(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Considering how much easier Meltan and Melmetal are to obtain compared to other Mythicals (not called Magearna), they should have an exception for the GTS.
Maybe, but as a programmer myself i'd hardly feel compelled to implement a "if X then allow" when there's already a "if tagged mythical don't allow" condition :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
On that note, remember that tecnically Melmetal has a G-max form (which was even viewable in Home until they quickly patched that out the day after), so there's a high chance it gets released somewhere in SwSh via event.
Hopefully they'll also have Meltan available.

Or people who would play GO but are too lazy to walk *raises hand*

Considering how much easier Meltan and Melmetal are to obtain compared to other Mythicals (not called Magearna), they should have an exception for the GTS.
I would argue Melmetal being easier is worth a giant asterisk. Like true but.....
A single Meltan hey, whatever. Getting one in Go is a lengthy process but with a copy of Let's go? no problem.

Melmetal requires 400 Meltan candies to evolve. The most optimistic scenario for this is you have Let's Go so you can generate Meltans and then:
-Catch all let's say 20 of them (x3 candy per Meltan, approx 60 per box)
-You use a Pinap berry on every single one prior to catching them (120 per box)
-generate a box every 3 days (4 boxes total so about 12 days)

Did you know those boxes used to be limited to once per week? Horrible

Otherwise you gotta do this research https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Special_Research#Let.27s_GO.2C_Meltan to get a Meltan and then rely on Rare Candies to make up the remainder.

Maybe not HARD but boy howdy what a mess.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Can we trade Mythicals via the Y-Comm in SwSh? If yes then maybe that's the way they prefer Mythical Trades to be handled, having to actually go out and find someone instead of on some server in some vain attempt to keep them being "special".

Of course, from what it sounds like, this doesn't really excuse them apparently not updating the GTS so troll lots are harder to do.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Battle Chateau fights in XY have to be the most pathetic excuse for Gym Leader/Elite 4 rematches in the series

-All the Gym Leaders only use 2 Pokemon and the Elite Four members only use 3, and Diantha uses 4. That's either the same or 1 less mon for Gym Leaders compared to their first fights, 1 less for the Elite Four and 2 less for Diantha.

-The levels don't make any sense for the E4 and Diantha. Why do they start out weaker than their original battles...?

-The biggest travesty of all though has to be the movesets. You see, when you fight the major trainers the first time their Pokemon have actual custom-made movesets, but as you climb up the various levels those fancy moves get replaced with their level-up moves for that stage. Take Diantha's Gardevoir: Moonblast, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt at the normal level, taken straight from the OG Champion fight. Sounds good, right? Then you get up to the highest level, the Black Writ of Challenge, and Diantha's Gardevoir is now level 80... ...with a moveset of Captivate, Hypnosis, Dream Eater and Stored Power.

That last thing in particular convinces me the Battle Chateau, or at least this aspect of it, was not playtested/optimized properly. They probably intended these to be actual fights at some point considering their most basic levels use real movesets, but just like pretty much everything else in XY it wasn't fully realized, whether it be time constraints or just not thinking it through enough.

I dislike how gen 4 simultaniously buffed many pokemon that couldn´t keep up anymore with an evolution, while also introducing lots of new pokemon that were completely outclassed and forgettable from the start. Did pokemon like mothim, kricketune, lumineon and cherrim really have to be that awful?

Not every pokemon has to have amazing stats of course, but I feel like a pokemon should at least be somewhat usable in-game. The power difference between like mothim and, say, Staraptor or roserade, is absolutely massive. It's odd to me that so many original gen 4 pokemon are so forgettable while Gamefreak did recognize some forgettable pokemon from the previous gens and gave them an evolution.

I dislike how gen 4 simultaniously buffed many pokemon that couldn´t keep up anymore with an evolution, while also introducing lots of new pokemon that were completely outclassed and forgettable from the start. Did pokemon like mothim, kricketune, lumineon and cherrim really have to be that awful?

Not every pokemon has to have amazing stats of course, but I feel like a pokemon should at least be somewhat usable in-game. The power difference between like mothim and, say, Staraptor or roserade, is absolutely massive. It's odd to me that so many original gen 4 pokemon are so forgettable while Gamefreak did recognize some forgettable pokemon from the previous gens and gave them an evolution.
Isn’t that like every generation though? All the games have some that are outclassed or unusable. For example, Johto has Ledian, which is outclassed by Heracross, Hoenn has Mighyena which is outclassed by Sharpedo, Unova has Watchog, which is outclassed by Bouffalant to name a few. And to be fair though, they have been giving some of those Pokémon buffs in future generations, like Mothim getting Tinted Lens and Quiver Dance.

