Project SS NU Team Building Competition (Quagsire)

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Round #2: Dubwool

With Scrafty's recent ban, Dubwool faces a lot less competition as a bulky set up Pokemon. I also believe that Dubwool is a fairly underrated Pokemon as it is, too! I think that it'll force people to get out of their Scrafty comfort zone, which has now become something we're all going to have to do anyway. Might as well practice now!
Deadline for submissions is (3 / 27 / 20)
Have fun :toast:!​

Last edited:
:Dubwool: :Sandaconda: :Haunter: :Togedemaru: :Eldegoss: :Clefairy:

Dubwool @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 36 Atk / 232 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Payback
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Eldegoss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
- Pollen Puff

Haunter @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Giga Drain

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Protect

:Dubwool: Speedy offensive Dubwool is my favorite set right now. This set runs enough speed to outrun the Rotoms. The 36 attack EVs allow you to OHKO Haunter from behind a sub. The rest go into defense to make body press do as much damage as possible.

:Sandaconda: Conda is one of the tiers premier rockers and serves as an electric immunity and check to Toge. It pairs well with Dubwool since it does not have a fighting weakness (unlike Rhydon, Piloswine and G-Stunfisk). The speed EVs allow you to outrun modest Abomasnow.

:Haunter: Haunter synergizes with Dubwool well as it helps kill Cofag and is a fighting immunity. DGleam can serve as a third coverage option and let you chip away at Skuntank, but is no longer required with Scrafty out of the tier.

:Togedemaru: Scarf Toge helps vs the Rotoms, provides a flying type check and is probably the best speed control in the tier. Toxic helps pressure Cofag and bulkier teams.

:Eldegoss: Eldegoss serves as a ground resistance and hazard removal. Pollen puff helps annoy opposing Eldegoss and sleep powder can give Dubwool a chance to set up and win the game. This set is physically defensive, allowing it to switch in freely on Conda and Rhydon.

:Clefairy: Clef is the team's fighting resist and cleric. Dubwool sometimes needs to function as a physical pivot and can get chipped by hazards, so it appreciates wish and heal bell support. Conda is also everywhere, so being able to remove paralysis is very helpful right now.

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
:dubwool: :cofagrigus: :toxicroak: :rhydon: :rotom-fan: :sneasel:

As the user above me said, fast Dubwool is probably its best set at the moment, so I decided to make a team around it. Dubwool really appreciates Toxic-Spikes support so Cofagrigus complements this pokemon really well. Cofagrigus not only provides the aforementioned Toxic Spikes, it also provides a solid Fighting-Type counter. The core really dropped to special Toxicroak, so I decided to use one of my own. Scarf Toxicroak is a great check to opposing Toxicroaks since it resists both its stab while also having the potential to OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake. This pokemon also provides a solid form of speed control and can get some surprise kills to pokemon like Haunter that can be annoying to deal with. Using a Fluffy and a Dry Skin pokemon let me really vulnerable to the rare fire type pokemons in the tier, so using specially defensive Rhydon was a great glue. This pokemon can check Haunter if need be while also providing a Solid flying-type resist and Stealth Rocks. Rotom-Fan gives the team another flying-type check and Defog if the team requires it. It also provides a great form of momentum due to volt switch and will-o-wisp support for fighting-type pokemon. Finally Sneasel completes the team, providing a strong wallbreaker and solid check to ghost-type pokemon that really annoy Dubwool.
Sneasel also provides strong priority in Ice Shard which is huge.

E: Some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1085198544
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084647261
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084107832-qy1r12d7p1cw3hl9sx298o7n33qponhpw (even lost to it)

Last edited:
:ss/Dubwool: :ss/Sandaconda: :ss/Cofagrigus: :ss/Silvally: :ss/Haunter: :ss/Garbodor:

Shoutout to Ho3nConfirm3d, for suggesting a few moveset changes after we happened to ladder battle while both testing our comp teams.

