BSS Battle Spot Singles 2019 Invitational - FINALS! [Won by: chemcoop]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
won in 4, gg's.
G1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7battlespotsingles-465415
G2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7battlespotsingles-465416
G3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7battlespotsingles-465417
G4: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7battlespotsingles-465418

I think I've shared this before, but I first joined this community when I saw DW post about the start of the first BSSC on Twitter. I'd been doing pretty well teaching myself competitive and BSS, and thought that BSSC would finally be my chance to prove to myself that I could become as good as I knew I could be. The invitationals title drove me to constantly improve over the past 3 years, and took me for a long ride filled with ups and downs. Even though I eventually got 2k on cart, had decent/solid BSPLs, and won 4 BSSC seasonals, it always seemed like I hadn't accomplished anything of note because of my two disappointing Invites results. The BSSC competition really ramped up this year, and it was awesome to see several new faces making their presence felt on the circuit. As glad as I was to see friends like zaaya doing well, I couldn't shake the feeling that the improved playerbase and a sense that I was losing my edge was going to keep me from the last Invitationals title of Gen 7. And yet, here we are, 3 incredible Invites sets later. Avenging my BSSC1 loss to jmal in quarters and slipping past a much improved and skilled player in marilli to make my first finals were big accomplishments in themselves, but I still had the toughest test ahead. Anyone that's in the loop for BSSC knows that my buddy greil and I have been the most dominant players of Gen 7 BSS. Facing off against him for my last shot at a Gen 7 invitationals title felt like a Hollywood script that no one knew the end to. When the Hippo came out instead of anything else in G4, I knew that Gengar had to be the last mon and I enjoyed the indescribable feeling of the weight of 3 years of Invites failure being instantly lifted. I'm pleased with the prep I put into this tournament and with my play in that final set. Big thanks to greil for a set filled with close, nail-biter games - I wouldn't have wanted to win any other way.

Okay, that's enough of my sentimental crap. Time for some shoutouts.
Psynergy: Thanks for pushing me on as a friendly rival the first 2 years of BSSC and for always being willing to talk Fire Emblem, BSS, or anything else. Having your experienced eyes look over some of the crazy stuff I wanted to bring to tours definitely affected the outcomes of several important sets over the years.

cant say: Having someone to commiserate about the shitshow that is Pokémon Ultra Salt and Ultra Mish has been great, and I love what you're doing with streams and bringing BSS content to the Western community. Keep up the great work and I'll try and make more content in SwSh to keep up with you.

DragonWhale: I used to think you hated me, but I know better now lol. Thanks for running interesting circuits these past 3 years - the tournaments and invites qualifying standards improved every year and have been an absolute blast.

greilmercenary9: Every set we've played has had fireworks and pushed both of us to become better players. Beyond our tour sets, it's been great to have in-depth BSS discussions with you as well as working through all the possible tournament scenarios, seasonal bracket predicts, and even Dewgong Cup lol

Mishimono, zaaya, Demantoid, AldrichYan: So long and thanks for all the mish. Knowing everyone in mishi society had each other's backs for BSSC was a huge relief and the support of all of you throughout this Invites tour was invaluable.

bobochan: I'm pretty sure my rage at your horribly inaccurate power rankings drove me to at least one seasonal win lol. Your friendliness and joy at BSPL every year helped make this community what it is today. Enjoy a well-deserved retirement bobo!

And to all the other members of this community that have been on this journey with me and that I have gotten to know the past 3 years, thank you for the wonderful memories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)