SS OU A New Region, A New Adventure! (ft. Gallade)

Hello everyone!

Boy, it's been SO long since I've last been here. Now that we've moved on to Generation 8, it's time to head back into competitive team-building with the Pokemon I've encountered on my journey. I'm one of those Trainers who are looking forward to see what sort of strategies I'd expect when I give it my all, using the team I'm raising. It was a challenge but here's my team built around Gallade, my all-time favorite Pokemon I'm currently making in Pokemon Sword.

1574595393643.png

Jolteon
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 Def/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Volt Absorb
Held Item: Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Weather Ball
Volt Switch

This guy's pretty much like the Jolteon we normally see in previous games but with the absence of Hidden Power surprisingly. My team needed that needed a Pokemon that is super-speedy and gives a mighty ZAP to Water and Flying types such as opposing Corviknights and this team member makes the correct role for that.

Thunderbolt and Volt Switch are always recommended when it comes to sheer power (not the ability) and preparing for what's coming next. Shadow Ball is for hitting Psychic and Ghost types and it's pretty much one of the only powerful moves available. Now I've chosen Weather Ball for Jolteon after my experience at the Battle Tower. I didn't realize it could learn it and how effective it was depending on the weather. So I came up with an idea. Once my Hippowdon's Sandstorm comes in, the moves' type changes to Ground, that way it could take out opposing Electric types and possibly OHKO Coalossal. Think of it as Hidden Power 1.5.

One thing's for sure, it's frail and vulnerable to Ground-types. If I see one, I switch out for Corviknight to evade those kind of attacks and even with Life Orb equipped, Jolteon would still have trouble finishing off certain Pokemon that are specially defensive and it can be outsped by the likes of Dragapult and Choice Scarf users so I have to be careful of them when this buddy's out on the field.

1574591773436.png

Hippowdon
Nature: Impish
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Sand Stream
Held Item: Leftovers
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Whirlwind
Stealth Rock
Slack Off

Here is the physical tank of my team. Hippowdon is known for taking plenty of physical blows and set up Stealth Rock support to disrupt my opponent's plays. When it comes to making a team, Stealth Rock is mandatory to gain the advantage on the battlefield.

Earthquake is self-explanatory as it is its most-powerful move. Without it, Hippowdon will do no good. The second move is a choice between Stone Edge and Whirlwind. Stone Edge is good to OHKO the likes of Charizard and Whirlwind is good for phazing, increasing the effectiveness of Stealth Rock. But I have to decide which is which, however I'm setting my eyes on Whirlwind. Lastly, Slack Off is for it to play the long game and keep on battling.

Even though its one of the big tanks in my team, it can't handle special Water and Grass-type moves. Inteleon's and Pelipper's Hydro Pump and Max Overgrowth are prime examples of this. Corviknight is capable of handling Grass-type attacks but can suffer the same way when it gets soaked by powerful Water-types. So Rain Dance teams are pretty much the bane of its existence.

1574592470640.png

Corviknight
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Sp.Def
Abiity: Pressure
Held Item: Leftovers
Drill Peck
Body Press
Defog
Roost

What can I say about this Pokemon? It's brilliant during my Pokemon Sword play through and how it works as a team-supporter. I consider this one the specially-defensive one out of the team as it is needed to maintain balance when it comes to defense. I call Corviknight Skarmory 2.0. Its role is to remove the opposing Stealth Rocks, Spikes and Toxic Spikes on my side of the field so that my other team members won't get a "rocky start" when switched out.

I chose Drill Peck over Brave Bird because I don't want it to suffer too much recoil, leaving it completely vulnerable to finishing blows. For example, if it takes down a Fighting-type or a Grass-type with a heavy Brave Bird, it would take a lot of recoil damage, meaning it wouldn't take as much hits than usual. But if it takes them down with Drill Peck, it would still be in top shape. Body Press is another option I myself considered for more type coverage against the likes of Ferrothorn. Based on how much defense Corviknight has, this move does a great deal of damage when used correctly. Defog again makes it remove all possible dangers my team would have and Roost to keep it running on the long run.

