Playoffs Smogon Tour Season 29 Playoffs - Finals [Won by ABR]

100p will win the whole tournament.

proud you made it this far buddy. in just a couple months you went from an already really good player to an absolute machine. i've seen the grind, and you've really honed your skills and patched up your weaknesses. goes to show what some effort can do in this game.

this guy has all the makings of a top player. his understanding of the metagames he plays and his ability to quickly dissect and figure out metas he's new to is absurd. on top of that, his play is just so solid... amazing game planning abilities, especially shows in those long grindy games, but also capable of ending things quickly. do not sleep on the kid.

1. Empo VS. 16. Tiebreak winner
2. ABR VS. 15. Ash KetchumGamer
3. Finchinator VS. 14. Corazan
4. SoulWind VS. 13. McMeghan
5. 100percentpureheat VS. 12. Bloody alfa
6. Sayuze VS. 11. MS3D
7. Santu VS. 10. Eeveeto
8. Pohjis VS. 9. RedEmption

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Tiebreak
16. Raiza (60) VS. (40) 16. Typhlosion48 - Cool match-up for a tiebreak. Typhlosion has quietly made waves in officials over the last year or two whereas Raiza has been on the brink of excellence recently himself. I feel like Raiza is the stronger overall player and likely has been around long enough to fully grasp ORAS whereas Typhlosion is more likely to thrive in SM or even SS. Overall, I would slightly favor Raiza due to experience and likely support (see: Italy), but I think Typh will take at least one of SS/SM to make it go three.

Round 1

1. Empo (70) VS. 16. Tiebreak winner - No matter who advances, Empo will be favored. He has demonstrated unprecedented levels of dominance in recent months across SS and SM. His ORAS is no joke either, but he's probably more beatable here than the other two at least. I think that he matches up well against both and should not have much trouble here.
2. ABR (65) VS. 15. Ash KetchumGamer - ABR is probably the favorite in this field despite Empo's ridiculous regular season. Regardless of who may be favored overall, ABR is surely favored in this match-up in particular. Ash may be able to take a game because he uses surprising teams and makes some aggressive plays, which he deserves a lot of credit for, but ABR is fundamentally sound and much less likely to misplay throughout the series.
3. Finchinator VS. 14. Corazan - Sunday 4pm GMT-4, looking forward to it and have fun!
4. SoulWind (51) VS. (49) 13. McMeghan - This is as close as it gets. I think that I favor SoulWind just because McMeghan is more likely to bring nonsense, but SoulWind has made some poor plays down the stretch of some important ORAS/SM games which dissuades me from favoring him more heavily. I think both are phenomenal players and even if these are not their best tiers, either could win in this field without surprising anyone. This being a round one pairing is just dumb tbh, but yea I favor SoulWind ever-so-slightly and expect it to go three.
5. 100percentpureheat (55) VS. (45) 12. Bloody alfa - 100p is the future of SS OU if he doesn't get himself banned before that future becomes a reality. His teambuilding is great and he does not seem too scared of the moment either. I think that neither stands out much in SM or ORAS, so I will just favor 100p overall slightly and consider the other two metagames virtual coinflips.
6. Sayuze (55) VS. (45) 11. MS3D - I don't know much about MS3D, but Sayuze is not bad at all. I think he has a little bit to go to be considered a mainstay in team tournaments still, but he is very motivated and can handle SS / SM decently enough. I do not feel too strongly about this one though.
7. Santu (60) VS. (40) 10. Eeveeto - Santu quietly has had a nice streak of success recently. His ORAS is superior here and I don't think Eeveeto thrives in any particular metagame so much as he does well when his surprise value picks do well. He can beat anyone in any tier, but he can also fall well short of winning, too, if he goes too far. Santu seems like the more consistent pick and he has had more success historically, so I will give him a solid edge.
8. Pohjis (65) VS. (35) 9. RedEmption - Pohjis is just better overall. RedEmption is not good at handling late games when under pressure and Pohjis is a pretty strong player throughout all metagames.

tfw I don't pick one upset :psygrump:

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Somehow, I am now in charge of posting the Smogon Tour records, a tradition started by Slimmer.

