Social Language Exchange

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello, hola, salut!

In a community as large as Smogon (and even more on Showdown) it is quite common to interact with people from overseas, whose native tongue is not necessarily always English, and it's a blessing for the people specifically interested in languages, especially since English is the predominant language everywhere nowadays, and particularly online. On the other hand it can also be quite a huge wall to climb for the people who struggle with English, but today I'd like to focus on learning languages as a whole, whether you do it as a passtime or it's been your passion forever.

As a native French speaker who had to learn English and Spanish in middle school and high school, there is no need to say that it has always been quite easy for me to find relevant resources for these languages, or partners to practice with, be it in real life or online. Then my university days started, alongside my beginning in the world of learning German and Swedish; finding help with the former was still easy (although a bit less common), but with the latter, it became much harder, since the language isn't spread nearly as widely as the first three that I had learnt; I eventually got lucky enough to have as a tutee for 1 year a girl coming from Finland who mastered Swedish, so she's been of a great help to help me practice.

I do certainly plan on resuming my study of the Swedish language, and on adding other languages to my list of spoken ones in the future, especially now that I have quite a lot of free time. Though, unless I choose to learn widely-spread languages (such as cantonese, arabic, portuguese...), the resource & the people to practice with are going to be harder and harder to find, which is why I'm sharing some cool online places to practice languages with other people, and will happily take any suggestion of similar sites that I do not know yet. I'd also like to add that I value human interaction more, so these places are more likely to suit you if you already have some basics in your target language; there are resources for learning a language as a whole online, but I don't know much about them since I prefer the good old way, with books or inside a classroom (so I won't talk about things like Duolingo here) !

The language chatrooms on Pokémon Showdown (or any chatroom if you want to practice English): if there is something convincing me that my 7 years on Showdown weren't a complete waste of time, it is how much I have polished my English and my Spanish by interacting on a nearly daily basis with other people in these languages, natives or not. In most cases, people will forgive you if you make mistakes, and understand when you tell them that you're not a native speaker, so you can safely put your fears aside when talking with the goal of improving in a given language, and focus on understanding what's going on. I can speak with experience, and attest that while in my early Showdown days (2013-2014) I consistently had a Google Translate tab open for all the words that I couldn't understand, and it has stopped being a necessity long ago, so I can't stress enough on how beneficial online chatrooms can be for those who seek human interaction and aim at improving their communication skills. Although in all honesty, it is common to hear that the users in the French and Portuguese room constantly destroy their own language and, while I can't verify whether this statement is true or not for the Portuguese chatroom (except the fact that they remove all the vocals from the words for some reason), it is definitely the case in the French room, which happens to belong to a language who gets butchered by its speakers on a daily basis, and it goes much further than a native English saying "could of" or getting "affect" and "effect" mixed. It's usually not that distracting and you can catch the meaning of most sentences, but when visiting online chatrooms that are not specialized into teaching a language, you should not adopt a "watch and learn" point of view, solely a "it's an occasion to practice with natives" point of view. Might be very hard to grab things if you're a very beginner.

The Conversation Exchange website: It is not super duper big, but it still has quite a lot of users, and this time, it's specifically dedicated to exchanging language experiences, skills... You're able to select your native language, as well as the languages you want to practice and to what level of mastery, then there is an option to help you search for people with similar goals that match yours. For example, if I say that my native tongue is French and that I want to look for people who speak Swedish, then the algorithm will do its best to pair me with a person whose native tongue is Swedish and who wants to improve their French. Every person can specify whether they're willing to teach to beginners or if they simply prefer to chitchat for practice, so with time, you can certainly find a language partner who suits you and whom you suit. It has some chatrooms too, but they aren't very active, so this website is much better suited for 1 on 1 conversations. You can also be matched with people from your area, which can potentially encourage meetups if you live in a big city.

The Cave of Linguists Discord (to which Annika kindly invited me): Perhaps the widest place that I know that is specifically dedicated to language exchange, there are channels for nearly every language that you can think of, as well as events hosted by the channel leaders to help you practice. The language channels are usually not cluttered (but, on the other hand, you might not get an answer immediately, especially for some of the lesser spoken languages), but I've found them to be quite useful, and it doesn't matter if you want to get help for a specific homework or something that you don't understand, or if you simply want to casually talk for language practice: both are allowed and encouraged.