Through that logic, every generation is bad because they give Pokémon returning buffs while still introducing powerful Pokémon.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Isn’t that like every generation though? All the games have some that are outclassed or unusable. For example, Johto has Ledian, which is outclassed by Heracross, Hoenn has Mighyena which is outclassed by Sharpedo, Unova has Watchog, which is outclassed by Bouffalant to name a few. And to be fair though, they have been giving some of those Pokémon buffs in future generations, like Mothim getting Tinted Lens and Quiver Dance.

Through that logic, every generation is bad because they give Pokémon returning buffs while still introducing powerful Pokémon.
Yeah, sure, but what he was saying was that it's especially noticeable in Gen 4's case since at the same time they gave all these epic new evolutions to buff old shitmons they added in new shitmons. He never implied Gen 4 was bad as a whole because of it, where did that come from?

Yeah, sure, but what he was saying was that it's especially noticeable in Gen 4's case since at the same time they gave all these epic new evolutions to buff old shitmons they added in new shitmons. He never implied Gen 4 was bad as a whole because of it, where did that come from?
What I’m saying is that through his logic, all the generations are flawed, because they introduce new Buffs to old Pokémon while also adding lack luster Pokémon.

What I’m saying is that through his logic, all the generations are flawed, because they introduce new Buffs to old Pokémon while also adding lack luster Pokémon.
i mean i dont think the logic was "gen 4 was the only generation to include bad pokemon" and more on the lines of "gen 4 introduces a lot more of bad pokémon than usual even though this gen it seems like gamefreak noticed the power creep and tried to mitigate it with evos for old pokemon"

gen 4 does have a lot of pokemon that are just... bad in general. they arent even good for an ingame run and youre better off running either one of the 15 very good pokemon new gen 4 offer or get an old pokemon instead. i dont know much about the old games since its been ages i played one thats not a randomizer, but most newer games have most of their new pokemon at least be fun to use on the in game, even if not all of them can be useful competitively, for obvious reasons

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The Battle Chateau fights in XY have to be the most pathetic excuse for Gym Leader/Elite 4 rematches in the series
I don't get why they stopped doing the Platinum's Battleground/HGSS's Fighting Dojo-type locations. Those gave exactly what we wanted: a singular location where we can re-battle the Gym Leaders and other special trainers with a full team.

Meanwhile:
  • In B2W2 they were kept for the Pokemon World Tournament, which wasn't bad and probably let them have more tougher and competitive teams than usual which is great... but wouldn't have minded also a place to just causally battle them. Like maybe have a Battleground-like location nearby the Pokemon World Tournament where the local Gym Leaders & notable NPCs can go and relax.
  • In XY, well, *points to Yung Dramps post*. And the Battle Chateau was a good location to set it in... but they should have made the Gym Leaders & notable trainers exception to the rules where they're a full battle (at least for post game).
  • In ORAS it was a case of major confusion of why you couldn't battle the Gym Leaders again even though they're registered in the Trainer's Eye. Has anyone ever checked the files to see if maybe they had stronger teams but for some reason was either not implemented or a glitch caused them not to activate. Though even then you'd have to go through the Gyms again, they could have had a place in the Battle Resort where the Gym Leaders & notable NPCs gathered.
  • SM & USUM did what B2W2 did with keeping the Captains, Kahuna, and notable NPCs for the Battle Tree. Not sure where they would gather, maybe someplace in Aether Paradise?
  • SwSh is I guess alright with the Tournament Cup system they have, though maybe also have someplace where we can also battle and we don't Dynamax/Gigantamax our Pokemon (or reveal there was a private training ground in Wyndon for the Gym Leaders to train).

