move 2: Crunch
move 3: Psychic Fangs
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Mystic Water
ability: Strong Jaw
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Fishious Rend is remarkably powerful on Dracovish as it doubles in power if used before the target has acted and is further boosted by Strong Jaw. When used with a Choice Band even some of the most defensive Pokemon that resist Water-type attacks, such as Ferrothorn and Toxapex, are at risk of a 2HKO. The gameplan with Dracovish is to get it in position against slower Pokemon and start unleashing Fishious Rends. To achieve this, pivot options with U-turn or Volt Switch can be used to bring Dracovish in safely. Teammates who provide paralysis support can also slow targets down for Dracovish to take advantage of. Thunder Wave or Glare is an ideal way to achieve this, with many great users such as Grimmsnarl, Rotom-H, and Sandaconda available.

Choice Band provides devastating power that breaks through defensive Pokemon. Mystic Water still provides enough of a damage boost to OHKO offensive Mimikyu after Disguise has been broken and Dracovish can even OHKO Dynamaxed Mimikyu if it moves first. Choice Scarf utilizes the increase in speed to use boosted Fishious Rend more reliably, requiring less support at the cost of a significant reduction in damage. If used during rain however, Choice Scarf Dracovish can be both fast and devastatingly powerful.

Fishious Rend is by far the most important move on the set and the one you will be using in the vast majority of cases. However, this isn't to say the other moves aren't useful. Crunch is boosted by Strong Jaw and offers an answer to Water Absorb Jellicent. Psychic Fangs, also boosted by Strong Jaw, is an alternative way to attack Toxapex for more damage than Fishious Rend while also providing some minor utility in the removal of Reflect and Light Screen. Finally, Rock Tomb is primarily a utility option that offers a means of speed control.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Charlotte, 159382]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Psynergy, 248085]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Mafeking, 122460]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only thing I'd mention is adding Sandaconda to the paralysis list since you mention Glare :P. Otherwise, QC Approved 1/2!

Id probably put choice scarf as your first slash over choice band. Admittedly I havent seen too much dracomish on ladder, but I think that is the better overall set since you can actually outspeed most non-boosted pokemon (except dragapult ofc). With band it may be worth mentioning sticky web, though admittedly I havent seen too many web teams.

CB is much more breaker style, playing more like m-medicham in oras ou (this is not an exact comparison). While scarf is stronger vs the offensive stuff, to a point.
So, as I see it, CB's role is more unique, which is why it's the preferred first slash for me at this early meta stage.
I'm happy to consider removing Mystic Water for now though, possibly into a brief mention. Which would push Scarf up into a more prominent position.

I don't think it's worth mentioning webs until we've seen them played with some prominence.

One thing I do want to add though, is that Scarf is particularly happy to play on rain. Since it can have the damage of CB still, but at the cost of weather support. So I'll hopefully remember to do that in the morning.

Morning Edit: Moved Scarf ahead of Mystic in the item slash order and added a line about Scarf on Rain.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
This Pokemon should not exist.

Personally I feel like Choice Scarf is going to be the easier to use item in the future and I've only seen Scarf ones so far, but I'm not sure that's a major debate at the moment and we can change that later or not depending on how the meta develops. Choice Scarf is admittedly a more contested item slot than Choice Band at the moment so there is that.

QC 2/2

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove additions (comments)

[SET]
name: Fishious Rend
move 1: Fishious Rend
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Psychic Fangs
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Mystic Water
ability: Strong Jaw
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Fishious Rend is remarkably powerful on Dracovish as it. It doubles in power if used before the target has acted and is further boosted by Strong Jaw. (combining these first two sentences looks nicer) When used with a Choice Band even some of the best defensive Water resists most defensive Pokemon that resist Water-type attacks, such as Ferrothorn or and Toxapex, are at risk of a 2HKO. (afaik using "<type> resists" as a noun is something we look to avoid) The gameplan with Dracovish is to get it in position against slower Pokemon and start unleashing Fishious Rends. To achieve this, pivot options with U-turn or Volt Switch can be used to bring Dracovish in safely. While speed control Teammates who provide paralysis support can also slow targets down for Dracovish to take advantage of. Paralyses from Thunder Wave or Glare is an ideal way to achieve this, with many great users such as Grimmsnarl, Rotom-H, and Sandaconda available. (felt this needed to be reworded slightly to emphasize how paralysis from teammates helps out Drac as it doesn't use TWave or Glare itself)

Choice Band provides devastating power that breaks through defensive Pokemon. While Mystic Water still provides enough of a damage boost to OHKO offensive Mimikyu after Disguise has been broken and is even capable of OHKOing Dracovish can even OHKO Dynamaxed Mimikyu if Dracovish it moves first. (to avoid it sounding like Mystic Water is what is OHKOing Mimikyu) Choice Scarf utilizes the increase in speed to use boosted Fishious Rend more reliably, requiring less support but at the cost of a significant reduction in damage. If used on during rain however, Choice Scarf Dracovish can be both fast and devastatingly powerful.

Fishious Rend is by far the most important move on the set and the one you will be using in the vast majority of cases. However, this isn't to say the other moves aren't useful. Crunch is boosted by Strong Jaw and offers an answer to Water Absorb Jellicent. While Psychic Fangs, also boosted by Strong Jaw, is an alternative way to attack Toxapex for more damage than Fishious Rend while also providing . Psychic Fangs also has some minor utility in the removal of Reflect and Light Screen. Finally, Rock Tomb is primarily a utility option that offers a means of speed control.

good analysis, still a nightmare fish GP 1/1

contrib_gp.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)