Drag (mostly RPDR - Spoiler Heavy)

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I just started watching the episode, but I saw the IT 2 trailer a couple minutes ago, and all I can think is that Nina gives major Pennywise vibes.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Wow I'm so happy Silky stayed, mostly because I love Silky, but also because this online drama is about to be so good. It sucks that it had to be Nina who went home, but she did look the worst, and Silky had to deal with Soju.

I was really surprised that every top-6 girl except Brooke iirc said yvie should go home. I don't like yvie, but I thought she looked the best tonight. It's interesting that almost all of the returning queens said Silky, but almost all of the current ones said Yvie.

I don't know how brooke won instead of Vanjie. This was the worst brooke win yet. I feel like vanjie has to go home next week if they're depriving her of a single win still. I think Brooke/Akeria/Silky/Yvie is the rightful top 4 at this point, so whatever. I feel like Yvie is getting a fall from grace arc though, so I wouldn't be surprised if she went home before the finale.

EV

Banned deucer.
Yeah, and no Ra'Jah either.

Did anyone else burst out laughing at that "Meh" before Ru announced the winner of the lip sync? So emphatically mediocre. Actually, here's a visual to describe how I feel about that lip sync (which also doubles as a description of last week's stinker of a magic show):

But fo real, why the fuck didn't Vanjie win this week?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
That Brooke criticism was such bullshit. She was easily 2nd best behind Yvie. As per usual, judging was entirely based on some random storyline that may or may not reach a conclusion.

I feel like a Brooke vs Vanjie lip sync just isn't as compelling as they think it is, especially given how forced it was. If Yvie didn't do so well and Vanjie turnt it out, they would have found a way to do Silky vs Yvie instead.

Oh well. This is the correct top 4 at least!

EV

Banned deucer.
Not my Top 4 but it works ig.

Also, I'm really bothered that I was allowed to think for even the slightest briefest most fleeting moment Brooke could go home. My rational chimpanzee brain has been conditioned by this stupid show to think like a pigeon after such tomfoolery as Plastique, Shuga, and Nina going home early to the point where I actually believed Brooke might not make Top 4. And I fucking love Vanjie - more than the HiLaRiOuS rOsS mAtThEwS - but them toying wit me like that is uncool.

And yeah, MikeDawg, the judging last episode was stupendously absurd. They dumped all over Brooke for being too polished, Silky for not being polished enough, sorta just let Akeria eke through, and suddenly Yvie is the golden girl again (tbf she turnt the fuck out of that lip sync tho like holy shit walking on her hands backwards like an inverted bridge had me LIVINGj.)

So who fucking knows. My hot take is Yvie wins the crown against Brooke in Round 2 of Canada vs Denver: So You Think You Can Dance? rhinestone edition. Brooke is the better dancer technically speaking, but Yvie brings more to the table in this 2019 drag mindset we live in.

Also as I live and breathe Carson Kressley escaped whatever Tijuana prison cell he was bound n gagged in just to give us some Tinder sexetiquette and remind us why he's the saving grace kelly of this bananas judging panel.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
does putting on cute dresses while wearing a pink fursuit count
update on this, I have now made a pink fursuit

I plan on making a dress for it later this year

I have no trans feelings, I just wanna be cute, and I had many people call me cute while I was walking around a furcon with this on, so mission accomplished

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Does anyone have any predictions for finale?

Personally, I think the Silky vs Brooke/Yvie lip sync (because why would they pair Yvie and Brooke in round 1?) will be great, and Akeria vs Brooke/Yvie will be fine. Yvie and Brooke will almost certainly be top 2, and Ru will call it for Brooke since she was the judges' clear frontrunner all season (as shown by her track record).

Immediately after the crowning, Raven drops down from the ceiling to reveal that she's on All Stars 7, which premiered while the final lip sync was happening.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Yvie did p well in that lip sync if we're keeping it real. Face thing was really cool. I'm mad they gave silky 0 seconds of screen time when she was turning it out, but oh well. It was kind of funny after a while though how often they cut to Brooke when silky was about to do something.

I'm just kinda glad s11 is over. The challenges were so good, but the judging was exhausting, I only liked a handful of the queens, and I don't think any of them were at the level of typical winners tbh.

EV

Banned deucer.
I hated Yvie's first look.

I was rooting for Brooke but I'm still happy Yvie won.

I love Vanjie I don't care how annoying she comes off to other people.

Nina 100% deserved Miss Congealiality and her M E H line

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I hated Yvie's first look.

I was rooting for Brooke but I'm still happy Yvie won.

I love Vanjie I don't care how annoying she comes off to other people.

Nina 100% deserved Miss Congealiality and her M E H line
Wait, people think that vanjie is annoying? :psytear:

Being a member of the LGBT community, I have always been interested in the work of drag queens, since in our current world it is still very difficult to be recognized for its identity, still being a drag queen, victim of so much prejudice. Nowadays the only Brazilian drag queens I accompany are Pabllo Vittar and Glória Groove. Including, Pabllo Vittar already has a great career both nationally and internationally, is a symbol for our community, and I identify very much with his struggle to reach the plateau that is now. The only factor that would make me stop actually following and accompanying the Brazilian drag queens, is that the rhythm usually chosen by them is funk. The funk has good songs, but it's not my main pleasure, so I accompany Pabllo and Gloria, because they make cool funks musics and approach all types of theme.

I would like you to listen to these songs and look for the English translation, the video clips are also very elaborate.
  1. Pabllo Vittar - Indestrutível (Vídeoclipe Oficial)
  2. Gloria Groove - Gloriosa (Clipe Oficial)
(OBS: I'm Brazilian, that's why I talked about Brazilian drag queens).

Thank you!

