OU RBY OU Viability Ranking (2016 to 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that both Slowbro and Poliwrath are better, but Golduck still has a good niche.
-The Speed matters, since Golduck outspeeds Victreebel, Venusaur and Dragonite without the need to paralyze them. Also higher crit rate.
- Golduck also has higher special than Poliwrath and unlike Slowbro it gets Hydropump, meaning that is the only one of the 3 that has a reasonable chance (53,8% without factoring misses) to 2HKO Chansey at +4 without suiciding with Submission.
-Its also the best against Exeggutor, since it will be forced to explode, instead of fishing for a crit with Megadrain against Slowbro or Psychic (that can also drop special) against Poliwrath.
-Its not weak to Psychic like Poliwrath and it kills Starmie faster than Slowbro does, thanks to, yet again, Hydropump.
-Like Slowbro, and unlike Poliwrath , it has a small (15,8%) chance to 2HKO Snorlax at +2 with Surf, without the need to use a non-accurate move.

Its still a pretty bad Mon, but a solution that I have found to use it succesfully is pairing it with Slowbro and other paralyzing Mons. Slowbro and Golduck share counters, so Slowbro paralyzes them and weakens them a little with Surf or even Psychic if you are that guy. Then Golduck comes later in the game and wrecks those counters with Hydro Pump and Blizzard.

So, no, E rank is good for Golduck, no rise is deserved, but neither is a drop.
Alright, thanks for clarifying.

Speaking of Water-types, I feel like Vaporeon deserves a mention. A set utilizing Haze, a Water STAB, Blizzard and Rest makes for a nice counter against Amnesia users and other boosting Pokemon. The main attraction of Vaporeon imo is Haze since its basically the closest thing to a phazing move in the game. I've used it to decent success against Slowbros and Amnesialax. Also, it can annoy Sword Dancers decently

Speaking of Water-types, I feel like Vaporeon deserves a mention. A set utilizing Haze, a Water STAB, Blizzard and Rest makes for a nice counter against Amnesia users and other boosting Pokemon. The main attraction of Vaporeon imo is Haze since its basically the closest thing to a phazing move in the game. I've used it to decent success against Slowbros and Amnesialax. Also, it can annoy Sword Dancers decently
I disagree. Boosters aren't so pervasive that using an entire teamslot to counter them is justified, especially when Vap doesn't really do a whole lot else. Not to mention that Haze also has the huge drawback of clearing the opponent's status

If Kabutops ends up ranked, so should be Omastar, which deals with Snorlax and most of the Meta even better:

Lord Helix (Omastar)
Ability: Swift Swim
- Hydro Pump
- Seismic Toss / Body Slam / Surf/ Rest
- Blizzard
- Submission

For starters, Omastar is not OHKOed by any non-crit move in the game. Proof of this:

Zapdos Thunder vs. Omastar: 275-324 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < This is the strongest Electric move that Omastar will ever receive.
Exeggutor Mega Drain vs. Omastar: 187-220 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < A "strong" grass Move.
Victreebel Razor Leaf vs. Omastar on a critical hit: 422-496 (123 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO < This does OHKO, but well, is a x4 move that almost always crits, lol.

On the phisical side, its even better:
Rhydon Earthquake vs. Omastar: 221-260 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < Strongest Ground Move. And Omastar outspeeds its user, so it can switch in.

Machamp Submission vs. Omastar: 178-210 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < Not a common Mon, but this is the strongest Fight Move that Omastar can face.

Now, all of the above means nothing if Omastar can,t hit back, but it actually can and its good at it. Lets compare its match-ups to Kabutops ones.

Tauros:

Tauros Earthquake vs. Omastar: 124-146 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Tauros Earthquake vs. Kabutops: 139-164 (43 - 50.7%) -- 2.2% chance to 2HKO

Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Tauros: 181-213 (51.2 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Omastar Surf vs. Tauros: 142-168 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Tauros on a critical hit: 112-132 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- 88.4% chance to 3HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Tauros: 245-289 (69.4 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against Tauros, Omastar is better at both taking hits and hitting back.

Reflect + EQ Lax.

Snorlax Earthquake vs. Omastar: 132-156 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Snorlax Earthquake vs. Kabutops: 149-176 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 57.8% chance to 2HKO

Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Snorlax: 187-220 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Snorlax on a critical hit: 142-167 (27.1 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+6 Kabutops Body Slam vs. Snorlax through Reflect: 133-157 (25.4 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+6 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Snorlax through Reflect: 235-277 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- 27.7% chance to 2HKO

Again, Omastar is a lot better at both taking hits and hitting back.

