Metagame SWSH Gen8 PU Speculation Thread

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Big dump of moves from Pokemon HOME data and now we have actual data of some returning mons and all the TRs/TMs they get (which I speculated on earlier in the thread. So now I'm going to go through all the possible viable old mons and what new moves they get. If mons are confirmed returning, I'll put a * by their name in the list, but also if you don't want to see spoilers for returning mons, don't look obviously.

Only listing viable mons and only if they got at least somewhat-viable move additions.

I probably won't catch everything but it's a good start.
:raticate: Close Combat, Psychic Fangs
:raticate-alola: Beat Up, Body Slam, Close Combat, Psychic Fangs
:fearow: Brave Bird
:sandslash::sandslash-alola: Spikes, Agility
:wigglytuff: Self-Destruct, Draining Kiss
*:golduck: does NOT get NP or Aura Sphere :blobsad:
:poliwrath: Drain Punch, Superpower, Muddy Water, Close Combat, Darkest Lariat, Liquidation
:golem-alola: Body Slam
:hypno: Self-Destruct, Draining Kiss
:scyther: Acrobatics, Cross Poison, Psycho Cut
:jynx: Future Sight, Stored Power
:pinsir: High Horsepower
:kabutops: Rock Blast, Psycho Cut, Cross Poison, Razor Shell
*:articuno: Weather Ball, Icicle Spear, Brave Bird

:miltank: Body Press

:mightyena: Nasty Plot, Psychic Fangs
:hariyama: Heat Crash
:aggron: Rock Blast, Body Press
:grumpig: Nasty Plot
:spinda: Superpower (legal with Rapid Spin)
:seviper: Power Whip
:cradily: Rock Blast, Power Whip
:absol: Close Combat
*:walrein: Swords Dance, Icicle Spear, Hydro Pump, Heavy Slam, Liquidation, Body Press
:relicanth: Rock Blast, Liquidation, Body Press
*:regirock: Rock Blast, Body Press (RIP PU Regirock, this is gone)

:luxray: Play Rough, Psychic Fangs, Agility
:lopunny: Play Rough, Close Combat, Acrobatics, U-turn, Reversal
:spiritomb: Hex, Phantom Force
:lickilicky: Hydro Pump, Body Press
*:electivire: Weather Ball, Darkest Lariat
:probopass: Future Sight, Heavy Slam, Body Press
*:mesprit: Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Encore, Nasty Plot, Stored Power, Play Rough (we lose this thing for sure now)
:regigigas: Protect, Rest, Darkest Lariat, Heat Crash, Body Press (this can actually be a threat with Protect and Rest)

:audino: Body Slam
:lilligant: Pollen Puff
:carracosta: Rock Blast, Razor Shell
:emolga: Energy Ball
*:cryogonal: Self-Destruct
:bouffalant: Body Slam, Close Combat

*:aurorus: Weather Ball, Rock Blast, Icicle Spear, Body Slam
:carbink: Charm, Body Press
*:lycanroc::lycanroc-midnight: Play Rough, Rock Blast, Close Combat, Psychic Fangs
:lurantis: Bullet Seed, Psycho Cut, Cross Poison
:guzzlord: Body Slam, Heat Crash, Body Press

Sorry it took a while to make this, if I missed something relevant let me know.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
We now have access to stats from the first 12 days of NU! This means that we can make a more accurate version of spec PU!...or that is what I would say if Home did not drop randomly. So with Home dropping, I expect the PU metagame to be hit with a lot of changes in the coming months, so this metagame should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, here are the changes:

Loses:
-Qwilfish
-Rotom Fan
-Crustle
-Lanturn

Gains:
+Beartic
+Clefairy
+Eiscue
+Grapploct
+Linoone-Galar
+Musharna
+Silvally-Dragon
+Ludicolo

A net gain is always good! These changes will be reflected in the list, which is also now in the OP of this thread. I do not expect this list to change, as any changes that Home may provide will be reflected when we actually get PU in a couple weeks. Fun fact: Dubwool missed the cutoff by less than a tenth of a percent. Another fun fact: Sneasel only got 2.68% usage.

Have fun!

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Does anyone want to throw down on a pu release tournament? I'll go as high as $200

I will fancy up tomorrow based on work.

Machoke is a great way to cover a lot of wall breakers and with Gourgeist it and You play a mean 50/50 vs Carkol to spin or toxic. But You need a volt turn check so bad it hurts if You aren't running some seriously bulky mons or things that You can double in on, stone J beats boots if You're adamant scarf

Stonjourner @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Power Spot
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Heat Crash
- Self-Destruct

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Toxic

Lunatone @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 156 SpD / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot

cool rotom fan check that can really not let something in

Dubwool has max of 348 HP, ninjask can ram into it with final gambit for 326, nice blanket check, I understand why it's gimmicky, but it can never fail one to play the remove this mon, I cover many possible bad match-ups like to rain, hail, TR's lead, it shouldn't be underestimated

Does anyone want to throw down on a pu release tournament? I'll go as high as $200

Generation 8 Speculation Meta Observations
1581775527044.png
Grapploct:
Grapploct @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Brutal Swing
- Substitute

This mon is top tier right now and I don't think people truly understand what it's supposed to do. Grapploct works essentially like gen 7 gurdurr without priority mach but with the ability to actually threaten common psychics.
252+ Atk Technician Grapploct Brutal Swing vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 162-192 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Technician Grapploct Brutal Swing vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Duosion: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO

Now, I say threaten. It's not going to outright beat Musharna without popping colbur but it has the ability to 3hko with brutal swing, meaning any chip you're getting on musharna throughout the game will allow you to predict it entering, get your brutal swings off and kill it. Duosion is one in the same, meaning you're just going make a good prediction on entry and now you're threatening death.

The mon is really good. Most of the spec tier are physical attackers and bulk up+sub+drain can guarantee kills + recovery if you can manage a BU into sub on stunfisk, leafeon, sneasel, Basculin, linoone-galar, ect. I would make the argument that Grapp actually keeps mons like sneasel from being too much for the tier and it's actually a fantastic addition for the health of PU.

I'd say using it over throh is situational. Throh is a better guts wallbreaker but Grapp is a much better setup sweeper and Drain Punch gives it a lot of longevity that bulky throh sets don't have. Throh can break clefairy while grapp cannot. Grapp can break (kinda) musharna while throh cannot. Both can break duosion now with the introduction to knock for throh..

1581776883092.png
Musharna:
Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Now that we have an a fully evolved bulky psychic, Duosion will face a lot more adversity. Mush is generally better in my opinion. It not minding knock off is huge for its staying power and the tier doesn't have too many mons that are comfortable switching into psychic+moonblast. The only mon off the top of my head that straight up counters mush is klang but klang is super bad (pls don't use it).

Musharna will inevitably suffer from "Musharna syndrome" as I've so aptly named it. People will think it's broken until we discover it's uturn fodder and from there we'll accept it for what it is, a great mon. Not much more to say here.

1581777280722.png
Leafeon:
Leafeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off/ Toxic/ Substitute
- Synthesis

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Toxic

Leafeon is high key S rank right now. It's capable of breaking almost anything depending on the coverage you're running. Mawile doesn't really check it all that well anymore. I think this may be due to the lack of omnipresent monferno as seen in ORAS. Def Mawile has other things it needs to do and less mons that it can freely come in on to do them (Setting rocks vs Stout/Dodrio in years past). Gourgeist-Super is back and is now a viable answer to this but I'm afraid it's very playstyle specific so you can't really just throw it on any team and expect success. Shiinotic and silvally dragon are two of the best leafeon checks as shiinotic outright wins and silvally dragon can be used as a bulky pivot for leaf on balance. (More on Shiin soon)

Leafeon hits a speed tier that rivals the silvallys and access to SD on stunfisk makes it literally always a threat. At any point this could come in and threaten to punch a hole in your squad if you're running stunfisk or not willing to sack stonejourner (Stunfisk Yawn mind games can be mitigated by sub). Not to mention that access to synthesis allows it to NEVER DIE. The mon is one of the best of the best right now and I think we'll figure out ways to check it (LO Ice Beam Basculin) but right now it's disgustingly potent.

1581777803075.png
Basculin:
Basculin @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Liquidation
- Ice Beam
- Head Smash
- Aqua Jet

This mon hits just the right speed tier to be absolutely essential in revenge killing. There really aren't that many mons that wants to come in on it (experimenting with Palpitoad right now, looking kinda alright tbh). Shiinotic, Duosion (kinda), Musharna, Gourgeist-Super, Bellossom come to mind but for a mon that hits this speed tier, it does a ton of damage as well. Losing qwil was a godsend for this and now I think people will start to realize how much it can do. I'd say it's the best water we have right now and it can immediately threaten most teams. I think running a slow uturner/parting shot vally with it can do a lot of good for it as the one major problem it has is finding opportunities to get in without you having to sack.

1581787478133.png
Swoobat:
Swoobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
This mon is incredibly potent. You simply need 1 setup opportunity to nasty plot and you get to rain unchecked death on every mon in the meta. Sneasel checks it, scarf leaf comes in, ninjask (maybe) nothing else wants this smoke. I could see this being busted as hell in the future if we don't adapt because base 114 is a speed tier not many teams even hit. Heavy boots and max hp usually allow it to take 1 hit from an uninvested wall or glue mon and then it punishes balance as nothing really stops it outside of sucker punch mons like Heatmor (the god). My last three games that I've brought this thing, it's finished off with 2-4 mon Nasty Plot sweeps. More people need to use it so we can get the idea that it's nuts and make the necessary adaptations (More Mawiles, Liepards, Pawniard?, ect.).

