Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Except this is the first mainline Pokémon game to not feature the entire ensemble. In Gen 7 they did have every Pokémon available to them so it just made sense to take advantage of that; but there's no reason to assume that the original Linoone and Ponyta are in this game. If anything, I think Galarian Forms of new Pokémon makes it more likely that the original would not be in this game.
Galarian forms are considered alternate forms of the original Pokemon they are based on, not as separate things. I'd still say is possible

Except this is the first mainline Pokémon game to not feature the entire ensemble. In Gen 7 they did have every Pokémon available to them so it just made sense to take advantage of that; but there's no reason to assume that the original Linoone and Ponyta are in this game. If anything, I think Galarian Forms of new Pokémon makes it more likely that the original would not be in this game.
That only makes sense if every form is replaced by a Galarian version. Alolan forms like Exeggutor, Raichu, and Marowak only evolve from Exeggcute, Pikachu, and Cubone born in the Alolan region. It should be the same for Galar so it does make sense for the original form to be able to be traded up. It also lets you compare them in-game.

That only makes sense if every form is replaced by a Galarian version. Alolan forms like Exeggutor, Raichu, and Marowak only evolve from Exeggcute, Pikachu, and Cubone born in the Alolan region. It should be the same for Galar so it does make sense for the original form to be able to be traded up. It also lets you compare them in-game.
Those Pokemon didn't need to specifically be born in the Alola region to evolve into the Alolan forms. They just need to be in Alola to evolve into the Alolan forms, regardless of their place of birth. You can transfer a Cubone from XY/ORAS to SM/USUM and it'll evolve into Alolan Marowak, unless you evolve it in Ultra Space where it'll evolve into Kantonian Marowak.

Those Pokemon didn't need to specifically be born in the Alola region to evolve into the Alolan forms. They just need to be in Alola to evolve, regardless of their place of birth. You can transfer a Cubone from XY/ORAS to SM/USUM and it'll evolve into Alolan Marowak, unless you evolve it in Ultra Space where it'll evolve into Kantonian Marowak.
Okay, I see we're only interested in arguing semantics at this point so I'll just let the matter drop

Okay, I see we're only interested in arguing semantics at this point so I'll just let the matter drop
I'm not even arguing with you or wanting to start anything; just wanted to make that important distinction considering (ik this is kinda off topic) we still don't know if there's a Galarian Farfetch'd or Galarian Koffing that'll evolve into Sirfetch'd or Galarian Weezing, respectively, in SwSh. If there aren't, it may be possible to transfer those pre-evos into Galar w/ unique egg moves/tutors that their evolutions can utilize.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Something else to point out in relation to Ponyta's typing: Many old myths and tales about unicorns cited their ability to cure poison, "unicorn horns" were even used as medicine. Pastel Veil reflects this with it granting immunity to and curing poison. With all this in mind, choosing a type that in itself is super-effective against Poison makes sense, especially over a type that's actually weak to Poison.

I actually don't mind not knowing much more. I enjoyed White way more because I went into the game blindly. In SM, by the time the game was released, there was almost no mystery left. At this point, we have less than 30 new Pokémon iirc, so most of the new ones are still uknown.

Btw, I have no idea of what this Impidimp thing you're talking about is.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Galarian Ponyta officially revealed, got a message for new JAPE. What I'll say I was also surprised of the Psychic-typing but something someone said later has it make sense. That said is now does sort of makes it look like Pokemon copies My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic since, in that show, the unicorn ponies were able to us magic/psychic powers thanks to their horns (and just look at Galarian Ponyta, Hasbro is either knocking on Nintendo's door with a subpeona or a contract deal).

Wasn't Grookey called Gorilla1 on the dynamax website? There isn't any gorilla yet (Slaking is a sloth).
True, a drumming gorilla is a popular suggestion by many and I do agree it does feel like the most obvious direction to go. With them saying the stick wasn't really that important to its evolution I tried to take another angle, though I did forget it's codename is "Gorilla1".

