Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

What do you mean by Shadow Boost? If you mean the 50% Speed increase than no they don't. Source: Bulbapedia.
No, the one on this page: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xd_guide

The Shadow Boost Factor
You may have noticed a + next to the level of the Shadow Pokémon you encounter. The meaning behind this sign refers to a small boost in all of its stats dubbed the Shadow Boost. The Shadow Pokémon loses this boost upon capture, but when doing one-under Speed tests, it is vital to take the Shadow Boost into account. The exact mechanism that determines this amount is currently unknown, but the boosts can be found empirically through rigorous Speed tests. Further complicating matters, several separate files have yielded different Shadow Boost results, so it is still advisable to do your own tests if you are unsure.”

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
No, the one on this page: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xd_guide

The Shadow Boost Factor
You may have noticed a + next to the level of the Shadow Pokémon you encounter. The meaning behind this sign refers to a small boost in all of its stats dubbed the Shadow Boost. The Shadow Pokémon loses this boost upon capture, but when doing one-under Speed tests, it is vital to take the Shadow Boost into account. The exact mechanism that determines this amount is currently unknown, but the boosts can be found empirically through rigorous Speed tests. Further complicating matters, several separate files have yielded different Shadow Boost results, so it is still advisable to do your own tests if you are unsure.”
This thread seems to suggest it's XD exclusive. Relevant bit:

Courtesy of Zari for the research of said mechanic

Exclusive to XD, you'll notice that every Shadow Pokemon has a particular "+" next to their level. This means that (nearly) every Shadow Pokemon in the game is actually fought at a higher level than what they are encountered at.

"You may have noticed a + next to the level of the Shadow Pokemon you encounter. The meaning behind this sign refers to a small boost in all of its stats, dubbed the Shadow Boost. Almost every Shadow Pokemon has one of these Shadow Boosts, but they lose it upon capture."
*The Legendary Kanto Birds are not affected by this mechanic*

Basically, this means that every Shadow Pokemon has a hidden boost to their stats, with early game Pokemon having a smaller boost and late game Pokemon typically having a larger boost. Now it starts to make more sense as to why that Shadow Zangoose outsped your Pokemon when it otherwise couldn't in a normal situation, as well as that Shadow Lunatone taking a hit that would otherwise OHKO it. The Shadow Boost factor can play an important role in figuring out speed IVs for the desired Shadow Pokemon.

If I have a digital copy of S/M/US/UM, can I do the following in order:
  • Back up the save data to an SD card via the 3DS's Data Management feature
  • Trade a valuable Pokémon off of my game
  • Restore the save file via the same Data Management feature (thus preserving a copy of that particular Pokémon - essentially cloning it)
Or is there some obstacle that would prevent me from doing this?

If I have a digital copy of S/M/US/UM, can I do the following in order:
  • Back up the save data to an SD card via the 3DS's Data Management feature
  • Trade a valuable Pokémon off of my game
  • Restore the save file via the same Data Management feature (thus preserving a copy of that particular Pokémon - essentially cloning it)
Or is there some obstacle that would prevent me from doing this?
Pokémon games do not allow you to back up your file for this very reason lol

I've done some looking around, and can't find an answer to my question. Can the Darkrai from Pokemon Ranger be RNG'd to be shiny? I assume you'd have to abuse a TID that matches?

Not sure if this is the place to ask (spoilers) :
With Dexit, will Pokémon Showdown and Smogon be using only the available Pokémon or all of them?

Not sure if this is the place to ask (spoilers) :
With Dexit, will Pokémon Showdown and Smogon be using only the available Pokémon or all of them?
Might not be the best spot to answer, but the answer that was provided so far was that the actual standard metagame will include the limited pokedex, but there'll be a OM with entire natdex.

In Pokemon Crystal, do Elite 4 and Champion Pokemon have "stat experience"? What are their DV bonuses? I'm wondering in particular what Speed Lance's Gyarados has in case I try a solo challenge with a slow Pokemon that's weak to Water. . .

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
In Pokemon Crystal, do Elite 4 and Champion Pokemon have "stat experience"? What are their DV bonuses? I'm wondering in particular what Speed Lance's Gyarados has in case I try a solo challenge with a slow Pokemon that's weak to Water. . .
Did a little digging and according to here (which is technically for GS, but I imagine the same for Crystal), the DVs for Lance's Pokemon are DCDD...so 13/12/13/13 for what I believe is Atk/Def/Speed/Special. I haven't seen any concrete evidence for stat experience, but based on people's posts I'd guess it's 0.

I already asked this somewhere else, but I was wondering if menu sprites from the 3DS pokemon games were restricted to a certain palette of colors because I remember reading something like that somewhere. Are the sprites limited to a palette, and if so, what is the palette/palettes they are restricted to?

Can Pokerus still be contracted if the internal battery is dry on R/S/E?
Do you mean finding a wild Pokemon with Pokerus or spreading Pokerus? I'm pretty sure the battery doesn't affect either, because both are rolled during specific in-game events (finding a wild Pokemon and winning a battle, respectively).

Do you mean finding a wild Pokemon with Pokerus or spreading Pokerus? I'm pretty sure the battery doesn't affect either, because both are rolled during specific in-game events (finding a wild Pokemon and winning a battle, respectively).
I was wondering about getting it from a wild Pokémon, but as it’s an in-game event independent of the battery as per what you said then that answers my question. Thanks!

I was EV Training a Corviknight today with Pokerus and a Power Item. Based on my math, defeating a Pokemon that yields 2 EVs would total to 12 EVs (2 plus 4 from the Power Item plus 6 from Pokerus). However when I was checking Corviknight's stats, I was earning 20 EVs per battle. Where did the extra 8 EVs come from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)