Blacksheep (Dubwool) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Rest
- Payback

Sand Fransisco (Sandaconda) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rest

Arabica (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze

Dark Valley (Silvally-Dark) @ Dark Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Connecticut (Haunter) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
- Trick

Wastemanagement (Garbodor) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Stomping Tantrum
- Gunk Shot
- Payback

I opted for Max Speed/Max HP Dubwool on this team with the Payback moveset to allow Dubwool not to get walled by ghosts especially the popular Haunter. The set misses having sleep talk, however overall still functions more or less the same. Jolly max speed allows outspeeding rotoms and other non max speed Dubwools to dent with bodypress before they can get a cotton guard off.

Sandaconda is the teams rocker and a good source of speed control with glare. This sanda set forgoes having stone edge for coverage and instead runs Rest and Rocky Helmet to wear away at the opposing team, while soaking status and resting up. Shed Skin helps it fulfill this role by shedding status off quite often.

Cofagrigus forms a solid core with Dubwool and is a well known physical wall in the tier and can shut down many of NU's physical threats with ease, while still doing some damage work with the combo of body-press and burn+hex. Toxic spikes are mopped up by many choices in NU right now, and so this set is running haze to prevent any set up sweepers from getting too dangerous for the rest of the team to deal with.

Silvally-Dark while packing defog to be the team hazard remover, also adds a dangerous physical presence to the team to ward off enemy ghosts and back up Garbodor and Haunter against psychics. Psychic Fangs is a perfect complimentary coverage move for the powerful Multi-Attacks that will be launched off. SD is necessary to allow it to become threatening when given an opportunity to dance.

Haunter is the scarfer for the team adding a much needed fast ghost to back up the team with its coverage and speed, and also is given opportunities to switch in from both Dubwool and Garbodor. Psychic is used as the coverage move on top of Sludge/Shadow Ball since scrafty is gone and Dazzling Gleam isn't mandatory anymore - Psychic can allow Haunter to switch into Croak and Garb and revenge kill, and also can help to give an option that would both kill opposing haunter but also do damage to a normal-type switch in such as Dubwool.

Garbodor adds a fighting resist for dubwool and a way to soak up toxic spikes. Because of the popularity of Garbodor, Toxicroak and Silvally-Poision, I opted for regular spikes on this team, as dubwool does enjoy hazard support due to the switches it can force with cotton guard walling. I opted for a more offensive/expendable variant of garbodor as Gunk Shot can hit surprisingly hard. This spread runs 200 HP for bulk and 56 speed to outspeed invested base 50's and jolly don. It also runs Payback to switch into choiced haunter and threaten.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
(Ground)

Dubwool @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cursola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Spikes

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Iron Defense
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press

Haunter @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Rock Slide

You've heard of 4Drag2Mag, now get ready for 5Ghosts1Dubwool! Okay, I'm not that crazy, but this team gets pretty close to that sentiment. The idea is that the main issue for Dubwool will always be opposing Ghost-types that can either switch in to its main coverage Body Press and threaten back offensively, or wall out its only other coverage Payback. By having a four Ghost-type Pokemon, the team is meant to spam Shadow Ball while Dubwool is in charge of dealing with Normal- and Dark-types with Body Press.

Dubwool itself is the RestTalk set, and I opted to go fast because more Speed seemed like there was going to be more opportunities to setup rather than say more Def or SpD investment. It can deal with a lot and doesn't mind status or stronger physical wallbreakers thanks to its recovery, but it cannot touch Ghost-types now; you really have to rely on the rest of the team to get rid of the opposing Haunter and Cofagrigus for this to be the win condition. Rocky Helmet is better than Leftovers as you can chip physical attackers you may want to switch into midgame like Togedemaru and Unfezant, while also letting you win the 1v1 against most Cobur Berry Cofagrigus sets thanks to their lack of recovery and inability to hurt you. Cursola and Froslass offer a dual entry hazard lead system that double as being offensive bait to wear down any early Ghost checks that the opponent may throw your way. Haunter and its SubDisable set were chosen again to bait in potential Ghost checks like Galarian Stunfisk, Skunktank, and Silvally-Poison and get free Substitutes off after a Disable gets rid of their one attack for Haunter. Cofagrigus is a much needed Dark-type check thanks to Colbur Berry and Body Press, and with Iron Defense and Trick Room it becomes its own secondary (sometimes primary) Body Press win condition that pairs great when doubling-down with Dubwool. Lastly, as all teams realistically need a Ground-type to prevent Choice Specs Jolteon from pivoting for free, Silvally-Ground is a great extra wallbreaker or cleaner with its coverage and high-speed Ground-typed Multi Attack. It can be a check to the opposing Haunter if in a pinch,

