DOU 2019 Doubles Invitational - Won by emforbes

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • Moody Clause: Players cannot use a Pokémon with the Moody ability.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team
  • Pokémon Restrictions
    Players cannot use the following Pokémon:
    • Snorlax
    • Mewtwo
    • Lugia
    • Ho-oh
    • Kyogre
    • Groudon
    • Rayquaza
    • Jirachi
    • Dialga
    • Palkia
    • Giratina
    • Giratina-Origin
    • Arceus
    • Reshiram
    • Zekrom
    • Kyurem-White
    • Xerneas
    • Yveltal
    • Solgaleo
    • Lunala
    • Magearna
    • Marshadow
    • Necrozma-Dusk Mane
    • Necrozma-Dawn Wings
  • Move Restrictions
    Players cannot use the following moves:
    • Dark Void
    • Swagger
  • Players cannot use the following moves on the same team:
    • Gravity and sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy
  • Item Restrictions
    Players cannot use the following items:
    • Eevium Z
    • Gengarite
    • Kangaskhanite
  • Ability Restrictions
    Players cannot use the following abilities:
    • Power Construct

Welcome to the 2019 Doubles Invitational

This tournament is the culmination of each of the tournaments held during the 2019 Doubles OU circuit. The top 16 players will duke it out for the title of 2019 Circuit Champion and a fancy ribbon!

Top 16
(1) emforbes vs Nido-Rus (16)
(2) Stratos vs Demantoid (15)
(3) SMB vs Mishimono (14)
(4) Yoda2798 vs umbreon098 (13)
(5) stax vs YoBuddy (12)
(6) Tman vs Ezrael (11)
(7) Memoric
vs Kiichikos (10)
(8) Mr.GX vs Lord Death Man (9)

Top 8
(1) emforbes vs (8) Mr.GX
(2) Stratos vs Memoric (7)
(3) SMB vs Ezrael (11)
(4) Yoda2798 vs YoBuddy (12)

Top 4
(1) emforbes
vs YoBuddy (12)
(7) Memoric vs Ezrael (11)

Finals
(1) emforbes
vs Memoric (7)​

As always, replays are required for this tournament. Also, be sure to post your match times so we can watch live and possibly even stream!

This is a single elimination, Best of 3 USUM Doubles OU tournament.

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to some great games!

Last edited:
Thought I'd do predicts since it's the last gen 7 tour ;-;

(2) Stratos vs Demantoid (15) - I really like watching both of these guys play sm but I'd bet on Keith here because of consistency. He's been doing pretty great recently, and has even shown he can play without stax sample! Demantoid definitely can't be ruled out, his teams are a nightmare to face and he's a solid player to boot. I think if Stratos gets tilted by losing to something like Serp or pz the set could go downhill very quickly.

(3) SMB vs Mishimono (14) - SMB is obviously phenomenal at playing sm, while also being great at building and prepping. Mishi is a bit more of a wild card, he hasn't had a huge win, but still has good results. It'd be hard for me to not favor SMB against anyone, but mishi did beat him in sm during grand prix playoffs and a 2018 seasonal (iirc) so a win here is obviously possible.

(4) Yoda2798 vs umbreon098 (13) - I favor Yoda here because of his great recent results, but umb can definitely play and builds some scary teams. Darkrai Volc Nihi still gives me nightmares. Yoda's consistency has been really impressive, but he does use a lot of known teams, so I could see a nasty creation from umb that has great mu.

(5) stax vs YoBuddy (12) - Stax is really good, I hate playing this kid so much and he's been on a roll lately. He builds unique teams that don't make ANY sense to me but somehow makes them work. This dude has a necrozma boner that makes me wanna scream. Yobuddy has been making playoffs of a lot, showing he's not to be underestimated. He also has his own building style to rival stax. I'm sure he's glad to be playing anyone besides memo after their repeated meetings. Stax would be my heavy favorite to win the tournament if he didn't need luck to beat me using wishkiller ;/

(6) Tman vs Ezrael (11) - Vgc vets that have done it big in dou this year, one of the 2 sets i'm looking forward to the most this round. Jon obviously had an absurd snake, crushing everyone at least once. He's a consistent player that is very aware of board state and options. Tommy is a very hard opponent though, he often plays offensive teams that utilize setup or immediate pressure to a great degree. He started off wild this year, and proved he's still in form during snake. I don't think their snake game will be indicative of this set, and I remember Tommy winning in their dpl meeting but I still slightly favor Jon.

(7) Memoric vs Kiichikos (10) - 2 hot sm players this year, memo came back to tours like it was nothing while kiichi seemingly came out of nowhere to expose people in xy. Both of them are pretty aggressive players from my experience, making this exciting. Memo has smoked me every time we've played and kiichi has done unholy things to me in test games. I'm 50/50 on this mu for sure.