1581789467596.png
Shiinotic:
Shiinotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Strength Sap
Shiinotic is actually pretty good this time around. I'd argue that it definitely has a place in the meta as one of the only mons that can check throh, grapp, leafeon, basculin, silvally dragon. It manages to be a wall but not an extremely passive one at that. Spore and strength sap give it the ability to spread status and gimp phys attackers that would otherwise SD and threaten it. It reminds me a lot of DPP Bellossom as it can fit on offensive builds as a wall but it isn't sucking momentum away and getting easily countered like gourgeist vs something like clefairy. Definitely try this mon out. I think you'll notice it's very good role compression.

Last edited:

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was too broken for NDUbers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1581817440629.png

Stonjourner has been compared to last gen's Regirock as a bulky Rock-type Stealth Rock setter, with niches like higher Speed than it. However, I think that it really shines as an offensive Pokemon, with its high Attack, said decent Speed, and great coverage. Because of this, I took a look at Stonjourner as a wallbreaker, one that could achieve similar to last gen's Aggron or even Stoutland. It can even stallbreak with some predictions, as you'll see in the calcs. As for the set...

Legs (Stonjourner) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Heat Crash
- Superpower
- Self-Destruct / Heavy Slam / Earthquake

Power Spot is your only ability, while the spread is pretty regular for an offensive set like this, hitting as hard and fast as you can.

Stone Edge is your main STAB, and therefore spamming tool. It does a bunch to various bulky mons like Pyukumuku and Silvally despite being neutrally effective. It also has the higher chance to crit, giving you some way of dealing with Acid Armor Duosion and Cotton Guard Dubwool trying to stall you.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Duosion: 368-434 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 204-242 (64.9 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Pyukumuku: 270-320 (85.9 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Carkol: 351-416 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Silvally-Water: 253-300 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dubwool: 341-402 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 263-309 (89.4 - 105.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Heat Crash is your best coverage option, being able to hit Steel and Grass mons like Bronzor and Leafeon for super effective damage while also doing more to Rock-resists such as FIghting-types like Throh and Grappaloct. Furthermore, it can pick up some 2HKOes that are otherwise risky for Stone Edge, such as Musharna.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Bronzor: 289-341 (90.8 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 341-403 (91.1 - 107.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grapploct: 296-350 (81.3 - 96.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 291-343 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 218-257 (50 - 58.9%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk-Galar: 395-465 (93.6 - 110.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Throh: 208-246 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 432-510 (159.4 - 188.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Machoke: 164-194 (45 - 53.2%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO

Superpower is your second coverage option, being able to neutrally hit mons that resist the former two moves, such as Vibrava and Palpitoad. It also does more than Stone Edge to mons like opposing Stonjourner and Type: Null.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vibrava: 490-578 (161.1 - 190.1%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Type: Null: 380-447 (96.4 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Type: Null: 270-320 (68.5 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Palpitoad: 312-369 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stonjourner: 317-374 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

For the last slot, there are various options, with the first one being Self-Destruct. This does more than STAB Stone Edge, and can be good against setting up opponents. It even does more neutral damage than the other coverage moves to Pokemon like Machoke and Grappaloct. It's also nice for momentum.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Self-Destruct vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Duosion: 246-290 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 361-426 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Machoke: 272-321 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Self-Destruct vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Grapploct: 330-389 (90.6 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Self-Destruct vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Throh: 346-408 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The second option is Heavy Slam, which is just there to hit specific bulky mons without setbacks of other moves, such as Superpower's stat drops against Vibrava and the potential Stone Edge miss on Clefairy.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 400-473 (116.2 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vibrava: 196-231 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 291-343 (75.7 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Finally, Earthquake is there for a similar reason Primeape ran it last gen, a safe, neutral coverage option. While it is weaker, it doesn't have the low accuracy of Stone Edge, the weight dependence of Heat Crash and Heavy Slam, the stat drops of Superpower, or the death of Self-Destruct. It also achieves the nice Rock+Ground coverage option.
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pincurchin: 338-400 (112.6 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stonjourner: 265-315 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stonjourner Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palpitoad: 234-276 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other Options:
  • Jolly can be used to outspeed mons like Modest Ludicolo and Timid Glaceon, but it misses out on a lot of the KOes you saw above.
  • You could also give up the Speed for a bulkier set, in which there's probably some spread to take specific hits. I dunno, never bothered. Not to mention it's already gonna be tanking physical hits and dying to special hits either way.
  • Rock Slide can be a fourth slot option as a safer STAB option if you don't want to miss Stone Edge in certain situations, but it still does less than the other moves in most situations despite the STAB boost.
  • Body Press can be used over Superpower with the benefit of not having the Attack and Defense drops, but still does less damage over the spam of two turns. And yes, it is Choice Band boosted, at least according to the PS Calculator.
  • Facade can help watch out for those pesky status conditions that could cripple it otherwise, but can be situational, outside of which it is just a waste of a slot.
  • Body Slam. Parahax! Ez.

Overall, I find Stonjourner to be a very fun mon to use, especially alongside Spikes and Healing Wish from mons like Roselia and Mr. Mime, respectively. While it does require more prediction than, say, the previously mentioned Stoutland, I still think it'll have a similar impact in that it'll need to be prepared for intentionally rather than naturally. While its Special Defense is worse than a word I can come up with and it's not the fastest mon, I feel that the good overpowers the bad. This is a mon that can hit hard, tank physical hits, stallbreak (on paper), supply great coverage, and gain momentum if need be. Not to mention, look at dem legs...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I think Silvally as a mon is completely broken
I think there are a lot of amazing, brutal win cons that can be built around and checked by a number of means. Silvallys, dubwool, dusision, swoobat, pawniard, fish offense, modest raichu on paper is another great win con.

It's a really aggro shut out and down meta where You really can't just be mindlessly clicking buttons

Just a few thoughts on ranking

S-
swoobat/dubwool can eat Your whole team with one turn, while they aren't special about it, they are really hard to check and their checks and counters are a lot of what's making up the meta if not trying to build around losing to them in general

A+
Silvally dragon is a monster able to pick it's matchups and should always have a pivot move+ flamethrower/surf to avoid contact nonsense

A
Shiinotic/mawile they are the best knock off switch ins and can straight up create ugly situations with utility and coverage and they are a great start to a defensive core

Ninjask is a threat to nearly every single top tier win con and sub won't save You from it, very splashable and is very potent

A-
Stunfisk has the bulk to do its job and be the best ground type in the tier besides maybe Silvally ground, realible check time and time again, probably the best rocker with mawile

Stone J is a great scarfer to rock blast subs and life orb 4 attacks might be the set to use. I'd rank higher but I just don't see it enough or people want to click rocks and trade kos for chip, if You want hazards up a mon that doesn't 2 hit ko everything would be a more sensible pick if You always want them

gourgeist is a solid wall as normal

B+
Heatmor is more of a wild card than Silvally(team preview+it's type gives away most of the set), mix, curse, boots, scarf are all great and fire is still a great defensive type

Carkol- best spinner and is often a positive trade, but it's to easy to lure in and boop with a lure move and then set up hazards again where You honestly rather have just had a heavy boots mon as an offensive hazard check. Has done a lot but I've never ran into without coming out on top from how I build

B

Machoke, is a glorious offensive pivot and really doesn't mind being statuses by shiinotic on a misplay or quaking mawile, it's bulk will surprise You, but really doesn't beat everything it really needs too with bullet punch like sneasel and swoobat and bulky faster mons with cc like dubwool, Silvally, sub seed groud, or anything that can resist it's stab. You won't regret using it to beat dark types, Stone J and t-spike teams

Charjabug is an interesting pick, electric bug is a really good type with 57/95/75 defenses it's really bulky pivot that sets webs and can use annoying options like screech, light screen, toxic, and t wave. While it is completely walled by stunfisk between screech/light screens who ever pivots in shouldn't be in to bad of a situation and have yet to be but when my dubwool counter was already gone, top notch web setter who can do it more than once, obviously loses to taunt and mindless breakers.

B-
Trapinch, people have watched me use it and think it's completely busted, I really wanted to put it lower in truth, banded first impression is the most dangerous thing about this mon firand really that's only busted vs rain otherwise I can't believe You'd lose to something with base 10 speed, even scarfed it can't hit any good benchmarks and has to speed creep stunfisk and jolly is still slower than univested Carkol and it runs into a lot of problems with having to be switched out, life orb makes You lose to things with recovery and it doesn't trap any of the major win cons and is honestly just an enabler of webs, TR, other cheese like iron ball trick. It's not really good enough to enable anything broken either.

It does however KO leafeon after rocks on a roll, but there are a lot of outs from leafeon, it's basically a mon that can take Silvally's job to let it do something else and just a few points out of attack, sub, or protect will let You not have to worry about trap right away.

Also trap doesn't stealth rocks or stone edge, it's movepool is just enough to break, no neat techs

If You don't have Z-vally on Your team it's wack, only type of team I can believe going without is stall or niche win cons.