AmnesiaLax. Lets suppose it also has Tbolt, which it almost never uses, but just to show the difference.

Snorlax Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 97-114 (28.2 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 Snorlax Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 190-224 (55.3 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 Snorlax Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 285-336 (83 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Snorlax Thunderbolt vs. Kabutops: 132-156 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 Snorlax Thunderbolt vs. Kabutops: 265-312 (82 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 Snorlax Blizzard vs. Omastar: 119-141 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 Snorlax Blizzard vs. Kabutops: 165-195 (51 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 Snorlax Ice Beam vs. Omastar: 94-111 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+6 Snorlax Ice Beam vs. Kabutops: 131-155 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Omastar Hydro Pump vs. +2 Snorlax: 94-111 (17.9 - 21.2%) -- possible 5HKO
Omastar Submission vs. Snorlax: 112-132 (21.4 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Snorlax on a critical hit: 142-167 (27.1 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 Kabutops Body Slam vs. Snorlax: 176-207 (33.6 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+4 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Snorlax: 463-545 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 28.2% chance to OHKO

Offensively, Kabutops is clearly better here, Omastar can,t beat this variant of Snorlax without crits. However, Omastar its still a lot better at switching-in and if Snorlax has IB as the only special move, Omastar can actually Stall it if it has Rest.

Chansey
Chansey Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 129-152 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Chansey Thunderbolt vs. Kabutops: 180-212 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Omastar Submission vs. Chansey: 233-274 (33.1 - 38.9%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
Omastar Submission vs. Chansey through Reflect: 117-138 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Chansey on a critical hit: 297-350 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Chansey: 652-767 (92.7 - 109.1%) -- 56.4% chance to OHKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Chansey through Reflect: 326-384 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 60.9% chance to 2HKO

Now, this one match-up is an important advantage for Kabutops, especially against the Reflect variant, which Omastar can only outstall with Rest while Kabutops easily wins. Against Tbolt variant things get more even, as Omastar is 3HKOed while Kabutops is 2HKOed. Still, Omastar can only win if it crits Submission or a partner weakens enough Chansey to the point the move 2HKOs. Its worth noting that Omastar outspeeds Chansey.

Exeggutor
Exeggutor Mega Drain vs. Omastar: 187-220 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Exeggutor Psychic vs. Omastar: 104-123 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- 40.6% chance to 3HKO
Exeggutor Mega Drain vs. Kabutops: 258-304 (79.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Exeggutor Psychic vs. Kabutops: 143-169 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 17.7% chance to 2HKO

Omastar Blizzard vs. Exeggutor: 165-194 (41.9 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Exeggutor on a critical hit: 120-142 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 50.6% chance to 3HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Exeggutor: 263-310 (66.9 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Exeggutor: 394-464 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Lets suppose that Egg has already slept something in this match. The Speed advantage Kabutops has plays a big role here since it means that Exeggutor can,t come on it, while Omastar only has speed-tie. Kabutops would boost to +4 and OHKO with Hyperbeam, without mattering (at least when Kabutops is at full) whether Egg has Megadrain or not. Megadrain and Speed-Tying do matter against Omastar, since, without factoring crits and misses, Egg will have a 50% chance to win against Omastar if switching-in. So, if Exeggutor switches-in, Kabutops is better than Omastar against him. However, in 1 vs 1 situations, Omastar is better due to the Freeze chance and higher resistance to Exeggutor's moves.

So, as for S Ranks, Omastar is always better against 1 (Tauros), usually better against another (Snorlax, Reflect is clearly more common than Amnesia), even on another (Egg) and clearly worse against the 4th (Chansey).

Lets see A Ranks now:

Starmie

Starmie Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 125-148 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Starmie Psychic vs. Omastar: 89-105 (25.9 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Starmie Thunderbolt vs. Kabutops: 173-204 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Starmie Psychic vs. Kabutops: 122-144 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Starmie Psychic vs. -1 Kabutops: 184-217 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Starmie: 71-84 (21.9 - 26%) -- 4% chance to 4HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Starmie on a critical hit: 120-142 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 Kabutops Body Slam vs. Starmie: 149-176 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 57.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Starmie: 263-310 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This match-up is horrible for Omastar. It can only win against paralyzed ones and if it has Seismic Toss, which is only a 4hko ( a Freeze on the switch is another option, but lets not discuss that). Kabutops also has huge troubles, since even if Starmie has no Tbolt, it can still 2HKO with Psychic if the first hit drops special. It does far more damage than Omastar, but still needs Starmie paralyzed beforehand. Kabutops is better here, but both are bad.

