The World Cup of Pokémon 2019 - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Btw its a shame wcop has started without the custom avatars, whats the point of making them then, same with PRs.
Unfortunately we have to submit the avatar request all at once, and some teams still haven't given us the full list of PS alts for their roster. Looks like two more captains sent in their lists this morning, though, so hopefully they should be live relatively soon and the majority of games will have them.

Can't really speak for PRs, as that isn't something coordinated by TDs and I haven't been involved in that process so I don't really know what stage it's at.

rby predicts
RBY OU #2:
Lusch / roudolf13 / Nails / Hipmonlee

nice to see a another group of death this year and even nicer that im not in the mix myself this time!
Nails has been in great shape the last couple of months: 7-2 in spl, followed up by 4-3 in roapl, still in cup. He seems to wield his unique style of teams to a higher level lately, even kickstarting a bit of a revolution in the tier itself. His competition is tough, but if his form keeps up and the freeze gods are happy, he should top this group.
Selecting a runner up in this group is hard: Hipmonlee's a way better player than he led the community to believe in SPL X. Seeing how this is also an official team tour, he'll keep the amount of kabutops and other goons to a minimum. Lusch has been playing on PP and getting results recently after not competing in SPL.

I'm still putting laddergod Roudoulf for the 2nd place though. His swift ascend from ladder noob to world class RBY player over the course of SPL 9 and WCoP '18 into a full blown break right after that's lasted until now has subsequently lifted his playing status to legendary levels. There's no recent evidence to back up this claim though and the usage rate of certain mons and sets have certainly changed. Can the Greek enigma live up to the hype on his big return? I'm betting on the 95 GXE man.

RBY OU #3:
HML am / teal6 / Kingler12345 / d0nut

Very interesting group here. d0nut absolutely teared up past SPL, but that was in GSC and there's not a lot of evidence to back up his RBY. Kingler has brought his namesake twice now, which makes me very wary to predict him to even win a game on the big stage.

HML am on the other hand has been training on the mountains. In an apparent quest to get a starter spot on UK he has played a great amount of RBY the past year and getting better and better at it. He's won a MT on PokemonPerfect and was one game away of becoming a season champion. He's been beating SPL players consistently all over the place and here he is, in a group that doesnt even feature a RBY SPL player. If the nerves from the big stage don't get to him, he'll top this group.

teal6 is not the most experienced RBY player, but he's good at pokemon in general and a member of Northeast so he'll have support from BKC and ABR as well. His last RBY encounter was RoAPL, where's he gone a lackluster 2-5.. but with a win against HML am. Can he beat him again and top his group?

RBY OU #4:
Genesis7 / Heroic Troller / rozes / Luispeikou

Italy is a hell of a country. marcoasd finally retires and their replacement is Troller, the consensus #1 RBY player of the moment, with help from Alexander who won the last global championship.. in finals versus Troller himself of course. The Idiot Ninja doesn't even make Italy's bench, it's ridiculous. Anyway he's clearly favored in any group, especially in this group.

Genesis plays in RBY tours but his recent results have been nothing special. That still puts him above rozes and Luispeikou, who somehow both find their way in RBY when they were not there in the Roster post. rozes got ranked dead last in RoAPL PRs (yes those exist, unlike wcop PRs) and followed up that disrespect with a 0-1 performance across 3 weeks into GSC slot.
THAT still puts rozes above Luispeikou, who I can only assume is at this very moment reading up wrap mechanics.

Vileman and caetano have both agreed to play the final weekend, playing Peas friday 10pm +2

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
RBY OU #1:
Vileman / MetalGro$$ / Caetano93 / Peasounay

Peasounay has established and mastered the art of standard RBY to perfection and I don't think anyone in this group has the combination of creativity and playing ability required to topple him, although MetalGro$$ plays a similar style at a very solid skill level too; he should put up a solid display and could maybe steal first with some luck. I've never seen Caetano play because I don't keep up with the scene at large too closely anymore, but I've heard good things about him from good players. On the other hand, I've never heard anyone say anything good about Vileman.