Facebook pages dedicated to language exchange: These are a bit harder to find & to list, and I don't know if there's a list of the "best" of them somewhere, but there are quite a few groups dedicated to help between speakers of certain languages. I can name "El Muro de los Idiomas" on top of my head, it is specifically dedicated to Spanish and I have found a peruvian friend on there with whom I still talk 6 years later. There's also "BlaBla Language ExChange" who hosts meetups and events in which you can meet other people who share your passion of languages and practice with them, provided you share a common language, around a warm coffee. These events might be exclusive to Europe, I don't recall exactly (although something similar probably exists elsewhere), but given the crazy amount of students who come from a given EU country and go study in another one thanks to the Erasmus program, I assume that it is logical that more events take place on the old continent.

Tutoring programs in universities: If you're a university student in Europe, it's likely that your university is a member of Erasmus and welcomes foreign students every semester (and outside of Europe, there are still partnerships for exchanges between countries). That is the case in my university, which is how I was assigned a Finnish tutee for a year, and that was perhaps my best experience so far in learning languages; outside of having made a long term friend, I had also helped her with her French as much as she helped me with my Swedish, and I will definitely try to renew the experience when my availabilities match the required ones again. If you already work or if you're not in university yet, such exchange programs might be harder to encounter, but if you live in a big area then it is likely that there are events somewhere, held regularly, in which people talk to each other in languages nobody would hear anywhere else in the street!

That's all of the things I can mention/link for the moment, and the main ones that I use! I wish there would be a big renowned place specifically made for language exchange, like a kind of Tinder except it's not for dating but for interacting... maybe that already exists and I just haven't had the chance to stumble upon it yet?
Please do feel free to share your own experience regarding languages, which one you've learned/targeted, your resource of choice if necessary... And if someone is wanting to chat in French, English, Spanish or Swedish, feel free to reach to me!

(if many people reply, I might edit the OP and add a list of who speaks what, which could be cool for people wishing to find a language partner :bloblul:)

Last edited:

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Heya, native English speaker here and I also speak Swedish at around a B1 (low intermediate) level.
If anyone wants to practice Swedish or English with me, feel free to message me!
Also, +1 to Lio's suggestion of Cave of Linguists—I lead the Swedish channel there, and they're very helpful and friendly.

I also study Spanish in school but I'm not good at it.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Native Spanish (Latin American Spanish) speaker here! I don't do well at "teaching" but I'm more than willing to help anyone who's currently practicing Spanish :D ¡Cuenta conmigo!

I remember my first contact with the English language was thanks to my older brother who was teaching me basic words when I was just a kid. When I was 7, I was inscribed in a basic English Institute for around 5-ish or so years, where I could say that I learned more about grammar than about actual speaking, pronunciation or fluency but, it was still good stuff. Later on, I was inscribed to another, much smaller one where I studied for about 2 years I believe.

After that, I decided to continue learning on my own, by reading articles, playing videogames entirely in English, listening to songs, watching movies/series (if it had subtitles, way better), using any electronic appliance in English, and of course, by speaking with native English speakers either irl or online (voice calls and such) to further improve my fluency and pronunciation. I feel I still got a long road to travel but, it's still super exciting.

At some point I started to practice Italian, I find it very interesting, although I haven't built the habit and sometimes I just stop practicing overall. I really need to fix that XD. I'm down to practice with any native Italian speaker!

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fellow linguist and polyglot reporting in:

Ëch schwätze Lëtzebuergesch (native language)
Ich spreche Deutsch (C2)
Je parle français (C2)
I speak English (C2)
Hablo español (C1)
我说普通话 (A2)

My parents raised me trilingually (Luxembourgish, German and French) as a child, so, learning languages has always been a big part of my life.
Later on, during my high school years, I also picked up English, as the lingua franca of the 21st century par excellence, as well as Latin and a bit of Ancient Greek as an optional course.

Some of you might remember that I used to be a translator for Smogon's French translation team (as a non-native speaker) and it was definitely a great opportunity to practice and to meet other people that are interested in translating as well. I'm honestly glad to see that this section of Smogon has grown to what it is today and I hope that it'll continue to grow even further in the future.

