Max Raid Discussion Thread

Have you considered actually going into raids with resists instead of Pokemon weak to their stabs?....
Flygon's actually one of the freest raids as long as you go with fliers...

yes, raids with spread moves are the hardest, but going into them with stuff that's weak to them is kinda silly :P
I know that (I am the only one sensible enough to put in an Ice type Sivally while all my friends use things that are weak against Ground for that juicy wall busting Dynamax cannon), and I immediately added in that they still hurt like hell even if you do, more so if you have AI teammates which feels like they aren't even EV trained.

Last edited:
My friend and I took on a five star raid. Shuckle. With Contrary. After several hellish attempts, I remembered she had a Grapploct, so I suggested making use of Topsy-Turvy, while I resorted to Eternatus, landing heavy hits with Dynamax Cannon, and we finally won. Caught the Shuckle, too.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Super fang does the damage of their real HP stat, so if they have an HP stat of 400, it will do 200 damage to their 800 HP dyna form, but the damage will stop if it hits a shield threshold, so its not rlly good.

And yes, please test toxic, that could be massive for when you need to solo bcause of internet or something, you can toxic+follow me spam with a bulk mon
Super Fang made me wonder if Pain Split works. I don't have a Pain Split user, so can someone else try that?

As for Toxic, it doesn't look good. When the Raid Mon does that thing that nullifies whatever, it also heals Status Problems like Poison, (but Leech Seed stays for some reason) which makes it less reliable and about as good as regular Poison. There also aren't many Follow Me users and they only get Toxic through transfer, which we all know we can't do yet. There's only one Rage Powder user, Butterfree. It gets Poison Powder (with 97.5 Accuracy after Compound Eyes) and can be trained to Level 100 to make up for having the bulk of a Butterfree. If anyone tries this, I hope it works and good luck. Just remember that Rage and Poison Powder don't affect Grass Types.

A way less serious idea I'd like to see someone try if they're desperate and/or bored enough is Swagger. Glorious if it works, backfires halariously if it doesn't. With a 33% chance per turn after Gen 7 's nerf, it may take a few tries. :P

So far all "whatever percentage worth of damage" always deal damage (or adjusts HP) as if they have regular HP. So no I guess Pain Split isn't going to help a lot here.

Do the wild area 'spawns' have fixed nature and IVs? As in the ones that are always in the same spots (Snorlax after the bridge etc.).
No, they're completely random. Should be affected by Syncronize as usual.

They are normal pokemon. Just spawned from a higher level pool than the other ones.

My friend and I took on a five star raid. Shuckle. With Contrary. After several hellish attempts, I remembered she had a Grapploct, so I suggested making use of Topsy-Turvy, while I resorted to Eternatus, landing heavy hits with Dynamax Cannon, and we finally won. Caught the Shuckle, too.
tried using grapploct on a 5 star dubwool with cotton guard

seems like the defense drop of octolock doesn't occur when the turn ends with any barrier remaining, also seems like the boss just clears away any defense drops it accumulates from octolock anyways

also not sure if topsy turvy just doesn't work on barriers but when i tried using it to reverse the +6 defense on dubwool i got something like "the move was blocked by the powers of dynamax"

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
So far all "whatever percentage worth of damage" always deal damage (or adjusts HP) as if they have regular HP. So no I guess Pain Split isn't going to help a lot here.
When I read this last night, I was disappointed and admitted you were probobly right, but...
Do we know how 'Maxing interacts with Pain Split?
Before: 174/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 160/160 HP opponent
After: 210/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 123/160 HP opponent
Gmax mon gains 36 HP, opponent loses 37.

Before: 346/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 39/160 HP opponent
After: 279/346 HP Gmax mon (base HP 173) and 106/160 HP opponent
Gmax mon gains 67 HP, opponent loses 67.

Looks like it averages out the Gmax mon's base HP with the normal mon's HP.
It's good to be proven wrong.

I know Leech Seed doesn't get removed when the Pokemon gets rid of Stat changes and Status Problems, which made me wonder if Ghost Type Curse works the same way. The only problem I see is barriers because I'm not sure if those drains work while they're up. (Honestly, I wasn't paying enough attention. Sorry) If Octolock doesn't work, then I'm guessing other end of turn effects don't either.

I know Leech Seed doesn't get removed when the Pokemon gets rid of Stat changes and Status Problems, which made me wonder if Ghost Type Curse works the same way. The only problem I see is barriers because I'm not sure if those drains work while they're up. (Honestly, I wasn't paying enough attention. Sorry) If Octolock doesn't work, then I'm guessing other end of turn effects don't either.
Dots still take effect after barriers go up if they're already up.
However, they're not exactly reliable for doing damage (remember you're on a turn limit, and 10 turns aren't enough for purely a poison or leech seed tick to kill a raid)

Well, because I like math:
Toxic turn 1 and Leech seed turn 2 would do just over 450% damage over 10 turns. A theoretical group of 4 doing synchronized Toxic/Leech Seed/Ghost Curse/Binding Band Infestation (with two turns of downtime on the latter) would do just under 850% in the same timeframe, with 34 total player turns to spare.

How much HP do the raid bosses have?