Alakazam

Alakazam Psychic vs. Omastar: 109-129 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 91.6% chance to 3HKO
Alakazam Psychic vs. Kabutops: 151-178 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 69.6% chance to 2HKO

Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Alakazam: 115-136 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Alakazam on a critical hit: 171-202 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Alakazam: 375-441 (119.8 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kabutops wins again
but still needs Alakazam either paralyzed or coming into it.

Zapdos

Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Omastar: 219-258 (63.8 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. Kabutops: 302-356 (93.4 - 110.2%) -- 61.5% chance to OHKO

Omastar Blizzard vs. Zapdos: 165-194 (43 - 50.6%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO
Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Zapdos: 123-145 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 95.1% chance to 3HKO
Kabutops Slash vs. Zapdos on a critical hit: 120-142 (31.3 - 37%) -- 81.7% chance to 3HKO
+2 Kabutops Hyper Beam vs. Zapdos: 263-310 (68.6 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Translation: Zapdos can come on Kabutops and OHKOs it more often than not. It can,t do the same to Omastar, who deals more damage. Clear win for Omastar.

Rhydon

Rhydon Earthquake vs. Omastar: 221-260 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Rhydon Earthquake vs. Kabutops: 251-296 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Both Kabutops and Omastar outspeed OHKO with the Water move of choice. Omastar not always will have Surf, so it could miss, but it can still afford the Move in its set. The difference here is that Omastar takes a lot less from the EQ, allowing it to check other threats, so, Omastar is better against Rhydon.

In A Ranks Omastar gets 3 bad match-ups and Kabutops only 2 (Starmie and Zapdos), meaning its better here. But not by a lot, since at least Omastar is better at fighting Zapdos.

Other Relevant Mons against which Kabutops is better: Cloyster (very slighty), Jynx (very slighty), Lapras (slighty if Tbolt, strongly if not), Slowbro (a lot), Victreebel/Venusaur (slighty), Jolteon (Slighty).

Other Relevant Mons against which Omastar is better: Gengar ( a lot better), Golem (slighty better), Articuno (slighty), Moltres ( a lot better), Dragonite ( a lot better) and Persian (a lot better).

So, I hope you enjoying this wall of calcs. In the end, is a matter of preferences which fossil is better, since they differ a lot in terms of match-ups. The point of this post was to show that if Kabutops has a case to be ranked, Omastar has it too.

Kabutops is definitely not that bad right now. If you look for a water type sweeper with SD though, Kingler is clearly the better Pokemon, since it lands crucial KOs at +2 Kabutops does not (and Kingler only needs two SDs to max out). Examples of that would be Chansey (as opposed to Kabutops 56% chance), and the chance to KO Starmie 31% of the time (Kabutops does not) [talking Hyper Beam here, of course]. Kingler's better punch is really noticable, which gives it an easier time when used sweeping. Kabutops has Slashto circumvent Reflect, but against Snorlax Kinger's Crabhammer is still better since it has a very high chance to 3HKO. Kabutops does not 3HKO Snorlax without any set-up. Huge advantage Kingler as well.
The Normal resistance is nice, but after all Kingler is also quite bulky and also takes 3 hits from either normal to KO plus they need Hyper Beam for that as well (whereas EQ-Lax 2HKOs Kabutops over 50% of time).

The advantage Kabutops has over Kingler is surely that is is an even better answer to IceLax (even though, as mentioned above, Kingler is not bad at that either), but the biggest issue for me is that Kabutops Slash threatens Chansey way more than Kinger without set up, especially of course the Reflect-Chanseys. So Kabutops edge is not mainly in the Snorlax checking role imo, but in the ability to function midgame better due to actually threatening Chansey (and Alakazam) more immediately. (Then again, Sandslash gets Slash as well and is probably better for exactly that purpose due to T-Wave immunity; but we don't want to go too deep here...).

With all that in mind, there is no doubt in my mind that Kingler is the surperior choice overall.

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah I think the comparison should be Kabutops vs Kingler rather than Kabutops vs Omastar. The only thing the two fossils have in common is typing.

I think Omastar should probably be ranked, given that garbage like Electrode and Tangela is somehow in E-rank, but to be honest I think E-ranks kinda need an overhaul, a lot of questionable mons are in there and a lot of mons that probably deserve to be there are not there

Yeah I think the comparison should be Kabutops vs Kingler rather than Kabutops vs Omastar. The only thing the two fossils have in common is typing.