(8) Mr.GX vs Lord Death Man (9) - Mr.GX is legit amazing LOL. Despite reusing the same couple of teams he's a very strong and experienced doubles player that I would not want to face. ldm on the other hand won the first seasonal of the year, but nothing crazy after that. I don't really know how to predict this because it's pretty dependent on if ldm cts and how badly rng wants him to win.

Lunar.

is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
(1) Emforbes vs Nido-Rus (16) - Emilio has shown signs of slowing down in recent time after easily being the best DOU player. Despite this he still picked up the pace and won in playoffs for snake and ended up winning the whole thing. Even his bench riding skills are powerful, is there anything this man cant do? As for Nido-Rus, I feel he is a good player who works hard but has never gave off Emilio level vibes. I expect Emilio to take it.

(2) Stratos vs Demantoid (15) - Both solid players, with Stratos running similar teams all the time that he feels confident in while Demantoid running less janky teams recently, but still a wild card with what those teams are. This was actually the hardest match for me to pick because both can show up and beat almost anyone but other times they make mistakes you wouldn't expect from them. I think I will go Stratos just because of how hard working he is while I don't know how serious Demantoid is, but this could definitely go either way.

(3) SMB vs Mishimono (14) - Another difficult one to choose. SMB gave me Emilio vibes where he was definitely top 1 or 2 players in DOU easily, but recently has shown signs of weakness. To be fair those signs of weakness for SMB are not winning or making finals in every tournament so I guess take that as you will. Mishimono is someone who like Demantoid and Stratos, can look unbeatable or can make simple mistakes that you wouldn't expect based on the day. I do think Mish is a great player but going again SMB feels wrong in this scenario, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way.

(4) Yoda2798 vs umbreon098 (13) - Going to be honest, I don't know a lot about umbreon08. I do know he plays a lot though and he had to at least do decent in tournaments to get here. He is going against a very solid Yoda though, who since DPL where he bodied in DUU has been looking very strong in a lot of tournaments. I could argue he is someone can win this whole thing if it goes right, so lets see if he can play off this hype.

(5) stax vs YoBuddy (12) - My boy.. The man, the myth, the legend. I don't think I'll be predicting against stax at all so if you are up against him I'm sorry. YoBuddy came out of no where for me during DPL where he got picked up and people were telling me he was solid. I see him do well in tournaments but have yet to see him win or come in the realm of winning them. He seems like a solid player, but it takes more than that to beat stax. If it isn't obvious I think stax will win it all though, so lets see if YoBuddy can stop this terror he has to face right off the bat.

(6) Tman vs Ezrael (11) - This is probably the first "upset" I am predicting. My VGC brothers going at it this early on hurts, but one has to win. Ezrael has been looking pretty strong, and some may argue after this success in Snake that he might be one of the best atm. Despite this there I have this feeling that Tommy will bring some solid games that Ezrael be prepared for and catch him off guard. This is in no way dismissing Jon's play, its just an upset that for some reason I feel coming. Maybe its my belief in Tommy's skill and talent in a bo3 setting, who knows. Either way this is the match match of the round and I am excited to see it no matter who wins.

(7) Memoric vs Kiichikos (10) - This match is weird. Two solid players who have had moments of brilliance and moments of question marks through out the year. With that said, I have this feeling that Kiichi will go all out this tournament and do big things. I do think Memoric is a great player too and given the right situations can easily win it too. Another match I'd love to see personally.

(8) Mr.GX vs Lord Death Man (9) - Now this is a wild card match. Mr. GX is undoubtedly a solid DOU player, but his builds are always the same. We either get a Suicune FWG balance team going with like Mega-Metagross, or we get a hard tr smeargle team. I didn't watch too much of the most recent SSNL outside of stax games, but I am pretty sure Mr. GX did change it up a bit though so who knows. However, he is up against a player I would hate to fight personally. LDM gives me major DaWob vibes, and that is someone that will destroy your whole idea of how you think your're supposed to play this game. You think you are going in to fight a straight up game and then you are getting Durant trapped. I do not see LDM being weak to anything Mr. GX brings so unless I am wrong or Mr. GX prepares for this, I think LDM will win this.

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Top 8

(1) emforbes vs (8) Mr.GX
(2) Stratos vs Memoric (7)
(3) SMB vs Ezrael (11)
(4) Yoda2798 vs YoBuddy (12)

Mr.GX and Lord Death Man have until Thursday to complete their Top 16 match, the deadline for Top 8 is Sunday, December 15, at 11:59 PM Eastern time (GMT -5).

As always, replays are required for this tournament. Also, be sure to post your match times so we can watch live and possibly even stream!

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to some great games!

Last edited:

MajorBowman

Top 4

(1) emforbes
vs YoBuddy (12)
(7) Memoric vs Ezrael (11)​

The deadline for Top 4 is Sunday, December 22, at 11:59 PM Eastern time (GMT -5).

Good luck to our semifinalists!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)