RBY OU #2:
Lusch / roudolf13 / Nails / Hipmonlee

Nails just breezed through most of his SPL competition by cycling the same four teams over and over in all but a few weeks and not many people seemed to have a clue about how to stop him. I don't expect anyone in this group to be able to, either. I think roudolf was slightly lucky to achieve that legendary SPL9 record and his play was not as dominant as the results showed, but he's still a damn good player and I expect him to perform better than a Lusch who had a terrible SPL9 despite having Troller support from the bench, didn't set the world on fire in the following World Cup, and skipped SPL10 altogether. Hipmonlee gifted us the innovation of Surf Starmie, and for that we are all grateful, but most of the creative stuff he brings seems rather rushed and not properly theorized and/or tested, I think it ends up hurting him a lot. Even when he does bring standard he makes more than a few mistakes, and while he'd definitely still beat some other names in other pools, he finds himself in a decent group which I don't expect him to get much from, which is unfortunate, because he deserves a better reputation as a player than the one he currently has.

RBY OU #3:
HML am / teal6 / Kingler12345 / d0nut

This group is impossible to predict. Three players who still make too many mistakes on their off days for me to trust them enough to bold their names, and one player who I've only ever seen play RBY once or twice. d0nut has by far the highest ceiling in here judging from his GSC competence, and of all the people in this group I think he's the most likely to 3-0 because transitioning to RBY on paper shouldn't be too difficult, but he's also the most likely to get washed 0-3 if he hasn't been putting a lot of time into learning the tier. HML am is still not ready to play against top level opponents week in week out and he should thank the skies his official team tour debut is in this group. teal6 is decent but doesn't seem to be passionate enough about the game itself to grind out games of RBY in preparation and I don't see his skill ever advancing past a certain relatively low cap until that changes, but he does have above average instincts. Kingler12345 has the gist of most common situations down, but he still misplays the trickier situations often enough for me to not really rank him decidedly above the rest, but if I had to pick a name most likely to 2-1 or better I guess it would be him.
Realistically, most games in this group will be decided by either luck or players misplaying in situations they are not familiar with. This group will reinforce the community's negative perception of RBY.

RBY OU #4:
Genesis7 / Heroic Troller / rozes / Luispeikou

Troller's WCoP debut gives him a good draw, and a player of his caliber should have little trouble brushing away the other three. rozes is one of my biggest fans and between watching me prep and play as well as actually playing with me I'm pretty sure he's become fairly decent, that said he does suck absolute ass and I would not be surprised to see him 0-3; fuck rozes. Genesis7 used to be pretty solid about one year ago but I've not seen him play RBY much since and I don't trust him to be up to speed, but if he puts in the effort to derust he should manage to put up a good showing. Luispeikou has not done anything of note in his pokemon career to my knowledge.

My Power Rankings:

S rank: Troller, Nails
A+ rank: Peasounay
A rank: roudolf13, MetalGro$$
B rank: Lusch
C rank: Hipmonlee
D+ rank: rozes, Genesis7, Kingler12345, HML am
D rank: teal6, Caetano93
E rank: Vileman, Luispeikou
? rank: d0nut

Overall a very top heavy pool, with over half the teams not managing to find very convincing names. I'm not holding my breath as far as quality of games goes, but it will be interesting to see if any of the less proven players can have a breakout tournament and it will be refreshing to see Peasounay, roudolf and Lusch in an important team tournament again after they skipped SPL10. Sad about Kaz not even finding his way to the bench, he's a quality player.

Team Not Participating -- actually a somewhat decent lineup
SM1: Welli0u
SM2: Mob Barley
SM3: Simia
SM4: maroon
ORAS: Kebab mlml
BW: Marshall.Law
DPP: ToF
ADV: zf
GSC: Fear
RBY: Kaz
Subs: The Idiot Ninja, Hclat, GaryTheGengar, Hec, c0mp

Looking forward to my games for sure, I know I used Phil's meme teams like almost every game in SPL but I'm definitely not gonna do that here. Kingler the mon is a legitimate threat, though...

I'm probably not playing any time soon to shake off the rust a little, but I'm excited for my pool and pretty much watching all the RBY pools in this round (never thought I'd say that sentence lmao). Also I've found some of the rby predictions so far legitimately pretty insightful, you guys should post more of these

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)