But a few mons and concepts are stupid broken

The current meta is little the lilligant meta where yeah it was super restrictive, but a variety of alike tactics flourished into a more player vs player meta

Proactively vote No Ban to all suspect tests even tho literally SD Z-vally dragon+ Trapinch looks like a completely unbeatable win con with smart plays

There's no mindless wandering into bricks in this meta You lose a whole team to dubwool, swoobat, Silvally, and everything else is just bait for them to feast or their hard counters to feast. We are 2 hard layers deep into the meta and they're solid floor.

Last edited:
Bulky Bellossom Offense
https://pokepast.es/6dc1c7b04d917205
1581875328160.png
1581875339605.png
1581875351584.png
1581875361496.png
1581875384516.png
1581875395086.png

I figured I'd post a sample team for anyone looking through this thread and trying to get into the meta. The inspiration here was building a team that had multiple wincons with a diverse speed tier selection, all while fitting a bulky offense playstyle. I got sick of building stunfisk everything and I wanted an all inclusive mon that fit the role as my leafeon check and electric resist as Raichu is particularly scary, so I chose Bellossom. Bell's speed investment is to outspeed manectric at +2. I then wanted an offensive water that outspeeds a majority of the meta and gave me suitable priority to pick off random scarfers. I chose AoA mixed Basculin because it puts a lot of pressure on opposing builds and can lure out leafeons for a free kill with Ice Beam. Sneasel was then chosen as the meta began to shift toward Swoobat as a sweeper. Sneasel is a no cost mon and the speed tier and cleaning potential is unparalleled so it fit perfectly into the offensive build moving forward. Throh was chosen as a pseudo dubwool check and generalized tank. Storm throh bypasses cotton guard and throhs bulk allows it to function as a single mon that can take almost any hit and revenge whatever the threat is. This is really important on teams like this as you can't check everything (heatmor in my case). Musharna is my fighting resist. Can force sneasel into uncomfortable spots where it has to revenge it and mush can kill with moonblast after rocks. Mawile provides yet another leafeon check with play rough for fightings, knock for eviolite walls that would give Bellossom problems late game and toxic for SD leafeon that just won't die.

That's essentially the team. Heatmor is a bit of a problem but there are work arounds with the mons available. It's a very consistent and competitive team that always has a way out of bad spots. I also wanted to show you guys that you can build successfully without a silvally. Hoping it can get some new people playing spec meta. Enjoy!

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 60 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Substitute

I've been trying out this bulkier Leafeon spread that pretty much always takes a hit from Mawile and i think it's kinda cool to be able to do just set up on it as well as other status moves) so take it before they all start running Seismic Toss. It also has a decent shot at taking Liquidation + Ice Beam from 4 SpA Basculin on the switch (no hazards) which is good
0 Atk Mawile Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Leafeon: 67-81 (20.9 - 25.3%) Possible damage amounts: (67, 69, 69, 70, 72, 72, 73, 73, 75, 75, 76, 76, 78, 78, 79, 81)

I don't have much to add given i played about 10 games max but i have some hot takes to look and laugh at in a few weeks:
-not running sneasel or silvally seems kinda insane given how strong they are and the sheer amount of things they check offensively
-Basculin seems a bit overrated outside of offense given there is a lot of tanky things that 1v1 it and it feels sad
-Eviolite reliant mons (those that use it to be a wall and not on bulky attacking sets) are crippled a bit too easily by the likes of Leafeon, Sneasel, Mawile (which seems to be the best rocker bar none)
-in general it's pretty fun all things considered, kind of a throwback to oras given no z moves or other weird gimmicks

Here are 4 pokemon that have been really cool in the PU speculation and have chance at getting ranked high in the VR b4 the DLC.

1. :raichu:
This thing is a fast volt turner, completely reliable, and scary with Nasty Plot. The addition of ludicolo into PU gives makes this thing better, for it now can fire off NP boosted thunders and surfs in the rain. To emphasise on how powerful this is here is a calc on the second biggest threat in the meta. (First obviously being dubwool)

+2 252 SpA Raichu Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Musharna: 292-345 (67.1 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

plus its way too ez to set up with raichu because of its speed, and ludicolo almost always gets a free turn to set up weather. Furthermore, Raichu's ability to be an amazing momentum setter can be really nice, and with predictions this thing can give almost any pokemon on a team the ability to sweep. I don't have the replay but volt switching out on the opponent's switch into Charjabug gave me the ability for me to set up with Throh, and we all know that Throh takes no brain cells to use.

2. :hakamo-o:
Hakamo-o is one of the most enticing NFE add-ons to this generation's PU. It's great defensive stats, fairly decent speed stat, and ability to bulk up make it a nuisance to go against. It walls every single physical attacker that doesn't get play rough, and gets a decent recovery option through Drain Punch. Its access to Toxic makes it even more annoying to go against. Its fairly good coverage should also be mentioned.

However, it can actually run a stall type set, with Iron Defense, Protect, Toxic, and and attack of choice. This set will probably be used a lot by teams that need a fair bit of reliable defense. It has a lot of resistances - albeit a few weaknesses - which make it good defensively.

3. :Silvally-Water:(Water)
I know people have talked bout this thing already, but it is just so good! Not only does it tank Sneasel's Choice Banded hits, as shown in this battle here - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1065050402 (This also showcases Hakamo-o, and as you can see bulk up means corphish needs to ddance 3 times to be sure he would kill Hakamo-o, which is hilarious), but it also is a reliable defogger and a hard hitting beast. It kills 3 pokemon at the end without even trying, and paired with something with a typing like Hakamo-o gives it nice team synergy and ability to ensure safe switches.

4. :charjabug:
This is the big one. Not only does it hard-counter Sneasel:
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Charjabug: 105-124 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Charjabug: 93-109 (29.2 - 34.2%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Charjabug: 136-162 (42.7 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
(No eviolite)
0 Atk Charjabug X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasel: 236-282 (94 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

This thing is the best webber in the meta. The only other pokemon that is even viable is Dottler, which is weak to Knock Off, which is probably on 2 pokemon on every team because of the number of NFEs that are viable this generation. Charjabug also has really nice defensive stats - 95/75 on Def/SpDef respectively. Not to mention that I have been wrecked by Charjabug stall with Rest-talk. PU lacks the outright power to beat this thing. Yes, even with SD Silvally, for I have gone against Morgrem + Charjabug, meaning that even at +4, Silvally Poison doesn't even 2HKO.

+4 252 Atk Silvally-Poison Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Charjabug through Reflect: 117-138 (36.7 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Luckily for me, reflect ended that turn, and Charjabug was the only mon left on his side of the field.

Sorry about the wall of text, but hopefully you enjoyed reading this

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was too broken for NDUbers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I know I just made a post here but I'm bored so frik you.

Psychic-types! There seems to be at least a couple good ones in every PU meta, whether it be DPP's Xatu and Kadabra, ORAS's Beheeyem and Grumpig, or USUM's Musharna and Alolan Raichu. Well this meta is no exception. There are actually more than even I expected, filling up teambuilder with exports of sets I've used or that seem good on paper.

:Duosion:Duosion
Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock / Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball / Acid Armor
- Recover
You all knew this was coming. While this mon again gets a lot of competition, specifically from Musharna, it's still is a beast. Now mons like Vespiquen and Mareanie are running around with Toxic Spikes, which Duosion is immune to. The same goes for Spikes and Stealth Rock, especially with this tier not having the best hazard removal outside of Silvally. While Knock Off is rising in usage after the release of Pokemon Home, so is Toxic, giving Duosion another niche over Musharna. I run Shadow Ball at the moment so you can do something to opposing Psychic-types since Signal Beam isn't in the game anymore. It also does something to Dark-types thanks to Duosion's naturally high Special Attack. Just a solid setup mon that's hard to wear down thanks to Magic Guard+Recover, and sometimes to take it down you'll just have to pray for a crit.

:Swoobat:Swoobat
Swoobat @ Colbur Berry / Salac Berry / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power / Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Giga Drain / Air Slash
This mon is commonly agreed on to be a top-tier threat. Many even debate that it's broken. It's faster than the majority of the unboosted metagame, and gets pretty powerful after its Simple-boosted Nasty Plot. Colbur Berry lets it survive a Life Orb Sneasel's Knock Off or take Sucker Punches better. It can also run Salac Berry for Speed or Heavy-Duty Boots because frik Stealth Rock. Substitute can be played around with to avoid otherwise KOes and eventually triggers the Salac Berry, but Giga Drain and Air Slash can also be used to hit some other mons harder.

:Musharna:Musharna
Musharna @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic / Healing Wish
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Moonlight / Healing Wish

Musharna @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
Musharna is pretty much doing the same thing as it did last gen. It can take on Fighting-types pretty well, especially with the Colbur Berry. It just threatens mons with upcoming Future Sights or sets up Calm Minds. It is notable that Musharna doesn't get Barrier anymore. However, it did get Moonblast this gen, which is slightly more powerful than Dazzling Gleam. Either way, I'm more of a Duosion fan.