I think Omastar should probably be ranked, given that garbage like Electrode and Tangela is somehow in E-rank, but to be honest I think E-ranks kinda need an overhaul, a lot of questionable mons are in there and a lot of mons that probably deserve to be there are not there
I feel like E Rank needs to ditch Tangela, Electrode and Charizard. Just way too niche. That, or make an E+ tier for the E rankers that are at least somewhat interesting to use like Tentacruel or Dodrio

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think my main objection to your post Lusch is that Kabutops is not just a sweeper. Its main use is that it switches in easily in the midgame against a lot of Pokemon and poses an instantaneous and brainless threat with Slash. You dont have to worry about getting outpredicted, you are just going to click Slash and dish out more damage than youre taking. Then sweeping is just a bonus option for when things are going your way.

Kingler on the other hand isnt as useful in the midgame because without a normal resistance it doesnt come in as easily and Body Slam and Crabhammer just arent strong enough against key midgame pokemon (Chansey, Mie and Eggy). It wants to come in once, Swords Dance and never switch out again.

As a pure sweeper Kingler is better than Kabutops, but Kabutops actually has defensive utility and it can sweep well enough. That flexibility gives Kabutops a big advantage IMO.

OTOH Kingler is also way better than Porygon.

I think my main objection to your post Lusch is that Kabutops is not just a sweeper. Its main use is that it switches in easily in the midgame against a lot of Pokemon and poses an instantaneous and brainless threat with Slash. You dont have to worry about getting outpredicted, you are just going to click Slash and dish out more damage than youre taking. Then sweeping is just a bonus option for when things are going your way.

Kingler on the other hand isnt as useful in the midgame because without a normal resistance it doesnt come in as easily and Body Slam and Crabhammer just arent strong enough against key midgame pokemon (Chansey, Mie and Eggy). It wants to come in once, Swords Dance and never switch out again.

As a pure sweeper Kingler is better than Kabutops, but Kabutops actually has defensive utility and it can sweep well enough. That flexibility gives Kabutops a big advantage IMO.

OTOH Kingler is also way better than Porygon.
The advantage Kabutops has over Kingler is surely that is is an even better answer to IceLax (even though, as mentioned above, Kingler is not bad at that either), but the biggest issue for me is that Kabutops Slash threatens Chansey way more than Kinger without set up, especially of course the Reflect-Chanseys. So Kabutops edge is not mainly in the Snorlax checking role imo, but in the ability to function midgame better due to actually threatening Chansey (and Alakazam) more immediately. (Then again, Sandslash gets Slash as well and is probably better for exactly that purpose due to T-Wave immunity; but we don't want to go too deep here...).

With all that in mind, there is no doubt in my mind that Kingler is the surperior choice overall.
I think we agree on that part, Hipmonlee. Not sure where the objection lies... Maybe my comclusion that I view Kingler as the better choice overall? Well... Kabutops is kinda like a Kingler-Sandslash hybrid imo. Rock typing is a selling point, but let's not pretend the move you come in on bears no risk for you as well. We all know Body Slam and it does not matter how much damage the Slam on the switch does. Once you take that PAR your Kabutops will struggle. Basically, it has to make sense to use Kabutops over either Kingler or Sandslash (two uncommon Pokemon as it is) to justify it. And I don't know how many teams appreciate it more. Don't want to discuss this here too much... We're talking relatively irrelvent stuff anyway.

wyc2333

A=X+Y+Z Y: Hard Work
if kabutops struggles against para, so does kingler. ig one of the reasons why kingler ranks D is that it is hard to get a free setup

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
A few things:
I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that Kabutops is primarily a sweeper, whether you personally were making that mistake, it seemed to me like your post would encourage that line of thinking in other players who might read it.
Kabutops is able to continue checking Snorlax and Chansey pretty effectively even after getting paralysed.

I dont understand the comparison with Sandslash. Sandslash checks an entirely different set of Pokemon... They are just very different Pokemon.

Kabutops is not irrelevant to RBY. I think it has well and truly proven throughout the year that it should be in our viability rankings. D seems like the perfect spot for it.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think it has well and truly proven throughout the year that it should be in our viability rankings. D seems like the perfect spot for it.
Has it? Admittedly I haven't keeping up with minor tours at all over the last year and a half, I would like to see some replays of Kabutops doing anything because I struggle to imagine it doing enough for D rank.

