious #1 in this lineup but after last PUPL he seems to have gone through somewhat of a slump, it remains to be seen if this is the tour where he reestablishes himself as one of the people at the top or if the disappointing results continue. Chloe has made a bit of a name for herself as of late and Xiri has generally been decent in PU tours so we can expect them to do fine, I have also seen the names jonago, tondas, and yedla often enough to assume that they're not bad but frankly I can't really rate them. The oldgens continue the trend of self-sufficient and competent but not outstanding, they'll most likely do well vs the teams that put less thought into their oldgens but I doubt they can stand tall against the Shaneghouls and Rodriblutars of this tour. Akir is a decent buy as a builder but seems sorta wasted on a team where pretty much everybody already plays these tiers. Pound for pound this team is not very impressive from a competitive point of view, they may win a week or two but I doubt they're serious finals contenders.

Kinglers: Pearl, TSR, 2xTheTap, Jmash324, Realistic Waters, Raiza, Aaronboyer, Serene Grace, lax, gasquakee, Osh, gum, Watchog

A bit of a weird team and one I struggle to see much coherence in, I find it difficult to imagine that the Kinglers stand much of a chance. Again, the oldgens seem the spottiest. ORAS could be covered very well by Pearl but is currently covered by gasquakee, who has not been present for several PUPLs in a row after doing well in the first two. I doubt he can stand tall in an environment that is significantly more competitive than the PUPL of yore. Aaronboyer meanwhile has the benefit of being a BW PU "main" of sorts but who is not among the most experienced tournament players by a long shot and I don't even know if Realistic Waters has ever touched DPP (remember when they had GeneralAnnoyance and traded him for Aaronboyer? Not sure if I agreed with that trade but oh well). Their SM looks fine, the aforementioned Pearl finds himself in SM where he should be able to put up a good record by virtue of simply having one of the highest skill ceilings of all players in this tournament, lax also can do well with good team support, and the other slots look decent enough to win at least a few games. Some PU mains appear to be really high on Jmash but I can't quite say I know much about him. The bench is not too impressive, they may be able to account for the team support that a few players will need though, although none of them stand out to me as being particularly amazing.

Misdreavus: Evigaro, Shaneghoul, LordST, Gondra, yogi, Chill Shadow, Urusius, Eternally, Kiyo, Feliburn, obii, banks

Evigaro spent astronomic amounts on Shane and LST so she had to sit out a lot of the auction, nevertheless what she came up with is more than competent. Having LST is very useful on this team full of players who require building support and I assume his worth will be higher than his individual record will show. SM can be filled up by just about anyone, I will say they lack the kind of names here who are more or less guaranteed to go 4-1 or 5-0 though. ORAS and BW are covered very well between Shane and Evi, banks has apparently played some DPP PU which speaks to her advantage but she's not a favorite in the field as far as I know. Overall though, this team is an ensemble of names that are well known in other tiers and who I have confidence in. Despite yogi's presence, I expect this team to do well and finish in the upper half.

Not counting my own team, my rankings would be something like this: Dedennes > Misdreavus > Octilleries > Haunters > Kinglers. The bottom 3 I find harder to rank and they deserve their places for different reasons, so for example while I do not expect the Haunters to do well I think that going by individual player skill they would have a better shot at making finals than the other two. The Dedennes and Misdreavus rise to the top simply because I feel there was more of a solid plan behind their drafts and because they mostly cover their bases well enough, whereas other teams I feel have more holes that can be exploited. Thanks for reading bro's

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

For the people who don't want to sit through a bad podcast, slight summary is Octilleries < Kinglers, Missies < Dedennes, Victreebels, Haunters. If you want those to be more ordered than that, within subrank is approximately what I think while HJAD would move Dedennes to the top because of course he would. While I'd give Octilleries a much longer shot of reaching playoffs, every team looks strong enough to at least tie every week and I really couldn't say how things are going to shake out.
For what it's worth, I can't fault Robert on his skepticism of the Haunters, the main reason our estimations vary so drastically is that I think TJ is going to keep them together and prepping and playing games long enough to actually utilize how terrifying the lineup is. Despite ranking them first, I'd also agree that they've got the second largest chance of not making playoffs (although personally I'd place the Octilleries behind them, not the Kinglers).
Real hyped just to be watching a lot of this from the sidelines, lots of fun matchups starting from week 1, go gasquakee.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
S/o to everyone on the Haunters and our great manager TJ things didn't go as well as we hoped but you continuously checked up on every player, tested when we needed it, and kept us motivated :] I'm glad to have been apart of another PUPL and continue to grow as a player

i'd like to thank my brotha TONE114 for drafting me, and i'm super grateful that i was picked up at all, let alone at like 6k. not gonna lie i definitely could have done way better than i did, especially when two of my three losses were 100% winnable on my end but i let my lack of confidence get the better of me on a couple crucial turns. I was pleasantly surprised that I did sorta okay in BW considering I first started playing the tier literally 3 weeks ago as a sub completely by accident, so yeah lol. eventually i think i can get over some problems i had in some of my games (see: w1 and w5 where i had a perfect chance of winning but i psyched myself up and didnt make the safe guaranteed plays) and then start to truly grow as a player. maybe with more than three week's practice and maybe a dozen test games i can truly rock at something like gen 5 pu. that's all, s/o Chloe, Taskr, Akir, tlenit1, and everybody else on my team for being good lads to talk and plan with. we'll get em next year

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
So we're out now. It's been a wild ride for sure, and I definitely enjoyed the experience. There were some really stressful parts, like when the team was losing and we thought we were out, but full credit to the team for not getting dejected and still trying their best. I'm really proud of everyone's effort so I will give a full shoutouts.

2xTheTap- the amount of effort you put into your building and checking teams was incredible, shame they all couldn't work. And thanks too for practically being my assistant manager at times, very much appreciated
gum- I think you contributed more to than anyone else to building our teams. There was absolutely no way we even made it this far without you churning out build after build, and your record doesn't reflect how good you are. Keep improving!
Watchog- you were always there when I needed you, and I love how much dedication you showed to the team and PU. stick around!
Pearl- sucks you couldn't show your best in ORAS but your passion for the tier is infectious. Great to team with you again
gasquakee- your positive energy was always appreciated and you're still the ORAS king! Stick around a bit, was nice to see you
Jmash- really surprised me with those clutch plays, looking forward to seeing you more in the future!
lax- The GOAT pokemon player (seriously) and 15k steal. Always a pleasure teaming with you
TSR- Another man who put an incredible effort into teambuilding. Shame your record wasn't the best but
Serene Grace- For doing your best being put in tiers you absolutely knew nothing about is impressive
col49- Idk how you come up with those spreads of yours but they're fantastic. You were everything I could ask for in a midseason pick
Aaronboyer- thanks for the BW help, hope you continue to grow as a player and person
Realistic Waters- shame you kind of disappeared but you're cute af
and Raiza sorry I forgot you but you're awesome

thanks to all the helpers as well! Toy Time King GeneralAnnoyance Kingler12345 Specs @slurmz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)