These are some of the records featured during this season:
  • This is the first playoffs appearance for 100percentpureheat, Sayuze, MS3D, Bloody alfa, Corazan, Ash KetchumGamer, and the winner of Raiza vs. Typhlosion48 for the qualifying tiebreaker.
  • SoulWind still holds the current record for playoffs appearances at an astonishing 12!
    • As for other qualifiers, this is the second Smogon Tour Playoffs appearance for Santu (ST27, ST29), RedEmption (ST28, ST29), Eeveeto (ST27, ST29), third for Pohjis (ST24, ST28, ST29), sixth for Empo (ST23-ST26, ST28, ST29) and Finchinator (ST18, ST22, ST26, ST27, ST28, ST29), seventh for ABR (ST23 - ST29), tenth for McMeghan (ST12-ST15, ST17, ST18, ST20, ST27, ST28, ST29).
  • ABR has now tied with Bloo for the most number of consecutive playoffs appearances at 7 (ABR: ST23 - ST29, Bloo: ST12 - ST18)! Honorable mentions go to Kevin Garrett, Leftiez, blunder, and SoulWind (5), Giga Punch, Bluewind, Loki, Empo, McMeghan (4).
  • McMeghan has taken the record of player with the longest time span between first playoffs appearance and last (first: ST12, last: ST29), which was previously held by him and Bad Ass (first: ST10, last: ST26).
  • Finchinator has to make it to Round 2 to stop his downward trend (ST26: Final | ST27: R2 | ST28: R1), while McMeghan has to take the trophy home to continue his upward trend (ST27: R1 | ST28: Final).
  • Eeveeto and RedEmption have never made it past Round 1, while Empo, Pohjis, and Santu have never made it past Round 2. Will they break into the later rounds this season?
  • Matchups information coming soon!
Let me know if I need to correct anything, spreadsheet used to keep track of all of this is here!

Last edited:

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
1. Empo VS. 16. Tiebreak winner - Empo is good at ORAS, great at SS and fantastic at SM. I hope his ORAS won't stop him vs. the very tough opponents that are gonna come. His two likely opponents seem competent, but considering how consistent Empo has been I don't see them beating him.
2. ABR VS. 15. Ash KetchumGamer - Probably the most complete player in those three gens, not much more to say. Happy for Ash that he finally made POs.
3. Finchinator VS. 14. Corazan - Yeah, I am predicting an upset here. BW not being in STour really hurts Finch and I have a feeling in my gut that his opponent will be able to take him down.
4. SoulWind VS. 13. McMeghan - It leaves me quite sad that those two won't play a BW game. Both are great players and especially McM has a very unique style. However, I think SW is slightly more well versed in the three tiers. This has potential to be a great series for sure.
5. 100percentpureheat VS. 12. Bloody alfa - Both are interesting newcomers. Going with Bloody alfa cause I have seen more of his games and I think he's good.
6. Sayuze VS. 11. MS3D - Don't really know much about his opponent and he has what it takes.
7. Santu VS. 10. Eeveeto - Both are good players. I feel like you never really know what you get with Eeveeto in OU though. He is prob gonna MU fish using crazy shit + I think Santu is one of the top contenders for the trophy.
8. Pohjis VS. 9. RedEmption - Simply the better player imo :s

GL to everyone participating!

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Giorgio Santuz (Udine, 23 January 1936) is an Italian politician and teacher

By profession, he held the position of president of the Friuli Authority in the world and of the company Autovie Venete.

Deputy Christian Democrat from 1972 to 1992, he held the position of Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs in the Andreotti V, Cossiga I and Fanfani VI governments, public works in the Forlani, Spadolini I and II governments, treasury in Fanfani V, industry, commerce and crafts in the Craxi II government, as well as minister of public function in the Goria government and minister of transport in the De Mita government.

It was mentioned in the book La Casta (pages 208-209) in relation to a plea bargain precisely for a story related to Autovie Venete.

On 13 June 1992 he received a guarantee notice for an investigation relating to bribes for Malpensa airport as part of the clean hands investigation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)