I posted this while still typing by accident so i'll take the L

I wish gamefreak wasn't so scared of reworking the base game a bit. I don't mean this in "pokémon should change its game genre!!!", but rather analyzing type matchups, moves, pokémon stats/movesets etc.
There's a lot of clutter from older gens, the type chart is a mess where some types are just bad, pokemon movesets that dont match the actual pokemon, etc.

adding regional variants seems what they want to do to indirectly "fix" old pokémon, and while I love regional variants, i wish they'd try to make the old pokémon relevant again
the deletion of moves this gen was overall decent. questionable moves with pursuit removal and letting old pokemon get moves deleted from their movepool back again (knock off should have stayed limited), but i still think more clean up should be done and that they should have the balls to at least keep that cleanup for one game, rather than letting everything back in with bank/home.

the type matchup chart is bad. justice for bug types.

I don't get why they stopped doing the Platinum's Battleground/HGSS's Fighting Dojo-type locations. Those gave exactly what we wanted: a singular location where we can re-battle the Gym Leaders and other special trainers with a full team.
It's not so much stopped doing as....I think it's a mix of gamefreak not caring all that much and also wanting to give different "flavor" when they do do that.
Battleground grabbed 4-5 people per day, randomly.
Dojo you had to do a whole song & dance to get the phone numbers, then call them at specific times to summon them and battle them
PWT was a battle facility!
Battle Chataeu just has them randomly show up in the trainer pools around the Chataeu. Will you even see them? Who knows!
Let's Go has you go find them in their gyms.
SWSH has the champion's cup but you can only influence one of the 7 trainers summoned into the pools.

It's a very "gamefreak" thing, I feel, to not just stick to one thing that works and just keep doing whatever. See also trainer rematches, wherein they reused an idea once (VS Seeker in FRLG and DPt) and n e v e r a g a i n
Meanwhile:
  • In ORAS it was a case of major confusion of why you couldn't battle the Gym Leaders again even though they're registered in the Trainer's Eye. Has anyone ever checked the files to see if maybe they had stronger teams but for some reason was either not implemented or a glitch caused them not to activate. Though even then you'd have to go through the Gyms again, they could have had a place in the Battle Resort where the Gym Leaders & notable NPCs gathered.
There are no stronger teams and trust me, if they WERE there and/or a glitch caused them not to spawn, this would be known e v e r y w h e r e and people would be after gamefreak's head. More so than usual, I mean

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I posted this while still typing by accident so i'll take the L

I wish gamefreak wasn't so scared of reworking the base game a bit. I don't mean this in "pokémon should change its game genre!!!", but rather analyzing type matchups, moves, pokémon stats/movesets etc.
There's a lot of clutter from older gens, the type chart is a mess where some types are just bad, pokemon movesets that dont match the actual pokemon, etc.

adding regional variants seems what they want to do to indirectly "fix" old pokémon, and while I love regional variants, i wish they'd try to make the old pokémon relevant again
the deletion of moves this gen was overall decent. questionable moves with pursuit removal and letting old pokemon get moves deleted from their movepool back again (knock off should have stayed limited), but i still think more clean up should be done and that they should have the balls to at least keep that cleanup for one game, rather than letting everything back in with bank/home.

the type matchup chart is bad. justice for bug types.
Meh, I’m not a fan of a “balanced” type chart. Without blanket defensive types like Steel and Water building proper defensive cores becomes borderline impossible (I’ve played pet mods with rebalanced type charts before an it’s a mess). Yeah, types like Ice could maybe use a resistance or 2, but I think the addition of boots mostly fixed the competitive aspect of some types being massive hindrances.

Meh, I’m not a fan of a “balanced” type chart. Without blanket defensive types like Steel and Water building proper defensive cores becomes borderline impossible (I’ve played pet mods with rebalanced type charts before an it’s a mess). Yeah, types like Ice could maybe use a resistance or 2, but I think the addition of boots mostly fixed the competitive aspect of some types being massive hindrances.
i dont think rebalancing should go with "ok now every type has 3 weakness and 3 strenghts" and just be done with it, but rather seeing what niche that type could bring and how to make it stand out. less of making everything equal and more of making everything have a good use in a way, yknow?

fix bug and ice tho please why would you give ice a single resistance LMAO

Only thing I'd do is give Ice...any other resistance. At all? Literally anything. Doesn't even have to be something really good like Water just...something. Like yes yes it's very cute that ice is a glass canon, very brittle, very strong. Let your typing decisions made in gen 1 go, gamefreak. Or how about a notable passive bonus like grass' imunity to spores and ghost ability to ignore trapping moves and steel's full immunity to the poison status?