:Beheeyem:Beheeyem
Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
Beheeyem is slightly outclassed as a setup mon by a lot of other Psychic-type mons including the ones above and the one below. It does have a couple niches though, with a big one being its high Special Attack alongside Analytic. This makes it very powerful without boosts, and even more so when considering Nasty Plot or Choice Specs. I put enough Speed on the Choice Specs set to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed mons. It's also the best option for a self-setting Trick Room mon, thanks to Nasty Plot boosting its Special Attack quicker and its already low Speed. It also gets some nice support moves like Trick and Recover, albeit Recover sets are the ones that are outclassed so I didn't add any.

:Mr. Mime:Mr.Mime
Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Trick
- Healing Wish / Trick

Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Trick
- Healing Wish / Trick

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
This is a very versatile mon. It can be used at speed control with Choice Scarf, a wallbreaker with Choice Specs or Nasty Plot, or a sweeper with Nasty Plot. This mon has a nice STAB combo of Psychic/Psyshock and Dazzling Gleam (still doesn't have Moonblast RIP), good coverage between Focus Blast and Shadow Ball, and solid support moves with Healing Wish and Trick. It also gets Teleport which now switches it out so its Choice sets could use that in their last slot, but I'm not sure if its worth it. Filter is a cool ability to better take hits, although you could run Soundproof if you really hate Hyper Voice Noctowl.

:Meowstic-M:Meowstic-M
Meowstic (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunder Wave / Yawn
- Light Screen
- Reflect
Another mon that does the same thing as last gen, and its debut in the gen before that. It sets up screens and spreads status conditions with Thunder Wave or Yawn in order to help its teammates set up. It does get competition from Morgrem this gen though.

:Meowstic-F:Meowstic-F
Meowstic-F (F) @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
Well we lost Primeape, and don't have the best options for Rapid Spinners so a lot of teams run Defog. In comes Meowstic-F's ability: Competitive. You don't have to run Nasty Plot in the last slot if you are mainly using Meowstic-F for its ability, but it's still a nice option to have on the go. Other than that this mon is pretty outclassed by mons like Swoobat, so I'd only really run it on a Sticky Web team. There's also Pawniard with Defiant, so it depends on what type your team needs.

:Silvally:Silvally-Psychic
Silvally-Psychic @ Psychic Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
- Parting Shot / U-turn

Silvally-Psychic @ Psychic Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- Parting Shot / U-turn
- Defog
Nothing to see here, just a another Silvally. It remains to have that powerful base 120 STAB Multi-Attack, and has two options to go alongside it. Swords Dance and Flame Charge can help it wallbreak or sweep while still having use throughout the battle thanks to Parting Shot or U-turn. It can also go defensive if you need a Defogger with a typing along those lines. Flamethrower is just there for stuff like Mawile and Stunfisk. This is the spread I use on most defensive SIlvallys, max HP, enough Speed to creep neutral nature base 70 Speed mons like Ludicolo, and the rest in Defense/Special Defense. It can also run Defog offensively, but I prefer the bulk to better check Fighting-types and such.

:Bronzor:Bronzor
Bronzor @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Rest
- Stealth Rock / Sleep Talk
This mon is the bane of my existence competitively. It's one reason I didn't pick up ZU, with it alongside Mareanie running all over the place. Lets hope that doesn't become a thing this gen. As for the set, I don't have any specific calcs, so I just stuck max HP and Defense on it, although you could probably also go a more Specially Defensive route. The one calc I did find was that max HP and no Special Defense investment Bronzor can live a Fire Blast from a Life Orb Heatmor. Crazy. While Bronzor regained Toxic with Pokemon Home, Psywave is gone this gen, and Bronzor doesn't get Night Shade or Seismic Toss. Because of that I just stuck Psychic on there as its attacking move, if it even needs one at this point. If you don't need Stealth Rock on your team and still feel you need Bronzor's typing, you can go Sleep Talk for a nice Resttalk set.

:Hattrem:Hattrem
Hattrem (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Mystical Fire / Aromatherapy
- Nuzzle
- Healing Wish / Aromatherapy
It's been debated whether this mon or Natu is better as a Magic Bounce mon, with both having their niche. This mon is more bulky, and has access to good support moves like Healing Wish and Aromatherapy. It also gets solid coverage with Mystical Fire, which is nice with its also higher Special Attack than Natu.

:Natu:Natu
Natu @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- U-turn
- Roost
And then there's Natu. While it isn't as bulky as Hattrem, Natu gets various move options that the former does not. This includes Toxic, a set-damage attack with Night Shade, a pivot move with U-turn, and recovery with Roost. The secondary typing is debatable as to whether it helps or weakens Natu.

:Solrock:Solrock
Solrock @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun

Solrock @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Solrock @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Explosion

Solrock @ Damp Rock / Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance / Sunny Day
- Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
Solrock is gonna have a lot of competition with Stonjourner as a bulky Rock-type Stealth Rock setter, but it has its uses. It has its secondary typing, reliable recovery with Morning Sun, Will-O-Wisp, a useful ability, and higher Special Defense. Although that last one isn't saying much with Stonjourner's special bulk. I'd say Solrock will be run more defensively, since I've seen more offensive Stonjourners than defensive. But speaking of offense, there's double dance with Swords Dance+Rock Polish. Choice Band is another set that I'd probably go to Stonjourner for, but the previously mentioned secondary typing and ability gives it a niche. Finally, with Mesprit not existing yet this gen (and likely not coming to PU even when it's released), weather teams need another Stealth Rock setter. Solrock is probably the best option for this on Rain teams thanks to its access to Explosion, although on Sun teams Onix is probably the better choice with Taunt+Body Press.

:Lunatone:Lunatone
Lunatone @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
Modest / Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish

Lunatone @ Choice Specs
Modest / Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball / Grass Knot
My first shiny. And I failed it. But that destroyed childhood aside, this mon has a solid offensive presence. While its stats aren't the best, it does have the decent typing and coverage. Similar to Solrock, Lunatone could also run double dance, this time with Nasty Plot+Rock Polish. It can also run Choice Specs, but again is not the best option when compared to other Psychic-types like Mr. Mime. That being said, it has said really solid coverage options alongside its STAB moves, which is definitely a niche. Finally, Lunatone could also probably fit on a Rain team, but I'd prefer Solrock's more powerful Explosion.

:Baltoy:Baltoy
Baltoy @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
We do have Carkol if we want Rapid Spin+Stealth Rock, but Baltoy's typing does give it some niche, at least on paper. It also has access to Toxic compared to Carkol's Will-O-Wisp, meaning mons like Musharna can't come in and use it as setup bait. It probably sucks, but I thought I'd give it some love.

Other Psychic mons that I could see (or not) doing something but didn't feel like posting an entire set for:
  • :Oranguru:Oranguru - Decently bulky and powerful, this mon also gets some nice support moves like Encore and Pain Split. It also gets Nature Power, which turns into Tri Attack, giving it a Normal-type STAB.
  • :Gothitelle:Gothitelle - An S-rank in Ubers last I checked, this mon is pretty mediocre without it Shadow Tag. It gets Competitive, which could be cool on a Sticky Web team, but I'd rather use Meowstic-F thanks to its higher Speed.
  • (I don't know the command for this mon's sprite)Galarian Ponyta - It has nice dual STAB, decent coverage, and Morning Sun/Healing Wish, but I'd rather use Silvally-Psychic if a wanted a fast, physical Psychic-type. Or just use Psyshock.
  • :Dottler:Dottler - With Iron Defense and Calm Mind, this mon can set up and spam Body Press and Recover. However, Duosion fills that role better, albeit without Body Press. Dottler can also run Stick Web, but there are better options for that role like Chargabug and Cutiefly.
  • :Inkay:Inkay - Malamar was broken early SUMO PU, so this must be even better because it has the Eviolite boost. GG.

Psychic-types are coming from every direction this gen, and who knows who will join them and leave them after Alpha starts and when we get thet DLC. Eviolite Galarian Slowpoke anyone? Finally, thank you for those that at least skimmed my post, okay bye.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've played all of 4 games of spec PU, but here's some of what I've gleaned so far. Have problems with Sneasel yet? There are a good number of Pokemon that pressure this well, but Sneasel always gets away with crippling something. Sneasel's presence makes it difficult not to build with Pokemon like bulky Silvally-Water or Mawile, so here's a new way to deal with it for you: First Impression Trapinch.

