(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

With regards to HMs, why not:

Each Pokemon has its HM capability as an inherent trait (e.g Tyranitar can swim, cut bushes, push boulders and break rocks).

At certain points in the game, a character teaches you how to use these 'field traits'. This way you don't have them all at once.

As long as you know the technique and have a mon with the capability, you can use it. Seems to still keep the 'personal' touch without being quite so annoying or limiting?

It has the same issue that it still forces team composition based on clearing obstacles and not just battle strategy/favorites. Unless every pokemon can just do practically everything.

Because if I want to live out my dream of being a bird keeper with 6 flying types then that's my dream GET OFF MY CASE DAD! YOU CAN GROUND ME BUT YOU CAN'T GROUND MY BIRDS!
1569190285497.png

BIRD POKEMON FOREVER!

...inane ramblings aside I like letting the player pick whatever 6 pokemon they want no strings attached (save for making battles harder or easier) so I'm against making you always pick a rock type simply because you need a boulder moved.

But can we maybe get off this ways to improve HMs direction? Its starting to get wishlist-y.

Last edited:
HMs are annoying, yes, but dancers blocking a gate or a janitor mopping the floor are peak stupid road block. At least having rocks, boulders, and waterfalls as physical barriers to control your progress is much more immersive than some of the stuff they did in Gen 5. And in hindsight, Poke rides were a bit silly: why do I have to call someone else's Pokemon to do things my own Pokemon are capable of?

I think the ideal system is somewhere between HMs and a ride mechanic (the amphibious bike we've seen in SwSh seems like a wonderful concept, especially if it progressively upgrades), along with clever implementation of roadblocks.

Last edited:
With regards to HMs, why not:

Each Pokemon has its HM capability as an inherent trait (e.g Tyranitar can swim, cut bushes, push boulders and break rocks).

At certain points in the game, a character teaches you how to use these 'field traits'. This way you don't have them all at once.

As long as you know the technique and have a mon with the capability, you can use it. Seems to still keep the 'personal' touch without being quite so annoying or limiting?
I think this approach has potential when combined with a portable PC. You would need to catch a Pokemon capable of swimming across water, but you don't necessarily need to use them on your team. You can just call upon them when needed.

I feel a good idea would be a combination of all of the above. You use your own Pokémon to cross across water and smash rocks through field moves not linked to your actual moveset, but if you don't have one on hand you can call upon a Pokémon from your PC; and if you don't have one of those, you can use a 'rental' one.

The point of using your own, however, would be that it has advantages. Perhaps there are 'levels' to your field moves that give different (but non-necessary) effects. Maybe a high Surf level increases your speed; or a high Rock Smash level allows you to find certain items -- the Pickup ability seems to be a pretty good model for this. Any 'rental' Pokémon would be at the lowest level, hence meaning that you don't technically have any roadblocks, but if you have a surf-capable Pokémon on your team then you can use those instead and there are rewards for it.

Perhaps another method would be that the 'rental' Pokémon actually cost money -- significantly more money than it would take to just go out and catch a Pokémon. This would incentivise catching, but also if you're the type of player who likes to speed through the game; then you can just do that for a cost as well. It would mean that both types of play have advantages to them; one is faster, and one gets you more resources and more exploration. This has always been a divide between certain types of Pokémon players for a long time, so why not take advantage of that?

In fact, just to keep this thread on-topic... I suppose my dislike would be that Pokémon seems to only reward a particular type of playstyle, and that's the real problem with the linearity and railroading. It's not that the linearity in itself is a bad thing, it's more that there's only one route to get there. I'm admittedly having problems recalling it right now, but I do recall there being a cave or a forest or some sort of dungeon in a previous Pokémon game where there were two paths - one that was much quicker, and one that was much longer and filled with trainers but the upside was that there were a lot of items, experience and new Pokémon to be gained for it. This is the model that Pokémon should take on in the future -- that even if there are set goals at very many areas in the game, there should be multiple ways to achieve those goals.

