Battle Spot Sandaconda

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
name: Sand Support
move 1: Glare
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Focus Sash / Sitrus Berry / Smooth Rock
ability: Sand Spit
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Thanks to Sandaconda's unique ability, Sand Spit, Sandaconda ensures sand is set up, even when hit by Dynamax moves that change weather! Sandaconda doesn't even need to survive the attack; just getting hit activates Sand Spit. With Glare providing useful paralysis support against even Ground-types, as well as access to Stealth Rock, Sandaconda makes for a useful supportive member of sand teams. Rock Tomb adds to this utility further, providing extra speed control and damage against common foes like Mimikyu and Rotom-H.

An Adamant nature with maximum Speed and Attack gives Sandaconda the most offensive presence possible. A Jolly nature is also an option, ensuring that Sandaconda always outspeeds Cloyster, as well as Choice Scarf Hydreigon after paralysis. Alternately, a bulkier EV spread of 220 HP / 108 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe with an Adamant nature ets Sandaconda survive a +2 Life Orb Play Rough from Mimikyu and Excadrill's Life Orb-boosted Max Steelspike, while outspeeding +1 Gyarados after paralysis and Jolly Mimikyu after Rock Tomb. If even more bulk is needed, consider an Adamant nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe, giving Sandaconda enough bulk to survive two Earthquakes from Adamant Excadrill.

Focus Sash may seem strange for a fairly bulky Pokemon, but it guarantees Sandaconda will set up Stealth Rock or Glare, even against powerful special attackers and Max moves. If another teammate already has a Focus Sash, Smooth Rock makes for a fine choice for keeping the sand up longer, though note that sand often has an extra turn than usual already due to Sand Spit's mechanics. Sitrus Berry works well with bulkier EV spreads as well.

Since Sandaconda is a supportive Pokemon for sand teams, Excadrill should almost always be used with it, as it becomes a terrifying sweeper under the sand. It's also wise to consider Pokemon that benefit from the paralysis support Sandaconda provides, including bulkier setup sweepers like Hydreigon, Mimikyu, and Togekiss. Also, consider teammates that can deal with Pokemon that threaten both Sandaconda and Excadrill, such as Corviknight and bulky Water-types. Rotom-W is a great choice against Corviknight and most Water-types, while Rillaboom does very well against Rotom-W. Both these Pokemon benefit from Glare support in return.

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok from talking with discord with ika and marilli, I added a Jolly spread because outspeeding Scarf Hydregion and Jolly Cloyster sounds pretty useful! I still have the Impish spread there, its just set comments since its much more specfic than the other spreads.

Also, I generally prefer to have at least 2 items per mon in this format considering how restrictive item clause can be at times, especially since Focus Sash Sand Rush Excadrill is totally a thing. Anyone got any ideas? I'm sorta thinking random resist berries like Passho Berries or something, but honestly I'm not sure because I've only used Focus Sash lol

Theorymon

does smooth rock work with sand spit?
I tested it, it does, so I slashed it in! I also replaced the Impish spread with a slightly better Adamant, I was a doofus and accidently put Sandaconda as have 121 defense instead of 125, so this spread gives you a bit more power than the Impish one.

Smooth rock has reduced funtion with sand spit compared to sand stream imo, though definitely has a valid use.
Because the sand activation if often delayed if the game starts with non-attacking moves the extra turns aren't as useful as with sand stream.
I think Sitrus is worth considering too on the bulkier spreads if Sash is elsewhere.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
QC 1/2 I think is deserved after all the discussion & experiments and teambuilding we have done with this. I do think Focus Sash and 252/252 is superior over the defensive investments TBH, and I thought this was what you ended up settling on, too.