Image result for golisopod anime first impression gif

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- First Impression
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Earth Power

Trapinch @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

First Impression was given to Trapinch this gen, and its +2 priority enables Trapinch to hit first before Sneasel's Ice Shard, which is pretty cool. You can basically trap and RKO Sneasel at any percentage, so long as hazards aren't going to kill you coming in. Even without the boost from Choice Band, Brave/Adamant with max investment lets Trapinch OHKO Sneasel.
:Sneasel:
252+ Atk Trapinch First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sneasel: 288-340 (114.7 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But, if you do go with Choice Band, you get the guaranteed OHKO on Ludicolo and Swoobat (Swoobat KO only after SR, assuming no boots too), which will help prevent you from being swept by HO teams right now.
:Ludicolo:
252+ Atk Trapinch First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 362-426 (121 - 142.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:Swoobat:
252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 217-256 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you choose to go with ORAS's Trapinch's SpDef set, it's still got Toxic for big threats like Musharna and enough survivability to live +2 Psyshock from Def CM Musharna.
:Musharna:
+2 0 SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 256-303 (87.3 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 0 SpA Musharna Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 228-268 (77.8 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On that first set above, I was messing around with Earth Power for targets hit harder on their SpDef like Stonjourner, assuming it hasn't locked into something that'll break Trapinch. You can alternatively invest in more Defense to do this, but it's probably not necessary and a different filler might be better.
:Stonjourner:
8 SpA Trapinch Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Stonjourner: 326-386 (95.6 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Taking all of this a step further, you can build with Trapinch together with offensive threats checked by Sneasel, like Swoobat. :Swoobat:+:Trapinch: is an offensive core I'd use. You can also pair it with Pokemon that enjoy Mawile gone or weakened, like Ninjask and Leafeon. I posted a bunch of different Trapinch cores in ORAS too, like Zebstrika + Trapinch for removing Stunfisk or Trapinch + SD Jumpluff for removing Probopass / Mawile, and pretty much that same basic logic applies to this meta.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Some teams I would like to share

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.38.18 PM.png
Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Grass Pledge
- Defog
- Parting Shot

Noctowl @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam

Grapploct @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Brutal Swing
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Foul Play

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Specs Noctowl rules. I like it more than the Nasty Plot set because it's so mindless to just click Hyper Voice or Hurricane and get kills, kind of like a discount Exploud. AV Grapploct functions as a solid all-around tank sort of like Hitmonchan in SM PU. SD Leafeon and Scarf Mime are borrowed straight from ORAS on the other hand, adding a reliable breaker and revenge killer + Healing Wish support. Screech on Stunfisk provides extra insurance against broken Mush.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.31.11 PM.png
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 108 HP / 156 Atk / 56 Def / 184 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Toxic

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Lunatone @ Damp Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Surf
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Basculin @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Superpower
- Final Gambit
- Aqua Jet

Ludicolo has very few checks in this tier so I thought it would be fun to try it out. Building an all-out rain team seemed a little stale though, so I placed it on a bulky offense along with surprise Scarf Basculin. Lunatone sets both Rocks and Rain here, while wallbreaker Mawile provides a lot of complimentary resists and can break through pokemon like Shiinotic for the rain core to sweep easier. Throh absorbs status and spreads status.

hi some insights of mine on really nice mons that not many people seem to be using (click for sets)

:persian:
Persian @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn

this might seem dreadful at first glance but it's really not. essentially, for those familiar with dpp pu, it works extremely similar to how purugly works there - all of its stats bar speed are terrible on paper but with stab fake out, technician, u-turn, a lovely speed tier, and in a meta with a very low power level, it's an excellent offensive pivot that can offensively check a lot of "brokens" like sneasel and swoobat and common speed control such as mane, as well as other threats like vallies and bello depending on the situation. works really nicely with toxic support and maybe would've worked well with spikes too if spikes weren't ass this gen and our spinners were better than wartortle lol. i've been using air slash as a third move to bop stuff like gourg but i've also seen water pulse being used to target stonjourner and carkol. special shoutout to Estarossa for being good at mons and sharing this with me. e: estarossa says it's also good with future sight if anyone wants to try that out

:seaking:
Seaking @ Life Orb / Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off

u might ask urself "why would i ever want to use this over sd watervally?" and while it can't nearly match watervally's sheer force, it more than makes up for it with:
1. free lanturn lightning rod - so i've seen millions of people spamming that sewage filth electric digimon (:manectric:) and seaking basically switches in all day with zero defensive investment and gets free setup opportunities. as long as people are going to keep spamming manectric this will keep being good. bonus - unlike other mane answers like palpitoad, it switches in pretty safely on raichu too as it takes like 30% from scarf chu's gknot.
2. knock off - no need to explain how valuable this move is in a meta with eviolites/boots everywhere, and being able to use it to threaten stuff and not only as utility is p nice
3. free item slot - life orb pairs very very nicely with sd boosts and seaking's good coverage, and u can even run boots if u cba with removal/not using a vally fsr.

here's a team i've been using for anyone that likes losing battles on pokemon showdown (click for importable):
:persian::mawile::mr. mime::seaking::roselia::drakloak:

this was extremely unintuitive for me to build as someone so deeply rooted in sm pu (this team has no scarfers, no hazard removal, and less than 5 voltturn mons) but i'm relatively pleased with how it turned out after some small tweaks. my concept when building this has been a gen8 version of kangaspikes/uglyspikes, and while spikes kinda suck rn it has a spiker and a spinblocker so it can utilize spikes to its advantage once every few battles. mawile is the nicest rocker rn imo and i've been running mixed defenses so i can cripple stuff like bello/mush more easily. drakloak (s/o TJ) is another mon that, like persian, looks seriously underwhelming on paper, but willo+hex is a really nice combo on a mon capable of outspeeding vally, and draco meteor bops dragonvally. hell this thing can even run scald which i once ran unintendedly with some fun results. oh yeah this team also has no hazard removal but two of the mons wear boots, nothing is really weak to rocks, spikes are non-existent, and rose can absorb the rare tspike so bop.

haven't been a big fan of gen8 comp in general but spec pu is surprisingly fun and i'd encourage more people to hop on the pu room and partake in spec roomtours. can't wait to see what the future holds for us :psyglad:

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know I've kinda grown weary of competitive Pokemon recently (tl;dr laddering is a fuck) but honestly? This meta looks flames as shit. THIS is the "return to form" for PU I've been waiting for ever since Gen 7's absurdly powercrept iteration with bullshit like Eelektross and Jellicent in the tier. Meanwhile I'm looking at this thread and seeing amazingly memey recommendations like Kantonian Raichu and Persian, Basculin, Throh... Aaaaah it's so great to see genuinely bad mons being dominant again. Keep it up PU!

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So after some number crunching, cause you know I like my ev spreads, been messing arond with some set during spec meta and basically what i came up with:

Grapploct @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Brutal Swing

Who doesn't love those Gurdurr vibes with this thing and one of my favorite mons in Gen 8 in general. While it lacks in priority like Gurdurr, it makes up for this with being able to run Taunt for more passive mons making it work somewhat as a stallbreaker in a sense. The HP + defense investment lets Grapploct take 2 banded Icicle Crashes from Sneasel after Stealth Rock with the rest thrown into Attack to boost the power of its attacks. Substitute can also work to ease prediction and dodge Toxic and burns overall.

Persian @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Water Pulse

Yeah this meta is sorta strapped in terms of natural speed somewhat while stuff like Sneasel, Swoobat, and Ninjask exist. So why not work with NP Persian? Struggles to find oppurtunities to set up since its typing isn't the most ideal, however the combination of Hyper Voice + Shadow Ball hits everything neutrally with Water Pulse mainly here to chunk Galarian Stunfisk. Paired with some removal and momentum and this thing can put it a ton of work.

talking about an underrated mon that may finally have a chance to do something after X years

Vespiquen has been relegated as a bottom of the barrel mon since it's conception but boots have given it a new lease on life. In addition to this, Gen 8 gave it a few more moves to work with, so it may find a home in PU now.
1582328113435.png

Vespiquen (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Defog / Aromatherapy
- U-turn / Defog / Air Slash

Always bulky, but with a now lack of crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, Vespqieun can function as a slow bulky pivot with U-Turn to let in fast bois worry free. Unlike something like Null, she can also provide support with Defog, Aromatherapy, and/or Toxic Spikes. Defensive Vespiquen works just as well, although the threat of Knock is not pleasant, but can be played around and it avoids 2HKO from Silvally's Multi-Attack. Give her a try thanks.

Last edited:
I'm back back back again. Been having an absolute blast in Spec PU and now that Alpha is about to start, I'd like to share some of the most viable teams that I've used thus far. Don't worry, there are no Sneasels or Swoobats in these teams so I think most will be usable in PU alpha. There's a lot of nutty stuff so prepare yourself :)

Blunder Policy Gothitelle Screens HO

Team is pretty easy to use. Just set up rocks with Drilbur, then screens with Morgrem, and set up with anything in the back to win. Usually, Noctowl is the sweeper of the team but the other mons can easily sweep as well. I wanted to try out Blunder Policy Gothitelle and with Screens support + Competitive + Blunder Policy, it can be very dangerous to play around or beat in the game. It's kind of weak to SubSeed Gourgeist if Morgrem dies so be smart against that Pokemon.
Steel/Dragon/Fairy + Fire/Water/Grass Balance

I used Wishiwashi + Cherrim when people were using Cramorant and Rotom-Fan down here and it still was surprisingly strong during that Spec PU, so I wanted to use it again on a separate team. The idea is to break with CB Wishiwashi and then healing wish it back up with Cherrim late-game. HDB Heatmor is another solid breaker and if you play this team offensively, despite having a lot of Pokemon that look slow and passive, you can win against strong teams that even use Sneasel or Swoobat currently.
Rockless Specs Lampent Offense

Don't let a team without Stealth Rocks deter you from using it. Specs Lampent is an amazing breaker and with pivots from the likes of Vibrava and Silvally-Water, it gets kills left and right. Nothing wants to switch in on Overheat and Shadow Ball and the things that do want to switch in to those moves are checks to SD Silvally-Water, so that becomes a problem later on. The team has synergy and relies on SD Shedinja to check Musharna, Bellossom, Ludicolo, and Raichu.
LO Glalie Bulky Offense