Perhaps another method would be that the 'rental' Pokémon actually cost money -- significantly more money than it would take to just go out and catch a Pokémon. This would incentivise catching, but also if you're the type of player who likes to speed through the game; then you can just do that for a cost as well. It would mean that both types of play have advantages to them; one is faster, and one gets you more resources and more exploration. This has always been a divide between certain types of Pokémon players for a long time, so why not take advantage of that?
That's a nice idea in theory, but it's still likely that speedrunners would just catch some early-game mon that can use a ton of different skills. Most speedruns rely on X items to sweep through teams, and ever since those things got buffed, they aren't cheap (except in Let's Go where they keep their old prices and are thus absolutely broken).

That's a nice idea in theory, but it's still likely that speedrunners would just catch some early-game mon that can use a ton of different skills. Most speedruns rely on X items to sweep through teams, and ever since those things got buffed, they aren't cheap (except in Let's Go where they keep their old prices and are thus absolutely broken).
That's my point. Let them do that, there's no problem with it and multiple different ways of playing a game should be encouraged.

3 things to fix HMs instead of just removing them like SM/Lets Go/SwSh did: Make HMs good, make them widely distributed, and make them used for puzzles more than roadblocks.
All HMs should work like Photon Geyser and run off your higher attack stat. Surf on Feraligatr or Fly on Pelipper should be reasonable in-game choices. Similarly, HMs should be retooled to be reasonable moves to have on an end-game team(even if they’re not the absolute best). Fly and Strength are fine, but there should be no more than 2 of one type, and if it has a power under 60, it needs to be a Power-Up Punch/Nuzzle/Dragon Tail style move. Forcing players to learn how to use Phazing and stat-boosts in-game is fine, forcing them to use Cut is not.
Any mon that even looks like it could maybe learn a move should. Yes, Yanmega should learn Fly, but also Solrock. Every normal type should learn almost any HM move. Is it a final stage? It can learn Strength. Any team that’s not intentionally limited should be almost guaranteed to fit all moves by accident. And if your team is intentionally limited, figuring out how you cross an ocean as a Fire-type trainer is part of the challenge.
And the last is basic. Block a road with Strength until you beat the gym, sure, but it should mostly be block puzzles. The Cut-style “remove this one square of obstacle” should not be a thing. The designer wants you to have a diverse team, but the player wants things to be interesting. So make the stuff you use the moves to do interesting.

This is NOT HARD. Which is why I’m so annoyed at GF for choosing to give up on HMs instead of fixing them, when the way to fix them has been obvious since about Gen II.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm admittedly having problems recalling it right now, but I do recall there being a cave or a forest or some sort of dungeon in a previous Pokémon game where there were two paths - one that was much quicker, and one that was much longer and filled with trainers but the upside was that there were a lot of items, experience and new Pokémon to be gained for it.
Kalos Route 6 maybe?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kalos Route 6 is one of the example. Pinwheel Forest is another (a bad one though, since it's postgame in B2W2 and you're forced to take the long path the first time you travel there in BW). Hoenn's Victory Road also offers you two paths.

In fact, just to keep this thread on-topic... I suppose my dislike would be that Pokémon seems to only reward a particular type of playstyle, and that's the real problem with the linearity and railroading. It's not that the linearity in itself is a bad thing, it's more that there's only one route to get there. I'm admittedly having problems recalling it right now, but I do recall there being a cave or a forest or some sort of dungeon in a previous Pokémon game where there were two paths - one that was much quicker, and one that was much longer and filled with trainers but the upside was that there were a lot of items, experience and new Pokémon to be gained for it. This is the model that Pokémon should take on in the future -- that even if there are set goals at very many areas in the game, there should be multiple ways to achieve those goals.
Sounds like the Kanto split to Fuschia City, where you could take the easier bike path from Celadon where it's all downhill (literally) or the long coastline walk from Lavender Town that was better for grinding.

Honestly, the original Kanto games were so good about non-linearity (you can do over half the gyms in any order) that it boggles the mind on how linear the series got. And yes it's not that linearity is bad but this series doesn't seem to be using it to give us anything meaningful.

In general, RPGs fall into 2 types. There’s the Bethesda style, an open world where you can go anywhere and explore, traveling through or ignoring the story to your heart’s content. Your experience and play style are the goal and source of enjoyment. Breath of the Wild and The Witcher are perfect examples of this.