Amaranth

Ehh any Slash mon could do what Kabutops did here, considering he was switched onto sleeping Laxes. He definitely deserves to be ranked and I suppose he's marginally better than the E ranks, sure.

Proposal: merge D+, D, D- together since the quality and quantity of these mons doesn't differ enough to justify a split, add in Omastar and Kabutops to D, and maybe raise Poliwrath from E. Thoughts?

kjdaas

this girl rly slapped some letters together huh
is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Ehh any Slash mon could do what Kabutops did here, considering he was switched onto sleeping Laxes. He definitely deserves to be ranked and I suppose he's marginally better than the E ranks, sure.

Proposal: merge D+, D, D- together since the quality and quantity of these mons doesn't differ enough to justify a split, add in Omastar and Kabutops to D, and maybe raise Poliwrath from E. Thoughts?
I'm open to any changes and was planning after SPL to ask everyone again to rank all the mons to see if there are any tier changes. I think for D-rank and lower, people can just propose some mons to be removed or added and if there is enough support (e.g. likes or responses) I'll add/remove them.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
If I can throw in my two cents, I think that people are going in the right direction. However, I think that we need to establish how good a mon need to be to be ranked at all. Personally, I feel the current list is way too lenient and ruins the potential for the D and E ranks.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I think that D and E should reflect mons that could be usable in top level games and will do more than just potentially get lucky. I say this because RBY OU is a little unique in that there is a small list of unconvential mons that work in top level games, without being some kind of surprise gimmick, only works on a specialized team, and that players would not be completely surpirsed of seeing. However, we have a lot of mons like Aero, Golduck and Gyarados, which don't really fit that guideline. (Not to mention things like Electrode and Tangala). So, these ranks feel bloated and meaningless.
Going with that idea, we need stricter guidelines on what qualifies for a ranking, especially for E. If we have lower ranks, then they should be taken more seriously imo, because they are a potentially a good resource for newer players to deepen the pool of potential mons to choose from and help them better expect what could be used against them.

Maybe a potential list of all D and E mons would be something like: Hypno, Porygon, Kabutops, Kingler, Sandslash, Pinsir, Venusaur, Omastar, Kangaskhan and Poliwrath. (In no particular order)
I'm sure there's something wrong with this list, and please do correct it. However, having a smaller list of more viable mons is the best way to start looking at the D and E ranks from here. Only after that can discussion on which mon is better should be begin, imo.

Last edited:
I agree that D/E needs an overhaul- Electrode and such being ranked is a dead horse at this point. Personally I'm in favour of merging all of D and E, but being significantly more selective about what gets ranked

Just for shits and giggles, I went through every fully evolved pokemon that isn't C rank or higher and grouped them into categories. Let me know if I missed any
Ranked
Obvious
Sandslash
Hypno
Kingler
Kangaskhan- if counter gets banned, this is literally just a broke man's Tauros... which would still be enough to rank it imo
Pinsir
Porygon

Questionable (imo)
Venusaur- Good pokemon, but its niche relative to Bel is really small. Still think it should be ranked though
Clefable- I'm torn between whether this is obvious or not. It's so versatile, yet fairly bad at everything
Flareon

Controversial (I suspect there will be significant disagreement)
Raticate- I still think of this as being viable thanks to During Summer finding success with it in serious matches. That said, that's like the only relevant usage it's ever received afaik, and that was a good 4/5 years ago, so I'm not going to really argue this one

Idk (stuff where I'd definitely defer to other people)
Arbok- I would've considered this trash if Enigami hadn't spoken in support of it
Golduck- I would've considered this unviable, but I've seen people speaking in favour of it recently
Poliwrath- I haven't had good experiences with it, but Amaranth/Troller made some solid arguments in favour of it
Omastar- I don't think very much of it, but I've very little experience with it
Kabutops- I always thought the theory for this added up, but never actually tested it. Some people seem in favour of it, so I'll roll with that.

Unranked
Controversial (I suspect there will be significant disagreement)
Dodrio- It's a decent pokemon in vacuum, but with numerous other fast normals competing for the same role, I don't think Dodrio does enough to claim a significant niche. I think it's terrible outside the lategame due to its frailty, weaknesses, and the fact that bringing it in early against an unscouted team risks letting GolDon in for free. The trouble is, the main thing differentiating from other Normals, DPeck, is at its most useful early in the game when you're seeing Egg being heavily involved (Bel is more mixed because it's more versatile, but it's also much less common), and not nearly as useful late game. EQ immunity is also a notable trait, but the most important EQ to switch in on imo is Don's, which Drio obviously can't do. With all that said, I fully expect people to disagree with me here, and I'm not going to really put up a fight if people want to rank it.