The idea behind this team is to spikes stack and break with Glalie. Glalie thanks to Inner Focus lets it break Mawile that is problematic for QD Bellossom and Fire types with EQ. The team is kind of weak to Specs Glaceon but there are some outs versus it. If you play correctly, you should win with either scarf liepard or QD Bellossom in the end.
Double Trap Extravaganza Semi-Stall

Probably my most gimmicky team here, but very effective. idea is to trap everything that is a problem to Ninjask and Klang with both Diglett and Trapinch. Sash Diglett traps Stonjourner, Manectric, and Raichu, while Trapinch traps dark and Grass types that can be a problem for the team. Klang acts as Ice and Psychic support while Eject Button Pyukumuku lets you get free switch-ins for Trapinch and Diglett. BAN ARENA TRAP.
CB Trapinch Rain

As standard as rain can go. The only cool part is that this rain includes Trapinch. Trapinch traps opposing swift swim Ludicolo that I found to be a major problem to rain teams or locked in Electric types like Manectric or Raichu. SD Seaking is cool too. Try it out if you are looking to use rain. Oh, Ludicolo also has Protect so it can block Fake out from Persian and First Impression from other Trapinch on their team.
Technician Brothers Bulky Offense

Very standard spikes stack team. The breaker is Specs Roselia and it has a cool tech in AV Grapploct to check Lapras and Ludicolo. Silvally-Water is special on this team to better check things like Mawile, Honedge, and Basculin. Idea is to spikes stack and overwhelm your opponent with Roselia and Persian. Pretty fun imo.
Sliggoo Stall

Stall. That's it. :) Sliggoo is here just for sun teams. Rest is basic stall.

The real metagame is getting really close so I'll just dump my teams here for posterity and to laugh at them in a few months. This is only the teams i could actually win games with so you won't see some embarassing wild stuff. Also all of them have Silvally-Water.

I tried Ninjask
:ninjask::sneasel::mawile::bellossom::silvally::beheeyem:
The point of this was to stack all things checked by Mawile and put an annoying Ninjask on top. I tried making the volturn core bigger but it didn't really work as Ninjask felt better as a general late game sweeper more than something to put pressure on things and force switches (because it doesn't really ohko any of the things threatened by its STABs as they tend to be fat Psychic types or they can ice shard it in Sneasel's case). Anyway it's really good at baiting Mawile in I guess maybe with more spikes and volturn it could seriously be a contender.
Fully special Silvally can afford to not run a mixed attacker nature and is better defensively even tho a bit weaker i guess it's an option. Beheeyem has Flash Cannon since it's neutral on Mawile and kills Sneasel i guess. Also Taunt on Mawile is really good for Musharna and the like.

Specs Glaceon + Manectric
:glaceon::shiinotic::silvally::stonjourner::grapploct::swoobat:
You might notice at first glance there is no Manectric on the team and that's because it's trash. I didn't change the name of the team on purpose to make a point.
Glaceon 2HKOs everything, Swoobat is a good cleaner if you can handle Sneasels, Shiinotic checks Grapploct and Throh beautifully, hits kind of hard and can use Spore so it's quite cool. The star however is the absolute unit SpDef Stonjourner with Protect that can actually take some hits and get up rocks and still hit hard. In awe at the size of this dead meme.

Leafeon Carry
:silvally::leafeon::mawile::sneasel::throh::musharna:
I think this is the most boring team of the collection by far but the Leafeon set is really something since you can't not run Mawile and this feasts on it read my above post for more information. (PS I was informed Mawile can run Super Fang and fuck you up regardless :( ))
I have a really cursed Mawile set also if you are into it.

AH YES THERE IS STILL MUSHARNA IN THIS TIER
:musharna::mawile::silvally::leafeon::grapploct::ludicolo:
I realized that that that Musharna is still legal and i tried running a cute item on it but everything works on it really. It's just really strong at plowing through a weakened team and the only long term check is Clefairy for now which is yikes due to knock offs. Ludicolo also looks like fan with a sexy Water resist and really unresisted dual stab between the greatest mons available.

:manectric:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Hey so I really really enjoyed this speculation period of PU. It had a bunch of cool threats, the power level felt Oras-y (which is a gen that I love), and overall building didn't feel restrictive but you still had to account for some top threats. Here are the teams I mainly used:

:liepard: :mawile: :sneasel: :vespiquen: :mr-mime: :lapras:

Kind of a dark spam team, with HW mime to bring either breaker back up to full. Didn't get the chance to test it out too much but fun build for sure! edit: I should mention low sweep is a cool tech for boosting sweepers like Wartortle (lol), for them to not get out of control.

:stunfisk-galar: :raichu: :noctowl: :leafeon: :silvally-water: :swoobat:

This team was made to outspeed a lot of the top threats going around, basically offensively pressure them. A lot of what I think makes a good breaker rn is outspeeding the silvally's since they're so prominent. Yache Leafeon and Silvally-Water are there to either lure or check Sneasel defensively, to aid Swoobat. Raichu is sort of an underrated breaker, good speed tier and great coverage for all the rockers and defensive cores.

:lapras: :linoone-galar: :noctowl: :clefairy: :solrock: :silvally-ground:

This was more of an unconventional build focusing around pivoting with Linoone-Galar who is surprisingly bulky and fits into the great catagory of out speeding very common mons. The team is double rocks but you can make it either CM Clef with another move over Aroma, or maybe Zen Headbutt Solrock for Throh and the sort (EQ can also work for fisk)

:pincurchin: :thievul: :musharna: :silvally-water: :clefairy: :sneasel:

This was the one thievul team I used p much the whole month, I think it's a super interesting win-con. You'd be surprised how strong it is, and how much that defense boost can come in handy (being able to eat Multi Attack from Silvally types is a big deal tbh.) Pretty straight forward what the other things are there for, HW for getting things back up, Sneasel lures in clef allowing Thievul to break later on at +2. The Silvally-Water set is cool, you really only defog in dire situations where say t spikes are up on your side and you NEED Thievul to not get poisoned.

Anyways thanks for reading. Very excited for this generation of PU. Hope you all had a great time playing during this period, and are just as pumped as I am. Cya in Alpha :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I found that a lot of teams from spec PU resembled early ORAS structures, so I was pretty happy and back in my comfort zone playing this while it lasted. Here are a few okay-ish teams that I speed-built and played with in a couple of room tours.

CHARJABUG WEBS
:Charjabug::Fraxure::Silvally-Water::Stonjourner::Swoobat::Pawniard:
Charjabug @ Eviolite
Ability: Battery
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Bug Bite

Fraxure (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Stomping Tantrum / Aqua Tail

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance

Stonjourner @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Heat Crash
- Superpower / Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Swoobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Stored Power

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Yeah yeah, you think Sticky Web sucks. I get it. But, this is the easiest way to make crazy wallbreakers even more broken, and CB Fraxure takes advantage of Sticky Web really well. Most people forget about First Impression, which enables Fraxure to score some easy OHKOs on naturally faster targets like Mr. Mime, Ludicolo, Swoobat, etc. With webs in play, you often get to click Outrage instead, and when you think about Outrage stops down here (ex. Shiinotic, Clefairy, Mr. Mime, Mawile, Stunfisk-G, etc.), all of these are obliterated by CB Poison Jab or Stomping Tantrum. Not even Eiscue's Ice Face takes Fraxure's attacks because it's negated by Mold Breaker lol.
This team is so easy to pilot though, just lead with Sash SR Stonjourner, focus on setting up and protecting Sticky Web, then win with some combination of Fraxure and Swoobat. Charjabug is great team support and cripples Musharna with Toxic, while acting as a slow and bulky pivot that lets you bring in Fraxure or Swoobat. Pawniard is mostly here for late-game clean up and deterring Defog, while acting as a soft resist to meta staples like Musharna, Sneasel, and Leafeon. Lastly, SD Silvally-Water is just really potent and takes on annoying Sneasel for Swoobat, while putting a big dent in SR users like Stunfisk-G for Pawniard.

:Mr. Mime:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Fraxure First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 214-252 (96.8 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
:Swoobat:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Fraxure First Impression vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 243-286 (88 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
:Musharna:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 240-283 (55.1 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Mawile:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Fraxure Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:Eiscue:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Eiscue: 277-327 (94.8 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

vs tj https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066752396
vs Musharnanigans https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066653955
vs UltimaJC https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066649923
vs Metool B https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066643095

Silvally-Grass > Leafeon Volt-Turn
:mr. mime::mawile::Silvally-Grass::Ninjask::Manectric::Wishiwashi:
Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Blast
- Play Rough
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Silvally @ Grass Memory
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge

Ninjask @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Leech Life

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Switcheroo
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Wishiwashi @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn

I don't really think that Silvally-Grass is better, but it was kind of a neat option for building with Wishiwashi while keeping a decent Leafeon, Stunfisk-G, Silvally-Water, etc. check and hazard removal in tact. I just felt like building with some mons that I like here, and while Specs Mime isn't all that great, it was a shoutout to this team here that I played with against Kaboom for battle of the week back in ORAS: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-367742639. I really love Ninjask despite its shortcomings, so just zipping in and out safely with Protect + Speed Boost + U-turn + Heavy-Duty Boots is my jam. People also love to hate Manectric, but there's something to be said for that speed tier and ability to cripple your opponent's wincons. Fire Blast Sheer Force Mawile is just for bringing in fat SR users like other Mawile and Stunfisk-G, which lets you VoltTurn with the rest of the team more comfortably.

vs tj https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066761860
Early Version of the team vs General Annoyance https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1065482067
vs idk who https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1067313100

meta.exe
:Sneasel::Leafeon::Throh::Stunfisk-Galar::Silvally-Water::Mr. Mime:
Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Leafeon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 64 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off
- Circle Throw

Stunfisk-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mimicry
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Counter

Silvally @ Water Memory
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- U-turn

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

This was just a revamped version of my old ORAS sample built for/with gasquakee, with some Galar thrown in. Originally, I just wanted bulky hazard stack with Throh as the centerpiece of the team, but the team devolved from there and I ended up with a decent BO squad. Hwish Mime is supporting phat Throh and phat Lum + Synthesis Leafeon, with galbia's bulky EV spread. I really like this team even if it looks bog standard because of techs like RH Counter Stunfisk-G playing a role in letting Sneasel wallbreak effectively (ex. Silvally-Water will smack Stunfisk-G with Multi-Attack, opening it up to be KOed by Counter so that Sneasel can wreak havoc).