My ambition is to become a translator, hence why I added Spanish and Mandarin Chinese to my linguistic répertoire thanks to online studies.
I'll see if I can pick up a few more languages throughout life, I'm not quite finished yet.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some of you might remember that I used to be a translator for Smogon's French translation team (as a non-native speaker) and it was definitely a great opportunity to practice and to meet other people that are interested in translating as well. I'm honestly glad to see that this section of Smogon has grown to what it is today and I hope that it'll continue to grow even further in the future.
The guy was actually better than some native speakers, if anyone's curious.

Joined the Cave of Linguists as well, hopefully I can brush up my Japanese there. Thanks for sharing that!
Yes I'm a weeb

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Not even crediting me for helping you with Swedish too, smh

English is good enough for me when it comes to non-native languages, tho I halfheartedly tried to learn Japanese for a while. To anyone else that wants to learn Swedish: don't, because you won't need it if you plan on visiting or just to talk to someone Swedish. But, I can help if you were dumb enough to try anyway.

Repu

The Sand Crew
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Olá a todos! (Hello everyone!)

I'm a native Portuguese speaker, and I'm currently aiming to brush up my English as much as possible.

Well, I think most people that had the opportunity to study English at a young age is very familiar with the language, and at least were I live knowing / learning English at a young age is very common. In my case, I always had (and still have) difficulties with English, sometimes tripping words, having grammar issues and always thinking about "oh gosh, have I wrote something wrong?" I started studying English at a young age, but most of the people I know started studying English much sooner than I did, and I always felt (and still feel) I was left behind. Around 2016 lots of things have changed to me, and my contact with English (specially grammar) became something more rare. Between 2016-2018, it was a time I couldn't afford or solely dedicate myself to studying it anymore.

I started translating for Smogon at the end of 2017, and with it I started getting more contact with English again, at least reading / translating articles. So whenever I had free-time during 2018, I would translate or grammar check translations, with which I always had lots of fun.

On the other hand, I'm very passionate for Portuguese. Although I'm a native Portuguese speaker, it took me some time to "find myself in love with it". I admit I wasn't very good with it at school, but after I started studying it more, even my grades went up. When I think about it, I guess this is one of my big motivations to help people with Portuguese at the translation project. I mean, if I wasn't good with Portuguese for a very long time and nowadays I feel much more confident in my Portuguese writting, why wouldn't others be able to learn or brush it up too if they give the chance? I don't think the age issue (aka "I'm too old to learn a new language") is a problem. You can try learning and practicing anytime if you feel like it.

I apologize if it was a drag reading all this; I ended up writting more than I expected. I felt like sharing a bit about my experiences with English and Portuguese. I had a hard time writting this, so I guess I still have to practice more.

*and hey, if anyone feels like practicing Portuguese, feel free to contact me

Hi all, I'm a native English speaker who is currently in the process of trying to perfect my Spanish skills. I'd consider myself to be at around an advanced level but something I really wanna try to do is battle on PS! with people in Spanish. I found battles in the Spanish room but I immediately realized that I don't know how to say certain Pokemon-specific terms/phrases, like "switching out", "checks/counters", "misplay", "outpredicted", etc. Maybe these words don't have any direct translations in Spanish but I'm curious to know if anyone out there has a list / would be willing to make a list of common Pokemon terms translated into Spanish, or certain phrases/words that are commonly used in the context of Pokemon that don't have any direct translation into English. Didn't know where else to post this but figured here would be a good spot.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi all, I'm a native English speaker who is currently in the process of trying to perfect my Spanish skills. I'd consider myself to be at around an advanced level but something I really wanna try to do is battle on PS! with people in Spanish. I found battles in the Spanish room but I immediately realized that I don't know how to say certain Pokemon-specific terms/phrases, like "switching out", "checks/counters", "misplay", "outpredicted", etc. Maybe these words don't have any direct translations in Spanish but I'm curious to know if anyone out there has a list / would be willing to make a list of common Pokemon terms translated into Spanish, or certain phrases/words that are commonly used in the context of Pokemon that don't have any direct translation into English. Didn't know where else to post this but figured here would be a good spot.
Hola! :)
Well regarding those terms you mentioned, "switching out" is simply "retirando/sacando" like "yo estaba constantemente retirando/sacando a mi defogger" > "I was constantly switching out my defogger". "Check" and "Counter" can have a direct translation but since competitive players are already used to those terms, they use it just as is. "Misplay" you could translate it to "mala jugada" (if using it as a noun): "hice una mala jugada/jugué mal" > "I made a bad play/I misplayed". "Outpredicted" I personally don't recall the last time I saw a Spanish speaker using that specific term but, since it makes reference to predict better than the other player, guess you could say its "predecir mejor que [x]".

