Gen 7 SM Monoflying first post :/

Mostly offensive Monoflying team

I am used to mostly copying other people's teams and edit them to create my own but this time I took pokemon from other teams and edited them for my ease. So the reason that its monoflying is because most people use flying types in ou or uu teams. There's not really one pokemon that needs to be carried by the rest of the team instead all the mons are offensive and just there for type coverage. The point of the team is to stall with skarmory and if it doesn't work then the rest of the team has got his back.

The Team:
1588437708630.png

Elde fam (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

This would usually be my lead since its a hard hitter with choice band and if they start with a choice band pokemon then not only can it equalize choice band with intimidate but also knock off the choice band so basically force a switch but even if they don't switch they don't do anything to what I switch into but this lead works especially well on mono psychic and mono ghost teams which it can probably sweep with and it's pretty obvious how, also I chose to put defog on this since when we u turn out when we come back in the setup mon is dead so I can safely defog.

1588438448304.png

Wing Man (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 132 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail

On which sm ou team would you not see this on plus its better on monotype since ice isn't seen a lot which is Gliscors only weakness being a 4x one oh and water two but that's only 2x and that's why I have such a weird stat spread it's to tank water type hits and as you can see I put swords dance on it since it was the only way to to get my attack to 252. It's incredibly helpful when people use an electric move on any other pokemon so I can either switch into this or sac off the other mon to force a switch on their side.

1588439081703.png

ILOVESTALL (Skarmory) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Roar

There's a reason for the name and the leppa berry. The main idea is to set up stealth rocks and roar and roost and roar and roost and roar and roost. You get the idea right? That is until flamethrower ruins it cause that's the only way it can die cause thunder/thunderbolt can be countered by Gliscor and overall there's really not much to write 3 lines about this pokemon so I'm just gonna prolong this sentence by saying that every time I used this on any team other than a mono fairy I never use Iron head but its there because of mono fairy as I just said.

1588439569462.png

Togekissmyface (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

My fav part about this pokemon is the name and 1000 flinches MUU HUU HAHAHA the reason I chose this over Shaymin is because Nasty plot is very helpful. Also Roost like I mean my team is well bulky and who wouldn't expect a bulky mon to have a way of healing. Also, fairy is an amazing typing. Serene Grace with Air Slash is just op. Anyways this is mostly my last call against a strong pokemon.

1588440189079.png

biggy (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Ok I literally have no other reasoning for this other than it has good coverage and it is very strong and solar power combined with drought just makes it stronger.I like Charizard but I kinda don't like Mega Charizard Y because its way to similar to regular Charizard and it looks kinda weird too but I had to include it cause its so fricken strong if it doesn't die any Steel,grass,Rock,Ground,water types don't stand a chance against it so like just forget the looks and look at the damage.

1588441192263.png

Cant talk (Drifblim) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Charge Beam
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Trick

Last but not least this spot for originally for Thunderus yes I know this slot could have been a better mon but I seriously needed an answer for ghost types other than landourus so I chose Drifblim.Suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated since Drifblim is pretty weak if I can get off 3 succsecful charge beams then its good but its very frail so that wont happen.Trick is one way to stop bulky mons from roost/recover or stop bulk up/work up so I guess its good.

And ya thats the team its my first post so plz reply.

full team :

Elde fam (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Wing Man (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 132 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail

ILOVESTALL (Skarmory) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Roar

Togekissmyface (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

biggy (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Cant talk (Drifblim) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Charge Beam
- Thunder
- Trick

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, interesting team, but I have some suggestions that will make your team more optimal.

Major Changes

Skarmory -> Celesteela

->

Despite its very high Defense, Skarmory was rarely seen on Flying teams in SM Monotype because its outclassed by Celesteela as a Steel/Flying type. Celesteela has higher HP, Special Defense, and offensive stats than Skarmory and does a better job at checking Greninja and Kyurem-B. The combination of Leech Seed, Toxic, and Protect can be very annoying for many teams to handle, especially if it gets its Beast Boost and therefore is the superior choice.