EV

Banned deucer.
And this, in the month of pride. P Squared

If you haven't heard, a ranking of Drag Race alumni was published in Vulture, while New York Magazine's June TV edition published 37 separate covers of queens (and linked to the ranking).

There's been a swift and vocal reaction to the article, mostly negative. Some are saying it's pandering, others (including queens that were mentioned) are grateful for the publicity. However, quite a few queens featured are upset by a couple of things:
  • The list is called the Most Powerful Drag Queens in America, but it excludes many non-alumni establishment queens a la Lady Bunny, Sherry Vine, Coco Peru, Peaches Christ, Jackie Beat etc etc and international queens that tour/perform here.
  • They weren't told it was a power ranking.
  • They hate the "mugshot" aesthetic. (It should be common knowledge by now that A) you can't photograph a queen that close and B) you can't put her under such harsh lighting. They paint for the nightclubs, henny. Good grief!)
  • The article was riddled with factual errors (then edited).
My favorite YT gossip channel has a rundown about it -

Anywho, thots? Is this the culmination of queer culture/drag being co-opted by the mainstream? Is the general audience turning drag into a novelty? Should we care about it? Nothing to worry about?

EV

Banned deucer.
All right, gays et al, here comes RPDRUK!

I love British humour, though I'm afraid a lot of the references will go over my head. (Same as why I couldn't get into Drag Race Thailand.)

Whom do you love?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Long list of hopes for snatch game: Mary Berry, Theresa May, Nigella Lawson, Delia Smith, Miriam Margolyes, Helena Bonham Carter, Shirley Bassey, Helen Mirren, Emma Thompson, Julie Andrews, Tilda Swindon, Victoria Beckham, Susan Boyle, Sharon Osborne, Jo Brand

From the meet the queens, I’m most excited for Divina and Crystal and seeing all of them sing live while making sushi.

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.
Long list of hopes for snatch game: Mary Berry, Theresa May, Nigella Lawson, Delia Smith, Miriam Margolyes, Helena Bonham Carter, Shirley Bassey, Helen Mirren, Emma Thompson, Julie Andrews, Tilda Swindon, Victoria Beckham, Susan Boyle, Sharon Osborne, Jo Brand
+ Eddie Izzard & Tim Curry (Rocky Horror prob comes to mind first but any character really)

tysequaine

80% sexy, 20% disgusting
JOANNA LUMLEY OR BUST

most of these queens look like they're trying to be American queens, I was so hoping for a cast full of messy geordies that are ready to glass a wanker.

Divina and Viv seem like the only two who know how to do more than just makeup or lip syncing to the Billboard top 40 though, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're the ones to beat

Justice for Meth and Cheddar

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
most of these queens look like they're trying to be American queens, I was so hoping for a cast full of messy geordies that are ready to glass a wanker.

Divina and Viv seem like the only two who know how to do more than just makeup or lip syncing to the Billboard top 40 though, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're the ones to beat
I think the only queen that seems to be following American drag culture moreso than British is Cheryl Hole, actually. She's not a singer, and her fashion is more Vegas than Essex, despite what she said in her meet the queens section. I also unfortunately see her as a mid-early out, following a similar route to Farrah Moan on S9, Kandy Ho on S8, Kenya Michaels on S4 (not counting her returning) etc.. She'll excel at what she's good at but really struggle with everything else.

Crystal, Gothy Kendoll, Blu Hydrangea and Scaredy Kat are I think somewhat of a mixture between the two drag scenes. Crystal is a wildcard in general and doesn't fit into either, whereas the other 3 are fairly instagram-focussed queens, which is sort of a global influence. All 4 have fairly unique styles behind their looks which is more out of the box look queens than we usually get on a drag race season, and these 4 could make for a sickning runway this season. I hope that Crystal brings out some of her tricks on the runway since she's unlikely to get an opportunity to use them in the maxi challenges, and can see an Yvie Oddly storyline for her where she's so dynamically interesting that she wins. Blu Hydrangea and Scaredy Kat are by no means dark horses either though.

Baga Chipz, Divina de Campo, Sum Ting Wong, Vinegar Strokes, and The Vivienne are all extremely well-established drag queens in the UK and I'm eager to see what they bring. I don't think any of them are trying to be American queens at all because they rose up through the ranks of UK drag culture. If we get the UK Drag Race we deserve (with live singing, reaction/audience-based comedy, quick changes, UK pop culture-specific challenges in general) then I could see the first 4 names on this list being the final 4, and I'd be entirely OK with that.

Since I'm skeptical as to whether Drag Race is going to transition into the UK drag scene seamlessly and think it's probably going to have relics of the American drag scene kept in the format, I see this as almost a 2-faction house if we were to speak in traditional reality show terms. I find it hard to see the 5 more established drag queens being surpassed in comedy, UK pop culture (my money for snatch game is on Baga Chipz or Vinegar) or live singing, but in the looks-based challenges and runways the other queens could pull ahead. I think it may be a pretty dynamic season with wins spread across Crystal, Blu, Scaredy, Divina, Sum Ting Wong and Vinegar whereas Cheryl, Gothy, Baga and Vivienne will be the earlier outs. However, ultimately Divina is the one to beat. UK viewers have the same expectations for Divina as American viewers had for Nina going into S11, except since this is the first season of the show, the rigga morris should be kept to a minimum and Divina might actually break through and win.

Sidenote: If they want to do a live finale for UK drag race too, they better be having queens sing live instead of lipsyncing. It'd be way more interesting, and every drag queen in the UK is expected to be able to hold a note.

EV

Banned deucer.
Less than 2 weeks away, hennies...

Also so glad MikeDawg is freed just in time.

Does anyone care about the Baga Chipz controversy? (Make sure you pronounce it the English way: kuhn-trov-er-see.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)