In general though, many of the terms used in Pokémon (most of them being competitive) don't have a direct translation or people don't bother translating it because they are used to the original term itself (or the translation of said word/expression would be longer than the original term). The translation of certain words/expressions can have a different meaning than the one intended, for example: "Sweep" which means "barrer", and "sweeper" being directly translated to "barrendero", would read quite weird for many Spanish speakers if you say "Scizor es un buen barrendero" > "Scizor is a good sweeper" so when you stick to the original word, most of them (if not all) will instantly understand what it means.

I could be wrong in this short explanation, but I'm mostly sure that's how it goes for those examples.

You mentioned you'd like to see a list of terms that don't have a direct translation, well, you can refer to this:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gramática-léxico-específico-para-las-traducciones.3646646/
It contains the lexicon we use at the Spanish translations project for both articles and analyses, some of the terms included there can have a direct translation, but we leave them as is for the sake of simplicity and to keep translations as consistent as possible.

I speak English, Spanish and Japanese

I'm working on learning Chinese right now, I know bits and pieces of probably a couple of dozen languages by this point.

I do student orientations and help teach English so if you want to ask anything I'd be happy to help.

I will never learn Swedish because its phonology is cursed, the fuck is sjuksköterska, no wonder the Kalmar union fell apart.

It's my personal dream to eventually learn all the major Sinospheric languages (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese) as well as a couple of other languages I'm interested in like Hebrew and Russian. I will also one day learn Dutch as it as a personal goal of mine to insult all the Dutch Smogoners in their native tongue.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Native Portuguese speaker here (not enough brs in this damn site hue), and I've studied English since I was 6. I joined Smogon when I was 16, so it helped me improve my English quite a lot. I also speak Spanish, Russian and French, and can somewhat read Italian, German, Modern Greek, Ukrainian and Serbo-croat. I knew Hebrew once but lack of practice made me barely understand the alphabet anymore. Maybe after I finish my phd I return to it. As for shit no one speaks anymore, because of my job (I'm a historian of Medieval Christianity and paganism) I have to read Old (Church) Slavonic, Latin and Byzantine Greek, though I'm not very confident atm on the latter two.

Happy to help with them all, and also looking forward learning Polish, Romanian and Mongol! If you know don't hesitate to ask!

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Native English speaker, really really wanting to relearn Spanish and learn Japanese though.

I do have an interesting question for you guys with jobs: how has being bi/tri/multilingual affected your chances of getting a job and synergizing with co-workers? Isthere a sweet spot for a number of languages learned?

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm learning Dutch. I was complacent while I was over in the Netherlands and didn't get quite as good at it as I would have liked but my reading and, to an extent, listening did vastly improve. 2016 Aurora would be proud. Nowadays I self-study with material I bought before leaving the country and try and communicate in Dutch a fair amount, whether it be on Discord, on Twitter, or by writing threads here about my printer. Maybe I'll give German a crack down the line, seeing as Dutch is probably closer to that word order- and vocabulary-wise than it is to English.

I did study French for two years at university, but I've in large part forgotten it.

Last edited:
Heyo (native French speaker),
I've always been interested in learning new languages, it must be said several members of my family / friends work in the field of the translation so it must have something to do with I guess. Over time my interest in language has not diminished and I can now speak english more or less fluently while also being able to discuss in german and a bit in russian as well.
Beside the fact it's always useful to know "many" languages for work it also helped me to get a better understanding of foreign culture as a whole.
I am now trying to get into Italian since I got plenty of of free time with quarantine :bloblul:

Solaros & Lunaris Well, I would say knowing like 3 or 4 languages is a good way to show you are a hard-worker and will definitely help you to get a job. In France but I guess it extands to all country if you want to get what people would call a "good job" a third language is often highly recommanded.
And if you like to travel abroad people will always be more helpful and kind if you know a bit their language.

i'm brazilian and i'm bilingual, my native language is portuguese, if you need a friend to create a conversation in both languages, you can talk to me! i would feel glad to help you and have this exchange.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am trillingual, being able to communicate in English and Spanish (along with my native language, which I refuse to reveal due to security concerns). My English level (per some online tests I have done, which focus mostly on vocabulary and grammar and less on punctuation) is somewhere between B2 and C1. My Spanish is mostly between B1 and B2.

