Generational Breakdown of Regional Pokedexes

This topic comes up a lot, we all groan about the Kanto Pokemon in recent dexes and I got curious enough about what the exact breakdown per generation per dex and trends over the years were. And wanted images on hand for references purposes.

Some notes:
  • I stuck to Regional Dex numbers only. A lot of games have a variety of pokemon outside of it, but regional dexes are what we usually talk about when it comes to availability and if we expanded scope like 6 of the games would have 90% of all Pokemon. This does have the funny situation of BW2 & Alola having Pokemon in their dex only available in the Post Game while DP languishes but is what it is
  • I didn't do the RGBY or BW1 dexes because they are by necessity & design only gen 1/5 pokemon respectively.
  • No GSC dex because the "New Pokedex" just includes all 251
  • Did not do the FRLG or Let's Go dexes because the former locks you down to 151 until the post game quest and the latter only has 151 + Meltan & Melmetal, period.
  • While HGSS & ORAS updated their regional Pokedexes it's very minor, just putting in (most of) the Gen 3 & 4 pre-evolutions where appropriate. Didn't seem worthwhile, especially when ORAS only added 9 gen 4 pokemon.
HOENN

Hoenn was the closest thing we've had to SWSH in the series history. 202 Pokemon out of 386 were available, with the rest spread so thinly over the rest of the generation. In retrospect, it is fairly impressive that this was a generation with 135 new pokemon in it. Gen 2 really gets the brunt of the transition, a mere 20 Pokemon compared with gen 1's nearly 50.

SINNOH

DP has a fairly infamously small regional dex, trying to be a throwback to gen 1's dex size I guess. I really don't get why they did this, especially in the generation where there were a ton of new evolutions & pre-evolutions. Many of them are excluded here, as are the post-game legendaries. While gen 3 is the loser here, it is kind of funny that gen 2 only got 2 more pokemon compared to last time. Gen 1 notably saw a decrease in Pokemon to accomodate gen 3 and the smaller dex size, this will be its lowest showing in the series.

Pt decided to address these issues with a massive +70 pokemon. This is all of the cross-gen additions, Rotom, Giratina and a smattering of (mostly gen 3) random Pokemon. Cresselia, Heatran, Regigigas and the mythics aside from Manaphy are still left out. They seemed to want to keep relative numbers here, gens 1-3 saw an increase of 12-14 pokemon each.

UNOVA

As mentioned before, I'm skipping BW1 to BW2's New Unova dex, which added 145 pokemon, the most added in a follow up version of any game! Surprisingly gen 3 is the winner over gen 1 here but really they're all fairly even! A couple reminders here, Victini is "000" so the dex has 301 in it, not 300; both the BW1 & BW2 dexes also had all the other mythics and legends in it too.

KALOS

Kalso has the biggest regional dex in the series at 457 (Mewtwo, the birds, the Kalos Mythics), which resulted in a fairly large representation of all the generations but jesus christ gen 1 has 111 Pokemon in it, almost a full fourth of all Pokemon in Kalos. Gen 3 & 5 at least did fairly well for themselves; Gen 5 in particular is a bit surprising since there was a trend of not having a lot of Pokemon from the gen prior (as we'll see next dex).

If there had been a "Z" version, I wonder if Kalos would have also seen a dex expansion? Those routes were full to begin with, who knows what an expansion would be like.

ALOLA

SM brought it back to 302 but it is wild to me that Gen 1 as 83 pokemon still. It's almost a third of the dex....Only gen 3 breaches 30 and gen 2 is the only one at 30. Gen 6 is really feeling the sting, it has a mere 14. The smallest showing of any generation in any regional dex, beating out DP's Gen 3 number.

USUM brought +101 Pokemon. They tried ot be a little more even keeled here, Gen 1 only got 11 and gen 4 got a mere 7 but the others got about 20 each. Still, Gen 1 still has almost a fourth of pokemon in Alola.

GALAR

Which brings us to SWSH's 400 pokedex on the dot. I think "dexit" and there being 7 other generations of Pokemon to represent helped a lot with the distribution here. Gen 1 went down to a still-a-lot but more reasonable 50 while Gen 5 surprisingly took the dex by storm with 85 pokemon while the other gens hover in the mid 30s.

