SPL XI - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this idea beforе, but now with the introduction of a new gen I think it would be the perfect time to introduce the Smogon Minor League, exclusive to people who have never played in official team tornaments. That way user participation can be drastically increased while also helping find and stimulate new talents.

I've seen this idea beforе, but now with the introduction of a new gen I think it would be the perfect time to introduce the Smogon Minor League, exclusive to people who have never played in official team tornaments. That way user participation can be drastically increased while also helping find and stimulate new talents.
I also think this idea could be cool, and its running in parallel with a 'major' counterpart would be a nice way for it to, by association, draw relevancy and, relatedly, a clear concept/identity, a frame or narrative through which the competition may be conceptualised. Perhaps in some future iteration of smogon premier league there could even be some further, more substantive integration between the leagues in which the minor league forms a reserve for its major counterpart, from which each major team drafts one impressive player from the minors, at some defined point in time through the course of the season (perhaps midseason). The major league midseason (?) standings could be used to determine a draft pick order. Alternatively, or perhaps in conjunction, there could be some equivalent of the uefa super cup, in which the winner of the major league (in this instance the analogue of the champions league) plays the winner of the minor league (in this instance the analogue of the europa league). This could be fun(!), and would provide a direct means of comparison between the more established player base and up-and-comers, potentially ameliorating or validating any concerns regarding 'spots (i.e jobs) for the boys', and/or other forms of cronyism. Obviously, any concept of inclusivity, to the end of community growth, has to be balanced against the overall standard, and by extension integrity, of the the tour, but, insofar as some trade-off is considered desirable, and some concession acceptable, these could be a relatively advantageous and efficient (logistically speaking) mechanisms by which to achieve that. Regarding competition, it seems plausible that both of the above suggestions could over the long-term increase the standard of smogon premier league (i.e. the major league), that is to say that the overall standard of competition of some future smogon premier league would higher as a consequence, even if re the former suggestion, i.e. the minors as a reserve, it could reasonably be understood as being sacrificed in the immediacy. Apologies if am presenting as novel any ideas that have already been tried out/discussed; hopefully they are of some use.

Wolf

formerly Bloody alfa
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
My good man and friend Lord Thorx was actually the guy behind this idea and we worked a little bit on that (he even pm'd tournament TD's), so tagging him here to see if we can get something done about that.

Also like this post if you never played in a major tournament and you're enthusiastic about this idea so we maybe get this thing moving !

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Hmmm to me it seems like that the "Dragonspiral Tyrants" only did resort to more drastic vocabulary because
they wanted to make it absolutely clear that they dont have any intentions to draft user "sprinkles".
It is really a far stretch to read "unsportsmanlike behaviour" into this.

Obviously there are better ways to express yourself.
He’s just wasting people’s time and it’s not cool. I don’t think it’s “too far” but it’s rude. I was just trying to call him out for a game for honor afterward

Updated Kanto

Banned deucer.
Hello SPL Managers! With this upcoming SPL being centered around the new generation you might be looking for someone who comes up with several ideas, tries out various concepts and has an open mind going into the metagame. This is where xtra$hine comes in. While he may have had a terrible snake, he should still be able to provide great team support in the new generation.
xtra1stteam.png

Does this team look familiar? Maybe you've seen it on the ladder? Yep, this was one of xtra's first teams when SS came out and I used to destroy the ladder for a bit and just recently used to get reqs as well. The team features CB Darm a mon that is in the conversation for a possible ban, a corviknight set with taunt and u turn which works nicely at lasting longer and owns the bulk up sets that were and still are so rampant. However this team also features this generation's FIRST ever LO Clefable. Yep xtra looked at the tier and said wow LO moonlight clef just fucking OWNS and guess what? Now its one of clefable's best movesets. I would be lying if I didn't say whenever xtra made a new team that needed to be tested that I would jump head first and try it out usually to some success. Xtra may not be the best battler but he is one of the most creative minds and in a new generation that is CRAZY good and should definitely be picked up by any team looking for someone that is motivated to build with all the new toys this generation.
xtruh.png

EDIT: If he gets drafted I won't ask him for teams or ideas so that it remains in the team he gets drafted for.

Last edited:
Hello SPL Managers! With this upcoming SPL being centered around the new generation you might be looking for someone who comes up with several ideas, tries out various concepts and has an open mind going into the metagame. This is where xtra$hine comes in. While he may have had a terrible snake, he should still be able to provide great team support in the new generation.
View attachment 209509
Does this team look familiar? Maybe you've seen it on the ladder? Yep, this was one of xtra's first teams when SS came out and I used to destroy the ladder for a bit and just recently used to get reqs as well. The team features CB Darm a mon that is in the conversation for a possible ban, a corviknight set with taunt and u turn which works nicely at lasting longer and owns the bulk up sets that were and still are so rampant. However this team also features this generation's FIRST ever LO Clefable. Yep xtra looked at the tier and said wow LO moonlight clef just fucking OWNS and guess what? Now its one of clefable's best movesets. I would be lying if I didn't say whenever xtra made a new team that needed to be tested that I would jump head first and try it out usually to some success. Xtra may not be the best battler but he is one of the most creative minds and in a new generation that is CRAZY good and should definitely be picked up by any team looking for someone that is motivated to build with all the new toys this generation.
View attachment 209510

EDIT: If he gets drafted I won't ask him for teams or ideas so that it remains in the team he gets drafted for.
OH MY GOD THIS SO CUTE ILY BOO.

>Xtra may not be the best battler
(ill let this one slide since the rest makes up for it)

Announcing: New Artwork for the 2020 SPL Season:

Please accept this offering with my apologies. This effort in no way does justice to this tournament.

Congratulations to all retains and best of luck to all signups - may this be your year.

Looking forward to the auction!

Announcing: New Artwork for the 2020 SPL Season:

Please accept this offering with my apologies. This effort in no way does justice to this tournament.

Congratulations to all retains and best of luck to all signups - may this be your year.

Looking forward to the auction!
Are you going to sell t-shirts/hoodies this year too? I lost my hoodie in a random day while i was drunk and my t-shirt is getting faded already (i use it a lot actually).

Good job, amazing work as usual.

double posting to say a thing: im willing to find new faces for ss ou, so feel free to pm me on discord if you are interested, be you known in the community but in other tiers or just a random trying to find your place, ill try to be kind with everyone. builders will have special attention. the chat: https://discord.gg/WjF837m

btw to the regular playerbase in all tiers: im also interested to know who specially does/doesnt wanna work with us and i dont have a crystal ball yet (and wont pm anyone asking it as i did last year either), so if you personally feel like you should talk about these things with us, pm me or my managers showing your interest (or lack of) to make it clear please. kiss me or leave me. :heart:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)