Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Hopefully we'll be getting news this week, but in the meantime, Pokeshopper just released a video about upcoming merch release schedules, and based on it predicts some upcoming reveals and possible legendary inclusions in the Galar dex due to upcoming figures. Notably, it sounds like there are a couple of potentially-to-be-spotlighted mons to be revealed by the end of the month, and Zamazenta and Zacian by the end of October at the latest (along with their still-unrevealed typings).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I need a date for the demo. Anyone remember what we’ve gotten in past Nintendo Directs this time of year for previous Pokémon games?
Honestly? I doubt we're gonna get a demo, at least one before the game releases. We've already discussed how GF has severely reduced the amount of trailers seemingly to avoid spoiling too much of the game (I even heard from someone that one of GF's higher-ups admitted they showed too much in the build-up to Sun and Moon, anybody got a source on that?) and another big demo datamine like what happened with SM could completely sabotage that. Case in point, the Ultra Gen 7 games didn't have a demo as far as I know, and Let's Go's demo only came out after the game released.

It's interesting that they SPECIFICALLY point out Pokémon SwSh; with how separate Pokémon news tends to be from Nintendo's directs and such, I was expecting it to more or less get a mention and reminder; maybe a product reveal like a special SwSh Switch edition. But with it specifically being mentioned I bet we'll get some actual new 'mon and form reveals.

Last edited:
Honestly? I doubt we're gonna get a demo, at least one before the game releases. We've already discussed how GF has severely reduced the amount of trailers seemingly to avoid spoiling too much of the game (I even heard from someone that one of GF's higher-ups admitted they showed too much in the build-up to Sun and Moon, anybody got a source on that?) and another big demo datamine like what happened with SM could completely sabotage that. Case in point, the Ultra Gen 7 games didn't have a demo as far as I know, and Let's Go's demo only came out after the game released.
USUM was basically SM, a demo would've been pointless. Was there any significant gameplay difference between the two in the beginning? Let's Go wasn't a "main series" game, and I still resent them for not giving us a demo prior to the release. Definitely wouldn't have picked it up if there were one.

My personal thought is that after SM Demo getting datamined inside out and still-unrevealed parts getting exposed to the public, they are very very cautious about releasing public demos right now.

For example, even releasing the demo played at the Treehouse, would allow people to datamine Impidimp's moveset and abilities, as well as multiple pokemon's base stats and other abilities (starters, Yamper, etc) which so far have intentionally been kept unrevealed.

As much as it annoys me, I can't blame them for not wanting to release a demo just yet.

What if I told you that SM was the USUM demo?

In all seriousness tho, the fact that they specifically pointed out SnS as one of the games to be covered is interesting. Especially since Pokémon usually have their own directs.

This looks like a marketing gamble to get people to look at the other games to be covered in the Direct, but I'm not sure they think just name dropping SnS and showing some known info is enough of a bait.

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about that one, but if I had to guess a new thing to be revealed, it would be the Starter evos and the legendaries' typings.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
New news tomorrow? You guys know what that means, right?

We proved we could keep ourselves civilized for about a month! WHOO!

Demo? More Like DeNO: Yeah, I think Yung Dramps & Worldie hit the nail on the head here. The SM Demo datamine put a really sour taste in GF's mouth. The thing is, for their to be no datamine leak, GF would have to make the demo from the ground up... and with the game being released in just a few months they probably don't have the time to do that. The E3 Demo they've been shuffling around to places is probably the only demo we're getting. A demo that GF have control over who has it. Aside someone taking that demo from the stores which will have it and datamining it, the SM Demo is probably the last demo we'll be seeing for a long time. Maybe GF should think about maybe having DLC for the last version(s) of a generation that adds in character(s) and maybe new Pokemon from the next gen for us to battle as a pseudo demo.