Togekiss -> Zapdos
->

Togekiss can put in work with Nasty Plot and Air Slash but its productivity is incomparable to Zapdos thanks to its great typing, Speed, and Pressure ability which works great with the set I have in mind which is SubToxic. Substitute is great for avoiding status from Pokemon such as Porygon2 or gaining momentum on a predicted switch. From there Zapdos can Toxic stall with Substitute + Roost, as well as PP stall with Pressure, making it problematic to deal with for unprepared teams. In addition it can paralyze foes with Discharge and check most Electric-types thanks to its neutrality to Electric and solid bulk.

Drifblim -> Tornadus-T
->

As you said yourself Drifblim is a pretty bad Pokemon and your reasoning for running it is pretty questionable and here's why. Ghost is one of the worst types in SM Monotype and is almost never seen in tournament play. Furthermore the combination of your other Pokemon should be more than enough to handle Ghost teams seeing as it has no good switch-in to Mega Charizard-Y bar Chandelure which is an inferior choice to both Blacephalon and Alolan Marowak, and your defensive core is more than capable of dealing with Ghost-types. Tornadus-T is a great stallbreaker thanks to Taunt, provides you with a second Defog user, can gain momentum with U-turn, and has respectable bulk combined with Regenerator which makes it an excellent pick.

Minor Changes

Gliscor

The more optimal set here in my opinion would be adding Taunt + Defog over Swords Dance and Aqua Tail which doesn't really cover anything that your team can't already handle. You may be wondering why we're adding another Taunt + Defog user and the reason is they work really well as a removal core because outside of match-ups such as Ice which threaten both of them, either of them can reliably use Defog in pretty much every match-up. For example Gliscor is the more reliable remover in the Electric match-up as opposed to Tornadus-T, while against Water-type teams Tornadus-T would be more reliable.

Landorus-T

You lack Speed control on this team so the change I recommend here is Choice Scarf over Choice Band to solve that problem. In addition, I prefer Stone Edge over Knock Off to hit Pokemon such as Kyurem-B, Zapdos, and Dragonite super effectively. Since we added Defog on Gliscor and removed Skarmory which had Stealth Rock, you can add Stealth Rock as the last move if you want hazards on your team. However, that's not totally necessary as Flying uses Defog pretty often to clear Stealth Rock from its side meaning its also removing the rocks on the opponent's side. With this in mind, you can forego hazards if you want and have both Knock Off and Stone Edge on the set.

:ss/charizard-mega-y: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/gliscor: :ss/zapdos: :ss/tornadus-therian: :ss/celesteela:
[click on the sprites for importable]

Hope you find my suggestions useful and good luck with the team!

I agree with everythng else I agree with but what about the serene grace flinches they'll die eventually while zapdos will die earlier

in case this is still relevant:

~ i agree with you that togekiss is perfectly viable, tho you almost definitely want thunder wave as its speed is inadequate to actually have the 60% flinch chance otherwise. particularly since you are not running stealth rock, you benefit from a solid answer to dragonite which will always come in with multiscale intact and togekiss provides that id argue better than skarm/celesteela do bc dragonite never has room to run coverage for it whereas fire punch is reasonably common, and cripples it with twave. togekiss also helps with the dragon matchup generally which will be challenging also bc of bolt/beam kyurem-b. also zard y will greatly appreciate paralysis support to wallbreak bc it is outsped by a lot.
i think twave can replace either nasty plot or dazzling gleam, mostly u are only going to be using air slash, twave and roost anyway. defog could go in the fourth moveslot too, if u want / depending on the rest of the team.