It will be interesting to see how the counts are altered as Armor & Crown arrive. I expect a surge of gen 1 Pokemon across the 200 just because that will bolster gens 2 & 3

Something that I wonder is how much the "crossgen" evos or preevos do flip the Pokedex in gen 1 favor.

Some of them (Eevee and Zubat to mention the most common) are in (almost) every game, which does give a +4 g1 and +1/2 to a couple more gens.

On top of my mind I can't think of how many gen 1 pokemon did end up get a crossgen evo, but I believe there's quite a few, and any time they want to include one of those "evolutionary chains", for obvious reasons gen 1 ends up getting more Pokemon present in order to allow their later additions to be there.

TLDR how much of each gen's pokedex is composed by gen 1 evo or preevo and does this actually impact the presence of gen 1 in the various titles?

Something that I wonder is how much the "crossgen" evos or preevos do flip the Pokedex in gen 1 favor.

Some of them (Eevee and Zubat to mention the most common) are in (almost) every game, which does give a +4 g1 and +1/2 to a couple more gens.

On top of my mind I can't think of how many gen 1 pokemon did end up get a crossgen evo, but I believe there's quite a few, and any time they want to include one of those "evolutionary chains", for obvious reasons gen 1 ends up getting more Pokemon present in order to allow their later additions to be there.

TLDR how much of each gen's pokedex is composed by gen 1 evo or preevo and does this actually impact the presence of gen 1 in the various titles?
To me, I think it's the reverse. That is, I think gen 1 is doing the heavy lifting for other gen representation. So any time they want to include the Eevee line, it's less because they want say Glaceon and more because they want Eevee which by happenstance brings in 2 for gens 2 & 4 + 1 gen 6. Pikachu is almost always getting in, which will always bring around Pikachu. Electabuzz will always bring around its relatives, but how much is that wanting Electivire, how much of that is wanting an electric line and oh hey here's a 3 stage line from gen 1. The appeal of the Oddish line being Oddish probably results in Bellossom just hanging on for the ride more often tha nnot.
Exceptions being when a new gen introduces an evolution, of course, then by default they must drag in the rest of that line.
I don't have full numbers, I can do that later, but I do have some earmarked data:
-RSE: 5 of the 20 Johto pokemon are cross-gen with gen 1. 3 are evolutions (Kingdra, Crobat, Bellossom), 2 are babies (Pichu, Igglybuff). The Azurill & Wynaut additions do necessitate Marill & Wobbuffet from gen 2.
-DP: 5 of the 22 Johto Pokemon are cross-gen with gen 1. 3 are evos (Blissey, Crobat, Steelix), 2 are babies (Pichu, Cleffa).
There are 6 new cross-gen Gen 2 evolutions (Weavile, Ambipom, Mismagius, Honchkrow)/babies (Mantyke, Bonsly) that must bring in their 6 respective lines, but those are only 1 stagers turning into 2.
Azurill is here as well. 13 of Gen 2's 22 pokemon are necessary for its components (though i think Auzrill is more here for Marill than Marill for Azurill)
Happiny, Munchlax & Mime Jr do require those 3 lines from Gen 1.
Budew/Roserade & Chingling require 2 from Gen 3.
-So Platinum goes against what I said earlier out of necessity. If they want you to actually use all these damn cross-gen relatives, they obviously have to pull in from other generations. Thus the 9 new evolutions must bring in the 8 gen 1 lines associated with them, which also brings 5 more gen 2 Pokemon because of either split evolutoins, babies or Porygon2.
Likewise the 8 remaining gen 2 & 3 cross gens need those 8 lines. This heavily benefits gen 3 since those lines were often 2-stages and Gallade brings in a full 3 stage line.
-BW2: 8 gen 2 evolutoins(Steelix, Crobat, Espeon, Umbreon)/babies(Elekid, Magby, Igglybuff, Cleffa) of gen 1 pokemon brings in 7 lines and 3 of those result in 4 more Gen 4 cross-gen evos (Leafeon, Glaceon, Electivire, Magmortar) in addition to the other 3 (Magnezone, Lickilicky, Tangrowth).
In addition to those gen 4 cross gens, we have Budew/Roserade & probopass for gen 3. And gen 2 has another 5 evolutions linked up.
Azurill is also here.
-Kalos has 12 gen 1 crossgens in its gen 2 bin. Gen 3 has its 2 gen 2 cross gens. Gen 4 has 8 gen 1s (and the only overlap with prior is eevee), 6 gen 2s, and 5 gen 3s (budew/roserade again). And of course, Sylveon though I suspect Eevee was always going to be in this dex.
-SM Alola I...actually lost my data on. I merged it with USUM and lost track of the order. So for USUM Alola:
Gen 2 has 14 connections to gen 1
Gen 4 has 10 connections to gen 1, 6 connections to gen 2, 2 connections to gen 3. This does include the Electabuzz, Magmar, Porygon & Eevee lines so adjust accordingly as needed.
Gen 6 has Sylveon
-Galar:
Gen 2 has 8 connections (7 lines, Tyrogue/Hitmontop share)
Gen 3 has Wynaut
Gen 4 has 5 gen 1 connections (eevee overlap, Mime Jr has to be here for Mr Rime), 5 gen 2 connections, and 4 gen 3 connections (budew/roserade)
Gen 6 has Sylveon
Gen 8 requires the Meowth, Mr. Mime, Farfetch'd lines from gen 1, Corsola from gen 2, Zigzagoon line from gen 3 and Yamask line from gen 5