If you want someone to communicate with through text, I am available. Just keep in mind that I'd rather not do voice calls, as I have difficulties with speaking to unfamiliar people (not exclusive to any language, I just have find it difficult talking without stuttering million times per word) and I am rarely alone where I live (I'd possibly go with a voice call if I were alone, as I don't really want people eavesdropping on my calls).

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Native French Speaker, grew up in a french speaking family but in an english city and neighbourhood, so i was able to pick up both from a fairly young age.

I kind of want to try to learn spanish, since i have family that lives in Costa Rica, I've picked up a small amount but not enough to warrant a full conversation.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Helo! Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?

I'm Welsh, though I haven't had much chance to speak the language in a long time; English is actually my second language which I had to pick up at a young age. I've been attempting to refresh myself on Welsh since it's a good skill to have here in the UK. It's a long shot, but if anyone prefers speaking Welsh, it'll probably do us both some good.

2021 edit;
So this post was kind of the tip of the iceberg since I was a bit half-hearted hahaha. Since I made this my Welsh has improved quite a bit, though unfortunately I haven't found any other speakers! The only Welsh person on here that I know of other than me is Jayi.

Anyway, a few other languages I know at least a bit of, in order of proficiency;

Ich spreche Deutsch, aber es ist nicht so gut...ich versuche es wieder zu lernen!
I learned some German back in high school and was probably one of the better speakers in my class, and I took it a mite bit further back then and still remember patches. I've been speaking to some German friends lately and I picked it back up to make a few more comfortable. One friend in particular has issues expressing points in English, which has motivated me a good bit. I feel like I could take this somewhere.

私は日本語を少し知っています。
I know a good chunk of Japanese Hiragana/Katakana from my time looking into Japanese fighting game scenes and should probably pick that up properly sometime. In the gaming sphere Japanese comes up a lot, so it would be cool to access more. There's nowhere near enough knowledge here to have a conversation, unfortunately, haha...the second you see your first wall of Kanji it's all downhill from there. I pretty much only use my knowledge here to transliterate names.

אני מדבר קצת עברית
I know a small bit of Hebrew; I started picking it up fairly recently to access resources but life got in the way. I think I should focus more on the languages I have already established myself in, though. Spreading myself thin only begets confusion.

Outside of that, the rest is just rudimentary "yes I know a few words" stuff, and my time on PS has definitely taught me a zillion slurs in like 30+ languages...

Last edited:
Hey! It's been great reading your guy's stories and I'm glad there are other language enthusiasts on here! I'm an aspiring polyglot (native English speaker, have been learning German for about 8 years).

I've been gone from Smogon for awhile but, now that I'm back, It'd be great to have a native German buddy on here to help refine my skills, so please message me if you are interested. :)

Also, I'm looking for suggestions on what language to learn next. German seemed like an obvious choice for me because I've always been interested in the culture and history of Germany, but I don't exactly have a preference when it comes to other languages and cultures. From what I've heard, Dutch is probably the easiest for English & German speakers to pick up (feel free to correct me on that) and I think it'd be neat to continue learning Germanic languages. However, in terms of practicality, Spanish & Mandarin seem more enticing. I've been mulling over this decision for far too long, so any input/advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Also, I'm looking for suggestions on what language to learn next. German seemed like an obvious choice for me because I've always been interested in the culture and history of Germany, but I don't exactly have a preference when it comes to other languages and cultures. From what I've heard, Dutch is probably the easiest for English & German speakers to pick up (feel free to correct me on that) and I think it'd be neat to continue learning Germanic languages. However, in terms of practicality, Spanish & Mandarin seem more enticing. I've been mulling over this decision for far too long, so any input/advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
Thanks for sharing! Regarding your choice of a third language, I would personally recommend learning a language that attracts you over learning a "default" language just for job opportunities; it's like for everything, it's always easier to do something that you want to do, than to do something that you have to do. After all, if you're able to say on a résumé that you master German, that will already help set you apart, so if you add a third language to that, no matter which one it is, it'll give you even more "professional value".

I've never studied Dutch myself but I've heard that it's very close to German, albeit a bit harder. The scandinavian languages are also halfway between English and German, but much simpler than the latter, so if you're familiar with the grammar and vocabulary of English/German, a language like Swedish should be a piece of cake for you. I would say that it depends on the amount of time you can invest for your third language: if you're still studying German and can only give a few minutes a day to another language, then I'd recommend an "easy" one; while if you have more time to adapt to Dutch, then you could try that.