Do we know if and how often raids automatically reset? I have a HA Ditto raid but I want to wait until server maintenance is done to do it.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere: you can only have one Wishing Piece raid up at a time. Using another one *anywhere* will clear your active Wishing Piece raid, and there is no warning of this.

Well, because I like math:
Toxic turn 1 and Leech seed turn 2 would do just over 450% damage over 10 turns. A theoretical group of 4 doing synchronized Toxic/Leech Seed/Ghost Curse/Binding Band Infestation (with two turns of downtime on the latter) would do just under 850% in the same timeframe, with 34 total player turns to spare.

How much HP do the raid bosses have?
Well, for starters, Toxic is worthless (or near worthless) because it gets cleared pretty quickly whenever they use that move that undoes stat changes on your party. So at most you get 2~3 weak ticks off. Also, I think it's been confirmed that anything that does % damage is based off of the base hp of the raid boss, not the scaled up raid boss. Of the things listed, the only one that likely does enough damage to be effective is Ghost Curse, but I haven't tested yet if that gets cleared or not.

Use lvl.100 eternatus with crit item then spam his special skill most 5 star raid would be easy even with 3AI. The real challenge on raid is 5 star rock and ground.

So I've been raiding solo for the past few days. My internet is bad making it hard to find teammates, and sometimes the ones I do find are even worse than the AI. But beating 5 star raids isn't particularly difficult even with the stupid AI partners. I've been able to solo every single 5 star raid with the following Pokemon.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Crunch
Stone Edge
Superpower
Earthquake

Choice Band doesn't work while Dynamax but it does on the 4th turn required to kill some 5 star raids. Life Orb deals consistent damage but the life loss is kind of annoying especially when I have to have my attack negated to activate the enemy shields. I use Choice Band 90% of the time but switch to Life Orb if I have trouble. I think switching between the "20% type buff" items like Soft Sand is probably best but I'm too lazy to deal with that micro shit. The moves are pretty easy to pick. Pretty much what gives me the best offensive coverage. Ice Punch > EQ probably work as well but I don't like Ice Punch summoning Hail and ruining my sand. Sandstorm is important as other than giving me a sp def buff it helps chip away at the raid boss. It isn't much but every little bit matters when your ally thinks a Magikarp or Togepi is acceptable.

EVs outrun a lot. Idk what speed tiers there are but I've outrun every single thing I have faced. Generally you go first and hit the opponent hard enough for it to summon a shield. Then your allies fuck around spamming garbage moves but if you're lucky they'll take away 2-3 shield bars. Next turn you hit again hopefully finishing off the shield, debuffing the Boss's defenses, and dealing spillover damage. Your allies should hopefully deal enough damage to it at -2 to get it to set up another shield. tl;dr just spam the same move until you win. If you lose just restart but I think I won like 95% of raids on the first try.

The AI partners suck but as long as they actually attack they can wear down shields quickly. Wobbuffet is by far the worst teammate. Seriously fuck this thing I think I've seen it do damage twice. At least the Togepi and Clefairy spam Life Dew to help keep themselves from dying. Magikarp isn't as bad as you might think because at least that god damn fish clicks attack moves every turn. It more consistently performs than the fucking Wobuffet.

Tyranitar has almost 700 HP and 1.5x sp def so it's really bulky. I don't think 5 star raids are level 100 so pretty much nothing directly threatens it, even STAB Fighting. It has taken down Hydreigon, Torkoal, Sandaconda, Hitmonchan, Bewear, Dreadnaw, Toxapex, and Hippowdon raids without much effort. Of course favorable type matchups like vs Xatu / Butterfree are cake.

I think any hard hitting Pokemon works. Just pick 4 moves with good coverage and spam super effective hits. 5 star raids are easy to solo even without specialized counters. Even if the AI can be dumb.

Use lvl.100 eternatus with crit item then spam his special skill most 5 star raid would be easy even with 3AI. The real challenge on raid is 5 star rock and ground.
Why a crit item?

I've found that past a certain threshold, damage just doesn't matter, because you hit HP milestones. Breaking the barriers is the hard part, and anything beyond "using an attacking move" is redundant. I brought Dynamax Cannon to a lot of raids, but have almost never needed to use it. The challenging part is keeping the AI alive -- I can have the absolute maximum possible damage output and it just won't be enough, especially on Pokemon like Galvantula. (Things without spread moves are usually manageable)

Meanwhile, Dynamax lets you break two barriers at once, so not being able to do it is a significant liability.

With the type versatility, I think Silvally would be quite useful in raids.

I can confirm that Silvally has been doing wonders for me.
Only problem? Joining online Raids hosted by others. I can't switch items when I'm choosing my Pokémon, meaning I can only hope to get lucky and happen upon a Raid Boss weak to the type Silvally is at that very moment.

yeah, after doing 5 star toxtricity a couple times with him spamming boomburst and overdrive 3 times a turn i can definitely say that survivability is the greatest attribute you can have for multiplayer, bulky powerhouses like rhyperior, tyranitar, copperajah etc that can resist attacks and hit back hard enough trump everything else imo, a gmax lapras or alcremie for even more bulkiness would probably be unbeatable i think

Also things that have at least one priority move and a serious damaging move so that you can at least take out one layer of shield in cases you will otherwise die

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)