Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think this is the place for this type of question. Hope I'm right. lol Anyway, I got a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl and even though I get Dynamax is gonna be banned from OU, I'm thinking which set would be the best for him.

Just to be clear: I want to use if for OU battling, but I leak the Gigantamax form so much, I'll probably use him in Battle Tower too, just for the aesthetics.

With that in mind, would you folks say Dual Screens is clearly the best Grimmsnarl set or is Bulk Up just as viable? Are the set in the Smogon dex up to date with the latest metagame changes? Is there any other good Grimmsnarl set I should consider for my precious specimen?
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Break
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Grimmsnarl-Gmax (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Bulk Up
- Spirit Break
- Sucker Punch

These are the two standard Grimmsnarl's I've seen. My personal preference is towards the dual screens set, but Bulk Up hits really hard, too, and G-Max Snooze has a lot of utlity.
Of course this is for standard OU so I'm not sure which would be most effective in the context of the Battle Tower or online play.

If something with Technician goes second in the turn and uses one of the moves that get a damage boost by going second, does it still get the Technician boost? For example, if Grapploct has Technician, goes second in the turn, and uses Payback, does it do 100 base damage as usual or more because of Technician?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If something with Technician goes second in the turn and uses one of the moves that get a damage boost by going second, does it still get the Technician boost? For example, if Grapploct has Technician, goes second in the turn, and uses Payback, does it do 100 base damage as usual or more because of Technician?
According to Bulbapedia:
For moves with variable power, Technician will only apply if the power is 60 or less when used. For example, Low Kick and Grass Knot will only get a Technician boost if the target's weight is 110.0 lbs. (49.9 kg) or less. The only external power-modifying effects which are applied before Technician checks the move's power are Fairy Aura, Dark Aura, Aura Break, and Battery.
I don't see why that wouldnt be true for Payback either.

Edit:
Also here's this for full confirmation
https://pokemondb.net/pokebase/162431/pokemon-with-technician-last-used-payback-would-have-power

Hello my fellow pokemon rivals..( from what I heard everyone is against everyone, so rivals I think suits best), anyways, I’ve been almost playing for about one week and I’m really struggling with the OU game mode; yes ik there are much easier tiers to compete in, but I want to take on one of the most played tiers of them all and do the best possible! Can anyone sort of help me find a good structured and playable team? And plz don’t just send me a link and tell me to copy and paste the team, I need help with like the fundamentals and “thought processing”, idk tbh. I never knew pokemon had such a competitive side...

Reactions: w_r

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hello my fellow pokemon rivals..( from what I heard everyone is against everyone, so rivals I think suits best), anyways, I’ve been almost playing for about one week and I’m really struggling with the OU game mode; yes ik there are much easier tiers to compete in, but I want to take on one of the most played tiers of them all and do the best possible! Can anyone sort of help me find a good structured and playable team? And plz don’t just send me a link and tell me to copy and paste the team, I need help with like the fundamentals and “thought processing”, idk tbh. I never knew pokemon had such a competitive side...
Battling 101 provides you an opportunity to work alongside a tutor in order to help you improve. In case you wanted to see teams with a lot of detail and explanations that explain how they were made and how they work, then the RMT archive may be able to help out with that.

Since Flareon is apparently considered viable now (according to the viability list), in what ways can/should it be used, and with what set(s)? Also, what kind of team would it fit on?

Hello fellow gamers, I was curious where I could find help with regarding my matches not being calculated in the Gen 7 OU tier. I recently played 3 matches on the OU for Gen 7 tier, won all three games (have evidence with replays) and none of them calculated the ELO I was supposed to earn. I waited till the very end and they all had the same “something went wrong etc etc, your ladder scores where probably calculated”; can anyone help?

chimp

Go Bananas
Hello fellow gamers, I was curious where I could find help with regarding my matches not being calculated in the Gen 7 OU tier. I recently played 3 matches on the OU for Gen 7 tier, won all three games (have evidence with replays) and none of them calculated the ELO I was supposed to earn. I waited till the very end and they all had the same “something went wrong etc etc, your ladder scores where probably calculated”; can anyone help?
Did you check your ELO using the /rank function? In my experience even if it says something went wrong, it still changes your ELO, even if it may take a few minutes.

I'm not sure how much longer this will be relevant, but if your opponent has a Pokemon that's asleep in the back and you use G-Max Snooze on an awake Pokemon, will you violate the sleep clause if your opponent doesn't switch out?

I asked a question about Grimmsnarl sets two days ago and I just want to complement that. I'm thinking of going with the aggressive Bulk Up set and I'm seeing three different spreads: 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SDEF, 232 HP / 252 ATK / 24 SPE and 224 HP /252 ATK/ 32 SPE. Is any of them agreeably the better one? What are we trying to outspeed with these speed EVs? If I'm going with leftovers/subs, which is the better HP spread? And lastly, life orb or leftovers?

After those, I swear I'm done with the Grimmsnarl inquisition. Lol Thanks to you all!

Last edited:
Would anyone know of a good EV spread for Sylveon? I know I can go 252/252/4 in HP/ Def/ Sp Atk with Calm or I can go 252/252/4 in HP/ Sp Atk/ Def Modest with Calm Mind and Wish. I know those sets work. I have a Modest Sylveon with 5 IVs in Sword so I was looking for something that could work on Battle Spot. Something to take advantage of the nature while being tuned to live certain attacks like the new Dynamax moves from key threats. Maybe something with a tad bit of speed. Anyone have anything for me and what it does? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how the Dynamax vote compared to other OU suspects in the past, in terms of how many people qualified you vote and how quickly the 60% threshold was met?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know how the Dynamax vote compared to other OU suspects in the past, in terms of how many people qualified you vote and how quickly the 60% threshold was met?
Not quite a landslide like Shaymin-Sky was years ago, but the result was fairly quickly in terms of the numbers participated.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Now that dyna is gone, how does this simulate in game? If we wanted to use smogon rules and clauses and wanted to play OU on cart, it's impossible to disable Dynamax I believe? Would it just be a gentleman's agreement not to use dyna, and if they do on accident (they forget, finger slipped, ect) is that an auto forfeit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)