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Cool stats you got here! It's a bit late where I am so no super deep analysis from me, but one fairly consistent trend I've noticed is the new Pokemon seem to occupy a smaller % of their regional dexes as the generations go on. The only time the trend makes a major turnaround is BW2, and from Gen 6 onward the % is about the same small size. It makes sense seeing as there are more old generations to represent and they've been introducing less new Pokemon in general recently.

I also never realized just how much Kalos and Alola frontloaded the cast of Gen 1. The huge % occupied by Kanto Pokemon in Alola is especially impressive since unlike XY they didn't give out/let you catch some of the "special" Gen 1 mons like the starters and legendaries. I still feel that Kalos is the winner for "genwunner pandering" (put in quotes because I hate that dumb meme but idk if I even wanna bother ranting at this stage) due to those aforementioned special mons being shoehorned in as well as having around a whopping 70+% of Kanto in the dex by my calculations, by far the highest raw number of Kanto mons outside of, well, Kanto. At least Galar seems to have scaled back on the front loading in the regional Pokedex quite a bit, which is good because I reckon I woulda bashed my brains in if I had to hear any more bitching about the aforementioned """genwunner pandering""".

At least Galar seems to have scaled back on the front loading in the regional Pokedex quite a bit, which is good because I reckon I woulda bashed my brains in if I had to hear any more bitching about the aforementioned """genwunner pandering"""
There is a significant chance gen 7 went heavy on the gen 1 pokemon due to the infamous 20th anniversary, and since now they are done with it, they're finally back at a normal %.

I am still curious of that massive gen 5 presence in Galar pokedex though... I don't think that they magically come out and decided to do it for no reason.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
There is a significant chance gen 7 went heavy on the gen 1 pokemon due to the infamous 20th anniversary, and since now they are done with it, they're finally back at a normal %.

I am still curious of that massive gen 5 presence in Galar pokedex though... I don't think that they magically come out and decided to do it for no reason.
It’s probably just because James Turner, who started working at Game Freak in Gen V, was Art Director for SwSh. All of the Pokémon he designed are in the game. Since Gen V around half of Pokémon from each dex are represented, compared to 1/4-1/3 for older gens.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I honestly think the high quantity of Gen 5 mons is for worldbuilding reasons. Galar is based off the UK, which has had a long history with the United States, which just so happens to be what Unova is based on. Also the fact that unlike Alola, Galar is a very urban region, moreso than Kalos in some instances which itself also had a good raw quantity of Gen 5 mons. On top of that there's the fact a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, including some of the ones present in SWSH, were designed as Gen 1 expies (Woobat over Zubat, Roggenrola over Geodude, Klink over Magnemite, etc.) and those help further bolster the representation for that region while knocking down Gen 1's share.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
An interesting look at how the dexes break down. Kanto still dominates most games (which is kind of unsurprising), with it only being beaten by something other than the "New" Dex twice (BW2 Unova and in Galar). I didn't realise how many Unova Pokemon were in Galar!