Nintendo Direct For Pokemon (And Luigi): What Volt-Ikazuchi makes sense, no reason for them not to have their own direct or just a small Youtube video & site update. Considering their second headliner is Luigi Mansion 3, either Nintendo doesn't really have anything that big so hoping including some Pokemon new would get people watching OR Nintendo has something BIG planned but didn't want to spoil it so using it's two biggest known titles to draw in as many people as possible (they're even waiting till later to air it, probably trying to get as many people to see it).
But that's not to say Pokemon won't have anything big itself to tell us. Heck, Starters 1st stage evolutions and the Legendary's Types (plus other details such as having a Signature Ability and/or Move) alone would be major for a Pokemon fan. And maybe it being part of a direct would also have them show some other new Pokemon or at least some new Galarian Forms and Gigantamax Pokemon (we still got that rumored Galarian Evolution for Farfetch'd and Gigantamaxed Lapras). Though what Kurona mentioned makes me curious, would they have a Switch designed after the Legendaries or are they just going to stick with a special version of the Switch Lite and just push it instead.

predicts some upcoming reveals and possible legendary inclusions in the Galar dex due to upcoming figures
If this is true, that's very interesting. Ultra Necrozma makes no sense without Z-crystals from what we know (and there are no figures for Mega Mewtwo, Mega Rayquaza or the Primals), while Arceus is a significant source of item bloat and is usually event-exclusive. Arceus being included in-game would be an interesting choice for this generation, and one I was sure would be saved for DP remakes.

Meanwhile, we have Giratina and Zygarde being excluded for no obvious reason. I initially thought about the alt forms, but Kyurem (which isn't all that popular) is there.

Occam's Razor makes me think these legendaries are being promoted for some other reason and this isn't a list of inclusions in SwSh. That or it's an incomplete list and they're making sure Ubers keeps most/all of its Pokemon.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hooray, we made it without having to lock this!

Prediction-wise, while we'll obviously get some new Pokemon reveals (hopefully some new Galarian forms too pls Masudaddy) I feel like Sword and Shield's segment this direct will probably mainly focus on non-new-Pokemon reveals like more details about the story and some of the prime destinations and locales of the Galar region. In those quick videos they showed a few weeks back they mentioned train travel, so maybe we could get more details on how that'll work. What I'm trying to get at is that this info could be different from the usual batch of new Pokemon to "justify" being a part of a normal Nintendo Direct instead of its own thing

Huh? You mean the Unova fighting type ones?

I'd love it if they made Keldeo not mythical any more tbh. It made sense in gen 5, but not really anymore.
I've held that opinion about mythicals for a while; that it makes sense in the gen they're introduced and at a stretch a little while into the gen directly after; but beyond that point it shouldn't be a thing. And especially since the roster is being cut down, I think it's the perfect time to implement that.

I would also say that I think it's a little premature to think that a Pokémon would have to be thematically appropriate to the region for it to be in the game because
A) They've already stated their intention is to go with the more popular Pokémon so dexit doesn't sting as much, so being thematically appropriate unfortunately isn't their priority
B) We have no idea what form the Pokédex will take

They have said "Only Pokémon that are in the Galar Pokédex will be in the game", but what will the Galar Pokédex look like? For all we know it could contain pages for Metagross and Palkia and Hoopa, but they're exclusively Pokémon that can be transferred. You can of course argue that no game before has had transfer-only Pokémon in its regional Pokédex, but I think also the point is that that's because those games had a National Dex. There's no precedent for a game that doesn't have every Pokémon so we could expect anything from everything being available within the game to a SM-esque situation where there's postgame-exclusive Pokémon in the Pokédex to an Ultra Wormhole situation to, as I said, a scenario where there's some Pokémon only obtainable by transferring.

Until they make a statement saying that every Pokémon in Galar's Pokédex is obtainable between Sword and Shield versions without the need of transfer, I think the bets are completely open on this one. So I don't think we should really factor in things like "Groudon and Yveltal don't make a lot of sense with Galar's lore" too heavily when considering what Pokémon Game Freak will include to appease their crowd who vastly likes legendaries, and who they've previously appeased with Hoopa Rings and Ultra Wormholes.

Until they make a statement saying that every Pokémon in Galar's Pokédex is obtainable between Sword and Shield versions without the need of transfer, I think the bets are completely open on this one. So I don't think we should really factor in things like "Groudon and Yveltal don't make a lot of sense with Galar's lore" too heavily when considering what Pokémon Game Freak will include to appease their crowd who vastly likes legendaries, and who they've previously appeased with Hoopa Rings and Ultra Wormholes.
I would disagree on this specific one.

Hoopa rings and Wormholes were both introduced in "second batch of titles", with the purpose of having a somewhat-coherent way to allow a plethora of Legendaryes that make no sense in that place to be available for VGC eligibility.
A similar "plot device" would make sense in whatever title follows Sw/Sh (being it a third entry or remakes), but much less in the first titles of the gen.