Bug at least is SE against dark, psychic, grass and has solid resistances again Fighting (useful!), Ground(useful!) and Grass (*iffy hand motion*). Bug's biggest issue for a long time was more on its terrible pool of pokemon and moves than its actual typing, imo, even with all the things that resist it.

And maybe give either Ghost or Dark some other SE hit. Or both, given something different. It's really weird that we have 2 moves that hit the exact same things super effectively. Types have overlap, sure, but I can't think any other types like this.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Only thing I'd do is give Ice...any other resistance. At all? Literally anything. Doesn't even have to be something really good like Water just...something. Like yes yes it's very cute that ice is a glass canon, very brittle, very strong. Let your typing decisions made in gen 1 go, gamefreak. Or how about a notable passive bonus like grass' imunity to spores and ghost ability to ignore trapping moves and steel's full immunity to the poison status?

Bug at least is SE against dark, psychic, grass and has solid resistances again Fighting (useful!), Ground(useful!) and Grass (*iffy hand motion*). Bug's biggest issue for a long time was more on its terrible pool of pokemon and moves than its actual typing, imo, even with all the things that resist it.

And maybe give either Ghost or Dark some other SE hit. Or both, given something different. It's really weird that we have 2 moves that hit the exact same things super effectively. Types have overlap, sure, but I can't think any other types like this.
Ghost and Dark don’t need to hit anything else super effectively- There’s a reason their STAB moves never go beyond 100 BP, and Silvally Ghost/Dark have shown us that a strong STAB of those types is super hard to handle due to their neutral coverage

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Aside from Water ,the only other Type I can see Electric being resistant to is Electric-type. Ice is a poor conductor of electricity, and in Pokemon is can be explained the Ice-types energy is rapidly slowing down & dispersing the energy in the electricity as soon as it makes contact or enter the Ice-types presence (as opposed to fire which is either a constant stream of constantly combusting the internal fuel it has so there is no slowing down/dispersing that energy).

They could also maybe try doing something where Ice-types have a better chance of causing the Freeze status ailment (which I think needs a redo in how it works so it's not so broken that GF would want to keep it a rare status ailment). Like if an Ice-type had used an Ice-type move the previous turn and does so again it doubles the chance of freezing the opponent.

Ghost and Dark don’t need to hit anything else super effectively- There’s a reason their STAB moves never go beyond 100 BP, and Silvally Ghost/Dark have shown us that a strong STAB of those types is super hard to handle due to their neutral coverage
Then how about what they resist? For example, I can see Ghost-type resisting Ice and I can see Dark-type resisting Normal.

Speaking of Normal, think they should remove Normal's weakness to Fighting BUT instead make Fighting-types resist Normal-types. This would make Normal-type his neutral by all Types (in exchange for not hitting any Type super effectively) though there will still be some Types that resist/immune to it.

This isnt exactly little but this is the most fitting thread so... Lol

I'm not super annoyed by it but i think it'd be refreshing to see old pokemon designs remade to make them follow the current design philosophies. A lot of old designs are very forgettable/feel less like a new pokemon and more like filling a quota for tropes to add.
This is very personal because i know theres a lot of nostalgia and marketing with old designs but i cant stand 60% of the pre-gen 6 designs

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The fact that in SS, wild pokemons are sometimes stronger than regular trainers. It is annoying because it makes the purpose of trainers just useless since it is actually better to walk in the tall grass rather than to face people to train your team. It doesn't have much sense either because why do they always catch the weakest mons of the area without training them ? How can you call that a trainer ?

For example in the road 3, you have a girl in the beginning of the road who just has a vulpix at level 12. However, in the same road, it is possible to catch vulpix at level 14 just next to the girl. During the rest of the road, there is no trainer with a mon above the level 14...
Why should I bother beating them if wild pokemons are at best as good and at worst better than regular trainers ?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The fact that in SS, wild pokemons are sometimes stronger than regular trainers. It is annoying because it makes the purpose of trainers just useless since it is actually better to walk in the tall grass rather than to face people to train your team. It doesn't have much sense either because why do they always catch the weakest mons of the area without training them ? How can you call that a trainer ?