Would you be able to produce numbers for the ratios as a percentage of the original dex? For example, in Galar, we have 53 Kanto Pokemon which is ~33% of the original Kanto Dex. I think this overlaps with someone who was posting in the SwSh thread with the various "blocks" of Pokemon being in the Galar dex as we got more information about it.

An interesting look at how the dexes break down. Kanto still dominates most games (which is kind of unsurprising), with it only being beaten by something other than the "New" Dex twice (BW2 Unova and in Galar). I didn't realise how many Unova Pokemon were in Galar!

Would you be able to produce numbers for the ratios as a percentage of the original dex? For example, in Galar, we have 53 Kanto Pokemon which is ~33% of the original Kanto Dex. I think this overlaps with someone who was posting in the SwSh thread with the various "blocks" of Pokemon being in the Galar dex as we got more information about it.
I can do it when I get home, sure. I'll also pull up exact numbers of gen 1 cross gen pull in, too

I liked actual numbers more than percents for the lower gens just because 20% of, say, gen 6 gives a more optimistic view than "it's 14 pokemon". But viewed as a set its more valuable data together.

Alright here's the % breakdowns, DHR-107 I'll update the images in the op later. All %s are rounded up/down. Except for gen 2 because it has a nice easy 100 pokemon in it. You can kind of see what I mean about %s on their own not really telling the full story.
HOENN RSE:
  • Gen 1: 31%
  • Gen 2: 20%
  • Gen 3: 100%
SINNOH DP:
  • Gen 1: 21%
  • Gen 2: 22%
  • Gen 3: 12%
  • Gen 4: 76% (lol)
SINNOH PT:
  • Gen 1: 30%
  • Gen 2: 36%
  • Gen 3: 21%
  • Gen 4: 94%
UNOVA BW2:
  • Gen 1: 25%
  • Gen 2: 32%
  • Gen 3: 32%
  • Gen 4: 30%
  • Gen 5: 100%
KALOS XY:
  • Gen 1: 74%
  • Gen 2: 63%
  • Gen 3: 59%
  • Gen 4: 49%
  • Gen 5: 51%
  • Gen 6: 100%
ALOLA SM:
  • Gen 1: 58%
  • Gen 2: 30%
  • Gen 3: 24%
  • Gen 4: 27%
  • Gen 5: 18%
  • Gen 6: 19%
  • Gen 7: 100%
ALOLA USUM:
  • Gen 1: 65%
  • Gen 2: 51%
  • Gen 3: 38%
  • Gen 4: 33%
  • Gen 5: 31%
  • Gen 6: 47%
  • Gen 7: 100%
GALAR SWSH:
  • Gen 1: 35%
  • Gen 2: 33%
  • Gen 3: 31%
  • Gen 4: 36%
  • Gen 5: 55%
  • Gen 6: 44%
  • Gen 7: 41%
  • Gen 8: 100%
-----------
So as for the previous question of "how much of gen 1 is here because of cross-gen evolutions?" Worldie
HOENN RSE: 11 Pokemon
SINNOH DP: 10 Pokemon
SINNOH PT: 24 Pokemon
UNOVA BW2: 17 Pokemon
KALOS XY: 30 Pokemon
ALOLA SM: 24 Pokemon
ALOLA USUM: 27 Pokemon
GALAR SWSH: 21 Pokemon

First of all, I want give a big thanks to R_N for making this thread! I have wanted something like this for a long time and I am glad to see that it has finally become reality. This will be very useful as a reference for future discussions about regional dexes.

I have a few comments on some things that have been mentioned in this thread.

While HGSS & ORAS updated their regional Pokedexes it's very minor, just putting in (most of) the Gen 3 & 4 pre-evolutions where appropriate. Didn't seem worthwhile, especially when ORAS only added 9 gen 4 pokemon.
I'm probably nitpicking here, but HG/SS did not add "most" of the evolutionary relatives for the Pokémon in their Dex. They only added five (Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Lickilicky, Yanmega, and Ambipom) out of a total of 23.

