SS OU Gen 8 Sun Team!

Hello, folks! After multiple battles in OU, I decided to be creative and run a Sun Team! This team is powered through sunlight to teach the
world how sunlight can make us live and gain more energy through Vitamins! Sunlight also weakens those pesky rain teams who tend to ruin everyone's day (except for them, of course.) There has been less rain teams throughout the gen and with your help, we can make all the rain population go extinct! Instead of hazards, the team only focuses on offensive power (so the sun could last as long) so if there's any Pokémon who supports hazards on sun teams, please give me feedback. Thanks!!

THE TEAM

Heat Rock icon
Heat Rock icon

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Extrasensory

- Ninetales uses its Damp Rock to shine as much sun on the team as possible for every Pokémon to enjoy!
- Nasty Plot is supposed to weaken a part of the team with Fire Blast as STAB, and Solar Beam and Extrasensory as coverage.
- Memento was also an option, but I wanted to keep Ninetales safe since its the only one who can set up the Sun!

Life Orb icon
Life Orb icon

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Throat Chop
- Rock Slide

- Grass-Types like the sun, right? Shiftry loves to get energy through sun thanks to its ability, Chlorophyll, doubling speed.
- Swords Dance, Life Orb, and Adamant all make Shiftry make a great sweeper thanks to Chlorophyll.
- Leaf Blade, Throat Chop are great STAB moves and Rock Slide is decent coverage.
Leftovers iconImage result for salazzle spriteLeftovers icon

Salazzle (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute

- Salazzle is the most threatening on the team. Nasty Plot helps it wallbreak through a lot of Pokémon!
- Oblivious makes it immune to Taunt, granting a free Sub/Nasty Plot!
- Sludge Wave and Fire Blast are great STAB moves, with Fire Blast being even stronger in the sun!
- Salazzle is pretty frail, but Leftovers is used for Substitute Recovery (Life Orb is too much recoil)
Life Orb icon
Life Orb icon

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed

- Dogs especially like the sun! Justified boosts its strong attack, making it an even bigger threat!
- Flare Blitz is a strong STAB move, while Wild Charge and Extreme Speed are decent coverage moves!
- Arcanine takes too much recoil damage so Morning Sun is the best option here.
Life Orb icon
Life Orb icon

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast

- Here's our second Grass-Type on the team (Plants sure do like Sun, huh?) Whimsicott also gets Chlorophyll and the move Growth, boosting its Special Attack and Attack by 2 in the sun.
- Energy Ball and Moonblast are great STAB moves!
- Shadow Ball is for coverage such as Steel-Types!

Image result for cinderace

Cinderace @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Court Change

- For the last teammate on the team, we have Cinderace! It cant get access to Librero yet, but is really fast and strong in the Sun!
- Expert Belt increases damage against weak opponents!
- Pyro Ball is STAB, while High Jump Kick is a great coverage move and it can even pivot out with U-Turn.
-Court Change removes hazards and swaps it with the opponents, which makes sense since theres no hazard setter on this team.

Image result for salazzle sprite
Image result for cinderace

CONCLUSION
In conclusion, the team focuses on using the Sun so that its boosted Fire moves and Chlorophyll can find a role in weakening the opposing team! The team does share their types together, so please give me feedback on the team. Thanks!!

REPLAYS

Last edited:
:torkoal: > :ninetales:
:leafeon: > :shrifty:
on Shrifty fit sucker punch somewhere in there
why does your salazzle only have 3 moves
why does it have lefties it's an offensive mon
Arcanine intimidate is generally better even with its indirect nerf since it's not taking any hits
whimmiscott is better prankster
run leafeon or charizard, hell even vileplume works here
Why ebelt on cinderace run heavy duty boots

I'm not sure how I feel about Ninetails as your premiere Drought user, at least for the set you're running on it. It has enough speed to outspeed most defensive mons so you may feel like you could set up a Nasty Plot on those mons, but unfortunately it doesn't learn Taunt for those slower Defensive mons and it doesn't have enough speed to outspeed offensive threats like Scarf Darm, Dragapult, Cinderace, and such. And unfortunately Dugtrio traps it, guaranteeing its demise and losing your Drought user. Finally, I feel as if Nasty Plot itself could be a minus for Ninetails since it does not learn any Flying moves which means it cannot get +Spe on Dmax. This means that although it can boost it's S.Atk, it can easily be revenge-killed even without priority before Ninetails can start sweeping.