3rd Gorhythm-- mean looking gorilla that smacks a big drum. Grass and one of fighting/fairy/dark.
Yeah, I suppose it doesn't have to use its stick to play the drums, could just replace the stick with a drum (like how Oshawott replaces its scalchops with seamitars when becomes Samurott).

Though you know what, I'm kind of tired of Dual-type Starters, how about we make all the Starters mono-type this gen?

This is the sixth ability with "veil" in the name.
Yes... and no. It's actually five. In Japan the "Veil" moves are Water Veil, Sweet Veil, Aroma Veil, Flower Veil, and Pastel Veil (they all end in "Beru" in Japan). Sand Veil's Japanese name is "Suna Gakure" which translates to "Hidden in Sand", similar to how Snow Cloak's Japanese name is "Yukigakure": Hidden in the snow.

As for the Veil moves, they all seem to be preventative Abilities:

Water Veil: Prevents Burns to this Pokemon; if a Pokemon were to gain this Ability while burned they'll be cured of it.
Sweet Veil: Prevents this Pokemon & allies from falling asleep or becoming drowsy from Yawn.
Aroma Veil: Prevent this Pokemon & allies from status moves that cause moves limitation.
Flower Veil: Prevents Grass-type Pokemon on your side of the field from being afflicted by status conditions and non-self induced stat reductions.
Pastel Veil: Prevents this Pokemon & allies from getting poisoned & heals any Pokemon on your side of the field that is poisoned when this Pokemon comes out.

Now out of all of them Pastel Veil looks to be the most versatile as it not only prevents it from happening to the user & allies but also cures allies of the condition when this Pokemon comes out. And Oddly Water Veil only affects the Pokemon which has it. If there's going to be a series of these Abilities I think they should coordinate them using Pastel Veil as the base (not only does it protect allies but cure them when the Pokemon with the Ability comes out).

Psychic and Fairy are both good in my book. In either case I hope Rapidash-G keeps the Fire and Ground moves of its regular form.
Ground, possibly if its Attack stat remains higher than its Special Attack. However from what it looks like I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped Attack with Special Attack. Not only would it have access to more Psychic-type moves rather then Zed Headbutt, but also can be given a few Fairy-type moves and maybe Ghost-type too depending the direction they want to go with it.

However I don't think it'll have any of its Fire-type moves.

They also updated the live stream page with screenshots of Pokemon that were found as well as a message from Sonia, which is just a word of thanks. The only two pictures that don't have a close up of a Pokemon are:
Also apparently there was a Rotom inside the livestream camera. Makes me wonder if Rotom is going to be in the Galar Dex or they all are legally owned by like a company that selectively breeds and offers them as a commodity.

(The english website was just updated. Ponyta's other ability is Run Away)
I more wonder what its Hidden Ability is. Normal Ponyta's is Flame Body but now it no longer has a body of flames.

It sounds like this was the first time many people saw a Galarian Ponyta. You’ll likely discover even more Pokémon we haven’t seen yet that live in Glimwood Tangle, too, if you visit there when you explore the Galar region.
Would have been nice to see some of them or at least bits of them!

So the forest is full of Grass and Fairy types. Maybe Ponyta is supposed to be some sort of protector of the forest or the Pokémon. Being Psychic and with its ability, maybe it protects the Pokémon there by scaring away the Poison Type mons which those mons are all weak to.
Now I like this theory! It actually made me completely turn around whether thinking it should be a Fairy-type if the intention was it being a protector of a location filled with Fairy- and Grass-types.

Or maybe it's just going to be a common pest in Galar to the point that the "researchers" don't feel it's worth mentioning. :P
Sonia: Well glad we got some nice shots of Galarain Ponyta for all of you!
Players: What about Impidimp?
Sonia: Huh? Those rascals? Like, let's not and say we did, I can't even.
Players: But they're new!
Sonia: Oh you sweet naive soul *pats us on head*.