All of Turner's pokemon have been in every game after their inception. Pretty sure even ORAS has the full set.
I checked and this is not quite the case. The Vanillite line is not in OR/AS, the Golett line is not in OR/AS and S/M, while Bruxish (partly designed by Turner according to Bulbapedia) and the UBs are not in S/S (at least not yet). Other than that, all the regular Pokémon he designed have been in every game since their debut. Turner being the designer of them and the fact that he seems to have a big role at Game Freak explains why these Pokémon have been in so many games. I used to find some of them strange choices, but it makes more sense now that I know the reason behind it. The Vanillite line always felt like an odd choice to put in so many games since it is generally pretty unpopular and unloved (or at least it used to be). The Phantump line also felt like an odd choice for a Kalos Pokémon and I always wondered why they included it but not the Pumpkaboo line since I see these two as counterparts.

On another note, I did a quick check for the B2/W2 dex a while ago because I wanted to compare how it handled past generations compared to the Kalos and Alola dexes, and I remember that I found it to be rather balanced and fair, which the numbers in the first post here also proves. It could of course have been a little better, but I think it did a very good job at having an even inclusion of all previous generations, it did that much better than the Kalos, Alola and Galar dexes.

First of all, I want give a big thanks to R_N for making this thread! I have wanted something like this for a long time and I am glad to see that it has finally become reality. This will be very useful as a reference for future discussions about regional dexes.

I have a few comments on some things that have been mentioned in this thread.

I'm probably nitpicking here, but HG/SS did not add "most" of the evolutionary relatives for the Pokémon in their Dex. They only added five (Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Lickilicky, Yanmega, and Ambipom) out of a total of 23.
god, that's right. I knew you couldn't get Magnezone, Leafeon or Glaceon but I figured they + the babies were still listed in the "johto dex' listing. Thanks for the correct. Even less worthwhile to count up

I checked and this is not quite the case. The Vanillite line is not in OR/AS, the Golett line is not in OR/AS and S/M, while Bruxish (partly designed by Turner according to Bulbapedia) and the UBs are not in S/S (at least not yet). Other than that, all the regular Pokémon he designed have been in every game since their debut. Turner being the designer of them and the fact that he seems to have a big role at Game Freak explains why these Pokémon have been in so many games. I used to find some of them strange choices, but it makes more sense now that I know the reason behind it. The Vanillite line always felt like an odd choice to put in so many games since it is generally pretty unpopular and unloved (or at least it used to be). The Phantump line also felt like an odd choice for a Kalos Pokémon and I always wondered why they included it but not the Pumpkaboo line since I see these two as counterparts.
And continued thanks for the corrections. The UBs in particular escaped my mind.
I think Vanillish keeps getting in at least partially because it's a 3 stage ice line which is fairly rare in this series. There's only Mamoswine & Walrein and one of those is more water friendly (not that this stops Vanilluxe from floating over the galar lakes, i suppose). If vanillite was only a 2 stage line while, say, cubchoo was a 3 stage line I think we'd see similar things happen: Vanillite isnt used as much but Cubchoo is in just about every game going forward.

At the very least outside of SWSH he's actualy not super important in gamefreak. He's primarily a graphic designer originally brought on for cutscenes and then also tapped for pokemon designs (like most of the staff); his role in SWSH is his most important one as Art Designer for the entire game (one I'm curious if he retains for Armor & Crown, which are going for different aesthetics) but I'd imagine he doesn't have much say in game balance.

In theory, anyway. Perhaps it is him just going "hey....please put....my babibes in........" into everyone's ears and I'm giving more benefit of the doubt to the nepotism theories than I should. Full disclosure those theories always kind of bug me because it focuses so much on Turner who has designed some "controversial" pokemon and he's (I think, somehow?) the only westerner at gamefreak, but we don't shine similar lights on the other designers because we don't get to know them as much and their pokemon in theory don't get feathers ruffelled. So I might be projecting a little.
On another note, I did a quick check for the B2/W2 dex a while ago because I wanted to compare how it handled past generations compared to the Kalos and Alola dexes, and I remember that I found it to be rather balanced and fair, which the numbers in the first post here also proves. It could of course have been a little better, but I think it did a very good job at having an even inclusion of all previous generations, it did that much better than the Kalos, Alola and Galar dexes.
Yeah it's probably the most even. Only a 9 pokemon swing between lowest & highest, they definitely tried an even hand. I think gen 5 having a lot of "repalcements" helped keep Kanto low, but I haven't directly compared the lists beyond counting them out.[/QUOTE]

I think the discussion on the large amount of Gen 5 Pokémon in SwSh misses one major point: the 400 (435?) Pokémon present in SwSh's coding were quite clearly never intended to be the full available roster given our DLC updates. It's very likely that aside from a few prerequisite important Pokémon like Lucario and Eevee and Mewtwo, they filled SwSh's Pokédex with a lot of Pokémon that aren't necessarily disliked, but are a bit more obscure among the rest and aren't as popular so they can save big hitters like Lycanroc, Zubat, Nidoking and Volcarona for the DLC updates so that it feels like a bigger deal.