~ the reason for running zapdos (or potentially thundurus-t) is because it is not weak to electric. landorus-t/gliscor are not really sufficient to deal with electric type attacks because many electric attackers carry ice coverage (usually hidden power) which they are 4x weak to. for example, on your original team you would be basically 6-0'ed by standard utility tapu koko as it outspeeds your team, and the many other common bolt beam attackers such as expert belt ice beam/hp electric protean greninja, kyurem-b, etc etc.
zapdos pairs excellently with skarmory/celesteela as a defensive core with no shared weakness, and while pokemon such as tapu koko will always be a big threat to flying zapdos can give you a fighting chance against them that you rly dont have otherwise. also, tapu koko is a big reason why scarf landorus-t is often recommended to outspeed and ohko it, tho the person who gave set comments did not really explain that.
thundurus-t can be used instead of (or possibly even alongside) zapdos, providing an actual electric immunity (tho not to kyurem-b's fusion bolt because of teravolt) rather than a neutrality, but losing the reliable recovery of roost and it is less bulky in general so typically runs an offensive set, with agility and/or nasty plot (tho assault vest isnt completely impossible).
zapdos definitely does not have to replace togekiss tho, i think that suggestion was about including zapdos not about removing togekiss. replacing drifblim with zapdos (or thundurus-t) and keeping the other five pokemon the same i think is perfectly reasonable (using tornadus instead of togekiss is fine too, but i dont want to suggest additional changes to ur team and make it seem like that they are 'necessary').

~ i agree that zard y aesthetically looks rly weird lol, but using either mega zard y or mega aerodactyl is pretty vital on flying and i think mega aero looks pretty weird visually too. your zard y set looks perfect.

~ flying teams that use zard y require a choice scarf user, and with your team (ie the pokemon you suggested but with zapdos or thundurus-t replacing drifblim) landorus-t is really the only option. choiced defog isnt ideal and there are plenty of other pokemon on your team that can run defog instead so i agree with the comment suggesting replacing it with stone edge. i would definitely not put stealth rock on a choice scarf user.

~ i think running a more offensive gliscor is fine, tho aqua tail is not useful as a coverage move. facade is the most 'general' coverage option, having 140bp after toxic orb and providing excellent neutral coverage with eq, knock off is also an option tho u already have knock off on lando-t. the stallbreaker gliscor that was suggested (eq/taunt/defog/roost) i think is considered 'standard' for mono-flying and is fine too. personally i dont rly like a stallbreaker that cant touch staraptor so cant actually accomplish anything vs normal, esp since you dont have stealth rock, but its definitely viable. the swords dance set could fit well on this team due to togekiss's paralysis support, tho you do not have that support against electric but the second attack is very useful there as otherwise u cant touch zapdos/rotom, and you will have chances to come in eg against zeraora and you can potentially set up in front of zapdos if it tries to switch in on earthquake.

~ i agree with the suggestion of celesteela over skarmory, for the reason stated of being able to take on ice beam/hp electric greninja and ice beam/fusion bolt kyurem-b, and ice type attacks in general which are mostly special. if you were using mantine skarmory would be possible (tho celesteela would still prob be preferred), but since you are not i think it needs to be celesteela. the suggested moveset of leech seed/toxic/protect/heavy slam is good, toxic can be replaced by a second attack if you wish, typically flamethrower for ferrothorn and mega scizor, or earthquake for heatran. note celesteela should use physically defensive evs, mainly to be able to take kyurem-b's fusion bolt

~ for zapdos, most common sets are either discharge/substitute/toxic/roost as suggested, or volt switch/heat wave/toxic or defog/roost. what speed you want to reach is flexible and maximize special bulk after that since the most threatening electric attackers are special, other than zeraora which is walled by gliscor. (volt switch sets generally choose to invest less in speed bc a slow pivot can be beneficial.)
if you choose to use thundurus-t instead of zapdos, i think agility + nasty plot is considered standard (thunderbolt + hp ice for coverage), but i like to run (at least) 3 attacks so that i have room for sludge bomb for tapu koko. your team should have ample ways to deal with both ferrothorn and m-venusaur on any of their types so thunderbolt + sludge bomb + grass knot could be decent coverage, hp ice, dark pulse for alolan raichu, focus blast, there are various coverage options and they all have key disadvantages. i prefer agility to nasty plot because electric and fairy are the types i want thundurus-t to beat if i am running it and that is the best set up move against those teams. i have only used thundurus-t on mega aerodactyl teams, and i feel like zapdos is prob the better fit on your team but i wanted to note it as an option

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)