Edit: the more I think on this, the more I think it's inconsistent for me to have Drio unranked but still rank Rat- some of the critiques I level against Drio also apply to Rat. Furthermore, Drio is usable enough in its own right, it's just difficult to justify over other similar Normals, whereas everything else that I've put as unranked I genuinely believe is not worth using. So basically I'm talking myself into adding Drio to the ranked section

Interesting but not worth using (unviable)
Charizard
Raichu
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Ninetales
Dugtrio
Machamp
Tentacruel
Rapidash
Hitmonlee- That said, Golden Gyarados argued in favour of it a while back, and I'd definitely defer to them on the matter
Gyarados

Irredeemable trash
Blastoise
Butterfree
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Fearow
Wigglytuff
Golbat
Vileplume
Parasect
Venomoth
Primeape
Arcanine
Magneton
Farfetch'd
Dewgong
Muk
Onix
Electrode
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Lickitung
Weezing
Tangela
Seadra
Seaking
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Ditto
Vaporeon
Aerodactyl

Last edited:

assless jorts

Banned deucer.
Tauros is not the best pokemon in modern RBY. It is Snorlax. Snorlax is fat as fuck and once it has reflect it is incredibly difficult to beat. It can sit and spam ice beam too to take advantage of the fact that it is casually walling everything. It is the culmination of everything broken in RBY (except for crits I guess). It is incredibly consistent and honestly versatile, as good as reflect rest lax is you can mix it up and have incredible success with other sets. This is pretty nitpicky because both are so good they are automatically on every team, but it may as well be corrected. Think of it this way - if you had to pick one, you are usually picking Snorlax. Tauros is a monstrous sweeper obviously, but Snorlax is clearly better right now.

I'm kind of confused as to how B+ and B- rank are organized. In my mind they should really look like this:

B+ Rank:
  • :jynx:
  • :jolteon:
  • :cloyster:
  • :gengar:
B Rank:
  • :lapras:
  • :victreebel:
  • :slowbro:
Jynx is clearly the best of these 7. It is used far more than any of the others. Jolteon is clearly second, and then there is a power gap. Jynx is a great lead and can quickly sleep something. Sleeping something early is better, and even once something is slept it poses a massive threat because it has two incredibly powerful stabs that pose the risk of special drops or freezes immediately. Jynx is fantastic at gaining an early lead and continues to be a threat throughout the game. Jolteon got a lot better once people started running rest on it. It is fast and powerful with a dangerous crit rate allowing it to be a very effective late game cleaner. Although somewhat shaky, especially when your opponent is doubling to normals when paralysis is present, it is a Zapdos check. Late game Zapdos can be beaten however barring pretty extreme luck.

I have Cloyster and Gengar in B+ too although I'm not too sure about it, they could be pushed down a tier or whatever. They are both decent to strong picks with their fair share of issues. Cloyster can be really good if you get something paralyzed and hit your clamps. Gengar is incredibly useful if you can bait out an explosion, hit hypnosis and get off your explosion on something important. They're both good mons with effective strategies largely held back by similar accuracy issues. Gengar is also especially prediction dependent - catching an exploding Exeggutor is great but psychic really hurts. Exploding a Chansey is amazing, Rhydon not so much.

Lapras is really fat and has good relatively consistent utility. It's not an incredibly exciting mon but putting it under the niche picks below it seems wrong. Lapras could go over Gengar or Cloyster I guess, not really sure. I put it down here because the current rankings have it below Cloyster so I kept the precedent. Could easily be swapped with Gengar in these ranks, would be curious what others think. Victreebel is good I guess, but there is no way it is better than the mons above it. It's awkward to fit with exeggutor and most of the time I would rather have the bulk, psychic resist, and explosion. Not to say you can't run both, but it just isn't that consistent and is weak to far too much with far too little bulk to be an overly consistent pick. Not a single Victreebel has been brought to SPL (thus far), which should tell you something about how RBY's best players feel about it... It's really hard to get Slowbro to work. It's a nice idea in theory to setup amnesia rest off damage and then sweep but it's really hard to execute with any remote sense of consistency.

tl;dr - victreebel isn't that good, jolteon is, snorlax > tauros

No idea what's going on in E rank, probably like half or more of that stuff should not be ranked.