It's "The Emperor's New Pokémon"
So since we can see them are we worthy or fools?
Something else to point out in relation to Ponyta's typing: Many old myths and tales about unicorns cited their ability to cure poison, "unicorn horns" were even used as medicine. Pastel Veil reflects this with it granting immunity to and curing poison. With all this in mind, choosing a type that in itself is super-effective against Poison makes sense, especially over a type that's actually weak to Poison.
Yet a Cresselia feather can chase off Darkrai. ;P

Btw, I have no idea of what this Impidimp thing you're talking about is.
That's because...

*dramatic turn around, takes off sunglasses, and stares into your soul*

... you were Impidimp all along.

must be a glitch or something
And the gaslight isn't flickering.

Now the "reliable" leak mentioned Sobble's evolution line is spy-based so would be hard not to be bias. So instead for this video just going to point out anything else interesting:
  • Sobble's shy & meek design is a rarity for Starters and that was attributed to a new style of designing Pokemon: the visual designer and gameplay/feature planner form teams to come up with Pokemon designs.
  • Sobble specifically was designed by two woman. At that point they already had energetic Scorbunny and mood-maker Grookey so wanted one that was more subdue.
  • GF wasn't sure how Sobble would do internationally though felt Japan would think it's cute because they'd feel sorry for it.
  • The evolutions will make sense why the Starters have a connection to the region.
BTW Scorbunny's video was also released:
  • Much like other Fire-type Starters, Scorbunny does have a part of its body that produces fire: the yellow marks on the bottom of its feet.
  • Points out that the yellow mark on Scorbunny's nose is much like how in other manga/anime show a energetic & rambunctious character with a bandage on their nose.
  • Thinks a person who would pick Scorbunny is someone that likes to run around. Well I can tell you that's already wrong...
  • You never know what direction its evolution is going to take, hmm.
  • All the Starter's silhouettes are distinct from one another.
  • James Turner likes Sobble, Ohmori likes Grookey, and Masuda like Scorbunny. What do you think, does what we were told about the Starter's personality match with the GF employee who likes them? Apparently Ohmori is a party guy?

Yes... and no. It's actually five. In Japan the "Veil" moves are Water Veil, Sweet Veil, Aroma Veil, Flower Veil, and Pastel Veil (they all end in "Beru" in Japan). Sand Veil's Japanese name is "Suna Gakure" which translates to "Hidden in Sand", similar to how Snow Cloak's Japanese name is "Yukigakure": Hidden in the snow.

Water Veil: Prevents Burns to this Pokemon; if a Pokemon were to gain this Ability while burned they'll be cured of it.
Sweet Veil: Prevents this Pokemon & allies from falling asleep or becoming drowsy from Yawn.
Aroma Veil: Prevent this Pokemon & allies from status moves that cause moves limitation.
Flower Veil: Prevents Grass-type Pokemon on your side of the field from being afflicted by status conditions and non-self induced stat reductions.
Pastel Veil: Prevents this Pokemon & allies from getting poisoned & heals any Pokemon on your side of the field that is poisoned when this Pokemon comes out.

Now out of all of them Pastel Veil looks to be the most versatile as it not only prevents it from happening to the user & allies but also cures allies of the condition when this Pokemon comes out. And Oddly Water Veil only affects the Pokemon which has it. If there's going to be a series of these Abilities I think they should coordinate them using Pastel Veil as the base (not only does it protect allies but cure them when the Pokemon with the Ability comes out).
When all the -ate abilities came out Normalize was retconned to give STAB, though it was done a generation after. Type Variation Moves (thunderbolt/flamethrower/ice beam, psychic/bug buzz/earth power, etc.) also stay mostly consistent in that if one is buffed/nerfed so are the others. GameFreak seems to like consistency in this regard, so I think they’ll retcon the rest of the veil moves to fit in with the new one, especially with the emphasis they want to put on competitive this year.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Galarian Ponyta officially revealed, got a message for new JAPE. What I'll say I was also surprised of the Psychic-typing but something someone said later has it make sense. That said is now does sort of makes it look like Pokemon copies My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic since, in that show, the unicorn ponies were able to us magic/psychic powers thanks to their horns (and just look at Galarian Ponyta, Hasbro is either knocking on Nintendo's door with a subpeona or a contract deal).