You could play a bit aggressively defensive with Ninetails as an option. It learns Encore, Memento, Hypnosis, Wisp, Disable, Substitute. And of course Fire Blast/Flamethrower can be the single damaging move to chip away on potential switch-ins. Dark Pulse also being an option vs Jellicent switch-ins, which is starting to see more play on a variety of teams.

This is my personal preference, but I'd rather make Shiftry into a Special Sweeper over a Physical Sweeper so that it doesn't have to worry about being burned by Wisp and having it's main offensive stat being halved. It can learn quite a pool of Special moves: Air Slash (for +Spe Dmax), Dark Pulse, Energy Ball, Heat Wave, Extrasensory, Focus Blast, etc. It also gains access to Nasty Plot so yeah it's just my preference though.

Salazzle is pretty nice tech here, as it's not a mon that usually comes to mind (at least my mind) when it comes to building a sun team, though it being part Poison type means it can get rid of Toxic Spikes which is nice for clearing that specific hazard off of your field if you are unable to switch into Cinderace for any reason and not wanting to use up a turn for Court Change.

I think Intimidate on Arcanine would be better, though I feel like Arcanine as a whole is just here to hit Water and Water Flying types with its Wild Charge, the main targets being Pelliper and Gyarados. I don't really feel like Arcanine really helps this team much other than using Wild Charge, in which case you can find better Pokes who learn Electric moves to put Water types in check- Dragapult being one of the better options, especially since it is part ghost, giving you immunity vs Normal and Fighting moves as well as immunity vs Arena Trap ability.

I'd prefer Prankster for Whimiscot. Spamming Substitute with Prankster vs Dmax mons can also help you stall their Dmax out until they return back to normal. Yes, they still get their effects off, but their double HP has run out which can be very important in some cases where you wouldn't be able to kill their Dmax'd mon. After that you can then you just revenge-kill them with a Ditto or whatever other means you have of dealing with their once Dmax'd mon who probably has a couple of boosts by now.

If Cinderace is going to be your form of Hazards control, then I would suggest having it hold Heavy Duty Boots so that you may get more uses out of it especially if the opponent has heavily set up multiple hazards on your field.

That's pretty much it from me. I prefer Torkoal over Ninetails, but it doesn't mean Ninetails is unsuable.

I would put heavy duty boots on cinderace so he can come in on hazards of any type and flip em (including t-spikes, without getting worn down & statused)

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Extrasensory
Instead of Ninetails I'd recommend Torkoal

Here's a set for it!:

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Instead of Ninetails I'd recommend Torkoal

Here's a set for it!:

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Thanks! Torkoal can't learn Toxic this gen so i'll just replace it with Yawn.

I've been thinking of making a sun team with charizard and torkoal, bit lost on the rest of the team but so far looked at whimsicott, and mimikuy because it's cute. Which of mons would you replace with solar power charizard?
Will also add this is my first time trying out making a competitive team in pokemon

Solar Power Charizard is strong, but for a threatening Pokémon i'm currently using Chlorophyll sweepers like Shiftry since it can also learn setup sweeping moves like Nasty Plot
Ditto is also a nice revenge killer

I've been thinking of making a sun team with charizard and torkoal, bit lost on the rest of the team but so far looked at whimsicott, and mimikuy because it's cute. Which of mons would you replace with solar power charizard?
Will also add this is my first time trying out making a competitive team in pokemon
Definitely sun abusers like Leafeon or Shrifty.
Charizard makes a terrifying wallbreaker.
Double weather (looking at you TTar) goes really nice with sun
Then you probably want something to hit bulky fires(ttar generally isn't enough)

Does Torkoal go well with Darmanitan? I have read that Ninetales and it go together, don't know about the other one.

Does Torkoal go well with Darmanitan? I have read that Ninetales and it go together, don't know about the other one.
Hey! The team is a bit outdated rn, but Torkoal and Darmanitan actually go pretty well together, as Choice Banded Flare Blitz under Sun is definitely worth running imo. You can also use Ninetales, which runs more utility in its sets or is just a secondary sun setter.

• Sad
Reactions: amg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)