Last edited:
As a Random that uses almost every Mon in this Tier, I will provide list of Mons that I consider 100% outclassed or bad enough so that there is almost 0 reasons to use them. I warn that it will be shorter than every single other list that could be made in this thread :

-Butterfree. Not outclassed by anything since its faster than Egg and has Psychic unlike Victreebel... But its terrible. Terrible typing that has no STABs, and terrible Stats too. The Movepool doesn,t save it at all.
-Pidgeot. Has more bulk that Dodrio and Mirror Move... And thats it. No point of using it outside of maybe Toxic Stall... but there are better Mons for an already medicore strategy.
-Fearow. Even worse than Pidgeot, since the difference in bulk with Dodrio is even less while the difference in power is still big, without having Body Slam too.
-Golbat. Not outclassed by anything, but has terrible typing, bad Stats and just doesn,t do anything in a match.
-Vileplume. Totally outclassed by both Victreebel and Venusaur. Doesn,t even have Razor Leaf, lol.
-Venomoth. Similar to Butterfree with a worse typing, but slighty better Stats.
-Primeape. The difference in speed between it and Hitmonlee can only matter against an unboosted Moltres and Jynx in OU. It does have more Bulk, but doesn,t reach Machamp's and lacks Hi Jump Kick. Tbolt (for Slowbro) is no enough in this case.
-Arcanine. Poor tiger (some might argue its a dog). Amazing Stats, but cursed with a horrible movepool and a bad typing. Every single Fire Type has something to distinguish itself from others, except Arcanine.
-Magneton. Absolute worse electric in the game. Doesn,t beat Chansey, doesn,t beat Exeggutor, doesn,t beat any ground.
-Farfetch'd. Outclassed by Persian and Dodrio.
-Dewgong. This one is actually a decent Mon by itself. But the only team I would consider it using is a team with the other 4 Ice Mons in it, since they are all better.
-Marowak. Sandslash has better Stats in... everything. And Sandslash is not even that good of a Mon. It does get some Moves that Sandslash doesn,t: Fire Blast (30% of burn), Blizzard (4HKO to Egg with a chance to freeze, but Slash's Slash does the same except freezing), Counter and Bonemerang ( which doesn,t even break Rhydon's Sub in the first hit, lol). But is not enough.
-Hitmonchan. If only he had a decent special to use those Punches... Machamp, Hitmonlee and Poliwrath are all better. Even Primeape is, probably.
-Seadra. Outclassed by so many things that I won,t even list them.
-Seaking. Hey, a Water Type with Agility + Horn Drill! Oh, wait...
-Scyther. Pinsir is a better SD Sweeper, Beedrill a better Double Dance Sweeper (it at least has Bug STAB) and Persian is a better Slash user. Fully outclassed.
-Electabuzz. It has Psychic for Victreebel, Venusaur, Nidoking and Nidoqueen, but only Vic is somewhat a common Mon. At least its better than Magneton and it actually is the only Electric that has 0 counters. Why, would you ask? Its the only one that learns METRONOME..........................................Ok, lets go to the last one.
-Ditto. Needs literally the whole rival team statused to work.

Every other Mon can viably be used in (very) Specific Teams, though the actual Meta will never have more than the 15-20 best Mons. But hey, since E Tier is already a thing that nobody looks, why don,t put there every Mon that is not in my list? New players have the right to commit mistakes and follow the Eeveeto's religion in their games!

Amaranth

I'm kind of confused as to how B+ and B- rank are organized.
The ranks were voted on a while ago (May 2019) and in that time we've seen clicking thunder wave T1 become less and less popular. This has a few side effects on a lot of the B-rank mons - Victreebel gets a hell of a lot worse when there's unparalyzed Starmies and especially Alakazams running around, for instance, while Gengar gets better because if you switch to Chansey turn 1 to take a twave and your opponent pressures it with Snorlax you can send Gengar on the Body Slam and cash in on your sleep very reliably. A lot of shifts and minor changes are ongoing at the moment, I think after SPL we will probably try to rearrange the ranks a bit to reflect this, for now I think it would be better to wait for the tournament to give us more data and more high level games to judge mons off of. For what it's worth I fully agree with your proposed rearrangement of B-ranks, a quick glance at the usage stats from these first 4 weeks of SPL will confirm pretty much everything you've stated in your post, but I think we're in no rush to rearrange the rankings currently, considering how much discussion these things usually take

I also agree with your statement that Snorlax is better than Tauros, but as you can see from this data (collected again in May 2019) it used to be a fairly unpopular opinion - just me and three others out of 15 people thought Snorlax was #1. Maybe opinions have changed with time, and maybe it might be good to send out another one of these surveys to handle all of these potential shifts at once?