The other is the linear RPG, which most JRPGs do. You go through the game in a specific order, progressing through the main story at a steady rate. The plot and characters are the source of enjoyment, so your control of any of that is limited.

The problem is Pokémon doesn’t do either. You can’t do an open world with their level system, and even though the games talk a lot about using your favorites, most in-game teams will be 6 sweepers with a FWG core. So that leaves a linear story-focused RPG, and GF clearly sucks at that. They sometimes do well, and people will praise a character or a plot, but “passable” is really all we can hope for. But they keep trying to make a good story by adding more story and making sure you experience all of it in exactly the order they designed, since clearly if they do that we’ll see how good it is, right? And then we get USUM and the mandatory 3 hours of cutscenes that exist purely to make a worse story than SM. There can’t be branching paths because then we might skip one conversation with Hau. It’s frustrating and I’m hoping with the way they’re doing the wilderness in Swish, they’ve figured out what’s wrong.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
During a lengthy discussion on the OI Discord last night, I think I finally understood what Game Freak was thinking when the Klink line was designed. I count it as one of my favourite evolution lines, even though it's kind of bad at everything. But it seems like Game Freak was trying to give it a niche, which is commendable, but the way this was executed is kind of painful, and the Klink line is far from the only example out there.

So, Klink and its evolutionary relatives are "blessed" with the regular abilities Plus and Minus. These abilities give a considerable Special Attack boost if used alongside other Pokémon with Plus or Minus in a Doubles or Triples battle. Famously, they were introduced to be the gimmick abilities of Plusle and Minun, but in later generations other Pokémon (and their respective evolutions) have got them as well: Dedenne, Klink, Mareep, and Electrike; the latter two have the abilities as a Hidden Ability only. You were originally required to have both Plus and Minus on the field to activate the boost, but from Gen V onwards, two Pokémon with Plus or two Pokémon with Minus will also get the boost. Essentially, the abilities are now identical, which makes it kind of sad that Klink got both of them - it was designed after they were made redundant.

Additionally, the Klink line was given the moves Magnetic Flux and Gear Up in the two generations following its introduction. These moves raise the two Defense or the two Attack stats of all allies on the field by one stage each, respectively - but it only works on Pokémon that carry the abilities Plus and Minus. Klinklang is the only Pokémon to learn both these moves, further working into its theme with Plus and Minus.

The fact that Plus and Minus boost Special Attack should explain why Klinklang has such a Special-oriented movepool despite having a Special Attack stat of a paltry 70, but 100 Attack it only learns three moves to use with. The Klink line is meant to use Plus and Minus to become Special attackers that also boost their Plus and Minus allies. And frankly, in that situation they're not bad; with a Plus/Minus boost under its belt, Klinklang has the same SpA stat as Magnezone, and all of the potential allies have an even higher base SpA. If you manage to get Plus/Minus to activate, Klinklang really isn't half bad, with powerful attacks and support moves at its disposal.

... but therein lies the problem. Because the niche clearly exists, but when the heck are you supposed to use it? Plus and Minus are the poster children of situationally useful mechanics. They only work in Doubles, for a start. In-game there are almost no Double battles, so there are extremely few opportunities to put the strategy to use even if you somehow choose to train two Pokémon with Plus and Minus and possibly keep moves that are useless in Singles. Heck, Magnetic Flux is an evolution move for Klinklang, and Gear Up is a Move Relearner move, so you won't get them until very late in your adventure. In conclusion, Plus and Minus are completely useless in-game.

That leaves VGC and the post-game battle facilities, where Plus/Minus is a risky strategy to say the least. Every single user of those abilities is either a Klink evolution or Electric-type, which means they're all weak to Ground. Also, they're kind of ass without Plus or Minus active, and the strategy requires the partners to be on the field at the same time - if one is KO'd, the other is dead weight. Klinklang's special movepool also mostly has Electric moves in it, which is redundant since all potential partners are Electric too. Plus/Minus is not a good strategy in higher-level play either.