Spec PU Rain
:Beartic::Ludicolo::Liepard::Pincurchin::Raichu::Palpitoad:
Beartic @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Swords Dance

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance / Protect

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Pincurchin @ Damp Rock
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Memento
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Raichu @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Palpitoad @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic

Rain is boring and broken, so while it's not my favorite team, I still had to build it. Beartic usually breaks teams solo, but if it doesn't, Ludicolo has a nice shot too with Scarf Mime often being the fastest thing people run (outside of priority).
This is really easy to pilot, lead with SR Sash Palpitoad, set up Rain Dance with one of Ludicolo, Damp Rock Memento Pincurchin, or Liepard, then go to town. Raichu is this team's guest star cleaner with its Rain Dance-boosted Surf and 100% accurate and Electric Terrain-boosted Thunder, courtesy of Pincurchin. This is pretty Roselia weak, so you could think about cleaning with something else other than Raichu. A lot of people aren't using SpDef Roselia though, so it's not a huge issue.
I slapped Protect on Ludicolo as an afterthought for blocking Trapinch's First Impression, but just go with Rain Dance imo. :psysly:

vs ICG
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1067315816

I had a few more but eh. I'll maybe post a few Trapinch or Heatmor squads later.

Last edited:
Hey so I really really enjoyed this speculation period of PU. It had a bunch of cool threats, the power level felt Oras-y (which is a gen that I love), and overall building didn't feel restrictive but you still had to account for some top threats. Here are the teams I mainly used:

:liepard: :mawile: :sneasel: :vespiquen: :mr-mime: :lapras:

Kind of a dark spam team, with HW mime to bring either breaker back up to full. Didn't get the chance to test it out too much but fun build for sure! edit: I should mention low sweep is a cool tech for boosting sweepers like Wartortle (lol), for them to not get out of control.

:stunfisk-galar: :raichu: :noctowl: :leafeon: :silvally-water: :swoobat:

This team was made to outspeed a lot of the top threats going around, basically offensively pressure them. A lot of what I think makes a good breaker rn is outspeeding the silvally's since they're so prominent. Yache Leafeon and Silvally-Water are there to either lure or check Sneasel defensively, to aid Swoobat. Raichu is sort of an underrated breaker, good speed tier and great coverage for all the rockers and defensive cores.

:lapras: :linoone-galar: :noctowl: :clefairy: :solrock: :silvally-ground:

This was more of an unconventional build focusing around pivoting with Linoone-Galar who is surprisingly bulky and fits into the great catagory of out speeding very common mons. The team is double rocks but you can make it either CM Clef with another move over Aroma, or maybe Zen Headbutt Solrock for Throh and the sort (EQ can also work for fisk)

:pincurchin: :thievul: :musharna: :silvally-water: :clefairy: :sneasel:

This was the one thievul team I used p much the whole month, I think it's a super interesting win-con. You'd be surprised how strong it is, and how much that defense boost can come in handy (being able to eat Multi Attack from Silvally types is a big deal tbh.) Pretty straight forward what the other things are there for, HW for getting things back up, Sneasel lures in clef allowing Thievul to break later on at +2. The Silvally-Water set is cool, you really only defog in dire situations where say t spikes are up on your side and you NEED Thievul to not get poisoned.

Anyways thanks for reading. Very excited for this generation of PU. Hope you all had a great time playing during this period, and are just as pumped as I am. Cya in Alpha :blobthumbsup:
Nice teams overall but I noticed one small thing I think you should change which is running Limber on CB Liepard to absorb twaves. Also what does Timid achieve over modest for Ludi? I’m thinking modest helps vs Roselia matchup which threatens your rain

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
hiii ok so i didnt get to play this meta much, maybe i'll play more during alpha cuz pu looks kinda fun rn but we'll see. anyway i built a team with acrojask + trapinch cuz i noticed that jask seems like a rly good cleaner that is hampered by a select few common threats (mawile, stonjourner, sneasel come to mind in particular), all of which are conveniently trapped and killed by evio trapinch.

:trapinch: :ninjask: :type null: :mawile: :silvally: :mr. mime:

i just stole the trapinch set from whoever posted it in here, earth power i think has a good chance to ohko stonjourner or some shit and toxic is filler cuz idk what else u can run on this, the rest is self-explanatory. i gave jask enough speed for swoobat i think and just dumped the rest in hp cuz after a speed boost u already outspeed everything and i think it's nice to be able to not die to every neutral hit, but ig max speed adamant is valid too. i felt acro itemless was a better move than boots aerial ace cuz it just hits so much harder, u can actually threaten stuff before an sd which is aces. one of the nice things abt trapinch is that since everybody runs mawile, u can trap and kill not only ur opponent's ninjask answer but also their rocker, so pinch + defog makes it not too difficult to keep rocks off the field. with 2 mons with little defensive utility i figured null was a good addition as an insanely bulky pivot that just blanket checks a bunch of scary special attackers like ludicolo, specs glaceon etc while keeping the momentum going. mawile is the obvious rocker, im using a taunt tox set with seismic toss in order to a: prevent the team from getting 6-0d by sd null, b: beat all leafeon sets fairly reliably i think, and c: prevent bulky roselia from tspiking all over my team (thats what the speed is for). silvally-water relieves some pressure from mawile as the sneasel check, defogs, and is generally kinda too good to pass up. didnt rly know what set to run but this one seemed alright, i considered flamethrower > sd to beat mawile and maybe thats better but who knows rly. scarf mime in the final slot gives me an extra fighting check cuz fighting types are dangerous, while also greatly benefiting from trapinch's ability to remove stuff like mawile and sneasel. the cherry on top is hwish which is extremely useful to give the defensive backbone of the team a second life if necessary, while also giving u the ability to give trapinch a second shot at trapping if ur opponent happens to have 2 ninjask checks.

this meta looks neat, i hope alpha will be neat too, arena trap should probably be looked into at some point but we'll have to wait until beta for that, uhhh hope u like my team!!

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Nice teams overall but I noticed one small thing I think you should change which is running Limber on CB Liepard to absorb twaves. Also what does Timid achieve over modest for Ludi? I’m thinking modest helps vs Roselia matchup which threatens your rain
That's definitely an option! I liked prankster to twave +1 Silvallys so I can potentially do some para flinch stuff with Sneasel, or wear them down with mime ect.

As far as timid vs modest Ludicolo one of the only things timid does outspeed is scarf mane (which isn't a great mon by any means but is a threat for the rain sweepers). Though, you can just run Trapinch and revenge it/try to bait the tbolt and hard in. Outspeeding other Ludi's in the mirror with how popular rain is also seems nice. There might be a couple more scenarios but those seemed to be the most relevant.

TTK

Narmaya. That's it.
is a Community Contributor
Alright guys since this is the last day before Alpha drops, just like everyone else before me, I will be posting my goat squads that I've built this month. I'll probably still use these teams when alpha drops assuming most of the mons on the list will actually end up PU but it's quite likely (sneasel needs to go)

1582999753407.png

This is probably my favourite I've built in pre-alpha, utilising Choice Specs Octillery because I felt like we didn't have much special breakers in the tier and I wanted to build around one. That's why you will see Glaceon later on in this post. Either way, Specs Octillery has the coverage options and good spatk to 2hko at the minimum, a lot of mons in the tier. Stunfisk-G is a good rocker atm, and obviously blocks electric attacks for Oct. Band Sneasel is dumb, if you can't beat them, you join them lul. Watervally is a good defogger and silvally forms not weak to rocks are going to be good. Enough speed to outrun stonjourner. Now scarf raboot is actually nice to use, sure it doesn't have Libero but base 94 speed and decent 86 attack make it a decent enough pivot, forming a volt-turn core with watervally to get Oct in on the field safely. Gunk Shot nukes clef (which is kinda common) and HJK punishes ston switchins. Finally NP Meowstic-F, the setup of my team. Being only slower than mane, raichu, liepard and Sneasel, meowstic can punish defoggers thanks to Competitive and dish out good damage to the majority of the metagame at a potential +4.