Enigami

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher
Mostly agree on Ortheore's D/E overhaul. Enough has changed since the last ranking between sets and play styles to render it a touch out of date.

Arbok probably should stay unranked, or at best hang at the bottom of E. I know I advocated for it before, but the fall of the T1 TWave trading really has hurt it. The team it worked on counted on the enemy team discovering the para-wrap spam strategy too late, ending up with extremely limited options to handle Wrap on the opponent's side and then losing what little options they had to TWave/Stun Spore/Glare setting them up for the other Wrappers. With the 3 of them together, they even had some tolerance for bad RNG. The para-wrap spam core that Arbok works with wants a slow metagame that invites itself to be choked up by Wrap, teams nowadays are faster and more cautious and better equipped to handle it. And although Arbok gives Wrap a way to beat and push their gameplan through Gengar, Gengar's increased popularity is yet another headache for Arbok teams to deal with (not to mention Psychic on Gengar)

Omastar and Kabutops I think are quite underexplored, but I think they may have missed the boat on being great anti-meta mons. I've been seeing more and more Earthquake Snorlaxes again, likely due to Gengar's rise, and Tops especially doesn't do so hot against it. Feels like Snorlax sets are a bit too volatile right now to bank on a 'Snorlax Counter', and I'd lean on Pory here because Oma/Tops share Gar's Earthquake weakness while Porygon is at its best against Earthquake Snorlax. Though I think I've been seeing more Amnesia Laxes too, and Pory crumbles against those...

In your unranked pile, the only things I see worth saving are Gyarados and Nidoqueen. They both are kind of underwhelming mixed attackers especially when compared to their OU competition, but their speed and typing can be major boons in certain matchups, particularly against Rhydon, Cloyster and Victreebel. Gyarados is sort of a middle ground between Lapras and Articuno, boasting the EQ immunity of Articuno to effectively harass Rhydon and lack of vulnerability to Razor Leaf and Wrap, with Lapras' coverage to deal with the Pokemon that give Articuno trouble. Nidoqueen provides an anti-Electric with a 'flatter' matchup spread compared to Rhydon, not matching up quite as well against Zapdos (RestJolt has a REALLY bad time though) but at the same time sports less one-sided matchups against Pokemon that easily oneshot Rhydon, and most notably is the only Ground-type that can survive 2 turns against Tauros (which results in enough damage to put it in opposing Tauros HB or Zapdos TBolt range, for example). Of course, there's Gyara's issues with 4x Electric weakness and reliance on Hydro Miss, and Nidoqueen's attacks paling in comparison to Rhydon's shear power, but they do have enough behind them to be effective and less of a liability than their OU competition in certain not uncommon matchups, which seems enough to me to hold on to being ranked.

I also agree with your statement that Snorlax is better than Tauros, but as you can see from this data (collected again in May 2019) it used to be a fairly unpopular opinion - just me and three others out of 15 people thought Snorlax was #1. Maybe opinions have changed with time, and maybe it might be good to send out another one of these surveys to handle all of these potential shifts at once?
I feel like doing the whole survey thing annually wouldn't be a bad way to go. That seems to be roughly how long it takes for things to shift around and create some inconsistencies with the VR. Furthermore, SPL seems to be a defining time of year as it fully displays how the metagame has evolved in the past year and also provides hints as to what's to come in the future, so I think it makes sense to co-ordinate a full update with SPL, whether during or shortly after.

I do think an E+ Rank could work. Reserved for E Pokemon that are slightly more slappable on teams. I'd say Tentacruel and Dodrio fulfill this. Whereas Rapidash has very niche advantages over say, Moltres, I'd say Pokemon in E+ Rank have just noticable enough advantages (Dodrio murders Jynx, and Exeggutor, Tentacruel makes for an effective wrapper on paralysis teams). But maybe thats just me. Overall though, I feel like some E Rankers have got to go (Electrode, Tangela, and Dugtrio seem really niche)

Petition to add F rank as a formality. Basically all the other Fully Evolved Pokemon that are outclassed by everything from S to E in some way or another (Also for any other created tiers which I'll likely mention in UU).

Also, I want to add that if there's a discussion on Pokemon (a serious one), I feel that should be merit enough to give it at least E rank. Such as Kabutops and Omastar here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)