So in conclusion, the annoying thing is that these Pokémon are designed around a strategy players will almost never get the opportunity to execute, which requires a convoluted setup and yields minimal payoff. Sure, Klinklang gets the same SpA stat as Magnezone if the ability is activated, but so does Magnezone itself, unconditionally, without spending its ability slot, and it gets STAB on its Electric moves to boot. And the Klink line is far from the only example here; there are tons of Pokémon with the same basic problem. They are centered around a strategy players will rarely get the opportunity to use even if they want to, and kind of useless otherwise. It suggests that whoever came up with the strategy stopped thinking after "eh, it can work" and didn't consider the necessary circumstances. Everything from the Pledge moves to Helping Hand to Follow Me to Mega Audino to Oranguru and Comfey's whole shticks. Decent in theory, horrible in practice because the use of those strategies isn't facilitated. Maybe they could work in a Colosseum-style game where every battle is Doubles, but then at least two of the necessary 'mons and the boosting moves would have to be made available early. As-is, the niches remain largely useless because the people who designed the Pokémon didn't talk to the people who wrote the encounter tables and nobody got the memo about how rare Doubles would be.

Is it supposed to be an extension of 'all the gears working together'? Like you use two Klinklang, one Plus, one Minus, and on the first turn they use Magnetic Flux and Gear Up to boost both their stats even further? It would be a nice gimmick, the more gears you put together the stronger the resultant 'machine'. Even if it ended up ultimately useless :D

Is it supposed to be an extension of 'all the gears working together'? Like you use two Klinklang, one Plus, one Minus, and on the first turn they use Magnetic Flux and Gear Up to boost both their stats even further? It would be a nice gimmick, the more gears you put together the stronger the resultant 'machine'. Even if it ended up ultimately useless :D
This makes me wish we got more Trainer Horde encounters than just poochy/mightyena. Just imagine five of these boosting each other.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Too bad about the species clause present in both VGC and the in-game battle facilities. The only battles you can field two Klinklang simultaneously are story-mode double battles, none of which are repeatable in Gen VII if I recall correctly. Then again, the Klink line isn't native to Gen VII either (even though it did receive Gear Up that generation).

The annoying thing isn't the gimmick itself, it's how you'll almost never get to execute it.

Its not really a Pokemon thing, but its a GameFreak thing. We've always had debates whether or not GF were good game designers or not. Well this game might just answer this question. Little Town Hero just came out, and my god, did it have some pretty average to lukewarm reviews. Here's Gamexplain's review:

This is the first time GameExplain used their Hate Emoji

Of course, GameExplain was a very negative, so I looked up some other reviews. They also share same similar points when it comes from criticism: hard to understand Gameplay mechanics, too much luck/unfair advantages in battles, terrible framerates and inconsistency with movements, and pausing cutscenes. ( The music and art direction recieved praise though ). Wow. That was a lot of technical errors. And I thought Gold and Silver showed how incompetent GF programmers were. The games reviews show how bland GF is when comes to making RPGs.

My qualm is that it seems like a poor man's Pokemon game. The monster fights are just Pokemon battles with a more intricate/confusing system, and even the player's friends are called "rivals". The player even lives with their Mother without their Father who's gone missing. Sound familiar?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Many of you are already aware of how big of a Gen 7 fanboy I am (tl;dr best region, best new pokemon, best changes to formula), but one of the things I liked a little bit less about it was the story/villains. Guzma was great, but I won't lie when I say Lusamine kinda fell flat for me. It has nothing to do with her character arc or how it's written, that's done fine. No, what really knocks her down for me is how when you finally fight her she has the worst evil leader Pokemon team since RSE Maxie and Archie.

From a glance, it seems like what they were trying to go for was a team of Pokemon that could be considered "beautiful" in one way or another. An interesting idea that could've been a neat shake-up from the likes of Cyrus or Ghetsis if done well, but if it was I wouldn't be writing this. Let's take a look one by one.

-Clefable: I got nothing against Clefable, he's actually been a good Pokemon on his own ever since he got Fairy type, but the issue here is that it never has been presented as threatening generally speaking. On the contrary, Clefable's always been depicted as a cutesy goof since its introduction. Not exactly a snug fit for the main villain of the game.