Below are a list of replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084105812 - against Trick Room
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084086601 - Rocky Helmet beating the opposing Cofag
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084094212 - Me losing to Veil Wishcash
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1084083057 - Late game Cofag sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1083988122 - Close game with xerovis, SubDisable Haunter OP
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1083960525 - Dubwool sweeping any unprepared team that sacks a Ghost too early
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1083952975 - Dubwool HO against Clefairy balance

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo, xerovis and allstaar encouraged me to drop my team even tho we already have TSpikes + Dubwool.
Dubwool @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 36 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Substitute
- Body Press
- Payback

Garbodor @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Disable

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 80 HP / 196 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Silvally-Fighting @ Fighting Memory
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

:ss/Dubwool:
Dubwool can be a pain in the a$$. And to make sure you really enjoy this experience I paired it with TSpikes from Garbodor. Im running a similar set to the first one but I like to invest in HP to be a little more bulky on the special side. Moves are standard and the EV spread lets u outspeed the Rotoms and kill Haunter with Payback. Nothing crazy here.

:ss/Garbodor:
His role is pretty obvious; it sets up TSpikes for the team and acts as a Toxicroak answer. Its faster that Adamant Perrserker and the rest is dumped into HP and Def. It also acts as the main Fighting answer for the team. The moves are, again, pretty standard.

:ss/Rhydon:
Since Dubwool is technically weak Fire, I really liked Rhydon as a rocker, that gives me a immunity to electric and an answer to Jolteon and Haunter. The spread is just an old one with a Careful nature to check the mentioned mons better.

:ss/Gourgeist-Small:
Shoutout to leonard (from big bang theory) for bringing this set up. It works so good, especially with TSpikes-support. Amazing speed tier and disable is so funny and forces many switches. (I considered Sub + Disable Froslass with Hex, but liked this one more for the Ground-resist)

:ss/Malamar:
Another mon that works really good with the support from TSpikes: Malamar. This grand the team with an immunity to Psychic and an semi answer to ghosts. The spread lets you outspeed Butterfree and lets you 1vs1 offensive Rhydon. The special investment is just to maximise its special bulk to get more chances to rest off.

:ss/Silvally-Fighting:
Since im lacking a Dark-resist, Silvally-Fighting is my choice since it beats many Dark-types in the tier. Its also pretty good at beating the rockers in the tier so it can Defog pretty good. Rock Slide is for Flyings (you dont say) but it could also be Crunch to hit ghosts.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna give it a shot too! So here we go:

Dubwool @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Payback
- Cotton Guard
- Rest

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press
- Iron Defense

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- U-turn

Mr. Mime-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Screen Cleaner
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Freeze-Dry
- Nasty Plot
- Rapid Spin

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball

Pretty straightforward team that I put together myself. You have your standard annoying Dubwool with max HP and max SpD to help it with potential SpAtkers and give it a chance to stick around. Next, with some experience and help from Ho3nConfirm3d, I went with OTR Cofagrigus as a secondary wincon and a Fighting check. I technically could've went max HP > max SpA, but this has worked for me. Next up is my rocker / normal/flying resist in Rhydon. I went offensive but am considering going with the classic ORAS SpDef set instead to help out the team on that side. Darkvally with an unusual set here looked really nice. The Speed investment allows it to creep and OHKO Toxicroak with Psychic Fangs despite only 80 Atk EVs. It also counts as a 3rd wincon given it has SD. Call me silly, but I needed an Ice resist and a soft special Toxicroak answer. Mime-G worked here and as luck would have it, it serves as my hazard control as well. Lastly, I have special Croak in the last slot. Since the rest of the team (save for Cofagrigus) lacked a Dubwool answer, I went with the frog. I was considering Garbodor here for TSpikes support and/or a Croak answer, but my own Croak just fits the bill either way.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Uh oh, you're making me tiebreak again!

My choices this time are between abejas and xerovis. I've actually used both teams on the ladder a ton and to be honest, I like xerovis' team a lot more merely because Sandaconda is really fucking good in this meta, and it seemed to work out a lot better for me. With that, my vote goes to xerovis!