For example in the road 3, you have a girl in the beginning of the road who just has a vulpix at level 12. However, in the same road, it is possible to catch vulpix at level 14 just next to the girl. During the rest of the road, there is no trainer with a mon above the level 14...
Why should I bother beating them if wild pokemons are at best as good and at worst better than regular trainers ?
Aside from the fact this isn't really an issue to me, it's not a "problem" exclusive to SWSH. In Platinum for instance Volkner's Electivire (the highest level Pokemon at that point) is Level 50, and then literally the next route over you can encounter Tentacruels, Pelippers and even freaking Mantykes that reach that level, surpassing all the trainers on that route whose Pokemon cap out at Level 45.

Celever

i am town

I think it comes down to gameplay convenience. With the compulsory Exp. All it's much better if the wild Pokémon you catch are close to the levels of your current team because the only way you can train a new Pokémon up to the same level as your other Pokémon is by depositing your current team in the PC first, which firstly is something that many players won't think of and secondly is kind of just a huge hassle. Though what you said is one of my main gripes with having compulsory Exp. All and I agree with the sentiment, I don't think it's the main issue at hand and that Exp. All is the cause of this while causing loads of other issues on top. Wild Pokémon being high-levelled is preferable with compulsory Exp. All, honestly, but compulsory Exp. All sucks so it should be gotten rid of and then wild Pokémon can go back to being weaker.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
My biggest gripe about the high leveled wilds in this game isn't so much due to the trainers, but due to the fact that SwSh slashes the catch rate for wilds that are higher leveled than your battling Pokemon. It makes actually catching new Pokemon to add to your team a massive hassle (seriously, I blew like 20+ Great Balls trying to catch a fucking Stufful in my 1st play through) and causes your own team to get more beat up than it really should just to add something new to your roster

During my 1st visit to the wild area, I quickly became discouraged trying to catch anything I came across in the early zones and just decided not to bother. It doesn't get any better on the linear routes either unless you either overlevel yourself (and make the already weak trainers even more of a pushover) or just use few Pokemon. To me, actively discouraging catching like that reeks of poor game design, especially for the wild area considering its whole shtick is about opening the floodgates for trainers to fill out their teams.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

I'm actually, somehow and in some respects, of the opposite opinion. Recent generations have too few crapmons, if that makes sense. From Gen V onwards, and especially noticeable in Gen VI onwards, they tried to make sure that each Pokémon family had its gimmick or its competitive niche. Every Pokémon seems to be designed to perform some job or another in competitive play, to have its little trick to show the metagame and not be totally useless.

And that's fine, but it also effectively eliminated the potential for future makeovers. Be it through regular evolution, Mega Evolution, new abilities... there just isn't that much to build on when it comes to later-gen upgrades for recent-gen Pokémon. They already have their niche, their gimmick they were designed to play out, and stats balanced around that.

Take the loads of crapmons in Gen II, for instance. When they were new they were interesting, if not overwhelming. In Gen III, their shortcomings became more apparent, but they still had some of their novelty. And in Gen IV they were given badass makeovers to bring them up to speed with the rest of the metagame. 'mons such as Gligar, Sneasel, Togetic or Roselia would have been nothing without their Gen IV evolutions, and thanks to those evolutions the evolution families are cherished to this day, mainstays of many a playthrough. Mediocre Pokémon made great.

But now... it's like there's nothing old and outclassed left to bring into the limelight anymore. Notably, the Pokémon that got new forms and new evolutions in Gens VI-VII were mostly ones from Gens I-III. They're the ones with potential left to unleash. Weezing, Corsola, Farfetch'd, Linoone... they were easy candidates for an upgrade. But what forgettable 'mons are there from recent generations to give the same treatment? Ones that are mediocre and forgettable because they have terrible stats or lack a gimmick that defines them? You might make a case for Pyroar or Swirlix/Aromatisse, but even in those cases, their stats aren't exactly screaming "give me an evolution!" The evolution might then be all but cosmetic without changing much (in a vein similar to Rhydon -> Rhyperior), to avoid being overpowered - which would just make it pointless.

Worst thing is, all this is while more Pokémon than ever are created as single-stage or two-stage evolution families. There are so many evolution families that strictly speaking have room for more members, but it seems like the Pokémon were designed to be fully evolved and usable from the get go, making potential evolutions either overpowered or pointless. We still dream about evolutions for the likes of Chimecho, Qwilfish or Torkoal. There don't seem to be any Pokémon with that same potential in recent generations, and the signal this sends - "don't expect future cross-gen evolutions" is a little sad to me. It's as if a solid border was drawn along the edge of a dream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)