Gen 5's extremely large amount of Pokémon would definitely fit into this category due to having both introduced a lot and being in that awkward spot of not being recent enough to be relevant nor early enough to be nostalgic for a lot of people. It's hardly like what I'm describing applies to the Gen 5 selection in the game, either -- when you're thinking about Gen 4 Pokémon, are Cherrim and Shellos some of the first that spring to mind? Heliolisk and Barbaracle of Gen 6? Hitmonchan, Remoraid, Lunatone, Torkoal, Qwilfish; in so, so many places it feels like Game Freak went out of their way to choose some of the most random, least recognisable Pokémon for base game. Indeed, a very large percentage of them have either rarely appeared in past regional dexes beyond their own gen or hadn't pulled in a second appearance at all until SwSh.

I'm actually happy with this, mind. It means that until we get the full dex back, we have a very interesting and unique selection of Pokémon; and even in the in-game itself it kind of forced you to think about using Pokémon you usually wouldn't or had barely heard of or remembered before -- getting flashbacks to Colosseum, here. My point is simply that I think it's a mistake to look at not just the large majority of Gen 5 Pokémon but also many of the obscure picks as a strange enigma, rather than deliberate marketing decisions in light of the DLC and updates.

This is really cool, thanks for the time you took to make it.

I actually made a list a while back of which mons I'd include in a regional dex for a hypothetical new game (along with 86 concepts for new Pokemon I designed, but that's another conversation) and it got me wondering how how the designers choose which Pokemon from which gen will make it into the regional dexes. Typing must surely play a role in the decision (Platinum's Dex expansion makes it painfully obvious that the designers realised their error in only including two Fire-types in DP, though 151 was miserably small for a regional Dex in Gen IV anyway). I'm inclined to think that individual popularity is also a consideration given the inclusion of things like Lucario in the Kalos Dex, but there are often oddball picks, like Wurmple being in the Sinnoh Dex. As someone mentioned, in later gens the designers have more freedom to pick the "usual suspects" (Pidgey or Pidove? Rattata or Sentret? Spinarak or Sewaddle?).

BW2's Dex is probably my favourite listing both for the number of Pokemon it included and the amount of old favourites that made it in. Even there, there are some unusual picks. Dunsparce is available prominently - perhaps someone was a fan and wanted to give it a boost? - while the Slakoth line is included but oddly not available until the postgame! Very odd. As Kurona mentions it's interesting how many obscure Pokemon were chosen for SwSh, whilst popular classics like Alakazam, Dragonite, Blissey, Metagross, and Garchomp were left out (though this makes more sense given the upcoming expansion). I'd like to see more of that in future games: lesser-used Pokemon given greater prominence.

Last edited:
I'm longing to know what Glameow did to have been treated so abominably for the last decade by the developers.
I think its biggest issue is that it's a feline and they rather include Meowth for that "slot".

That and Purugly being an abomination that deserves being removed from the Pokedex

I think its biggest issue is that it's a feline and they rather include Meowth for that "slot".

That and Purugly being an abomination that deserves being removed from the Pokedex
Except when they decide Skitty is a worthwhile inclusion. Lord knows id take Glameow over that in Unova. And kalos

The Glameow line is an interesting case. Looking at their availability in all generations since they were introduced, they have not been in many games at all.

Gen 4: Only available in one game (Pearl) as a version exclusive. For some reason, the Glameow line and its counterpart (the Stunky line) were not included in Platinum at all. Or in HG/SS, though that's a bit more understandable (but they could still have been obtainable through some alternative means such as the Sinnoh Sounds, Pokéwalker, Swarms or the horror Safari Zone).
Gen 5: In the actual games, Glameow was only obtainable in White 2 through a specific Funfest Mission (which required you to complete another mission first in order to unlock the Glameow mission). It could also be obtained through Dream World (Pleasant Forest, 5000 Dream Points required before it would start to appear).
Gen 6: Glameow and Purugly could be found on Mirage Spots in OR/AS. Glameow on one, Purugly on four different ones.