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This is going to be fun

The gang:
:ss/Arctovish::ss/Arctozolt::ss/Sandaconda::ss/Shiinotic::ss/Silvally-Dark::ss/Toxicroak:
Arctovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Naive Nature
- Facade
- Fishious Rend
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Crash

Arctozolt @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Naive Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

Shiinotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Wave

Ok ok, hear me out. This has potential, i swear!
:Arctovish::Arctozolt:
Starting off with these two, 'cause they are pretty much the same.
I really like the fossils in general. Their signature moves can be so powerful. Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak work the same doubling their base power (85*2=170) when the user attacks first. With that in mind I went on and slapped a Scarf on both of them to ensure that they outspeed as much as possible. Icicle Crash and Freeze-Dry are secondary STABs and are supposed to hit stuff that takes the previously mentioned broken moves.
For Arctovish, Ice STAB hits grass-types and dragon-types, that resist water-attacks. Freeze-Dry is supposed to deal with water-types that resist both of your STABs. The last move is filler and depends on what you want to use. Facade lets you deal damage even if you're getting burned. Body Slam can paralyze the opponent and create some funny scenarios and Stone Edge is really just for Lapras or Abomasnow.
For Arctozolt, Ice STABhits grass-types, dragon-types and ground-types, which resist electric-attacks. Freeze-Dry's main purpose is to have something, when you're facing some random water-ground types or to hit Lanturn (only if you are burned). Stomping Tantrum hits other electric-types like Jolteon or Lanturn for good damage.

:Sandaconda:
Sandaconda gives a much needed resistance to rock-types while also being a soft check for fighting-types. It also provides Steal Rock-support for the team. But the main roll for Sandaconda is, obviously, spreading paralysis to make the fossils do their job and maybe get some para-flinch action with ICrash. Pretty standard set overall but it keeps working.

:Shiinotic:
Im really enjoying this mon lately for its ability to check fighting types. Spore is so good, hitting 100% of the time. Again, Effect Spore, has a chance to paralyze the opponent. I think you get why I want to paralyze the opposing team, right? Fairy-STAB is really good in the current meta and 90 base SpA isn't terrible either (maybe a specs set can work :blobwizard:). I personally like Strength Sap more than Synthesis because it has more PP and the attack drop lets you better 1v1 physical threats. Nothing to crazy.

:Silvally-Dark:
Adding a dark-type to this team makes the matchup against pschic's and ghost's easier. This also forms the Grass-Dark-Poison-core that we build cores with. Silvally-Dark functions as the Defogger of the team and at the same time as a late game sweeper. Multi-Attack is stupidly strong and Psychic Fangs nails the deal with fighting-types like Toxicroak.

:Toxicroak:
To finish of the GDP-core i added Toxicroak. This gives me speed control, priority and a way to kill Dubwool. Its also a grounded poison-type that absorbs TSpikes for the team while acting as a semi check to opposing Toxicroak's. This could be changed to life orb + np or just aoa, but i liked the speed more for the team since my other scarfers aren't that fast.

Thanks for reading. Stay healthy.

EDIT: didn't knew we could add low ladder replays for evidence so here is my replay, where I lucked 6 Casualties in the penultimate turn:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1088346006

Last edited:

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

Noctowl @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Defog

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum
- Toxic

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 236 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Work Up

Arctovish @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Psychic Fangs
- Stone Edge

Made this team around nu kickoff tour time and used it with success in that tour. I wanted to use arcto as fishous reind being doubled in power intrigued me, but its lacking speed + rock weakness was offputting until I tried scarf. Scarf's surprisingly very effective as it's generally unexpected and once you've removed water resists through noctowl, silvally-fire or ice punch rhydon, it cleans more often than not late-game. Psychic fangs mainly to catch toxicroak's off guard in the event that happens (which has happened for me). The team's kinda drampa and sneasel weak; sneasel can be burned with colbur geist and other outs in the rest of the team (even though they don't switch-in that comfortably), drampa is just a general nuisance and I didn't take into consideration when making this mainly just cos not many used it. Voltturn teams w mons like lanturn and leech seed appletun are also nuisances. Other than that I still quite like this team, it's fun and exploits the common fat clef balance very nicely. Also I thought I had more replays but I don't rlly save ladder / tests w other users so rip:

nu kickoff

Last edited:
ight heres the gang

:arctovish: :orbeetle: :haunter: :falinks: :mr-mime-galar: :drampa:

https://pokepast.es/b3d1e863e48b640d

I made this team because I was bored, and I have found some really good success with it. Scarf Arctovish can outspeed a lot of things, but it is still prone to being revenge killed, so once you've got webs up through Orbeetle, killed off the Spinners with the help of Haunter, (Falinks make sure the opponent will never defog), got rid of all the hazards with Mr Mime, and broke the pokemon with water immunities through Drampa, Arctovish has nothing left in its way to stop it from sweeping. This team is kinda sneasel weak; Haunter can revenge kill it with dazzling gleam though. Other than that, this team is cool.

Replay 1: Haunter causes forfeit after Arctovish picks up some kills https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1088069429

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

https://pokepast.es/49cb3e6428f2c31d

vish seemed like a fun mon to build around so i took a stab at it this week. originally i wanted to try a sub+boots set that would come in more easily throughout a game, but i realized i was missing out on a lot of power that i could get by just doing cb and i did that instead. while its still slow, it still manages to force switches vs a lot of rockers which usually does result in a kill. i think its probably a bit lower in viability compared to a scarf set just bc by the end game it does bc a bit more of a dead slot once everything slower than it is dead, though it is a great early game breaker. i paired it up with teleport clef bc its great at pivoting it in and keeping it healthy via wishes, as well as being a good mon to soak up special attacks from the opposing side. cofag seemed like good support via tspikes+wisp, as well as checking the fighting types that come in after vish has claimed one. fisk was the rocker here bc i wanted to be a bit more solid vs haunter, as well as providing twave support to help vish. croak was the scarfer here just to provide some speed as the team otherwise was very slow, and it can revenge threats like haunter/sneasel/etc while also providing knock support and tspike removal for the team. elde was the last mon added as a solid ground resist with boots, as well as a form of removal since vish/cofag/fisk all dont really like rocks/spikes up.

overall i think the team came out pretty good, and while i probably do thing scarf is a bit of a better vish set, cb does have merits and i think this team is able to highlight those.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Arctovish @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Substitute
- Icicle Crash

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Heat Crash

Drampa @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Defog

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Shadow Ball

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Steel Beam

Duosion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Endeavor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Arctovish is a funny mon that I really don't think fits anywhere seriously in the NU meta. It relies on either outspeeding or forcing switches to trigger its Fishious Rend boost, which under normal circumstances isn't too likely. This set at least offers more opportunity in the form of TR support, and with HDB will avoid any Choice-lock of the other sets. That's beneficial as threats like Toxicroak and Gourgiest-Small can't revenge as they'll fear Psychic Fangs or Icicle Crash. Substitute is also great for scouting in these situations and can give protection after TR runs out.

Drampa with HDB and Defog is a necessity I found out as otherwise hazards would deck this team. It's still very strong and finds multiple windows to remove hazards. Rhydon is the last sweeper, and with its dual STAB, SD, and great bulk it can sweep teams even when TR ends. Bronzor is a cool setter that is very hard to 1HKO, and you can use that bulk to get it in Steel Beam range for momentum. Cofagrigus is the main set that everyone's using and works as a good as ever here. Sash Endeavor Duosion is a good anti-sweeper measure that is totally needed otherwise the team falls victim to some of the setup threats.

:ss/orbeetle: :ss/sandaconda: :ss/sawk: :ss/skuntank: :ss/rotom-fan:

Arctovish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Stone Edge
- Icicle Crash

Orbeetle @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Calm Mind
- Bug Buzz
- Psyshock

Sandaconda @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Glare
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Skuntank @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stench
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Explosion

Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Arctovish is a difficult mon to get the most out of as even with scarf, its speed only hits 343 which leaves it outsped by many prominent threats in NU, among which are threatening mons like Scarf versions of Haunter, Togedemaru and Sawk. For this team I opted to include two other methods of speed control in the form of fast webs orbeetle and bulky glare conda. I then chose to go with life orb vish to give it a bit more oomph especially for moves that aren't fishious rend, and to allow vish the freedom to swap moves.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1088878559

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1088657060

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)