Theorymon

QC 1/2 I think is deserved after all the discussion & experiments and teambuilding we have done with this. I do think Focus Sash and 252/252 is superior over the defensive investments TBH, and I thought this was what you ended up settling on, too.
Oh yeah, I forgot to put that back in. The main set is now 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, with the bulkier spreads mentioned in the preview now. Only need one more check now btw \o/

With 252/252 being the main spread (which I'm in favour of btw) this line needs rewording since bulk is now the exception and not the standard
Focus Sash may seem strange with such bulk investment, but they guarantee Sandaconda will set up Stealth Rock or Glare, even against powerful Special Attackers and Max moves.
Other than that, I think having Togekiss in the list of bulkier setup sweepers (final paragraph), probably over Rotom formes, would be nice in my opinion.
qc2/2

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[SET]
name: Sand Support
move 1: Glare
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Focus Sash / Sitrus Berry / Smooth Rock
ability: Sand Spit
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Thanks to Sandaconda'(no curly apostrophes)s unique ability, Sand Spit, Sandaconda ensures sand is set up, even when hit by Dynamax moves that change weather! Sandaconda doesn't even need to survive the attack,; (change to semi) just getting hit activates Sand Spit. With Glare providing useful paralysis support against even Ground-types, and as well as access to Stealth Rock, Sandaconda makes for a useful supportive member of sand teams. Rock Tomb adds to this utility further, providing extra speed control and damage against common foes like Mimikyu and Rotom-H.

An Adamant nature with maximum Speed and max Attack is the easy choice, giving gives Sandaconda the most offensive presence possible. A Jolly nature is also an option, enusring ensuring that Sandaconda always outspeeds Cloyster, and also outspeeds as well as Choice Scarf Hydreigon after paralysis. Alternately, a bulkier EV spread of 220 HP / 108 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe with an Adamant nature survives lets Sandaconda survive a +2 Life Orb Play Rough from Mimikyu, (RC) and survives Excadrill'(no curly apostrophes)s Life Orb-(AH)boosted Max Steelspike, while outspeeding +1 Gyarados after paralysis and Jolly Mimikyu after Rock Tomb. If even more bulk is needed, consider an Adamant nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe, giving Sandaconda enough bulk to survive 2 two Earthquakes from Adamant Excadrill.

Focus Sash may seem strange for a fairly bulky Pokemon,vbut they gurantee but it guarantees Sandaconda will set up Stealth Rock or Glare, even against powerful Special Attackers special attackers and Max moves. If Focus Sash is already used up another teammate already has a Focus Sash, (I presume this is because of Item Clause? If I'm wrong, please let me know.) Smooth Rock makes for a fine choice for keeping the sand up longer, though note that sand already often has an extra turn than most other uses usual already due to Sand Spit's mechanics. Sitrus Berry works well with bulkier EV spreads as well.

Since Sandaconda is a supportive Pokemon for sand teams, Excadrill should almost always be used with it, as it becomes a terrifying sweeper under the sand! sand. (I know that exclamation points are your thing, but I wouldn't say that this sentence would be read with any extra emphasis. Still, if you'd rather keep it, I'll allow it.) It'(no curly apostrophes)s also wise to consider Pokemon that benefit from the paralysis support Sandaconda provides, with including bulkier set(remove space)up sweepers like Hydreigon, Mimikyu, and Togekiss greatly appreciating the paralysis support. Also, consider Pokemon that can trouble checks to (Is this a double negative? I don't understand what this means; please let me know what it means so that we can rework it.) Pokemon that threaten both Sandaconda and Excadrill, such as Corviknight and bulky Water-types. Rotom-W is a great choice against Corviknight and most Water-types, while Rillaboom does very well against Rotom-W. Both these Pokemon in turn, benefit from Glare support in return. ("In turn" means "as a direct result of" or "subsequently". It is not synonymous with "in return".)
GP 1/1

Theorymon

Thanks Empress , I implemented pretty much all your changes (blame Pages for the curly 's lol). Also, the sentence that was confusing was refering to "check mons that give both Sandaconda and Excadrill problems". I've underlinded the reworked sentence, see if that's better for ya!

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Empress , I implemented pretty much all your changes (blame Pages for the curly 's lol). Also, the sentence that was confusing was refering to "check mons that give both Sandaconda and Excadrill problems". I've underlinded the reworked sentence, see if that's better for ya!
Works for me!

As a subjective change, maybe change "Corviknight and most Water-types" in the subsequent sentence to just "such Pokemon". It eliminates repetition, but it might also make the sentence a tiny bit less clear, so I will give you the option to accept or reject that change. Beyond that, you're good to go!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)