If you think of BW, XY and SM, they had a handful of previous generation legendaries available in the wild in the game (very very few), but they in some way did make sense in the place (soaring birds, mewtwo cave, zygarde cores, etc).

I would expect that if any non-gen-8 Legendary or Mythical is included in the Galar dex, it has to be *some* connection with the area. Now, obviously one can get pretty creative as far as "connections", but I doubt we'd be seeing any hoopa rings shenenigans until the next releases.

If this is true, that's very interesting. Ultra Necrozma makes no sense without Z-crystals from what we know (and there are no figures for Mega Mewtwo, Mega Rayquaza or the Primals), while Arceus is a significant source of item bloat and is usually event-exclusive. Arceus being included in-game would be an interesting choice for this generation, and one I was sure would be saved for DP remakes.

Meanwhile, we have Giratina and Zygarde being excluded for no obvious reason. I initially thought about the alt forms, but Kyurem (which isn't all that popular) is there.

Occam's Razor makes me think these legendaries are being promoted for some other reason and this isn't a list of inclusions in SwSh. That or it's an incomplete list and they're making sure Ubers keeps most/all of its Pokemon.
If I understood/recall the video correctly, Pokeshopper specifically claimed that these were all part of a SwSh promotion, much in the same vein as Mega Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard being part of the LGPE promotion before they were officially revealed to be in the games, hence his prediction. Similarly, absences in the figures wouldn't necessarily mean those legendaries are not in the games, as more than just those three megas appeared in LGPE. Given TPC's recent penchant of throwing spanners in all of our expectations, though, who knows if the prediction will come true. Maybe they're just selling these legendary figures because it will be the only way to get those mons for a while! :psynervous:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ultra Necrozma makes no sense without Z-crystals from what we know
Much like what they did with Feebas in games with Contests, there's no reason they can't just include a new held item (or recycle an existing item) which will make it form shift when using it's Signature Move (it just won't do it's Z-Move in addition to it).

Or they can make it a special Gigantamax for the fused Necrozma forms, they'll change into Ultra Necrozma with its G-Max move being Lights That Burns the Sky. They can use the excuse that, without actual Z-Crystals to sustain its Ultra Necrozma form, that is why after 3 turns it changes back to one of its Fused forms so it can recharge in lore.

Arceus is a significant source of item bloat and is usually event-exclusive. Arceus being included in-game would be an interesting choice for this generation, and one I was sure would be saved for DP remakes.
Indeed, even if Arceus is in the Galar Dex that doesn't mean it'll be catchable just yet. Remember to fill a page in the Pokedex you just need to have seen the Pokemon in someway. In Platinum I recall you could register Phione in your Pokedex by just looking at a certain book which told you about it. So for Arceus, assuming you have to see it in order to complete the Galar Dex and there's no "Extended Galar Dex" which unlocks post game, they could just have lore about and at one point you can register it as "seen" in your Pokedex. That way they can also save it for the DP remakes.

While Kyurem may not be as popular I don't think I would be wrong to say Reshiram and Zekrom are. In addition those three look much more like typical European Dragons than Giratina and Zygarde.

I'd love it if they made Keldeo not mythical any more tbh. It made sense in gen 5, but not really anymore.
I've held that opinion about mythicals for a while; that it makes sense in the gen they're introduced and at a stretch a little while into the gen directly after; but beyond that point it shouldn't be a thing. And especially since the roster is being cut down, I think it's the perfect time to implement that.
I sec- err, third that agreement. It would be nice for them to start making Mythicals become normal Legendaries after their debut generation. That said the Mythical title they have spent building up so I don't think that'll happen. Instead I'd say just release a few of those Mythicals in each generation that really have no need to remain Mythical: Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Keldeo, Genesect, Volcanion, & Zeraora I would say be the first likely batch if this was to happen.

10 MINUTES! Join us on the Discord!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Polteageist BETTER evolve into a Ghost/Rock type, I like its design a fair bit and that'd be cool to see. Cramorant is... ok? Gulp Missile might be neat. Probably gonna have ass SpA and have to rely on Dive for physical Water STAB as such, I just feel it's gonna happen

Also, did anyone notice that green Alcremie in the Pokemon Camp demonstration? Is that its shiny form or are alt covers ie Vivillon gonna be a thing for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)