It was not in the Alola Dex in Gen 7 and it is not in Gen 8 (so far). It is kind of odd how few games the Glameow line has been in, and how rare/exclusive they have usually been in both the games and generations where they have actually been included. In comparison, the Stunky line have had it a little better as Stunky is in X/Y (Route 11, 35% chance appearing in Swarms) as well as in Gen 8 and S/S where it is reasonably common. Stunky also had a lower requirement for being found in Dream World, the downside being that it didn't get added until the Spooky Manor which was not available from the beginning as it got added as an extension (though it was the first one).

I wonder if there are any other Pokémon that are as forgotten/ignored as the Glameow line? That said, Game Freak haven't completely forgotten about Glameow since they updated its model in Gen 7 (which they didn't do for any other regular Pokémon according to Bulbapedia). And on a personal note (which might also be an unpopular opinion and therefore not related to this thread), is that despite its name, I don't really find Purugly to be ugly at all. I think it looks okay, and I like it. Though it might be because I like cats in general and I like several cat Pokémon even if Game Freak don't always treat them well in the games.

I have even more comments to make on the subject of the Pokémon included in the various regional dexes, but I'll leave it with this for the moment.

Another fun contrast: Unown
Gen 2 introduced, in all games
Missed RSE
Post game with dedicated islands and 2 new forms in FRLG
Part of sinnoh dex in DPPt
Returns in HGSS
Not in Gen 5 at all, not even by Dream World. Shares this distinction with Pikachu's family
Missed XY
ORAS as mirage spots.
Not in Gen 7 but fwiw the GSC VC titles were released?
Not in Gen 8. And hidden power was removed....for now.

Its kind of crazy Unown came back for a regional dex at all tbh. I wonder id Ball seals spurred that on?

Late to this, as sad as Glameow’s presence in the Core RPGs, it is not as sad as the Skiddo line. This line has currently only appeared in XY, and literally no other game since. It was a test for the ride feature in SM, which itself was never a bad part of. I do find it bizzare that they have only appeared in two titles to date, since Gogoat was one of the first Pokémon of XY to be promoted, yet seems not to be on par with Helioptile and Noivern.

Figured it was about time to update this with Isle of Armor. You get three of them!

The update's new pokemon (Not counting Magearna, just for consistency)

As expected, a number of gen 1 pokemon but also checkout all the gen 5 pokemon. Gen 3's the real loser here, 6 pokemon and 1 of those is tied to the Marill line. The Johto pokemon are also mostly tied to other lines.

Galar + the Armor Dex newbies (now counting the Bulbasaur & Squirtle lines! Not counting Magearna or the Alolan starters)

And here's the updated grand total. Remember that Im not counting "Foregin" pokemon who (inexplicably) dont get a proper dex entry.

If you don't want to scroll back up for comparison, here's the base game

And as a bonus here's one for the "subregion" Isle of Armor Dex

We do seem to know exactly what Pokemon are coming in Tundra, but just in case plans change I'll hold off on breaking that down.

I didn't say it on the main threads, but... I find it kinda depressing how my optimistic predictions (IoA being a place you could evolve alola forms/weezing; more galar forms; berry farm; easier way to get apricorns etc) turned out to be wrong... but my one big pessimistic prediction, that they left a bunch of Gen 1 Pokémon out of base game just so the DLC additions would have them; was completely absolutely correct. Damn.

Well Crown Tundra's been out so, time for an update!

TUNDRA UPDATE

So here is where not counting Pokemon not literally in a Pokedex becomes hilarious. You will note there was not a single gen 7 pokemon!

Something I want to point out here is that all 4 of the gen 2 pokemon are attached to other lines: Smoochum, Magby, Elekid and Crobat.

TUNDRA DEX

And here's the breakdown of the Tundra Dex itself. A whopping 4 gen 7 pokemon.

GALAR + ARMOR + TUNDRA

And here's the final (foreign-less) break down. Interesting how gen 1 & 5 have 1:1 parity, though that likely wasn't intentional at all; counting the foreign pokemon gen 5 obviously blows past them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)