Regarding learning a "useful" language for jobs, I'd say that it's even harder than learning Dutch or a scandinavian language, since the most widely spread ones (Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Russian, Japanese...) all pertain to language families that are different from the germanic family, which contains English and German to which you're already used. So it will be even harder since you'll have to adapt to at least new vocabulary in the other indo-european languages, and even to totally different grammar rules in languages from other groups such as Arabic or Chinese (on top of there being a brand new alphabet). If you still choose to go this way, then I'd recommend Spanish since it's the most widely-spread romance language, and knowing it can give you the keys to understanding Portuguese and learning French and/or Italian in the future, if that's something you'd like. Hope this can help you make a choice!

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Regarding learning a "useful" language for jobs, I'd say that it's even harder than learning Dutch or a scandinavian language, since the most widely spread ones (Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Russian, Japanese...) all pertain to language families that are different from the germanic family, which contains English and German to which you're already used. So it will be even harder since you'll have to adapt to at least new vocabulary in the other indo-european languages, and even to totally different grammar rules in languages from other groups such as Arabic or Chinese (on top of there being a brand new alphabet). If you still choose to go this way, then I'd recommend Spanish since it's the most widely-spread romance language, and knowing it can give you the keys to understanding Portuguese and learning French and/or Italian in the future, if that's something you'd like. Hope this can help you make a choice!
I've studied Spanish and Swedish and I don't think one was really intrinsically harder. I prefer Swedish but only because I find the language itself more interesting. (Although that could be because there are more resources for Spanish which balance out its differences from the Germanic languages.)

However, in terms of practicality, Spanish & Mandarin seem more enticing. I've been mulling over this decision for far too long, so any input/advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
So it will be even harder since you'll have to adapt to at least new vocabulary in the other indo-european languages, and even to totally different grammar rules in languages from other groups such as Arabic or Chinese (on top of there being a brand new alphabet). If you still choose to go this way, then I'd recommend Spanish since it's the most widely-spread romance language, and knowing it can give you the keys to understanding Portuguese and learning French and/or Italian in the future, if that's something you'd like.
Highlighting the "indo-european" part because I feel it is important to note that despite differences with varying degrees of superficiality Germanic and Romance languages do share a common ancestry and therefore several grammatical features.

A relevant part of English vocabulary has also been influenced by Romance sources so it should not feel totally unfamiliar. The most difficult parts, I think, are the much more complex / verbose verb conjugation and noun declension and the very different pronunciation rules, especially with regards to syllable structure and the handling of vowels.

Romance languages (at least, the most widespread ones) are still related closely enough to share most grammatical features and large parts of their vocabularies, so starting with one would be a definite help in gaining at least a basic understanding of the others. This gets easier as by simply reading a text in a Romance language it is possible to identify patterns in how similar words are formed.

For example:
- French: château
- Spanish: castillo
- Italian: castello
All of these mean "castle", so in this case even English shares the same root.

From this simple comparison, at least two (definitely non-universal but interesting) rules can be inferred:
- a circumflex accent (^) over a vowel in French can mean said vowel is followed by S in other languages (note: diacritics in general tend to be important even if English lacks them)
- the -eau suffix in French can mean the equivalent words in other languages contains a -LL- (other example: French "beau" / Italian "bello" / English "beautiful")

As for my personal experience, I speak native Italian and studied some Spanish, but these similarities and some ability in pattern recognition allow me to have at least a vague understanding of written French. While writing this post, as a quick test I had a look at the Portuguese Wikipedia home page and even that ended up being somewhat understandable (e.g. the "-ção" suffix seems to be equivalent to Italian "-zione" and English "-ction").

As a more general note, for anyone interesting in learning how to read out loud and speak languages I heavily recommend learning the International Phonetic Alphabet, which aims to be an unambiguous way to transcribe any language without being concerned with its native orthography.

Some great advice :blobthumbsup: I’m happy to report back I’ve decided to take the leap and start learning Swedish. Putting aside the notions of “practicality” allowed me to see what language I really want to learn, so thank you, Lionyx. Not sure how dedicated I can be right now, but it feels good to have officially started a third language. Thanks guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)