-Lilligant: Slightly better, but still pretty bleh. I suppose it does fit into the whole "beautiful Pokemon" theme, but that doesn't change the fact it's bloody Lilligant. Didn't the Preschooler trainer class use this and Petilil back in Black and White? Either way, not even close to being intimidating or having a presence of any kind. The worst part is that Tsareena would've been a way better fit: It's also a feminine pure Grass type, but unlike Lilligant it's an Alola original, provides another physical attacker, and most importantly it actually has a cool factor to it, it literally kicks people while they're down and laughs at their pain ffs.

-Mismagius: No complaints about this one. A fairly strong, cool Pokemon in its own right that fits into Lusamine's theme. Probably the best mon on her team for this reason.

-Milotic: Another good pick. A bit generic considering we've already had two important trainers in the past who used it (Wallace and Cynthia), but still a strong mon who is the epitome of beauty in-universe. Maybe those first two underwhelming choices were just a fluke, and Lusamine is getting serious...

-Bewear: ...Aaaaaand she blew it. Bewear, really?? I mean, it's far from weak, but... ...Bewear. Yeah yeah it can kill people with hugs, but look at it! It doesn't fit Lusamine's theme at all, nor does it leave the monstrous impression Ghetsis' Hydreigon, Giovanni's Rhydon or even Lysandre's Gyarados do. Even ignoring the obligatory "her ace should've been Nihilego", there were better options that other major trainers don't use that aren't Ultra Beasts! Alolan Muk (one of the Pokemon seen in Aether Paradise), Kommo-o, Alolan Ninetales, heck, they could've given her Toxapex, at least that would've been unconventional but still scary! But no, freaking Bewear.

So yeah, her team kinds sucks. But here's the "best" part: She actually receives a downgrade in the Ultra games. Remember her Mismagius? Well that gets shifted out for the almighty Lopunny. Not Mega Lopunny, mind you: BASE LOPUNNY. She's not the main villain in these games I guess, but... ...why? Everybody else was the same. Why change an actual good member? If they were that desperate to show off the expanded Pokedex, they could have gone with Mienshao or something.

And that's just the team members. Don't even get me started on their movesets (F L A I L M I L O T I C).

So yeah, her team kinds sucks. But here's the "best" part: She actually receives a downgrade in the Ultra games. Remember her Mismagius? Well that gets shifted out for the almighty Lopunny. Not Mega Lopunny, mind you: BASE LOPUNNY. She's not the main villain in these games I guess, but... ...why? Everybody else was the same. Why change an actual good member? If they were that desperate to show off the expanded Pokedex, they could have gone with Mienshao or something.
Because it fits with the "beautiful" motif better than Mismagius (we can argue about Bewear though).

Because it fits with the "beautiful" motif better than Mismagius (we can argue about Bewear though).
I don't know if it's so much "beautiful" as it is "general cutesy-ness" that's Lusamine's theme.

Or maybe Bewear's on her team because it's pink and fluffy. I don't know, I'm not Game Freak.

-Bewear: ...Aaaaaand she blew it. Bewear, really?? I mean, it's far from weak, but... ...Bewear. Yeah yeah it can kill people with hugs, but look at it! It doesn't fit Lusamine's theme at all, nor does it leave the monstrous impression Ghetsis' Hydreigon, Giovanni's Rhydon or even Lysandre's Gyarados do. Even ignoring the obligatory "her ace should've been Nihilego", there were better options that other major trainers don't use that aren't Ultra Beasts! Alolan Muk (one of the Pokemon seen in Aether Paradise), Kommo-o, Alolan Ninetales, heck, they could've given her Toxapex, at least that would've been unconventional but still scary! But no, freaking Bewear.
Idk I think Bewear makes perfect sense for Lusamine? Stufful and Bewear’s whole thing is looking friendly while secretly being kinda savage, which fits her pretty well I reckon.

Also, because of how it looks, Stufful is often portrayed as the target of unwanted and overbearing ‘affection’, which is exactly how we’re told Lusamine treated her children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)