Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Dreading the idea that Dynamax might be used outside of regular gameplay. Armored evolution would’ve been a much better option.
The website says "You can only Dynamax your Pokémon in specific locations of the Galar region, like in the stadiums of Pokémon Gyms", so there's at least hope that it's something to make Gym battles quirkier rather than adding yet another dynamic on top of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves?

here's hoping dynamax is an in-game only thing. other than that, im hoping this gen has faster mons than sun/moon did. the amount of cool but painfully slow stuff from s/m made me cry.

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
i regged "dreadnaw" and didn't realize my mistake till later sigh

that god damn e
dynamax looks absolutely broken, i'm very interested in seeing the competitive implications that it has. half of vgc mons already run protect, so dynamax might just turn into a bunch of 50/50s honestly

very much looking forward to the open world and full camera control, that's a feature i always dig

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
A few things I haven't seen posted here (although I only skimmed over):
  • Corviknight seems to have a higher HP stat than Skarmory, unless the Corviknight in the trailer has max HP IVs and EVs.
  • Cotton Down (Grass Evo lines ability) seems to be a Gooey clone for all attacks.
  • Grass line gets Regenerator
  • Wooloo gets Fluffy
  • Dynamax definitely looks like it's exclusive to in game gym battles and other events, it doesn't seem like something that will take place in competitive
  • Milotic seems catchable in the wild which is weird (I guess there were a lot of weird full evos there but that one stuck out)

sister

Banned deucer.
interesting. if eldegoss (or it's final evo if it has one) has decent stats and movepool, could be pretty nice for speed control. though it's gamefreak, i've learned to keep my expectations in check any time something looks to be fun or usable at first.
It also get regenerator, so I doubt its gonna see much use

I wonder if dynamax will require the pokemon to also hold an item or if the trainer can just pick which pokemon to use their z-ring on.

The stat boost can't be that crazy, right? Right?

I wonder if dynamax will require the pokemon to also hold an item or if the trainer can just pick which pokemon to use their z-ring on.

The stat boost can't be that crazy, right? Right?
well, let's think about this scientifically. when they get dynamaxed, they become the size of around primal groudon or so. therefore, when dynamaxed, all pokemon have their stats boosted to primal groudon levels. simple science.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Hmmm this Dynamaxing mechanic looks interesting but I am interested to see whether or not they can be combined with Z-Moves. From the way it looks like, any mon can "become big" and it does not seem that they need to hold a specific item to do so.

Did anyone notice on cotton downs description theyve never mentioned if a move needs ro be contact to activate it?

Cotton Down, the Ability of Gossifleur and Eldegoss, is one of these new Abilities. When a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by an attack, it will send out cotton fluff that will lower the Speed stat of other Pokémon!

Could that mean its activated by any attack and lower the speed of both opponents in doubles? Could be a very interesting support mon if so

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
interesting. if eldegoss (or it's final evo if it has one) has decent stats and movepool, could be pretty nice for speed control. though it's gamefreak, i've learned to keep my expectations in check any time something looks to be fun or usable at first.
depending on its tanking capabilities it could be a sacrificial tangrowth-esque speed bomb

I'm also here for the dark knight variation of Skarmory, that could be fun if it has something unique going for it

Something worth of note:

This post seems to confirm that Galar region will use Let's Go wild battles activation (obviously, still with normal battle mechanics), toghether with a triggerable random battle system.

Quite excited for this one, more than I could have asked.
Honestly, that seems like the best possible lesson they could have learned from Let's Go, Pokémon being visible in the overworld was the best part of that wild battle system.

One other thing I haven't seen remarked upon is that James Turner is art-directing for Sword and Shield - he's been responsible for some interesting Pokémon designs before (which I mostly like, but some of which have been, shall we say, controversial). The full list of Pokémon he's known to have designed is here; if you like the kind of slightly dorky aesthetic he brings to Pokémon designs, then you can probably get excited for Gen VIII designs! (If not then, uh, welp.)

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SPL XI be like

oh I thought the Magearna was going to be Z, but it's Dynamax. ok the Landorus is Z but I thought it was Z-Fly and I just died to Continental Crush. and then I thought that was Zard-Y but it's actually Zard-X so I lose gg

some part of me hopes you can only dynamax in this region. all 3 would be ridiculous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)