True, a drumming gorilla is a popular suggestion by many and I do agree it does feel like the most obvious direction to go. With them saying the stick wasn't really that important to its evolution I tried to take another angle, though I did forget it's codename is "Gorilla1".

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't have to use its stick to play the drums, could just replace the stick with a drum (like how Oshawott replaces its scalchops with seamitars when becomes Samurott).

Though you know what, I'm kind of tired of Dual-type Starters, how about we make all the Starters mono-type this gen?

Ground, possibly if its Attack stat remains higher than its Special Attack. However from what it looks like I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped Attack with Special Attack. Not only would it have access to more Psychic-type moves rather then Zed Headbutt, but also can be given a few Fairy-type moves and maybe Ghost-type too depending the direction they want to go with it.

However I don't think it'll have any of its Fire-type moves.

Also apparently there was a Rotom inside the livestream camera. Makes me wonder if Rotom is going to be in the Galar Dex or they all are legally owned by like a company that selectively breeds and offers them as a commodity.

I more wonder what its Hidden Ability is. Normal Ponyta's is Flame Body but now it no longer has a body of flames.

Would have been nice to see some of them or at least bits of them!

Now I like this theory! It actually made me completely turn around whether thinking it should be a Fairy-type if the intention was it being a protector of a location filled with Fairy- and Grass-types.

Sonia: Well glad we got some nice shots of Galarain Ponyta for all of you!
Players: What about Impidimp?
Sonia: Huh? Those rascals? Like, let's not and say we did, I can't even.
Players: But they're new!
Sonia: Oh you sweet naive soul *pats us on head*.

So since we can see them are we worthy or fools?

Yet a Cresselia feather can chase off Darkrai. ;P

That's because...

And the gaslight isn't flickering.

Now the "reliable" leak mentioned Sobble's evolution line is spy-based so would be hard not to be bias. So instead for this video just going to point out anything else interesting:
  • Sobble's shy & meek design is a rarity for Starters and that was attributed to a new style of designing Pokemon: the visual designer and gameplay/feature planner form teams to come up with Pokemon designs.
  • Sobble specifically was designed by two woman. At that point they already had energetic Scorbunny and mood-maker Grookey so wanted one that was more subdue.
  • GF wasn't sure how Sobble would do internationally though felt Japan would think it's cute because they'd feel sorry for it.
  • The evolutions will make sense why the Starters have a connection to the region.
BTW Scorbunny's video was also released:
  • Much like other Fire-type Starters, Scorbunny does have a part of its body that produces fire: the yellow marks on the bottom of its feet.
  • Points out that the yellow mark on Scorbunny's nose is much like how in other manga/anime show a energetic & rambunctious character with a bandage on their nose.
  • Thinks a person who would pick Scorbunny is someone that likes to run around. Well I can tell you that's already wrong...
  • You never know what direction its evolution is going to take, hmm.
  • All the Starter's silhouettes are distinct from one another.
  • James Turner likes Sobble, Ohmori likes Grookey, and Masuda like Scorbunny. What do you think, does what we were told about the Starter's personality match with the GF employee who likes them? Apparently Ohmori is a party guy?
Rotom forms were seen in battle in the VGC items trailer, so yeah Rotom's in the Galar Pokedex.

When all the -ate abilities came out Normalize was retconned to give STAB, though it was done a generation after. Type Variation Moves (thunderbolt/flamethrower/ice beam, psychic/bug buzz/earth power, etc.) also stay mostly consistent in that if one is buffed/nerfed so are the others. GameFreak seems to like consistency in this regard, so I think they’ll retcon the rest of the veil moves to fit in with the new one, especially with the emphasis they want to put on competitive this year.
Still waiting that consistency for Justified to have a Dark immunity like Motor Drive has to Electric.