Even with the right amount of Defense and Special Defense possible, this Pokemon still falls flat on Fire and Electric-types. When used at a wrong time, Corviknight would become fried chicken. Another weakness it has is it can also be tanked by Toxapex, opposing Corviknights and even Ferrothorns with Leech Seed. The tank can become the tanked in some scenarios.

1574593513084.png

Grimmsnarl
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Ability: Prankster
Held Item: Choice Band
Play Rough
Darkest Lariat
Sucker Punch
Trick

Now this Pokemon I definitely like due to how effective it is with both its typing and moves. It is known for its brutal power and team disruptions with the help of Choice Band. I consider this the wallbreaker out of the team as I explain why.

Play Rough and Darkest Lariat are both needed for a choice powerhouse as in some scenarios, it must have as much offense to bring down certain Pokemon such as Runerigus, Chandelure, Conkeldurr and Golurk and since Galarian Darmanitan is considered to be one of the most-dangerous Pokemon to face when holding Choice Scarf, Sucker Punch is there to give it a speed priority, taking it out. Last but not least, Trick. Thanks to its Prankster ability, this guy doesn't need to worry about being outsped by fast walls as it swaps Choice Band for potential Leftovers from tanky Pokemon. This would give Aegislash, Toxapex, Ferrothorn and other certain threats that set up a run for their money.

However, it has plenty of trouble when burned by Sableye and Galarian Weezing as it mostly relies on its physical strength to win. Not only that, it also has a big disadvantage over Gigantamax Butterfree, Duraludon and Poison/Steel Silvally. Those are the threats my Grimmsnarl needs to watch out for.

1574595863938.png

Gallade
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 4 Def/252 Atk/252 Spe
EVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Ability: Steadfast
Held Item: Lum Berry
Zen Headbutt
Close Combat
Poison Jab
Swords Dance

Here it is! Gallade, my top favorite all the way back from the Sinnoh region. He's such a heroic Pokemon who protects the defenseless from any harm with his bladed arms. His sword play, heroism, typing and moves are why I'll always love this Pokemon. I'm so glad he's in the Galar region and it fits since the region's based on the UK. You know what they say; It's a lot more fun when you play using your personal favorites. He may not have a Mega Evolution anymore, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to fight as he used to!

Zen Headbutt has a chance of flinching his opponent, Close Combat is what he's always go at: Rushing in and going oraoraoraora. Both are top-priority moves since they are the most powerful out of the other STAB moves. Since it can have trouble with Fairy-types, it's got Poison Jab to handle those sort of threats, not all of them depending on their strength and speed. Finally, Swords Dance to give himself some extra oomph. It's a good idea to set up with Swords Dance with Lum Berry equipped so it wouldn't be hit by a status-afflicting move once, give it a chance to sweep, especially when it Dynamaxes. Once it's done that, Gallade will show that mercy isn't in the dictionary. Now if only he has a Gigantamax form...

He still has drawbacks through. Fast Flying-types, Ghost-types and Fairy-types can take him down in an instant even when he has a good amount of Special Defense. Plus when he has Poison Jab, he can be completely walled by the likes of Polteageist, Gourgeist and other unmentioned physical tanks. So everything has to rely on timing to gain victory.

1574594717220.png

Dragapult
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
Ability: Infiltrator
Held Item: Choice Specs
Draco Meteor
Shadow Ball
Fire Blast
U-Turn

After looking through my team, I was having tough decisions on what my last team member would be. I've only had 1 special attacker and 4 physical attackers in total so I needed another special attacker to not take the risk on being walled by physical tanks. Then, I came across Dragapult, the pseudo-legendary Pokemon of the Galar region. It's amazingly fast and has good Special Attack. There may be better options on what my second Special Attacker would be but for now, this one will have to do.