1583000324708.png

Another team utilising a strong special attacker, specs Glaceon. Like g said above, it just 2hkos everything, the combination of Freeze Dry and Ice Beam is crazy for anything that's not a steel type (really only Klang can take stuff, mawile is ez 2hko and so is fisk). Noctowl, one of our consistent defoggers and got better as the month went on because Tinted Lens was freed (better for the np set but stuff like raichu and mane cant switch in freely). SD Fightingvally a big threat hitting hard with that Multiattack, a Close Combat without any drawbacks. Type Null is always a good spdef tank and despite the fact it lost Return, Crush Claw is a nice alternative for having an easier time against defensive mons and having more chip with U-turn. Gourgeist-XL has a simple job, stop physical attackers with will o and synthesis and scarf mane (I hate it) but good enough speed tier and pivoting, which I like.

1583002132696.png

It's a shame I haven't used this team too much but when I have, Greedent really shined. I can only find a niche for this mon on tr unfortunately because that 20 base speed is doing it on favours in regular play imo, you would any other normal eg Silvally. Solrock is probably the best lead trick room setter taking carbinks place as a mon that goes boom. The rest of the team is standard trick room with specs washi, last gen beheeyem, banded trev and belly drum greedent. After a belly drum, sitrus pretty much brings you back to full health so you can begin sweeping, thanks to its fat hp stat, even if trick room is down, it'll live an attack and just kill smth else. It's fun.

I made a lot more teams but I'll share these 3 because they're my favourite ones. Thanks for reading. I have a video also showing off some replays I've had playing the pre alpha meta this month so if you want to see how people were building and such, I recommend you check it out!

Attachments

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
alright NU stats are out so PU alpha is on!!

+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon | Percent |
| 1 | Cofagrigus | 22.355% |
| 2 | Sandaconda | 18.403% |
| 3 | Vikavolt | 17.894% |
| 4 | Mantine | 16.413% |
| 5 | Silvally-Fairy | 15.859% |
| 6 | Garbodor | 14.781% |
| 7 | Togedemaru | 14.663% |
| 8 | Mr. Mime-Galar | 14.338% |
| 9 | Rhydon | 14.318% |
| 10 | Haunter | 14.220% |
| 11 | Hitmonchan | 14.204% |
| 12 | Unfezant | 13.122% |
| 13 | Toxicroak | 12.989% |
| 14 | Kingler | 12.370% |
| 15 | Abomasnow | 11.780% |
| 16 | Jolteon | 11.231% |
| 17 | Piloswine | 10.936% |
| 18 | Cursola | 10.871% |
| 19 | Hitmontop | 10.514% |
| 20 | Slurpuff | 10.405% |
| 21 | Lanturn | 9.673% |
| 22 | Scrafty | 8.599% |
| 23 | Falinks | 8.279% |
| 24 | Drampa | 8.138% |
| 25 | Qwilfish | 8.068% |
| 26 | Rapidash-Galar | 7.974% |
| 27 | Sawk | 7.921% |
| 28 | Appletun | 7.788% |
| 29 | Skuntank | 7.440% |
| 30 | Drednaw | 7.091% |
| 31 | Golurk | 6.847% |
| 32 | Flareon | 6.845% |
| 33 | Ferroseed | 6.689% |
| 34 | Perrserker | 6.264% |
| 35 | Orbeetle | 6.225% |
| 36 | Klinklang | 5.958% |
| 37 | Sneasel | 5.941% |
| 38 | Rotom-Frost | 5.750% |
| 39 | Dubwool | 5.634% |
| 40 | Malamar | 5.572% |
| 41 | Rotom-Fan | 5.569% |
| 42 | Butterfree | 5.471% |
| 43 | Gourgeist-Small | 5.440% |
| 44 | Crustle | 5.265% |
| 45 | Arctozolt | 5.074% |
| 46 | Stunfisk-Galar | 4.731% |
------ above is NU, below is PU -------
| 47 | Shuckle | 4.459% |
| 48 | Pyukumuku | 4.341% |
| 49 | Liepard | 4.325% |
| 50 | Swoobat | 4.130% |
| 51 | Gourgeist-Super | 4.012% |
| 52 | Arctovish | 3.745% |
| 53 | Ninjask | 3.733% |
| 54 | Mawile | 3.659% |
| 55 | Manectric | 3.548% |
| 56 | Eiscue | 3.215% |
| 57 | Ludicolo | 3.188% |
| 58 | Stonjourner | 3.117% |
| 59 | Silvally-Poison | 3.072% |
| 60 | Noctowl | 2.865% |
| 61 | Basculin | 2.844% |
| 62 | Silvally-Dark | 2.745% |
| 63 | Silvally-Water | 2.716% |
| 64 | Musharna | 2.712% |
| 65 | Silvally-Fire | 2.664% |
| 66 | Silvally-Ground | 2.660% |
| 67 | Glaceon | 2.633% |
| 68 | Clefairy | 2.510% |
| 69 | Hattrem | 2.387% |
| 70 | Raichu | 2.353% |
| 71 | Silvally | 2.153% |
| 72 | Beartic | 2.134% |
| 73 | Bellossom | 2.132% |
| 74 | Dusclops | 1.995% |
| 75 | Carkol | 1.994% |
| 76 | Vullaby | 1.981% |
| 77 | Shiinotic | 1.927% |
| 78 | Silvally-Dragon | 1.863% |
| 79 | Wishiwashi | 1.823% |
| 80 | Pincurchin | 1.774% |
| 81 | Grapploct | 1.765% |
| 82 | Solrock | 1.758% |
| 83 | Leafeon | 1.701% |
| 84 | Shedinja | 1.623% |
| 85 | Heatmor | 1.596% |
| 86 | Roselia | 1.584% |
| 87 | Trevenant | 1.374% |
| 88 | Throh | 1.364% |
| 89 | Dusknoir | 1.334% |
| 90 | Type: Null | 1.318% |
| 91 | Lapras | 1.306% |
| 92 | Meowstic | 1.272% |
| 93 | Thievul | 1.188% |
| 94 | Whiscash | 1.082% |
| 95 | Trapinch | 1.006% |
| 96 | Duosion | 0.998% |
| 97 | Beheeyem | 0.914% |
| 98 | Pawniard | 0.841% |
| 99 | Lunatone | 0.815% |
| 100 | Oranguru | 0.770% |
| 101 | Mr. Mime | 0.734% |
| 102 | Silvally-Flying | 0.703% |
| 103 | Persian | 0.662% |
| 104 | Gloom | 0.627% |
| 105 | Silvally-Grass | 0.625% |
| 106 | Silvally-Electric | 0.624% |
| 107 | Vespiquen | 0.622% |
| 108 | Maractus | 0.621% |
| 109 | Silvally-Fighting | 0.602% |
| 110 | Drakloak | 0.592% |
| 111 | Vulpix | 0.585% |
| 112 | Greedent | 0.576% |
| 113 | Koffing | 0.557% |
| 114 | Togetic | 0.555% |
| 115 | Linoone-Galar | 0.538% |
| 116 | Palpitoad | 0.510% |
| 117 | Gourgeist | 0.499% |
| 118 | Machoke | 0.484% |
| 119 | Onix | 0.484% |
| 120 | Wartortle | 0.480% |
| 121 | Morgrem | 0.438% |
| 122 | Gothitelle | 0.438% |
| 123 | Pikachu | 0.411% |
| 124 | Farfetch'd-Galar | 0.409% |
| 125 | Delibird | 0.405% |
| 126 | Sudowoodo | 0.364% |
| 127 | Ivysaur | 0.363% |
| 128 | Fraxure | 0.347% |
| 129 | Wailord | 0.305% |
| 130 | Sliggoo | 0.277% |
| 131 | Octillery | 0.268% |
| 132 | Diglett | 0.262% |
| 133 | Munchlax | 0.257% |
| 134 | Mareanie | 0.250% |
| 135 | Seaking | 0.248% |
| 136 | Gourgeist-Large | 0.237% |
| 137 | Bronzor | 0.236% |
| 138 | Raboot | 0.229% |
| 139 | Hippopotas | 0.212% |
| 140 | Glalie | 0.200% |
| 141 | Natu | 0.196% |
| 142 | Silvally-Rock | 0.196% |
| 143 | Drilbur | 0.171% |
| 144 | Vibrava | 0.160% |
| 145 | Cottonee | 0.160% |
| 146 | Klang | 0.143% |
| 147 | Spritzee | 0.127% |
| 148 | Sinistea | 0.122% |
| 149 | Riolu | 0.118% |
| 150 | Silvally-Psychic | 0.113% |
| 151 | Dottler | 0.112% |
| 152 | Torracat | 0.111% |
| 153 | Silvally-Ice | 0.104% |
| 154 | Corvisquire | 0.101% |

we "lost" the following: Sneasel, Dubwool, Gourgeist-Small, Stunfisk-Galar
we "gained" the following: Shuckle, Arctovish

of the losses the only one that hurts imo is stunfisk since it reduces the pool of viable rockers, but it's not like it was the #1 rocker in pre-alpha so it's nothing too bad. losing sneasel and dubwool is unequivocally a good thing imo. on the gains side, arctovish could end up being very potent thanks to its powerful fishious rend, while shuckle easily replaces charjabug as the premier webs setter. funnily enough, our two gains fit pretty snuggly on a team together, with arctovish greatly appreciating webs so it can spam fishious rend more easily. overall, alpha looks like it'll be pretty good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)