That's because...

And I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their stupid Yamper!

Btw, I count 26 confirmed new Pokémon (with the new formes) and 4 gym leaders, only 3 of which are part of each adventure. This means that with about a month away, unless they do a new reveal every day (I doubt it), we're going to get into the game pretty blindly, and I enjoy this a lot. The feeling I got from RB was only replicated by BW, and these games live in my heart. Gen 7 is my favorite but I'm sure I'd enjoy it more if I didn't know almost everything going into the game. Gen 6 has the least amount of new Pokémon, with 72, while the biggest is gen V, with 156. If we are getting close to the former number, we know only a third of the dex. If we get close to the latter, it means we don't know over 100 new Pokémon, that would be a lot of new things to discover.

I'm ok with that. Following the trickle of news, I'm positive we won't discover more than 20 new Pokémon before the game is out unless they do something stupid to leak it away as they did the past two gens, so if we have more than 80 new Pokémon, we'll get to the games without knowing more than half the new additions o/

And I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their stupid Yamper!

Btw, I count 26 confirmed new Pokémon (with the new formes) and 4 gym leaders, only 3 of which are part of each adventure. This means that with about a month away, unless they do a new reveal every day (I doubt it), we're going to get into the game pretty blindly, and I enjoy this a lot. The feeling I got from RB was only replicated by BW, and these games live in my heart. Gen 7 is my favorite but I'm sure I'd enjoy it more if I didn't know almost everything going into the game. Gen 6 has the least amount of new Pokémon, with 72, while the biggest is gen V, with 156. If we are getting close to the former number, we know only a third of the dex. If we get close to the latter, it means we don't know over 100 new Pokémon, that would be a lot of new things to discover.

I'm ok with that. Following the trickle of news, I'm positive we won't discover more than 20 new Pokémon before the game is out unless they do something stupid to leak it away as they did the past two gens, so if we have more than 80 new Pokémon, we'll get to the games without knowing more than half the new additions o/
On one hand this sounds really appealing.
On the other hand I know I won't be able to stay away from the data dumped from early copies.

On the other hand I know I won't be able to stay away from the data dumped from early copies.
I will Definitely be looking at all the Pokemon data because I love the hell out of theorycrafting. (even if I ain’t amazing at it)

also customization options and music would be neat to find out about... but that may Involve story spoilers so I may try to skip it as best I can.

I'll probably look at the Pokémon, as I always do. Unless the data dump is, like, two days before release. I will be working hard afu for LAIC, and I don't even know if I'll be able to play the game at all on Day 1 (although I probably will walk around with my Switch, to steal playing moments here and there) so if the dump is a short while before, I may be able to control myself. If the data is dumped about a week before, then I won't be able to hold on.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Normalize also still isn't consistent with the other -ate abilities; as it doesn't give a 1.2X boost on top of STAB.
It does tho, 1.2x boost was added Gen 7 I believe
Still doesn't make it good. Normalize needs something extra for giving up Type coverage, like no matter what Type it's up against this Pokemon's Normal-type moves does neutral damage (maybe even go further by making moves that were originally Normal-type do Super Effective damage). Heck, even all that won't help make Skitty or Delcatty be good, though maybe get the Ability spread to other Normal-types. *shrugs*

also customization options and music would be neat to find out about... but that may Involve story spoilers so I may try to skip it as best I can.
Yeah, with how much they're keeping secret I'm going to try my best to not look at any information about the game once it's out. I tried to do that with SM and was mostly successful but curiosity got the better of me when I saw the Kotaku article about it... and accidentally spoiled myself with Mother Beast Lusamine (though only a quick glimpse, I saw I was challenging Lusamine and the splash image was a giant black Nihilego I immediately closed the window so didn't realize Lusamine was inside the Nihilego so was still a bit of a surprise when it happened).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)