With the combination of Choice Specs, Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball are its two most powerful moves. Psychic, Ghost and opposing Dragon-types such as Gengar, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Galarian Rapidash, Hydreigon, Haxorus and Kommo-o would become sitting ducks. Fire Blast is for scorching the likes of Ferrothorn, Eldegoss and Whimsicott on an open fire and U-Turn for its scouting techniques.

It may have a big burst of speed, but it can be stopped when Sucker Punched and out-sped by Choice Scarf users such as Galarian Darmanitan. Speed sometimes doesn't mean everything when it comes to facing these sort of threats.

And that's my first Pokemon Sword competitive OU team at the moment. In my opinion, it has great potential but I think its greatest weakness is Rain Dance Teams since they cannot withstand Water-type moves that much compared to other move types. But, there's always room for improvement.

Is there anything I need to change for example, replacing a Pokemon for something else or changing a particular moveset. Please let me know as your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and stay fresh out there! ;)

(Sorry for not making it a lot more neater than it should. Curse these unresponsive alignment problems.)

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Yo christopher_ 1942,

Gallade is an overlooked pick in SS OU which actually has some potential, being able to destroy the FerroPexCorsola core and generally being a decent wallbreaker thanks to Swords Dance, nice STAB combo, and Knock Off, limited distribution of which made it even more valuable move. Your team definitely needs an improvement to work properly in the metagame, and I'm going to suggest you some changes which, I believe, will make your team way better.

Major Changes
>
:
when I was looking through your team, the first thing I immediately decided to remove is Jolteon. Jolteon just sucks, there's no denying, especially now that it lost Hidden Power. So, my first suggestion is to replace Jolteon with Toxtricity. Firstly, it gives your squad a win condition with Shift Gear. Secondly, Toxtricity is a better offensive check to Corviknight, as Overdrive ignores its Substitute, and Hawlucha, as Toxtricity resists its STABs and retaliates with Overdrive. Also Toxtricity is a decent check to Fairy-types like Clefable and Togekiss, which can be annoying for the rest of your team. By the way: Boomburst on the neutral hit inflicts more damage than Overdrive on the same neutral hit; keep this in mind when playing.
>
:
the second major change I'd suggest is putting Seismitoad over Hippowdon. Seismitoad drastically improves your matchup against Dracovish and Dracozolt, gives you a countermeasure to rain teams, and completely shuts down Rotom-W (unless it's a Trick + Choice Scarf variant) and Rotom-H.
>
:
the last my major change is replacing Grimmsnarl with Clefable. Grimmsnarl really is an unfit here, especially the Choice Band set you have right now. Clefable, alternatively, gives you a sturdier Dragapult check and provides Wish support, especially appreciated by Seismitoad. Fire Blast also does an alright job in overwhelming Ferrothorn for Toxtricity and prevents Clefable from being helpless against Aegisash.

Minor Changes
: my first minor change will be giving your Gallade Knock Off instead of Poison Jab. Knock Off notably lets Gallade remove items from the likes of Clefable and Galarian Corsola as well as hits the aforementioned Galarian Corsola and Jellicent much harder than anything else. Also I'd change Gallade's ability to Justified but it's very minor and situational.
: your Corviknight's EV spread is very weird right now. I suggest the 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD spread alongside an Impish nature. It enables Corviknight to survive two Shadow Balls from Modest Choice Specs Dragapult.
: finally, I'd give your Dragapult Thunderbolt over U-turn: it allows Dragapult to revenge kill Gyarados even at +1 while hitting both Corviknight and Toxapex as well as some occasional Mandibuzz reliably.

~~~

Well, that's all! This team was certainly fun to rate. I did my best in keeping the original version's spirit while adapting the squad to the current SS OU metagame. I hope you'll like my take on your team! Have a good day! Below you can find the importable by clicking the sprites.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)